• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
But Hollow Knight looks so much better than Samus Returns. That would be one of the big benefits to getting Team Cherry in my opinion, they would do a cool stylized hand-drawn style instead of 2.5D which has never looked good.

Good luck trying to convince people to swallow a stylized Metroid.

Next Level Games had their own concept art attempt of a stylized Metroid and people who saw it hated it.

1xxd38.png

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How about Team Cherry just make their own games. Nintendo most likely doesn't want indie studios touching their IP's unless it's to make a spin-off like Cadence of Hyrule

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

Next Level Games had their own concept art attempt of a stylized Metroid and people who saw it hated it.

1xxd38.png
Next Level was robbed, that would have been great.

People need to embrace hand-drawn 2D, since pixel art is too expensive and 2.5D universally looks terrible.

Hopefully the popularity of Hollow Knight and Cuphead start to turn people around.

Last edited:

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
even in 2020 (well past the "2D = primitive" doldrums of the mid 90s to mid 00s) i can't imagine nintendo ever signing off on a hand drawn/pixel art metroid

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
you guys get that if team cherry developed, sakamoto would still produce the game, right?

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Again, without either Sakamoto or Tanabe involved.

Huh? Why wouldn't Sakamoto be involved?

Like, what's even the point you're trying to make? Are you saying that Sakamoto would magically not be involved in a Team Cherry Metroid project and not lead the whole thing despite being part of the internal team that oversees outsourced stuff?

Oct 25, 2017

1xxd38.png

Stylized graphics isn't the problem. It's just that this design is dreadful.

We can't really tell whether or not this is what they would have ended up going with seeing as it's the only piece of concept art from the project. But even seeing this as an example, I certainly wouldn't be against drawn graphics for a Metroid, or any other Nintendo game.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I am really really surprised by how obssesed folks are with Team Cherry developing a Metroid Game.

Hollow Knight is its (really good) own thing. As I have said in this very same thread, having created a fantastic Metroidvania videogame does not automatically mean that you are going to nail a Metroid game. The exploration pace, the movement, the mechanics... it is all different and as others have said you would also have to count with Sakamoto guidance.

If you have some love remaining for a series, as I think it is the case of Nintendo with Metroid, you don´t want to have an endless numbers of developers touching the series because it becomes some sort of Frankenstein. You want to invest, develop a relationship of trust with a company, to create a series of videogames with certain identity to try to make people love the series (again in some cases). I don´t know about sales numbers, but I am pretty sure Nintendo was delighted with what Samus Returns is as a videogame, as well as the majority of players and critics are, so I think Mercury Steam will definitely have another shot.

The most absurd thing of this discussion for me is trying to translate the Hollow Knight visual style to Metroid. Look, those late eighties-early nineties artworks are no longer Metroid, the series have had a "realistic" visual approach since Metroid Prime, and that means since 20 years ago. On the other hand, if a 2D sprited Metroid videogame were created, it would have to compete against a pile of indie videogames (many new players don´t know the series) that have absorbed that visual style and the Switch capabilities would be severely underused.

Also, you have to read here that "2.5D videogames" are ugly. Welp, I guess you also think that art direction has nothing to do with a videogame being ugly or pretty.

trine-4-screenshot-06_a28a.1280.jpg

yooka_layleeimpossiblelair_2864093b.jpg

81scR7V1zsL._AC_SL1500_1245x700.jpg

Deadlight-screenshot_06.jpg

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I am really really surprised by how obssesed folks are with Team Cherry developing a Metroid Game.

Hollow Knight is its (really good) own thing. As I have said in this very same thread, having created a fantastic Metroidvania videogame does not automatically mean that you are going to nail a Metroid game. The exploration pace, the movement, the mechanics... it is all different and as others have said you would also have to count with Sakamoto guidance.

If you have some love remaining for a series, as I think it is the case of Nintendo with Metroid, you don´t want to have an endless numbers of developers touching the series because it becomes some sort of Frankenstein. You want to invest, develop a relationship of trust with a company, to create a series of videogames with certain identity to try to make people love the series (again in some cases). I don´t know about sales numbers, but I am pretty sure Nintendo was delighted with what Samus Returns is as a videogame, as well as the majority of players and critics are, so I think Mercury Steam will definitely have another shot.

The most absurd thing of this discussion for me is trying to translate the Hollow Knight visual style to Metroid. Look, those late eighties-early nineties artworks are no longer Metroid, the series have had a "realistic" visual approach since Metroid Prime, and that means since 20 years ago. On the other hand, if a 2D sprited Metroid videogame were created, it would have to compete against a pile of indie videogames (many new players don´t know the series) that have absorbed that visual style and the Switch capabilities would be severely underused.

Also, you have to read here that "2.5D videogames" are ugly. Welp, I guess you also think that art direction has nothing to do with a videogame being ugly or pretty.

I haven't played Deadlight and that screenshot doesn't look too terrible, but yes I think Tropical Freeze, Impossible Lair, and all the Trine games look bad -- especially Impossible Lair. They aren't bad games as a whole, but I still don't like the 2.5D aesthetic and all of them would be improved if they had 2D art.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I played like 5 hours of hollow knight and it already failed at capturing Metroid's amazing pacing and sense of progression to me. It's just too bloated imo.

Though to be fair, some areas in Samus Returns felt too big

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I haven't played Deadlight and that screenshot doesn't look too terrible, but yes I think Tropical Freeze, Impossible Lair, and all the Trine games look bad -- especially Impossible Lair. They aren't bad games as a whole, but I still don't like the 2.5D aesthetic and all of them would be improved if they had 2D art.
It is always up to everyone personal preferences of course, but let me tell you something, 2.5D is not an aesthetic. It is a way of presenting graphics. A videogame being beautiful or ugly (once again, this is subjective) has absolutely nothing to do with it presenting the images in 2D, 3D, 2.5D or with any other method invented. It is due to its color scheme, characters designs, visual effects, composition, environments... So, a 3D videogame can be beautiful and a 2D videogame can be ugly (to you), and the other way around.

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I would totally check out Samus Returns if it was on Switch. I just really don't want to play my 3DS.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played like 5 hours of hollow knight and it already failed at capturing Metroid's amazing pacing and sense of progression to me. It's just too bloated imo.

Though to be fair, some areas in Samus Returns felt too big
you gotta give Hollow Knight another chance someday. It's a massive game but I don't think it's bloated. I also don't think it's trying to be like Metroid, despite being part of the same genre. It's an incredible game.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
you gotta give Hollow Knight another chance someday. It's a massive game but I don't think it's bloated. I also don't think it's trying to be like Metroid, despite being part of the same genre. It's an incredible game.
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it and definitely intend to go back to it.I just feel that in the time I played it it did not have some key things that Metroid excels at so, like you said, it's better to look at it as it's own thing instead of trying to present it as the second coming of Super Metroid

Music, art, movement and combat are all stellar so far

Defect

Oct 25, 2017
Hollow Knight is just fine and it doesn't even come close to Super Metroid. The first half of the game is a slog and I only started to appreciate the game when I stopped comparing it to Metroid and looked at it more like a 2D Dark Souls with a hint of Metroid.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
It is always up to everyone personal preferences of course, but let me tell you something, 2.5D is not an aesthetic. It is a way of presenting graphics. A videogame can be beautiful or ugly (once again, this is subjective) has absolutely nothing to do with it presenting the images in 2D, 3D, 2.5D or with any other method invented. It is due to its color scheme, characters designs, visual effects, composition, environments... So, a 3D videogame can be beautiful and a 2D videogame can be ugly (to you), and the other way around.
Sure and technically Hollow Knight is "2.5D" since the engine renders the scene with depth but the camera is fixed so it looks flat, but anytime there are 3D models constrained to a flat 2D plane it never looks good to me, unless it's extremely stylized and cell-shaded to look hand drawn like Guilty Gear Xrd.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I hope mercury steam gets to be unchained with bosses and make a ton of awesome ones.
Metroid needs optional bosses that are found from just exploring and give you a cool upgrade that's not needed to beat the game but still awesome

Like the missile combos in Primes 1 and 2? Would've been awesome if they were guarded by secret bosses

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it and definitely intend to go back to it.I just feel that in the time I played it it did not have some key things that Metroid excels at so, like you said, it's better to look at it as it's own thing instead of trying to present it as the second coming of Super Metroid

Music, art, movement and combat are all stellar so far
Yeah, it's difficult to compare it to Super Metroid, which is a brisk 6-8 hour experience, which is one of its great strengths.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Sure and technically Hollow Knight is "2.5D" since the engine renders the scene with depth but the camera is fixed so it looks flat, but anytime there are 3D models constrained to a flat 2D plane it never looks good to me, unless it's extremely stylized and cell-shaded to look hand drawn like Guilty Gear Xrd.
So you like some 2.5D games lol

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I hope the next Paper Mario is more traditional, but knowing Nintendo game devs they love to add a major gimmick to the formula to keep it "fresh". Let's add stickers, let's add paint, let's add super mario platforming etc.
Hopefully they aren't tempted again

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I hope the next Paper Mario is more traditional, but knowing Nintendo game devs they love to add a major gimmick to the formula to keep it "fresh". Let's add stickers, let's add paint, let's add super mario platforming etc.
Hopefully they aren't tempted again
Don't forget the greatest gimmick of all, not having any interesting characters.

A_Jazzy_Book

Oct 27, 2017
I understand that the Paper Mario won't be a remake. But I have to ask, would you be for or against the art style of Color Splash, if it were chosen for a more traditional PM?

For reference, here's an image of TTYD polished with the CS cardboard aesthetics:
Only thing I'd be okay with losing are the white outlines, though they don't bother me that much. Otherwise, I'm 100% down. Thought CS was gorgeous.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I understand that the Paper Mario won't be a remake. But I have to ask, would you be for or against the art style of Color Splash, if it were chosen for a more traditional PM?

For reference, here's an image of TTYD polished with the CS cardboard aesthetics:
I'd be down. Color Splash looks great, it's just everything else that's the problem.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Regardless of how the new paper mario plays out.....as long as it's awesome and critically acclaimed, the fanbase will be satisfy.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of how the new paper mario plays out.....as long as it's awesome and critically acclaimed, the fanbase will be satisfy.
Well if it's awesome and critically acclaimed that means it went back to its RPG roots of the first 2 games. It's not "regardless of how it plays out". It plays out awesome when they make Paper Mario what it was.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
If this is to be a successor to Metroid Fusion and Super Metroid then I think we need to go with Hi-bit pixel art.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just hope Mercury Steam dials down on the combat aspect focus or find a way to make it more interesting. Any Metroid game so far that focused heavily on combat over exploration has been generally worse than what the best in the series have to offer.

RainRainRain

Jan 15, 2018

It looks beautiful yes, but I also don't like the white outlines (even if they will probably be kept)

Overall in my opinion they should keep the creativity going with the Paper stuff but just dial it back a little and don't focus entirely on "haha we're all made of Paper guys!" because if this is truly a Thousand-Year Door style Paper Mario, I want the world to maintain a degree of seriousness like that game did without basically everything being some sort of Paper joke a la Color Splash.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017

tbh I feel like original TTYD looks better and more charming.

Im not a fan of the white borders around the characters.

byDoS

Oct 25, 2017
You know what would be glorious? A new IP from Nintendo in collaboration with Team Cherry.

A "Bloodborne" to call yours.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Samus Returns is fine, but nobody is out here arguing that Samus Returns is better than Super Metroid and Symphony of the Night.

Where as for Hollow Knight people argue that because it's true.
I think its fucking great though?
Like very few games can be at the level of super metroid and zero mission, but samus returns is a great return to form.

What if it looks like this?
metroid-samus-returns-intro.gif
It will look more similar to that gif than the super low resolution models samus returns had, becuase that is basically using mercury steams designs with better fidelity.

I dodnt now what people are smoking in this thread. Mercury Steam has great artists, 3d modelers and animators. A game of theirs on the switch is going to look better than their 3ds version.

How you dare actually make rational posts on era good sir?! You should feel ashamed of not getting into the craziness and shitty opinions.

Last edited:

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I think its fucking great though?
Like very few games can be at the level of super metroid and zero mission, but samus returns is a great return to form.
It's certainly a competent reapplication of what made the original Metroid II so interesting, I just dare to dream bigger.

That being said, if I were CEO of Nintendo and had the ability to bring Team Cherry on for anything, it would be for Zelda not Metroid. William Pellen and Ari Gibson famously love Zelda II so maybe they can finally make a sequel, a Zelda III if you will.