• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Unleash Ryzen 4000 and Ampere in August / September just in time for Cyberpunk!

www.tomshardware.com

Report: AMD Ryzen 4000 Desktop CPUs Arriving in September Timeframe

Intel Comet Lake on desktop also gets an alleged release date.
DigiTimes' sources claimed that AMD's original plan was to reveal Ryzen 4000-series (codename Vermeer) desktop processors at Computex 2020 in May. But Computex has been pushed to September, due to the coronavirus pandemic. There are murmurs that the Taiwanese show might even be cancelled this year, depending on how the pandemic progresses. Nevertheless, DigiTimes' sources claim that AMD will unleash its new army of Ryzen 4000-series chips after August or September.

Vermeer is rumored to take advantage of AMD's next-generation Zen 3 microarchitecture. Given AMD's relationship with TSMC, the chipmaker will likely continue to leverage the foundry's production capabilities for these chips, except this time around, AMD could exploit TSMC's enhanced 7nm process node.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
If the rumoured 10-15% IPC gain is true (and also 200-300mhz for each chip) we're in for a treat.

Scraggs

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but will existing 450 + 570 motherboards take these chips? I know Zen3 is a new architecture but is it the same socket?

Mar 23, 2018
Just bought a 9600KF online yesterday from an 8100 which was underpowered since the mobo was compatible... this is tempting me to hold off if the gains would be large enough

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
I'm only expecting +100mhz on boost clocks but 10-15% IPC will make these epic. Expect 4600, 4700X and 4900X to release first if they follow Ryzen 3000 schedule but because these have been backed up, they might release the 4500 and 4600X etc at same time.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i'm good with my 9900K but will be replacing my 2080 with a 3080 Ti. i might give AMD another chance once DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 are out. i bought a 3700X and had nothing but trouble with it.

Deleted member 11479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just use a B450 or whatever you have right now.
I'm still on Intel's Skylake. Nearing the end of my usual 4-5-year upgrade cycle. I've considered older, passively cooled motherboards for Ryzen, but have not really found one that meets my needs at a reasonable price and availability. I really hope AMD managed to make the new chipsets more power efficient.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Good, I'm glad I got my 5600XT and not a Zen2 mobo/cpu, yet. Will make the jump that much sweeter to go from a 4c Intel to a 6c/12t or 8c16t AMD.

Last edited:

Onix555

Apr 23, 2019
UK
I'm still on Intel's Skylake. Nearing the end of my usual 4-5-year upgrade cycle. I've considered older, passively cooled motherboards for Ryzen, but have not really found one that meets my needs at a reasonable price and availability. I really hope AMD managed to make the new chipsets more power efficient.
What are your needs?
I'm guessing specific IO or something?

Also the power efficiency on them is fine, though PCIE4 on X570 generates a lot of heat with Gen 4 SSD's. Data transfer is pretty wild

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Holy crap I hope this is true.

I've been meaning to upgrade my PC with a 3900x, but if this is coming out right on my birthday, I'll just hold out till then.

Galaxea

Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Are these going to be compatible for the b450 tomahawk max motherboards or a new upgrade? I am fine with my 3600 at the moment but I might get tempted when it arrives.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Are these going to be compatible for the b450 tomahawk max motherboards or a new upgrade? I am fine with my 3600 at the moment but I might get tempted when it arrives.

Considering even garbage level A320 motherboards were updated with 16-Core 3950X support I'd say you're probably covered.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I didn't realise. Cheers!

How does it perform for gaming, do developers optimise for the extra cores / threads?

I recently upgraded my computer and switched over to AMD with the 3950x. I previously had the 8700k oc'd at 4.8 with a 2080ti. I still have the same graphics card, but with the 3950x in gaming mode/PBO, I get less performance. For example, in RDR2, in most locations I got an average around 56-60 fps with my in game settings. Now I get around 48-52 with the same settings (although the difference may also have to do with switching to the Vulkan API, I should check that). My cores don't clock over 4.65, even though boost is advertised as 4.8. And its not a constant clock speed across all the cores. Instead most will boost to only around 4.3 - 4.45 under load, with only a couple hitting 4.65 for brief moments. I am kind of disappointed with its gaming performance, and I have a little bit of buyer's remorse. But that is really my fault for not fully researching the differences between AMD and Intel CPUs and overclocking. Still, the CPU is a huge improvement over the 8700k when it comes to my design and rendering applications.

EDIT: Seems like my performance drop in RDR2 is from using the Vulkan API setting. When I switch it to DX12, I get similar performance to what I remember with the 8700k. After further testing, it seems like my original assessment is closer to the truth. I get higher peak fps with DX12, but on average it I am still getting around 48-52 fps with the 3950x

Last edited:

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
As long as AMD keeps on pumping out amazing processors, intel gets zero of my money.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I recently upgraded my computer and switched over to AMD with the 3950x. I previously had the 8700k oc'd at 4.8 with a 2080ti. I still have the same graphics card, but with the 3950x in gaming mode/PBO, I get less performance. For example, in RDR2, in most locations I got an average around 56-60 fps with my in game settings. Now I get around 48-52 with the same settings (although the difference may also have to do with switching to the Vulkan API, I should check that). My cores don't clock over 4.65, even though boost is advertised as 4.8. And its not a constant clock speed across all the cores. Instead most will boost to only around 4.3 - 4.45 under load, with only a couple hitting 4.65 for brief moments. I am kind of disappointed with its gaming performance, and I have a little bit of buyer's remorse. But that is really my fault for not fully researching the differences between AMD and Intel CPUs and overclocking. Still, the CPU is a huge improvement over the 8700k when it comes to my design and rendering applications.
Just fyi in case you didn't know, but gaming mode on the Ryzen Master turns off some of your cores. I didn't realized that when i was using it with my 3900x until someone on this forum pointed it out to me.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Will these be the Zen to buy if im looking a completely new build to last me 5+ years into the next console cycle or would Zen4 be the one to wait for?

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Probably would have purchased a 3900x (from a 2500k) if it were not for the pandemic, at this point it makes more sense for me to wait for Zen 3 than purchase right now.

This is my last wait to purchase the next thing on the horizon, I'd rather not wait for the DDR5 ecosystem.

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017

If you're strictly gaming, then I always say to just stick with Intel. Otherwise, AMD is the way to go these days if you also render, transcode or edit.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
If games start to become CPU heavy due to the new consoles having 8C/16T Zen 2s, then the extra cores of the 3900X/4900X might be beneficial for running background programs (Launchers/Browsers/BloatedElectronAppsLikeDiscord/Streaming/Etc). That's a factor that isn't really being represented yet in the current gaming benchmarks.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you're strictly gaming, then I always say to just stick with Intel. Otherwise, AMD is the way to go these days if you also render, transcode or edit.

Yeah that is what I figured when I made the switch. I wanted the 16 cores for rendering applications and parallel processing in my coding projects. I also thought that with the new consoles on the horizon, most new games will be built from the ground up with multicore CPU's in mind. So to me, more cores = future proofing. I hope that turns out to be true, but I didn't realize I would be taking such a hit with gaming performance right now.

Mecha Meister

Next-Gen Guru
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom

Hmm, that doesn't sound right to me. A CPU like that shouldn't be CPU-bound in RDR2 in the 60 fps range. If you don't mind me asking what settings and resolution are you running the game at?

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
There is always going to be something better around the corner, but you are going to be fine under Zen 3 for the console generation.
I mean, yeah there always is something in the pipeline, but I'm worried that the consoles will be based on Zen4 not 2 or 3 and i'd be starting behind the 8ball from the get go, as it were.
I'm coming off a i5-3570, so either would be a massive improvement, but you've calmed the fears.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
I mean, yeah there always is something in the pipeline, but I'm worried that the consoles will be based on Zen4 not 2 or 3 and i'd be starting behind the 8ball from the get go, as it were.
I'm coming off a i5-3570, so either would be a massive improvement, but you've calmed the fears.
Consoles will be zen 2 based. Zen 4 cpus won't release until late next year lol so no worries :D

OP
OP
Earvin Infinity
Oct 27, 2017
If games start to become CPU heavy due to the new consoles having 8C/16T Zen 2s, then the extra cores of the 3900X/4900X might be beneficial for running background programs (Launchers/Browsers/BloatedElectronAppsLikeDiscord/Streaming/Etc). That's a factor that isn't really being represented yet in the current gaming benchmarks.

Intel is already marketing this as a feature in their upcoming CPUs launching soon.

Intel-Core-i9-10900K-Specs.jpg

thePopaShots

Nov 27, 2017
I'll probably make the jump from a 3600 to a 4900 this fall, and wait a year to upgrade my GPU from a 2070 Super, and call it good for five years or so. Not much more I can do on this MoBO besides upgrade ram, already have an M.2 NVME SSD.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Man this rumor came at the perfect time. I've legit had both the 3950x and the 9900k in my amazon cart with my finger hovering over the purchase button. My biggest concern is trying to determine what ends up being the best run for high framerate gaming @ higher resolutions (ex: 1440 to 4k). Intel's rumored 10th gen seems like it'll be hell to try to keep cool, and the 3 series from AMD seems like it's almost there, but it'll require a change in how cores are used to really shine at the moment. I'm glad I can see what AMD may offer in a few months and see if it'll hit the boxes I need to switch over!

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Man this rumor came at the perfect time. I've legit had both the 3950x and the 9900k in my amazon cart with my finger hovering over the purchase button. My biggest concern is trying to determine what ends up being the best run for high framerate gaming @ higher resolutions (ex: 1440 to 4k). Intel's rumored 10th gen seems like it'll be hell to try to keep cool, and the 3 series from AMD seems like it's almost there, but it'll require a change in how cores are used to really shine at the moment. I'm glad I can see what AMD may offer in a few months and see if it'll hit the boxes I need to switch over!
The 3950x is going to be more than fine/overkill for next generation and if you are gaming at 1440p-4k you are going to be gpu bound anyways.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
The 3950x is going to be more than fine/overkill for next generation and if you are gaming at 1440p-4k you are going to be gpu bound anyways.

True - I should have clarified that I am under the assumption that Nvidia also releases a beefy 3xxx series to the point where the CPU has a bit more relevancy this go round.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, I wonder when / where / how they'll do the announcement since Computex is delayed (and maybe cancelled).