• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Why is my Pixel 3 XL still showing no OTA update? (Google Fi)

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I read the only two year old Galaxy S8 won't be getting 10. Is this true? If so this is terrible support and exactly what scares me away from switching to Android.

That's about the best support you're going to get on Android outside of Google Pixels, maybe Nokia/OnePlus, and Essential (lol).

Time_Taken_by_Top_10_Manufacturers_to_Upgrade_Portfolios_to_the_Latest_Android_Version_768x603.png

Cap'n Cook

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. Why is my Pixel 3 XL still showing no OTA update? (Google Fi)

Try pressing check for update over and over again. I'm on Google fi and updated my pixel 2xl yesterday morning, when I first checked for the update it popped right up but I canceled it. When I checked again it wasn't there, kept pressing check for update until it finally came up again.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I read the only two year old Galaxy S8 won't be getting 10. Is this true? If so this is terrible support and exactly what scares me away from switching to Android.

Yeah, its usually like that with samsung, but it also depends on how much you care about the latest android. My main phone is a galaxy s9 and I didnt even bother upgrading to android 9 until last month. If it eventually gets android 10 I might not even bother.

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
The back function implementation with gestures is truly awful, I've seen how it's gradually changed in the beta and they never did get it right.

Cowering in the coner of the room our hero weeps for several minutes, uttering barely audible words bubbling through a wall of mucus and tears but then, our brave hero remembers not only Samsung makes phones

Gesture navigation was very poorly conceived. It's directly conflicting with any similar app gesture implementation, and less effective than Android 9's two button navigation. They also neutered two button navigation in Android 10, meaning I'm ultimately stuck with less effective UI mobility.

I like dark mode, though. It took long enough to come back, and I'm hoping the rest of Google's apps like Gmail, maps, and assistant adopt it soon.
Can you explain to me how? I feel like it's totally messed up but can't put my finger on it. I can see they've changed the fast-switching.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The back function implementation with gestures is truly awful, I've seen how it's gradually changed in the beta and they never did get it right.

Cowering in the coner of the room our hero weeps for several minutes, uttering barely audible words bubbling through a wall of mucus and tears but then, our brave hero remembers not only Samsung makes phones

Can you explain to me how? I feel like it's totally messed up but can't put my finger on it. I can see they've changed the fast-switching.
You nailed it. Users can't hold the center button while swiping rapidly left and right to access any of their open apps. We're stuck swiping up, and scrolling left or right in two separate motions.

Strangiato

Oct 28, 2017

Thanks for the pointless and entirely unhelpful response.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Ok, I need to rant about Android and my Pixel 2. One thing that has never worked as well as it should and I'm noticing it today in work more than ever...

Auto brightness. It's just too sensitive. My iPad can deal with this perfectly and makes smooth transitions when needed if the room brightness changes. My Pixel 2. It's up and down, makes very obvious, not gradual, changes to the screen brightness in response to seemingly everything. It's just becoming annoying now. At home I can be watching the TV in my room and it even adjusts over dramatically based on scene by scene stuff happening on my TV. It's just too extreme.

Argh!

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Ok, I need to rant about Android and my Pixel 2. One thing that has never worked as well as it should and I'm noticing it today in work more than ever...

Auto brightness. It's just too sensitive. My iPad can deal with this perfectly and makes smooth transitions when needed if the room brightness changes. My Pixel 2. It's up and down, makes very obvious, not gradual, changes to the screen brightness in response to seemingly everything. It's just becoming annoying now. At home I can be watching the TV in my room and it even adjusts over dramatically based on scene by scene stuff happening on my TV. It's just too extreme.

Argh!
I agree. One of the main reasons I turned it off is because it doesn't exactly do what I thought Google wait it was supposed to. I don't like a lot of brightness and the sensitivity is too harsh so it often defaults to s much brighter setting even in low light conditions. I've had Note phones the last 2 upgrades and those screens don't really need super bright settings so I just manually deal with it which isn't a big deal.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Using the full gesture control, why do we get little corner icons in the bottom left and right every time we swipe up to go home? Seems to just be letting you know you can swipe from the corner to activate Google Assistant. That's nice... Now that I know that can I please turn this off!

oledome

Oct 25, 2017
You nailed it. Users can't hold the center button while swiping rapidly left and right to access any of their open apps. We're stuck swiping up, and scrolling left or right in two separate motions.
That's the one! they've removed being able to use the pill for left and right when side scrolling open apps, bleeugh. The other thing is that a right swipe on the pill on any screen would switch to the previous app, and doing so again would switch back. Now rather than doing that it will continue scrolling through all open apps, they've effectively killed the function that's really handy say if you're referring info from one app to another, it only works with 3 button navigation now by double tapping the switch apps button.

I've been going between all three navigation types today, it's a living nightmare

DavidDesu I've been really frustrated with auto-brightness in the past but find it works considerably better on the Pixel 3 compared to the Pixel 1 I had, maybe it's related to the hardware? Still not as good as on the iPhone

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Using the full gesture control, why do we get little corner icons in the bottom left and right every time we swipe up to go home? Seems to just be letting you know you can swipe from the corner to activate Google Assistant. That's nice... Now that I know that can I please turn this off!

I thought the same thing after the second time it happened lol.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
The share sheet is awful for me now. I've got a bunch of contacts that are businesses that send me texts coming up to share to, and my girlfriend who I WhatsApp everyday doesn't show up at all like it used to. Epic fucking fail there.

Deleted member 32726

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
I got it the first day through Verizon on my Pixel 3.
I really liked swiping right from the bottom to switch apps, but it needed to feel smoother. The new "swipe kinda up and to the right/left" to quickly switch apps is finicky when I'm in a pinch. Also it's less efficient having to shuffle one at a time, compared to swiping right and stopping at your app.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
I had them in the betas, but now they are gone. I didn't change any settings.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So I updated my Pixel 3 and it's been mostly fine so far but I've noticed one issue so far...

I use the official Pixel Stand and if I leave my phone on it overnight, when I pick it up in the morning it doesn't wake up automatically... Basically I need to hit the power button on the side to wake the screen up.

Not a huge deal but anybody else seen this?

OP
OP
GK86

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
So I updated my Pixel 3 and it's been mostly fine so far but I've noticed one issue so far...

I use the official Pixel Stand and if I leave my phone on it overnight, when I pick it up in the morning it doesn't wake up automatically... Basically I need to hit the power button on the side to wake the screen up.

Not a huge deal but anybody else seen this?

I don't have one, but I have seen threads on Reddit about Pixel Stand issues. Might want to check there.