• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
The excuse is its set before the movies which is a choice...
i mean kimi was a big nothing character in the original show who was window dressing most of the time (she was a lot better in all grown up where she was actually one of the better written characters and had more to do, but all grown up is also a bad show)

it's a real glaring omission that they cut out that whole area of representation, but they can do a lot better than kimi. heck they're only finally doing suzie justice given how little screen time she got in the original run of the show

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I can't say I'm able to conjure up strong feelings about this. I grew up on Rugrats but I haven't watched it or given it any serious thought in about 20 years. It looks fine? I would be curious if a new generation of kids takes to Rugrats like mine did.

I have a bigger concern regarding companies constantly dragging out old IPs and rebooting them instead of letting them end, but that doesn't appear to be stopping anytime soon.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
Sure looks like a CGI reboot of Rugrats alright.

Also I guess it's easier to write stories for 6 main characters rather than 8, but Dil and Kimi not being there seems weird. Especially since it was partly a show intended to show kids that people can come from all walks of life and cultures besides their own, so it's kind of strange that they'd get rid of their asian member of the main cast.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Animation looks like it was done in a labour camp. Cheap, no love put into this at all. The kind of animation quality you'd get from those cheap CGI shows made for toddlers.

Eulala

Aug 8, 2018
I had to do a double-take because I thought Tommy said, "Hold on to your butt holes!"

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it's fine. I'm sure at its inception the shows original animation style caught criticism for looking weird. This show isn't intended for me anymore so whatever

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, thats what a 21st century remake of a 20th century animated property looks like.

May 24, 2019
Man, it seems today's children are being brought up on the blandest looking animation.
Klasky Csupo gave us kids character!

TrashHeap64

Dec 7, 2017
Austin, TX
Looks like an HD version of the PSX game, which isn't a complement. Also seems like too much focus on set pieces and not a lot of slice of life episodes which were my preferred ones

Doran

Jun 9, 2018
I think I would rather this be animated in flash or some shit than whatever cgi style this is.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like something I would have made in Nickelodeon 3D Movie Maker (although the Rugrats were never in that)

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
De-aging Suzie is lame. She always kept Angelica in check and protect the other kids; now it seems she'll be as susceptible to Angelica's shenanigans as anyone else.

I would rather have them made one of Suzie's younger siblings a regular instead. Oh well I'm well out of the age range for this show so w/e

The same thing that happened to dil and thank god. Series took a dive in quality.

The series did take a dive but not because of Kimi, she was kinda just there. Dil, on the other hand...

Oct 27, 2017
De-aging Suzie is lame. She always kept Angelica in check and protect the other kids; now it seems she'll be as susceptible to Angelica's shenanigans as anyone else.

I would rather have them made one of Suzie's younger siblings a regular instead. Oh well I'm well out of the age range for this show so w/e

The series did take a dive but not because of Kimi, she was kinda just there. Dil, on the other hand...
I wasn't saying because of them. The dip happened a bit before dil and then once he came the nosedive happened.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Despite the lack of Dil and Kimi, this seems more in line with later seasons which were like 98% imagination sequences that have nothing to do with anything. Earlier seasons had a lot less imagination sequences and when they were used, they were actually related to stuff actually happening in the real world. It was the babies' way of interpreting things they didn't understand. Later seasons, they basically stood in the backyard and pretended to be in uninteresting movie parodies. Like it'd be Star Wars and Angelica would be Darth Vader and say "Tommy, I am your cousin" and that'd be the whole joke.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EG Daily is almost 60 and she still sounds the exact same as when she was 30

The CGI looks pretty dated

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Despite the lack of Dil and Kimi, this seems more in line with later seasons which were like 98% imagination sequences that have nothing to do with anything. Earlier seasons had a lot less imagination sequences and when they were used, they were actually related to stuff actually happening in the real world. It was the babies' way of interpreting things they didn't understand. Later seasons, they basically stood in the backyard and pretended to be in uninteresting movie parodies. Like it'd be Star Wars and Angelica would be Darth Vader and say "Tommy, I am your cousin" and that'd be the whole joke.
Yeah, hopefully that's just a trailer thing and not the whole show.

Teddy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I'm not too keen on the art style, I hope it performs well though as Nickelodeon really just need more shows that aren't SpongeBob.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This seems like an excessively faithful reboot, you think you'd want to do something, anything different other than the visual style

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like there was a clip early on that showed how well the art style could work? The trailer was fine, but doesn't really show anything spectacular besides just more Rugrats (as opposed to Animaniacs which showed at least some big updates we had to look forward to).

Don't miss Dill but I imagine we could see Kimi pop in later. If this is a reboot they can just introduce them in later seasons, and if it isn't they can just pop them in with episodes that take place after the movies.

I did briefly get excited to watch it but forgot I don't get Paramount+, though next time Picard is out I'll watch this during my month or two long subscription.

Status
Not open for further replies.