• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
What is this? One insider debunks another insider and we're supposed to go with the one who's narrative you prefer? That's not how this works. I'm not sure what Matt has access to, but Dusk Golem has a very credible track record and we can't just rule out what he's heard because you don't like it.

Am I crazy or wasn't it Dusk that post a rumor in the Silent Hills thread that was almost immediately debunked and the came back into the thread to say that they intentionally posed false information to vet one of their sources?

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
He doesn't say what resolution games will be, if it's 1800p at locked 60fps then who cares?
I'll rather take a lower res and locked 60fps than native 4k and almost 60fps. The obsession to hit native 4K is honestly the worst way to waste system resources I can think of.
I don't think we should expect most games to be 60 fps. Most will continue to be 30 fps, I think.

Am I crazy or wasn't it Dusk that post a rumor in the Silent Hills thread that was almost immediately debunked and the came back into the thread to say that they intentionally posed false information to vet one of their sources?
I've been in and out of that thread, but I don't recall that. I know he has doubled down on the Silent Hill game existing and being developed by Sony. That has yet to come true, but he has been spot on with Resident Evil and Street Fighter stuff.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Jeff Grubb elaborated on this last night in a podcast. Paraphrasing, but he explained that the tech in PS5 that allows to shift power between GPU and CPU is AMD Smartshift. It's good tech, but he said it's worth expecting some devs haven't come to grips with it just yet, and might not until a bit later in the gen. He said it'd eventually be fixed for all as Sony educates devs more, but at launch we might see situations where the power gap between Series X and PS5 appears greater than it actually is in practice, because devs are still coming to grips with that system. He's basically corroborated what Dusk Golem has heard, while cautioning that it's not going to be a situation that lasts.

I think Sony mentioned they have locked performance profiles so the variability is there for devs that decide to use it.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'll be honest guys, obviously resolutions matter and having a sharp image is great. But as long as the image is at or above 1080p with strong AA implementation, I could care less if it means I get stable frame rates, more density in geometry and even ray tracing.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Jeff Grubb elaborated on this last night in a podcast. Paraphrasing, but he explained that the tech in PS5 that allows to shift power between GPU and CPU is AMD Smartshift. It's good tech, but he said it's worth expecting some devs haven't come to grips with it just yet, and might not until a bit later in the gen. He said it'd eventually be fixed for all as Sony educates devs more, but at launch we might see situations where the power gap between Series X and PS5 appears greater than it actually is in practice, because devs are still coming to grips with that system. He's basically corroborated what Dusk Golem has heard, while cautioning that it's not going to be a situation that lasts.

Except he didn't say this at all because he nested everything he said in "hypothetically", as the context of the conversation was what areas Sony could screw up in at launch that would lessen the hurt of what Xbox launching without Halo would be like. This is also why he mentioned a potential $600 price point. That does not mean he thinks either of those things would happen/are happening/are likely, he would have said that if that were the case.

So no, he's not corroborating what Dusk Golem has heard, which makes sense considering Dusk Golem is mostly taking one developer (he's admitted his main source is Resident Evil 8) and extrapolating it out to all developers.

This is how a broken game of telephone happens and we should aim not to do that.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think Sony mentioned they have locked performance profiles so the variability is there for devs that decide to use it.

That could be the problem. A dev uses Series X to run the game, runs fine. They use one of the locked profiles on PS5 and it doesn't run well.

Sounds like, to me, PS5 needs to have a little more attention to fully squeeze out all the power you need.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So on how many games does this developer friend of AestheticGamer work that they can in general tell the PS5 has problems with 4K?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
That doesn't surprise me. Native 4K is a terribly taxing target, to the point where even Nvidia recognizes that it's a stupid thing to target. With the advent of DLSS 2.0, I firmly believe that a reconstructed image is the way to go, though I believe that the consoles lack the hardware to drive such a sophisticated solution. In my view, framerate should always be prioritized over native 4K. I fully expect both consoles to mostly have games with checkerboarded/reconstructed resolutions and only a few AAA and lower-spec indie games to consistently hit native 4K. Of course, the Series X will hit that target more consistently, but I expect more graphically intense, heavily ray traced games to fail to hit that target.

disco_potato

Nov 16, 2017
Were people on gaf saying native 1080p is a waste of resources back in 2013 when the ps4 was stronger than the xbox one? Man its the strangest thing....
McCaffrey still probably believes that.
2994489-3o85xh8f9aapcfroes.gif

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Where has XSX being cheaper come from?
From absolutely nowhere.

A while back the narrative suddenly changed with some people that the series x would be cheaper than the PS5.

I do think the series s will be the cheapest option available but the PS5 DE will 100% be the cheapest 'full' next gen console. The only way the standard PS5 is more expensive than the series x is if MS take a huge hit considering the Forbes story had the series x at around $50-70 more expensive BOM than the PS5.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The reconstruction techniques we have today didn't exist in 2013.

as someone whose played games in both native and reconstructed 4k. I can tell you that I notice the difference. It doesnt mean a gorgeous game like horizon zero dawn is "blurry" or "ugly"(some of the vernacular used to describe the xbox one versions of games from 2013 and 2014) but i can tell you that games like read dead 2 and forza horizon 4 looked cleaner at native 4k. For reference, I have a ps4 pro and a one x, and i play on a 65 inch c8 oled

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
So much cap about Native 4k lmao sheesh. You guys are acting like its a choice, they would hit Native 4k if they could at the settings they desired over fauxK anyday of the week, if XSX is doing Native, an PS5 is doing Fake 4k, im going XSX every time for multiplats going forward, because believe it or not, its noticeable.

Axel Stone

Jan 10, 2020
I'm more interested in the pricing thing to be honest, seeming to be more smoke around PS5 being surprisingly expensive these past few days. Starting to think there might be something to this.

Ravenash

Apr 16, 2020
While I'd rather games go for 1440p, it is kind of worrying that this is the case.

More expensive and weaker system? That's a recipie for a disaster. Hell, we've literally been through this song and dance before. That was a big part of the whole PS4-XBO thing back during their launch.

Yeah, we got both better graphics and native 1080p on base ps4 for almost the entire gen, and a lot of people were freaking out of the 900p on base xbox one "it's not next gen" some said. If the fake 4K on PS5 isn't an issue, the fake 4K in lockhart shouldn't be too, but i already saw a lot of "concern" about that console......

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
That could be the problem. A dev uses Series X to run the game, runs fine. They use one of the locked profiles on PS5 and it doesn't run well.

Sounds like, to me, PS5 needs to have a little more attention to fully squeeze out all the power you need.

yep matt said something like that also .
Will just take a little time .

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
From absolutely nowhere.

A while back the narrative suddenly changed with some people that the series x would be cheaper than the PS5.

I do think the series s will be the cheapest option available but the PS5 DE will 100% be the cheapest 'full' next gen console. The only way the standard PS5 is more expensive than the series x is if MS take a huge hit considering the Forbes story had the series x at around $50-70 more expensive BOM than the PS5.

I feel like it appeared the day Halo infinite was delayed.

Looking at BoM estimates and sonys forecasted financials the series X will not be cheaper than the PS5.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
The XSX is the stronger system. So it makes sense that a 4K title that taxes the hardware will be a lower resolution on ps5 assuming other settings are the same.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Do we really need "insiders" for obvious stuff like this? Of course it won't be delivering native 4K with ray tracing or even without RT in visually demanding titles, what are people expecting from a 600 dollar box when performance like this can't even be readily achieved on much more expensive PCs/GPUs?

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
From absolutely nowhere.

Well right now it's coming from Dusk and Grubb.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Similar, albeit a bit more dumb than the 18% narrative. I literally can't wrap my head around people saying TF don't matter and than state that the difference between rhe consoles is 18%, which is calculated with the TF numbers of these machines.
On the chance you are legitimately asking - the 18% gap is literally why "TF don't matter". It's the smallest gap there has ever been between rival consoles - their GPUs are so close in theoretical capability the difference barely matters at all. There is no disconnect to be confused about between "TF don't matter" and "18% difference", they are the same statement. It's the same reason people did not play up the ~8% TF advantage the Xbox One S has over the Xbox One - in fact most would agree it barely made a difference in most games.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Saying this console can do 4k and this console can't is so fucking dumb. It completely depends on the software being pushed. Like an Xbox 360 could run solitaire in 4k.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
User Banned (1 Day): Console warring
I feel like it appeared the day Halo infinite was delayed.

Looking at BoM estimates and sonys forecasted financials the series X will not be cheaper than the PS5.
It started after the first series x games showcase because games were no longer the lifeline for some posters.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Except he didn't say this at all because he nested everything he said in "hypothetically", as the context of the conversation was what areas Sony could screw up in at launch that would lessen the hurt of what Xbox launching without Halo would be like. This is also why he mentioned a potential $600 price point. That does not mean he thinks either of those things would happen/are happening/are likely, he would have said that if that were the case.

So no, he's not corroborating what Dusk Golem has heard, which makes sense considering Dusk Golem is mostly taking one developer (he's admitted his main source is Resident Evil 8) and extrapolating it out to all developers.

This is how a broken game of telephone happens and we should aim not to do that.

Thanks for this .
Since this how bad info and people saying someone said something spreads.

mreastman

Prophet of Truth
Jan 2, 2018
Spend the cycles on frame rate and visual fidelity. Give us 1440p checkerboarded to 4k. HDR and RTX is where the real next gen tech is at. Stop the resolution wars!

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018

How about we all just ask Grubb what he meant ? Doesnt he post here ? Someone ask on twitter lol

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So why does the topic say the PS5 struggles with 4K games in particular?
Thats what in his tweets he said and clarified here he has heard this about resident evil 8. So not sure tbh and even then we were not provided any context as to was this just the initial issue with getting engine on ps5 or it still exist etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.