• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Rugrats always had a butt-ugly style by design, but I'm not sure how I feel about that preview. Maybe it's actually the movement. It feels too...lively? Probably just because the original show couldn't afford any decent animation.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Damn this show was so great in the very early seasons. Started to suck once it started to ignore the parents and just went into Muppet Babies 2.0. Once the movie hit it was all over imo.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I was so excited until I saw that image. Then I was sad. Then everybody pointed out who has died and I was sadder. Looks like Christine Cavanaugh retired long before her death, so it's not as though her being around would change the show, but still sad.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I was so excited until I saw that image. Then I was sad. Then everybody pointed out who has died and I was sadder. Looks like Christine Cavanaugh retired long before her death, so it's not as though her being around would change the show, but still sad.
Stu is going to be especially noticeable because his voice was so distinct. He had like the default "dad" voice and I would always picture that when someone talked about their dad

Preble

Nov 7, 2017
What's up with Susie? Did they lower her age? That kinda screws up her dynamic as Angelica's rival huh?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
It's always crazy to me that Tommy has the same voice actress since the pilot. His voice changes so much in later seasons but he had the perfect pitch in S1-S3. Wished they went back to that tone.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Shit. I'm now the same age as Stu.
tumblr_msqa5kNXBw1qgtmlco1_1280.png

c2247837d3fe5068e36fcb9fce2634c5762f0628.png

955907b986b3ea10eed7ecc612219fcea4d1bdf6.png

Charcoal

Nov 2, 2017
Somebody in a position of power really looked at that art style and said yep, that's what we need.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I actually think the art style looks pretty good? Like, the classic aesthetic is ugly-as-sin to begin with, and this is as good a 3D adaptation as you could hope for. They look like plastic toy versions of the 2D designs.

I'm not sure if this is something that's really needed/wanted, though. Rugrats is pretty steeped in 90s aesthetic.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
If the writing is on point, I can deal with the visuals. The voices already will all be good. Just having new classic Rugrats is some dopamine for me.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I'm intrigued... but unlike a lot of other revivals, Rugrats was run into the ground before it was cancelled, so I hope the can recapture the magic of earlier seasons. As opposed to, say, Ducktales or Animaniacs where the originals ended positively. I guess it's more like X-Files.

Here's a clip from the show. Don't see it posted yet.

Ok, seeing this in motion makes it look WAY better. I kinda dig the more realistic environments with the more cartoony characters.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm intrigued... but unlike a lot of other revivals, Rugrats was run into the ground before it was cancelled, so I hope the can recapture the magic of earlier seasons. As opposed to, say, Ducktales or Animaniacs where the originals ended positively. I guess it's more like X-Files.

Ok, seeing this in motion makes it look WAY better. I kinda dig the more realistic environments with the more cartoony characters.
I don't think it ever got like Spongebob/Simpsons tier at least, even the last few seasons. It was just kind of lame near the end, but not unwatchable. I feel like going back to basics can help this a lot.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone asked for this? Even as a kid I hated this show alongside that monster show where one of them holding his eyeball in his hand. Everyone is so creepy looking and dirty.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why Susie looks like the other babys? I liked her more as the "older" friend who helped them when Angelica was bullying them

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
One of the extremely rare times I went "Well, that's different. That's...good?! Great even." when it comes to a reboot.

The 3D animation is perfect. Love it.

A million and one times better than that Flash looking shit literally everyone and their mom has been using for the past decade.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
if you're taking issue with a different art style for something originally produced by klasky csupo i think you have the wrong priorities in life

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Maybe it's because all the Klasky Csupo shows looked weird AF, but I don't really mind the way that preview clip looks. Chuckie's hair is a bit unsettling but something was bound to be.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Compared to the 2D animated series, the lack of lighting really gives this an unintended eerie effect i feel.

Oct 25, 2017
It looks completely soulless. They look extremely similar to the people in the GrubHub commercials which some deep seated part of my brain is repulsed by.