• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
What card do you have sapphire? Reference? I've had a rx 480, and then upgraded to Radeon 7. outside of making custom profiles that sometimes need to be tweaked have not had any issues.

I have a PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 - the same model that GN Steve used to get his RTX 2070 matching results OC'd. I run mine at 1650/975, tested and stable. *I* haven't had the issues with 19.12.2 and beyond, but that's because I've been on 19.12.1 and haven't budged yet. However, I got replies to my PC review for Dragon Quest Builders 2 that it wasn't working for them on AMD GPUs, and its a known issue on both the game's Steam Community Forum as well as on r/AMD.

The Navi 1080p issues have been a consistent point of contention since launch on r/AMD, too.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
I have a PowerColor Red Dragon Vega 56 - the same model that GN Steve used to get his RTX 2070 matching results OC'd. I run mine at 1650/975, tested and stable. *I* haven't had the issues with 19.12.2 and beyond, but that's because I've been on 19.12.1 and haven't budged yet. However, I got replies to my PC review for Dragon Quest Builders 2 that it wasn't working for them on AMD GPUs, and its a known issue on both the game's Steam Community Forum as well as on r/AMD.

The Navi 1080p issues have been a consistent point of contention since launch on r/AMD, too.

Those I totally understand were rushed micro-code for the 5700 series. WHich is why reviews were so harsh and for good reason. AMD wanted to get them out to combat super/non-super lineup since they were done making vega for a while. Sucks that they just now are getting them stable.

I understand that if you want better stability then go nvidia, no problem with that. But you pay for that out the ass in my opinion. I was a dedicated nvidia guy up till the launch of 900 series.

I switched and fell in love with Sapphire made cards. And like how they improve performance for older cards as time goes on. I mean thats probably more Q&C happening that nvidia gets right out of the gate.

I just think interms of software feature set AMD runs circles around nvidia.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Let me put it this way - OpenGL and VR, in general, have been absolutely borked on AMD GPUs on Windows for over a month. Multiple games have been crashing to desktop on the latest drivers for a month.

There's expected issues with a new architecture, sure, but issues like this - across both GCN *and* RDNA - half a year later is unacceptable.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
Expected a bit more to be honest. It'll do but if AMD continue to price-match Nvidia then I still won't be going anywhere near it.

I was looking to AMD to help fix the GPU prices but with their last announcement it seems they want to keep the status quo, which even Nvidia said they wanted to bring down.

As much as it will hurt, I might end up delaying a purchase until the year after the consoles because I feel like they can't keep this up forever. They've got to give more value for what they're charging. I'll buy the 3080Ti only if it improves over 65% from the 2080Ti. Otherwise I need more gains for next-gen 144fps+ and I'll wait some bloody more.

I'm not paying double what I did for 980Ti for only a little over twice the performance 5 fucking years later. 3-4x the performance and I'll bite.

Last edited:

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wish this would be able to contend against high end Ampere so that there could be a price war... But Ampere is just going to crush this. Jensen is probably giddy with excitement for the opportunity to announce Ampere as soon as AMD makes a press release for Big Navi.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
I wish this would be able to contend against high end Ampere so that there could be a price war... But Ampere is just going to crush this. Jensen is probably giddy with excitement for the opportunity to announce Ampere as soon as AMD makes a press release for Big Navi.

Times like this I think about the fact that Jensen and Lisa Su are cousins. Must be awkward holidays!

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Beating a two year old NV top range GPU by 15% won't be enough to compete in high end when NV will launch its new lineup.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be sad if AMD didn't price it at $1200 US dollars.

No I imagine it won't be $1200, but if this is their highest end card it's going to be another embarrassing release for them, especially with the 3000 series right around the corner if rumors are to be believed.

Wet Jimmy

Nov 11, 2017
So presumably at the time this Rumoured card launches, NVIDIA will have just announced the RTX 3-series and once again AMD will be left in the dust with both hardware and software struggling to keep up?

Unless cost is your only consideration, I don't get why you'd jump onboard the AMD GPU train.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
I wouldn't be sad if AMD didn't price it at $1200 US dollars.

Exactly, if it was $800 or less, praises go to AMD. Good job.

If it's anywhere close to $1000+ like we're fearing, then so long AMD and good luck because Nvidia it is, either this year or next depending on the gains.

How AMD thinks they can price-match with Nvidia I don't know. Do AMD even release their drivers on time with new game launches these days? They didn't used to. I also wonder how hot this will get...with their "more accurate measuring technique". The 5700XT was on fire - in a bad way.

Last edited:

Bashteee

Oct 27, 2017
Some of you people... It's okay if Nvidia sells their card for over 1000$, but AMD should sell one with over 15% more performance for 200$ less. What.

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
17% faster than a 2080 Ti at $800 would be game changing. Absolutely game changing.

It would be reasonable. The 2080Ti is what, nearly 2 years old? And despite being overpriced, it's still made and supported by Nvidia, not AMD - which counts for something.

But we don't get reasonable anymore. We get bonkers pricing. Everything good is Titan priced. What used to be that tiny bit of extra performance for double the cost for the absolutely minted whales is now the standard. You want a decent upgrade, hope you don't have to be remotely responsible with spending.

It was supposed to get better with the bitcoin mining making use of GPUs with no video-out that they made to bring demand down. Something tells me prices won't actually drop that much.

I get the feeling Apple is to blame somehow.

Is there another reason for a shortage with these recent GPUs that there wasn't before? How are Sony and MS going to make decent entire consoles for chump change? Sure they buy in the millions, but the price difference is going to be ridiculous this time. Last gen there was 1:1 parity for both price and performance between consoles and PC - on launch. This time it's going to be twice as expensive on the PC side just to match performance with base consoles.

Are Nvidia and AMD just going to say we got nothing exciting for you to would-be PC gamers on a legitimately reasonable budget, in a year when high-performance next-gen consoles release for a lot less money? Are they that greedy and stupid or is there something else to these prices. You think they'll buy the consoles and get PC parts later when performance improves for the same price? Because that's what pro-consoles in a mid-cycle refresh are for. Sooner or later MS will put (a restricted store) Windows on an Xbox too. Then after that everything is streamed and no one will care about discreet GPUs because you priced it too damn high for enough of them to want to get in and build up a nice collection of games on a system with pretty much guaranteed backwards compatibility.

Maybe we need to stop talking about how great PC gaming is to keep the demand down. :S
Or hopefully they get their noses clean and make PC gaming an attractive and attainable alternative by the time or before the consoles release.

Last edited:

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
Some of you people... It's okay if Nvidia sells their card for over 1000$, but AMD should sell one with over 15% more performance for 200$ less. What.
It'll competing against the next line of Nvidia cards, sure if they get this out before they can price it higher but after Ampere is out this would most likely battle against 3070-3080 so priced accordingly

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Where did I indicate that the 2080 Ti is below $400? If AMD releases this card at $400, they'd mop the floor up but they won't.

If this is supposed to be big Navi and the 5700 XT is already around $350, I doubt they are going to price this at any point where I'd feel good buying this.
But you'd feel good buying a 2080Ti at $1300?
I don't get it, if they release a card that is, say, 15% faster than a 2080Ti at, say $799, that wouldn't be a whole lot better than what Nvidia offers at the moment?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
This is either going to fall short of this level of performance or it's going to cost $1000. AMD isn't going to short change themselves by undercutting their pricing by hundreds of dollars.

And this GPU is probably going to be more like a Radeon VII successor than a mainstream high end product. A premium specialty product available in relatively limited quantities that will probably be supplanted relatively quickly by the next GPU series.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Nvidia selling for those prices was ridiculous and should never be defended. But AMD needs to realize they will be competing with the 3000 series here (likely the 3080 at this performance) so pricing in line with the 2080 Ti would be a big mistake. $800 would be about right if they release before Nvidia, and they might need to price cut once the 3080 is launched.

Akronis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But you'd feel good buying a 2080Ti at $1300?
I don't get it, if they release a card that is, say, 15% faster than a 2080Ti at, say $799, that wouldn't be a whole lot better than what Nvidia offers at the moment?

Where did I say that $1300 is a fair or good price for the 2080 Ti lol

The 2080 Ti is fucking 15 months old and a 15% improvement with a node advantage is not great when NVIDIA is about to release their new series. I do not think this card is anything to celebrate personally. It's just more of AMD being behind while trying their best to compete by still pricing their shit expensive as hell. I don't think paying $800 for a top GPU is fucking great either, I remember when the top end was $500-$600.

All of this means that NVIDIA will still be able to price gouge the fuck out of the enthusiast cards because AMD can't compete at all

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
People say 2080ti is the one GPU where you're CPU bound with AMD. So it's great news that it's beating the Ti by a handy margin and using an engineering sample of an AMD CPU.

Engineering samples tend to be inferior to actual production models too. So if anything, it's reasonable to expect this or better (assuming it's not faked or a biased benchmark).

If put like this, yeah. I love AMD but ampere will crucify Navi, there is no way for AMD to release a GPU that won't be stomped by a 7nm Nvidia chip. Big unless: Nvidia is like Intel and can't get their node down if their life depended on it.

You can forget the unless. Nvidia and AMD chips are manufactured by the same company. TSMC pretty much produces all chips minus Intel. Used to be a huge plus for Intel, now it's a big negative.

Phil me in

Nov 22, 2018
Who actually believes that 50% increase though... it's fairytale land.

17% more than a 2080ti and priced accordingly is a beast. The ampree ti is not going to be 50% faster.

Nov 8, 2017
17% faster than a 2080 Ti at $800 would be game changing. Absolutely game changing.
But why? Going by past releases, Nvidia will have 2-3 cards faster than the 2080Ti. (The 2080 kinda broke this trend but introduced RTX) We're talking this Navi card being 3070 or 3080 range here. The 3080 would likely be in the same price range you're describing as well. Meaning there will be 2 or 3 Nvidia cards above AMDs best. Again... It changes nothing. Again...

Yogi

Banned
Nov 10, 2019
After all that ranting I did, I checked the prices for a 2080 Super and I swear it's about ÂŁ100-200 less than it was a few weeks ago.

Looking at Amazon it's like a 20% cut.

EVGA 2080 Super for ÂŁ634.99
EVGA 2080Ti for ÂŁ1200

Almost like the good old days (a handful of years ago), another 20% and it would be - except for Ti replacing Titan.
If only they had decent RTX performance, I may have jumped. Probably not though, I need higher gains for next-gen proofing at high framerates.

How long until this card and more importantly, the 3080 release do you think?

If the 3080 releases close to ÂŁ650 I'll be a pretty happy-ish gamer. 3080Ti for ÂŁ650 and I won't need a therapist.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4552

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Think about the power Delta between 5700xt and 2800ti

Then think about the size Delta.

Of course AMD have a card similar or better than a 2080 TI

The real question becomes:
Is it RDNA 1, 5XXX series 7nm or RDNA 2 6XXX 7nm+
The entire story with RT Cores, are they there, how good they are and how much space they take
What will it compare like to a NVidia Ampere 3XXX series that is their big Node shrink.

A node shrink is huge. The 3080ti could be massively more powerful than the 2080 to die due the node shrink.

Since they moved to 7nm AMD had the ability to put out something in the 2080tis ballpark.

But the actual volume shifts elsewhere. And if they put something out that gets destroyed by ampere that could be a short victory.

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
Who actually believes that 50% increase though... it's fairytale land.

17% more than a 2080ti and priced accordingly is a beast. The ampree ti is not going to be 50% faster.
No, its not.

With the exception of RTX 2xxx series and the addition of ray tracing a 50% jump in performance is what Nvidia usually has.

They did it from 780 Ti to 980 Ti and again from 980 Ti to 1080 Ti.

They will do it again with the RTX 3xxx series and it will not surprised me a bit.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
I don't trust leaks and even less AMD ones, always end in being false or huge let down, gonna wait for more sources.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
One person said they should price it at $350-$400. How is that even possible if the RX 5700XT was $399 and was competing with the 2060 Super and 2070 Super at the time?

Akronis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One person said they should price it at $350-$400. How is that even possible if the RX 5700XT was $399 and was competing with the 2060 Super and 2070 Super at the time?

Please point to where I said "they should price it at $400"

Where did I indicate that the 2080 Ti is below $400? If AMD releases this card at $400, they'd mop the floor up but they won't.

If this is supposed to be big Navi and the 5700 XT is already around $350, I doubt they are going to price this at any point where I'd feel good buying this.

Please re-read what I wrote instead of trying to say they should release it at $400 lol. I had posed a ridiculous hypothesis that absolutely won't happen. Them selling this at even $750 or $800 is shit when the 3000 series is out so soon.

Continue trying to argue that this is supposed to be a win for AMD lmao

Can't wait for NVIDIA to price the 3080 Ti at $1500 because AMD can't get their shit together.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I'd love for this to be true.

And those laughing or locking this need to realize that we need competition.

I don't give a damn if Nvidia is best when you're paying double the competition price.

I have 2 Nvidia cards and that could change with this type of performance.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love for this to be true.

And those laughing or locking this need to realize that we need competition.

I don't give a damn if Nvidia is best when you're paying double the competition price.

I have 2 Nvidia cards and that could change with this type of performance.

The problem is that 2080ti + 15% isn't really adequate competition at the high end. It'll likely leave AMD where they are right now with their highest end card trading blows with Nvidia's XX80 equivalent for $700ish.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
The problem is that 2080ti + 15% isn't really adequate competition at the high end. It'll likely leave AMD where they are right now with their highest end card trading blows with Nvidia's XX80 equivalent for $700ish.

It would be better than AMD has been in a while - definitely better than Navi or Vega or Polaris were at launch. Especially if it does have proper current gen features like VRS, mesh shading and RT. It would be enough that they're at least competition across almost the entire stack, even if they don't have a proper 'halo' product to complete with 3080 ti / Titan Next.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
It is if it's a mobile card as the identifiers indicate. Or even if it's an eGPU (dGPU in an external enclosure) connected to the mobile APU. With eGPUs you can expect anywhere from 20-50% performance drop just from using the enclosure instead of having the GPU connected through PCI.
I thought the current rumor was that Lockhart isn't cancelled? Did something change?

I honestly don't know anymore, the rumors have gone back and forth too many times.

Nov 8, 2017

In a vacuum, that's a good price right now compared to 2018 video card offerings. The RTX 2080 launched at 699 USD, so the RTX 3080 with > 2080ti performance would be launching in a similar price bracket (700-800 USD) at a conservative estimate with or without this AMD launch. You should be hoping for much lower than $800 from AMD, because if they launch at that price, that gives Nvidia carte blanche to offer bad value.

The RTX series rasterisation performance increase was a bit underwhelming, but previous gen X70 cards from Nvidia have been ballpark similar performance to the X80ti from the one before. Since AMD trends towards better value in most segments, you should be hoping for more like $499 or less to put price pressure on Ampere.

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
The next time an AMD GPU leak actually pans out will be the first time. But it would be a great time for that to happen lol

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Please point to where I said "they should price it at $400"

Please re-read what I wrote instead of trying to say they should release it at $400 lol. I had posed a ridiculous hypothesis that absolutely won't happen. Them selling this at even $750 or $800 is shit when the 3000 series is out so soon.

Continue trying to argue that this is supposed to be a win for AMD lmao

Can't wait for NVIDIA to price the 3080 Ti at $1500 because AMD can't get their shit together.
It's too damn funny you arguing about how a card that is supposively 15% faster and priced at $750 or $800 is shit when we don't know what the price of the 3800ti will be. We also don't know what the price will drop on the 2080ti and that thing launched at $1,199 didn't it? $750 to $800 isn't bad for a card that is 15% faster but obviosly you disagree.

Of course they won't price it at $400 and to even think that hypothetically shows you're not even arguing in good faith.

Clessidor

Oct 30, 2017
The next time an AMD GPU leak actually pans out will be the first time. But it would be a great time for that to happen lol
I remember a bunch of small leaks the past few months which panned out. Benchmarks which foreshadows 5500 and 5600 etc. People just rarely talk about those.

Still this one is a little bit doubtfull. The CPU is clearly from an APU (R7 4800H). And like mentioned before, the benchmark could be busted in some way, or the eGPU isn't detected. Not believable, if we don't see similar Benchmarks.

Jun 18, 2018
It'd be a great benchmark if the card came out a year ago, but an upcoming 17% increase isn't great when the rumours are thart NVidia's Ampere is up to 50% faster than Turing.

It'll be good if it carries across to consoles though.