• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Multiple new SKUs have been submitted to EEC by AFOX, a board partner of both AMD and NVIDIA. The interesting part is that their cards usually launch with weeks or even months of delay. That said, it is surprising to see yet unreleased Radeon graphics cards such as RX 5950XT, RX 5900 or RX 5800XT showing up this early thanks to AFOX. The company does not even have any RX 5000 model listed on their website.

However, this is not the first time we are hearing about these SKUs. Back in June 2019, Sapphire submitted an almost identical list to EEC. That was even before the Radeon RX 5700 series launched. That gave a hope that AMD may actually launch the full series in 2019 but in the end, that was not the story.

Although AMD confirmed that Big Navi is happening, no one really knows if the GPU will launch as a part of the Radeon RX 5000 series or RX 6000. In fact, it could launch as a new series altogether, like RX Vega or R9 Fury. So where does RX 5950XT fit in this story? We don't know yet.
AFOX-Radeon-RX-5950XT.png

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Ooo, now I'm slightly more excited. I was expecting this to still be quite a bit ways out. Perhaps its closer than I guessed (time will tell).

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
How are AMDs drivers nowadays compared to Nvidia re: stability? I've been an Nvidia user since the TNT2 Ultra but the new AMD cards intrigue me, I just keep seeing horror stories about the drivers being very unstable.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
How are AMDs drivers nowadays compared to Nvidia re: stability? I've been an Nvidia user since the TNT2 Ultra but the new AMD cards intrigue me, I just keep seeing horror stories about the drivers being very unstable.
reviews on cards are rife with driver issues, i'm too wary to try it myself but last time I asked on the PC build thread most seem to have said its ok/have found stable drivers

Last edited:

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
reviews on cards are rife with driver issues, i'm too wary to try it myself but least time I asked on the PC build thread most seem to have said its ok/have found stable drivers

Issues were not specific drivers/suite, was microcode specifically for 5700 series. WHich were rushed from amd and board partners. Drivers for polaris, vega cards are and were solid.

Radeon Vii was rough but was corrected within first month or so of card's launch. Actually if reviewers had the drivers from March/April reviews would have looked a little different.

Oct 27, 2017
It's disappointing to hear about the continued software issues with AMD cards given the headway they've made on the price to performance on the hardware side. I'd be lying if I said that didn't give me major pause about switching from Nvidia (but man, I'd love to). I hope the next round of cards from them sorts it out!

Kareha

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
United Kingdom
reviews on cards are rife with driver issues, i'm too wary to try it myself but last time I asked on the PC build thread most seem to have said its ok/have found stable drivers

Thanks for the answer, will check out the reviews if it is Big Navi that is coming. I have a 1080 Ti at the moment but I do want to upgrade at some point as I'm getting the itch.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could they get new stuff out in time for Cyberpunk?

Because I need nee stuff for cyberpunk

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
The 7nm GPU war has begun. With Nvidia announcing their cards early in march being rumored these new products will be in direct competition. Hopefully AMD brings the heat so we have competitive pricing.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't the rumor that Nvidia's stuff is coming in August? It would be great if the GPU competition started early.
Yeah, I'd heard August as well. If AMD and Nvidia are moving plans up to get the Cyberpunk upgraders, great, but I've personally not heard anything to indicate that's going to happen. Especially in the light of AMD firing a blank in the form of the 5500XT.

TronLight

Jun 17, 2018
I wonder if with these new cards there's going to be a 5700XT price cut.
I just bought one, like today. Damn.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Bring that 30% performance over the 2080Ti for 699. Shake the market to its core.

After seeing those gaudy-ass numbers on the Threadripper 3990X, anything is possible.

If they manage that kind of improvement and keep it below $1000, let alone at the Radeon VII price point, they will have ended the game.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
This is likely just a blanket declaration of possible trademarks / product names to the customs authorities. Doesn't mean anything regarding such products existence or the timeframe of their introduction. It just makes sense to cover all possible options in one sweep.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Doubt it. I think all these cards from AMD and Nvidia are coming second half. Its going to be a war.
It's never been more than a month or so between a new GPU announcement and it going on sale for NV during the last ten or so years. I don't see why it would change with Ampere, considering that Turing is still unbeatable in features and performance (and price).

That being said, GTC is a compute/AI focused event and it's highly likely that this Ampere which will be announced there will end up being GA100/AM100, a replacement for GV100 Volta. And it will likely become widely available at the end of the year, similar to how it was with GV100 and GP100 previously.