• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
Anyone looking at the specs for this gen since they were first leaked should have been able to determine this.

4k + Raytracing + new and better effects when high end graphics cards were already being pushed by native 4k and even something that's approaching a 2080 equivalent wasn't going to make it happen.

Consoles are a cheaper option because they always will be about compromises.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Are you saying you know more than what the people at Digital Foundry do when it comes to this kind of stuff?
No? I'm saying that some at Digital Foundry itself don't agree with that statement.
You can compare some videos between the PS4 Pro checkerboard era, and now that DLSS 2.0 is a thing. They don't say that checkerboard 4K is as good as real 4K anymore (DLSS isn't checkerboard, this one is as good as real 4K).

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
While I'd rather games go for 1440p, it is kind of worrying that this is the case.

More expensive and weaker system? That's a recipie for a disaster. Hell, we've literally been through this song and dance before. That was a big part of the whole PS4-XBO thing back during their launch.

Oct 27, 2017
Also of the opinion that checkerboarding is a more sensible use of resources. More particles, higher res textures, better skin shaders, ray traced reflections, etc, any one of these are worth dropping real 4K for.

lost7

Feb 20, 2018
I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. What I'm surprised about is that people are making it out as if these differences will be big when the two consoles are the closest we've had in a very long time

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Funny thing is, fake 4K is probably the better way, regardless of platform. Just not enough goodness is received going from 1440p->4K, especially with reconstruction techniques, in particular DLSS, becoming better and better with each release. Most games should just give the option.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Between Jeff , Dusk and Matt I stay with Matt. I think both Jeff and Dusk have no idea what they are talking about. 18% diff in gpu power will not make that happen.

Can't wait for DF analysis.

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
"Fake 4K" reads like console war stuff from 2016/2017 when the mid-gen consoles were in the spotlight. It's been proven time and again that reconstruction techniques are the future. Is anyone actually bothered by this? I'll take checkerboard/temporal/whatever reconstruction over native any day of the week.

Oct 25, 2017
Few questions:

Why is 'real' 4K a waste of resources?
Whats the difference between 'real' and 'fake' 4k?
To answer the second question first, the difference is imperceptible if the correct reconstruction techniques are used with a lower internal resolution, while freeing up significant resources to put toward other aspects of visuals.

That should answer your first question as well.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Hit whatever resolution it needs to so performance doesn't suffer.

Frame rate > resolution

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox is my primary console, I game on a C9, and I think native 4K is a total waste. I hope MS doesn't prioritize it going forward and instead favors advanced reconstruction.

Gradly

Nov 11, 2017
Thanx God I don't care about anything at this point. Once we see the games running on consoles we can judge. I don't believe there's any optimized game yet

larryfox

Apr 27, 2020

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
don't really care. PS5 is for exclusives, so if I want resolution I'll play on PC.

reconstruction is the future anyway.

Raylan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Those threads based on fake news, spread by people who are looking for internet fame, have to stop.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
User Banned (1 day): Trolling and Drive-by Posting. Prior history of Drive-by Posting.
That sucks, give me true 4k.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
User Warned: Stoking Platform Wars
Oh man the meltdown over this will be glorious if it's true.

OP
OP
Sota4077

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It has?
Been locked like twice i think atleast
It has? I searched quite a while for another post regarding his tweets and couldn't find anything. If you can link me something I'll report my own post and get it taken down so I'm not duplicating threads.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I'm just hoping the games have a 1080p mode, with some more bells asnd whistles and a more stable FPS. Couldn't give less of a fuck about 4K, native or otherwise.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
4k is a waste of resources, make games 1440p.

I think both consoles will struggle with 4k next gen games (with ray tracing). Obviously ps5 more so then xsex.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I wish all PC games offered fake 4k. Fake 1440p, fake 1080p. I would use that stuff. Unfortunately not all games support DLSS, or have something like checkerboarding so we have to do native res which is why I don't have a 4k display, it's a waste of resources. Hopefully in the future there's something that can enable "fake 4k" on any game we want. Smart use of resources.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Between Jeff , Dusk and Matt I stay with Matt. I think both Jeff and Dusk have no idea what they are talking about. 18% diff in gpu power will not make that happen.

Can't wait for DF analysis.
Remember that these systems aren't apples for apples Xbox has only given sustainable numbers while Sony gave theoretical most of the time maximums

they also are both aiming for different things

Status
Not open for further replies.