• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
Wasn't there a tease at the end of Samus returns in 3DS? Wouldn't it be that? I'd love another 2D Metroid with nicer visuals ...
I'd love another pixel one too
I'm playing ori right now and if that was Metroid I'd be fine with that too

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I hate to even speculate this but given 2 more wii imports have been rumoured this year could the Paper Mario be a Re port of Colour Splash?

a new 2D Metroid makes total sense - Samus returns seemed to go down pretty well

I'm fully into the concept of alternating between 2D and 3D games for Mario, Zelda and Metroid

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Haven't we learned not to listen to Sabi

As others have said though they're piggybacking off Era members who have said the exact same thing for months

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure about returning to their roots but a Paper Mario this year wouldn't be too surprising, since Three House was pretty resource light for IS.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
When we say "traditional Paper Mario" are we talking about going back to being funny RPGs or the tradition of the recent games being bad

Mocha

Dec 9, 2017
Sabi has always been right but I'm not hyping at all. I already been disappointed on the last few rpg games from Nintendo.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I would sooner believe Paper Mario is a fighter in Smash than believe another Paper Mario game I'll like is being made.

hqdefault.jpg

386135.jpg
The Year of Green!

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I definitely think the next Paper Mario will be a true sequel to TTYD. Nintendo are stubborn but they are not stupid, the reaction to the last few games was poor (although Color Splash was a good game) and with Alphadream and the Mario + Luigi series dying, there is no reason not to return to the traditional formula.

They went off track with everything after TTYD in an attempt to distinguish the series from Mario and Luigi but there's no need to do that now.

Fusion was the harbinger of Other M. I do not want another funnelling Metroid game with a narrative focus.

I think Other M is an abomination and one of the most clunky, boring and sexist games ever created by Nintendo, but I have complete confidence that Sakamoto learned his lesson from that debacle. Samus Returns was a clear indication that he understands why everyone hated it and that he isn't so stubborn as to ignore the reaction.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I'm sceptical with a traditional Paper Mario, as Nintendo seems really keen to develop their franchises and not go back to the same old same old. But I'll happily be proven wrong. The first Paper Mario was enchanting.

I'll take that Metroid V right now please. Throw in a HD port of that Metroid II remake too while you're at it.

Deleted member 55311

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 26, 2019
A major problem I have, is that I feel a 2d metroid platformer would likely exist at the same level of gameplay as the high to mid tier indie platformers of recent years (Hollow knight, blasphemous, the messenger, axion verge) but yet they will still want 80 CAD (60 USD?) for it. I may purchase it, but it has to be outstanding, it has to be at the highest level of platforming fun.

Thats why I'm not excited by the rumor and would probably skip it. I'm not going to pay Nintendo $60 for a $30-$40 game. Its (going to be) ridiculous.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Sabi? Ugh, why do people take them seriously.

And that site is even worse to consider them a true insider.

OT: I'm up for anything Metroid and true Paper Mario. I'd love it if they remade 64 and TTYD in the Color Splash engine as well!

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Not sure what team inside or outside Nintendo would be able to make a Metroid 5. Good luck being compared to Silksong.

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
The game isn't even announced yet and I'm already tired of this debate. Is this a new record?

A record? Probably. We don't do small here on Reset. We go big.

And check the Links Awakening threads here and on reddit if you would like to increase your irritation. Give into your anger. Embrace the dark side and its power.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
A record? Probably. We don't do small here on Reset. We go big.

And check the Links Awakening threads here and on reddit if you would like to increase your irritation. Give into your anger. Embrace the dark side and its power.
There's some threshold of whinging about a $20 price increase where you're actually working for less than minimum wage in dollars per hour, and I know some users in the LA threads were well passed it.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
Never finished Return of Samus on 3DS because I got my Switch right in the middle of it. Would totally play an HD version on Switch.

Deleted member 55311

Banned
Mar 26, 2019
Never finished Return of Samus on 3DS because I got my Switch right in the middle of it. Would totally play an HD version on Switch.

Would it be stupid of me to hope that this is both a sequel and a bundled Switch port of Samus Returns? That game came out so close to the Switch launch but we never got a port. :(

CarlSagan94

Nov 3, 2018
Did you just make a thread claiming that two of my dream games are rumoured to come out this year?

I better not get my hopes up.......

....and it's too late.

Dazraell

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Poland
I will love to play a Paper Mario game. Never played any game in the series because I didn't owned consoles where they were released (I only have 3DS but heard Sticker Star was awful), so I will greet this one coming to the Switch with open arms.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Thats why I'm not excited by the rumor and would probably skip it. I'm not going to pay Nintendo $60 for a $30-$40 game. Its (going to be) ridiculous.
Good for you, there are plenty of cheaper Metroidvanias out there.
No one is forced to buy this game.

From 20 games on the market, there are 19 that offer excatly what you are looking for....no need to get stressed about the one project that got greenlit based on being a full price project in that genre.

Last edited:

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I'd be shocked if the next Paper Mario isn't traditional, honestly. They already said Color Splash would be the last of that kind. And 2D Metroid from MercurySteam is a no-brainer whether you have inside info or not.
They did say that, but they also basically said they have no desire to go back to the old style either, didn't they?

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Rumor has it that Nintendo has some games based on IP that you love in development. Won't give away my sources.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
They did say that, but they also basically said they have no desire to go back to the old style either, didn't they?
Maybe, but things can change. Color Splash was panned by fans upon reveal. It was almost as bad as Federation Force. I don't think this is something Nintendo will ignore. They have shown time and time again that they do listen, so I choose to remain optimistic.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
Don't you dare get my hopes up for a traditional paper Mario, damnit. My heart can't take it.

OP
OP
ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Maybe, but things can change. Color Splash was panned by fans upon reveal. It was almost as bad as Federation Force. I don't think this is something Nintendo will ignore. They have shown time and time again that they do listen, so I choose to remain optimistic.

This is a bit hyperbolic. Color Splash wasn't hated as much as Sticker Star. It's a fairly solid game although not what anyone wants from the series.

Federation Force was on another level of fan hate.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
Metroid 5 is a no brainier after the excellent Samus Returns, Mercurystream and Sakamoto have mentioned working together again enough times that we don't need leakers to tell us this. Traditional Paper Mario needs physical evidence if not the actual game in my hands to believe it, but with the death of Alphadream Nintendo does need a premier Mario RPG again and they kinda have to go back to that with PM unless they drop that endeavor forever, which I doubt.