• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
A new traditional Paper Mario will cause me to masturbate furiously

30159.jpg

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
I'd even be okay if they just ported over Samus Returns 3DS over to the Switch. I really liked that game but playing it after owning a Switch was rough. That game really needed to be on the Switch.

Nov 27, 2017
California
I never did play color splash so that'll get ported with thousand year door for double the paper Mario 😎

I found samus returns ugly af so I hope it doesn't look like that

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid Fusion rumor: Fuck yeah, 2D Metroid is pretty much always fun as hell.

Paper Mario rumor: I think that I would give this series another try on Switch. I remember when it came out way back on 64, I was disappointed in it and saw it as lesser than SMRPG, which is still one of my favorite games ever. I barely touched TTYD before peacing out. I did love M&L though, so maybe enough time had passed and I can appreciate a Paper Mario remake now.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
A new traditional Paper Mario will cause me to masturbate furiously

I hate so much that we live in a reality where one could technically argue that the "traditional" Paper Mario is the bullshit we got the last three games instead of the first two just going by the number of games released. It's just the worst that it's been nearly 16 years since TTYD and we're still begging for a true sequel.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate so much that we live in a reality where one could technically argue that the "traditional" Paper Mario is the bullshit we got the last three games instead of the first two just going by the number of games released. It's just the worst that it's been nearly 16 years since TTYD and we're still begging for a true sequel.

We were so close in 2010.

paper-mario-3ds-gameplay-screenshots-revealed.jpg

These images hurt. :(

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Colour Splash straight up bombed though, so it was never guaranteed imo.

There was no way Nintendo had any expectations at all for a game launching late 2016 on Wii U, let alone deciding a franchises future on it.

... Except maybe for Star fox. Let me amend that to deciding an otherwise fairly successful franchises future on it.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Colour Splash was a good game, with clever writing and gorgeous visuals.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I could cry I've been asking for a traditional paper mario for so long and if it happens i'd be so excited hfdjaghfdakjfklsah

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It doesn't really matter, until they scrap the weird sticker battle systems and either do something significantly different, or go back to a more traditional RPG, the quality of the other stuff isn't going to pull very many back.

There's only so much you can do when the core game part of the game is fundamentally mediocre, at best.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
It doesn't really matter, until they scrap the weird battle systems and go back to a more traditional RPG, the quality of the other stuff isn't going to pull very many back.

There's only so much you can do when the core game part of the game is fundamentally mediocre, at best.
Hence my "is a good game" bit; I don't believe the combat system was mediocre at all.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man if both of these happen, then maybe I can still hope for F-Zero and dare I say it Golden Sun and Custom Robo. Baby steps first though.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could cry I've been asking for a traditional paper mario for so long and if it happens i'd be so excited hfdjaghfdakjfklsah
I would be pretty emotional too. PM is definately one of my favorite series. I just love the whacky characters, storylines and unique places in that franchise. I hope we get a good story in the next one again, like TTYD and SPM. Throw that crazy stuff at me, I'm not interested in another Bowser does X and Y lol

Oct 25, 2017
I've been waiting more than 15 years for a third Paper Mario game and I'd honestly started to give up hope. I really hope this is true.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I hope the devs would play around a little with Metroid's art-style. Maybe some high-res 2D art like Hollow Knight.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Do you think Nintendo is going to talk about these games in the first Direct of the year? (whenever it happens)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you think Nintendo is going to talk about these games in the first Direct of the year? (whenever it happens)
Yes. Last February's direct announced all of Nintendo's first party retail games through September. Luigi's Mansion 3 was already a known and was dated for October later. I expect 2D Metroid and Paper Mario to release by October the latest so if they follow last years template both could be announced here. I would say at least one will for sure.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I wonder how a new 2d metroid in 2020 would evolve in the series with the shit ton of metroidvania we saw in the last 10 years. It's like the genre became something so important...

Anyway that's the kind of pixel art i'd like for it :p

dcypioz-42085e9b-b2c8-455d-8557-88d60aa7c2ed.jpg

Dec 2, 2017
My initial reaction is that I'd rather see another 2D Metroid than a Prime. But then I think of games like Prey & Alien Isolation & what they're able to do with first person environments, and wonder why Nintendo hasn't ever innovated along those lines. If this rumour is true, I just hope they come up with a better art style than Samus Returns, something that lives up to the brilliant 16-bit spritework of Super/Zero Mission/Fusion.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
Color Splash was still shit even if it improved upon Sticker Star's formula. The battle system is horrible and still fundamentally pointless, overworld system is bad, lack of previously long standing RPG mechanics is bad, etc. The writing is better than the literally nonexistent writing in SS, but it relies on a bunch of self-referential 4th wall breaking humor for most of its jokes. The writing in the original games was a lot more clever and didn't rely solely on humor.

The aesthetic was fine for what they wanted to accomplish, but I still vastly prefer the original artstye. The arts & crafts look was a bit too literal and every character having a literal white border around them was obnoxious.

lordy16

Oct 28, 2017
I don't think there is a game announcement I want more than a traditional Paper Mario sequel.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
And people wonder why it always feels like Metroid is teetering on a cliff.

You aren't wrong. People always think its a top selling series when it isn't and they believe that Nintendo is dumb for not spamming it out biyearly. Not saying it won't change but right now its not a guaranteed system seller.

I'll definitely buy Prime though.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Good for you, there are plenty of cheaper Metroidvanias out there.
No one is forced to buy this game.

From 20 games on the market, there are 19 that offer excatly what you are looking for....no need to get stressed about the one project that got greenlit based on being a full price project in that genre.

> No one is forced to buy this game.

Thank you. This comment always saves me so much time and money. People like me never know that its an option until someone reminds us or gives us permission to not do it. Thank you.

/s

Of course I don't have to buy it. I can still believe and say that Nintendo is kind of a scummy company because of stuff like this.