• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 23, 2017
Wish graphics and resolution wasn't such a focal point. This is so silly either way. The games will look good and hopeful and more importantly run good. On all consoles.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
4K is and will always be overrated.

Both Sony and MS jumped on the "4K" bandwagon way too early and it's just a waste of resources.
I fully expect the RT implementation to be disappointing as well.

KiDdYoNe

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, let's judge further in generation when first party studios will go out with their projects.
Horizon should tell us if PS5 can't run native 4k and if people will actually care about it.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft will drop Xbox Live Gold and also sell the Xbox Series X at a big loss. Basically a charity company now.

Free online, cheap game subs and rock bottom console prices. It's one of the biggest challengs facing us today, so big in fact that the Bill and Miranda Gates foundation have adapted their mission statement and world goals to reflect this.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017

DocH1X1

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
User Banned (2 weeks): Console wars, trolling, long history of similar behaviour
The digital foundary face offs are gonna be epic this gen !!!!

KCroxtonJr

Oct 28, 2017
Well, DLSS can produce a better image than native 4k. Checkerboard rendering, not so much. I still think it doesn't matter much in the console space. Sitting 6-10 feet away from the screen makes a huge difference vs being right in front of a monitor.

DLSS is hyped because it looks better than native 4k. Even though people lump it in with checkerboard rendering and other techniques, it's a completely different technology.
We have no idea what kind of techniques will be used for next gen though. If they were able to do checkerboarding on the old consoles, it's extremely likely there will be MUCH better techniques on next gen consoles regardless of it's the same tech as DLSS or not.

Point is we KNOW that it is 100% possible to make "fake 4k" look just as good and even better in some aspects, yet people are still freaking out about hearing so and so unable to handle 4k. It's just weird to me.

Nif

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe DF did mention an example of this recently but can't remember the exact details.

Their Death Stranding video showed an example of how it's getting harder to spot the difference - particularly with DLSS (which consoles won't have), not that it's better. I would agree that forcing 4k for everything would be overkill, but I think people are focusing too much on resolution advantages and not on framerates.

svnty6rs3

May 13, 2020
What confuses me is if the Xbox is more powerful, wouldn't that mean it has a higher cost to build? If it has a higher cost to build, why would Sony price their console higher than the Xbox? If anything i would think Sony saw how important pricing was to the start of last generation and would want to repeat the same success. Unless the custom ssd is so expensive it makes te console more expensive to build but it seemed like that was a thing Sony specifically wanted to take account for when they went with 850gb for the size.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Just to be clear, 12.16 would be the Xbox number of we are giving them the same detailed estimate, and 10.28 is not constant so you are also measuring a variable clock by its maximum which it cannot always use. I've seen some estimates of it dropping to about 9.2 depending on load, heat, and resource needs but I'll refrain from doing that math if we think it may be lower or higher than that and i missed it. But 18% is the most generous assumption you could give PS5.

Its quite reasonable for anyone here to realize that to achieve the same performance and settings, PS5 with even that generous calculation is about 1/5th less power so of course it may not be able to have the same resolution as Series X.
Even if it never drops the clock, it would be a 10tf machine without the same bandwidth as the other 10tf gpus on the market.

A case that can be tested extensively with similar gpus overclocked to similar degree, and the performance gains from that setup are not that great.

I really don't see how they can make a 100+GB/s bandwidth delta disappear like that, if they did they definitely should sell the tech back to AMD because they have been stuck for a year with a mid range 36CU rdna gpu on the market that struggles to meet Nvidia high end offerings.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Grubb saying he said it as an example not that he knows it has happened and asks if anyone has had issues reach out to him

-insert Pikachu shocked face here-

This whole thing has been a good lesson on why people (not you Gamer17!) shouldn't attribute quotes to people without actually going back and checking the original source (of what they said).

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Not even close to a big blow. Given difference between the consumers it is expected slightly lower resolution won't even matter at such high resolutions.

With good reconstruction techniques it won't even matter.

It's not 900p to 1080p difference

This is what people don't seem to understand, 900p to 1080p was noticeable, 1800p to 4K is nowhere near as noticeable.
IMO what could make PS5 struggle in 4K is that GDDR6 bandwidth. Sony really went cheap with it.

cheap as in only putting 10GB high speed in and leave the other 6GB at a much lower speed?

Godzilla24

Nov 12, 2017
The Series X is the most powerful console next gen. Nothing about its power advantage over PS5 is surprising nor shocking.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Another rumour that one of the main sources was actually just speculating, seems to be happening a lot.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What confuses me is if the Xbox is more powerful, wouldn't that mean it has a higher cost to build? If it has a higher cost to build, why would Sony price their console higher than the Xbox? If anything i would think Sony saw how important pricing was to the start of last generation and would want to repeat the same success. Unless the custom ssd is so expensive it makes te console more expensive to build but it seemed like that was a thing Sony specifically wanted to take account for when they went with 850gb for the size.

The only way MS SX is cheaper than PS5 is if they are willing to take a significantly larger profit loss than Sony is willing to do. The reason they might do that is to put out as much volume as possible in the US with the idea of high conversion to renewing gamepass subs. So I could see like the SX and Series S being bundled with a gamepass 1-3mos card that upon redeeming requires you to put in payment info for renewal purposes. You will of course still be able to cancel the renewal but a lot of folks don't do that.

amstradcpc

Oct 27, 2017
This is what people don't seem to understand, 900p to 1080p was noticeable, 1800p to 4K is nowhere near as noticeable.

cheap as in only putting 10GB high speed in and leave the other 6GB at a much lower speed?
Cheap for next gen graphics at 4K with continous streaming to RAM with a tempest engine eating a lot of bandwidth. Cerny would call it an imbalance.

Nov 8, 2017
Is there any fake 4k that has no artifacts of any kind? Is there any fake 4k that doesn't modify pixels? Thinking more like integer scaling.

Lukas Taves

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I'm some aspects it should induce an extra cost like the soc being bigger (though I think Sony extensive overclocking pretty much nullified the advantage), in others like the extra bandwidth it was mostly Ms playing smart. They split some memory modules in 2 achieving a higher bus at a similar cost. It has the draw back of some memory pool being slower but the majority of the ram achieves a number thats higher than what you see on a 2080 for example.

MS was also very innovative in their form factor. It allowed them to increase the cooling with small cost increase if any over X.

And finally with them giving exclusivity to Seagate at launch to sell the standalone ssd I think they may have got a nice deal for the internal one too. In comparison Sony's ssd is so expensive per GB that they had to reduce it from 1TB

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
Jeez how far is the PS5 really clocking down it's cpu & gpu? Maybe they're using the locked dev clocks that are lower because the variable setting is unstable. People are focused on the GPU clocks/tf but those are only maxed out when the CPU isn't being taxed, depending on how a specific 3rd party game is made there could be a big disparity in CPU clocks on the two next gen platforms Ps5 3.2 GHz downclocked from 3.5GHz vs a stable 3.6GHz for XseX possibly even 3.8GHz if they disable SMT.

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of confirmation bias here.

Information that doesn't line up with certain expectations sure throws some for a loop.

Not really surprising to hear this considering the power edge the Series X has over the PS5.

Sia

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 9, 2020
Canada
I mean if microsoft is giving away consoles for free because that's a low barrier of entry then sure I will pick one up.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
The Series X potentially isn't more expensive to make. You also have to take into account the PS5s SSD, cooling, and overall size. I'm pretty sure I read that they didn't really have a choice of SSD size. It was either 800GB or like 1.6Tb.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We have no idea what kind of techniques will be used for next gen though. If they were able to do checkerboarding on the old consoles, it's extremely likely there will be MUCH better techniques on next gen consoles regardless of it's the same tech as DLSS or not.

Point is we KNOW that it is 100% possible to make "fake 4k" look just as good and even better in some aspects, yet people are still freaking out about hearing so and so unable to handle 4k. It's just weird to me.

Sure we don't know 100% I guess but Nvidia has billions of dollars spent on AI upscaling R&D to get the results they are getting with DLSS. It's just many think it's unlikely the MS/AMD solution will be as good, and it's questionable if such a solution will even be present in the PS5 as it's mainly MS tech.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I'm totally fine with reconstructed 4k if it allows 60fps. Native 4k at the cost of frame rate is no good.

I don't want to see more situations like pre-patch RE3 was on the One X.

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
EfUTxHuUYAYgvMF.jpg-large.jpeg

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone conveniently pro fake 4K now lol.

If it means better performance or fidelity, 'everyone' here (~80%) already was:

www.resetera.com

How much do you care about next-gen games running native in 4K?

Trying to gauge the temperature on this topic here. Next-gen is upon us, and with it an apparent resolution jump (although we kind of experienced it already with last-gen's mid-gen refresh). It's four time the pixels compared to 1080p, a massive performance sink in my opinion, one that is...

I hope plenty of devs push things such that PS5 (and XSX for that matter) 'struggle' at native 4K. That's not a new sentiment for a lot of people.

The only bad news here would be if PS5 was for no good reason 'struggling', because of bad driver performance or some other previously unknown issue, disproportionate with its spec. I don't think that's suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.