• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
YJ101_marquee_5c2eda640c2b07.40505210.jpg

That's a fair point. I loved the seasons that I got to see on TV, but I haven't really checked it out on DC universe. Did it officially finish, or does it still have another season? Either way, it definitely is one of the best animated projects to come from DC.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
When the show started I mentioned in the main thread that I thought she seemed awkward in the role. To me it just didn't seem like a good casting choice.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

Let's be honest, she's still a complete nobody and that tweet barely counts as viral. She's probably got something resembling a shot because the pool of out LGBT actors suitable for the role is quite small but going from Ruby to a no-name is a huge step down (even if the acting is a step up).

That's a fair point. I loved the seasons that I got to see on TV, but I haven't really checked it out on DC universe. Did it officially finish, or does it still have another season? Either way, it definitely is one of the best animated projects to come from DC.
S3 was a lot better than S2 IMO. It doesn't finish, it's been renewed for S4 on DCU already.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's probably got something resembling a shot because the pool of out LGBT actors suitable for the role is quite small but going from Ruby to a no-name is a huge step down (even if the acting is a step up).
I don't think there are any prominent LGBTQ+ actors that are appropriate for the role though. Most of the notable ones are probably too old. Maybe somebody like Ellen Page but she doesn't really have the physical stature to play somebody like Batwoman.

They are pretty much going to have to go with someone that is relatively unknown.

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
No one is going to ever say anything on official channels. I said it earlier in the topic -- she was a diva who was a nightmare to work with so she got fired. It's pretty simple. Lots of actors think they're bigger or more important than they are. Sometimes they are just threatened to be replaced (really does happen all the time) and that usually cools their jets. Sometimes they just are not redeemable though. It is hard to reach the threshold where this kind of action is taken.

For the record, actors can't break their contracts like this. Studios/Networks always have the advantage legally though -- they can always fire someone regardless of what the contract says.
Where did you say this?

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there are any prominent LGBTQ+ actors that are appropriate for the role though. Most of the notable ones are probably too old. Maybe somebody like Ellen Page but she doesn't really have the physical stature to play somebody like Batwoman.

They are pretty much going to have to go with someone that is relatively unknown.

They were too greedy with Ruby in the first place.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Although I always felt Ruby Rose would leave the Batwoman role earlier than other lead actors, it's very surprising to see it happening this soon, though I guess the DCTV people hinting at some kind of drama on social media does suggest that there were untenable circumstances.

Given the universe in which the TV show is set, there's no shortage of ways to try to explain it, though I wonder if they even really need to bother. Most of the audience will know anyway, and a bunch of the rest will probably be quick enough to accept a new person in the role.

Out of all the Arrowverse series, I think Batwoman is probably the only one that could survive a recasting like this. The post-Crisis episodes of Batwoman were the pleasant surprise of this year's whole Arrowverse, and Ruby Rose was doing a better job in those episodes than she did at first, but she never looked comfortable in the role and she was being consistently outclassed by other actors, most especially Skarsten.

Look, Barry fucks up a lot, but I'm fairly certain even Barry Allen isn't stupid enough to try and save the same person twice.
It wouldn't be too surprising if, by the time The Flash finally ends, the scene where Barry's mother dies is just a roomful of Barry Allens, trying to alternatively save her or stop the other Barry Allens from saving her.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let's be honest, she's still a complete nobody and that tweet barely counts as viral. She's probably got something resembling a shot because the pool of out LGBT actors suitable for the role is quite small but going from Ruby to a no-name is a huge step down (even if the acting is a step up).

S3 was a lot better than S2 IMO. It doesn't finish, it's been renewed for S4 on DCU already.

Each season of YJ has been worse than the last.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
That's great to know, that really puts me in a better mood after I watched Apokolips War.
I'll warn you that S3 does get darker now that they're on DCU with no restrictions. It's not to the detriment of the show, except they bizarrely have a you killed Kenny recurring bit with a character getting killed over and over.

Each season of YJ has been worse than the last.
fuck no, S3 was much better than S2

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, it's lovable Barry's job to add another L and get it done. ;)

That bad? Haven't seen it yet.

I don't mean to get too OT, but for me it was pretty awful. It felt like it was really trying to outdo Flashpoint, which was another film/event that I thought was a little too grimdark. I could just be too sensitive considering how stressful life has been the past few months though, so if you liked the last stretch of DC animated films, you could wind up enjoying this.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to get too OT, but for me it was pretty awful. It felt like it was really trying to outdo Flashpoint, which was another film/event that I thought was a little too grimdark. I could just be too sensitive considering how stressful life has been the past few months though, so if you liked the last stretch of DC animated films, you could wind up enjoying this.
Yeah, not really the place for it, but oh okay, yeah I saw the Flashpoint one so I know what you mean.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Out of all the Arrowverse series, I think Batwoman is probably the only one that could survive a recasting like this. The post-Crisis episodes of Batwoman were the pleasant surprise of this year's whole Arrowverse, and Ruby Rose was doing a better job in those episodes than she did at first, but she never looked comfortable in the role and she was being consistently outclassed by other actors, most especially Skarsten.

Yeah, I think if Supergirl lost Melissa it would be devastating. The Flash losing Grant would be similarly catastrophic. I just don't see either show losing their lead and continuing on for long - both shows' leads are their shows.

In some kind of small blessing, Ruby quitting (or being fired) this early means the show has a chance to define itself without her.

Yep he just had Colton on talking about how he was surprised at how good his chemistry was Willa despite him being very gay lol

I'm watching him and Barrowman chat now. This is fun stuff. Nice and relaxing to watch.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Although I always felt Ruby Rose would leave the Batwoman role earlier than other lead actors, it's very surprising to see it happening this soon, though I guess the DCTV people hinting at some kind of drama on social media does suggest that there were untenable circumstances.

Given the universe in which the TV show is set, there's no shortage of ways to try to explain it, though I wonder if they even really need to bother. Most of the audience will know anyway, and a bunch of the rest will probably be quick enough to accept a new person in the role.

It wouldn't be too surprising if, by the time The Flash finally ends, the scene where Barry's mother dies is just a roomful of Barry Allens, trying to alternatively save her or stop the other Barry Allens from saving her.

Yeah they'll get through this but like Supergirl would not be Supergirl without Melissa.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Yeah, I think if Supergirl lost Melissa it would be devastating. The Flash losing Grant would be similarly catastrophic. I just don't see either show losing their lead and continuing on for long - both shows' leads are their shows.

In some kind of small blessing, Ruby quitting (or being fired) this early means the show has a chance to define itself without her.
Ruby made shockingly little impact as Kate. She had no presence or X factor like the other Arrowverse leads do. It was weird seeing a show where the lead would blend into the scenery, although it wouldn't surprise me if the writers gave her less to do after some of the stuff that's going around.

She was better as Batwoman, she had the physicality for fights and the expressionless demeanor works for the character. As long as she didn't need to say a line that conflicted with her accent lol

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Ruby made shockingly little impact as Kate. She had no presence or X factor like the other Arrowverse leads do. It was weird seeing a show where the lead would blend into the scenery, although it wouldn't surprise me if the writers gave her less to do after some of the stuff that's going around.

She was better as Batwoman, she had the physicality for fights and the expressionless demeanor works for the character. As long as she didn't need to say a line that conflicted with her accent lol

Agreed all over. I am not sad to see her go. I just hope they can replace her with someone actually deserving.

She WAS getting better though.

Not huge on memes, but this one from an AV Club thread really got me:

jugqzckis2fovuiqzsbd.jpg

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

Pretty much. Amell is the closest example to Ruby that we have in terms of a lead actor being the weakest performer on their respective shows, but Amell's screen presence definitely outstripped Ruby's even in the early seasons.

I hope whoever they get to play Kate next is fun to watch.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I'm watching the last 3 episodes now, next season is going to be so weird.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully they will be able to cast an awesome LGBTQ+ actress as the new Kate. I was planning on binging the whole first season over the summer. I really don't want this casting change to hurt the show overall, Batwoman is a great character, and maybe this new casting will help in the long run.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I am trying to think of any show in modern history that's successfully swapped out lead actors. Doctor Who is the only thing that really occurs to me, but that has a fanbase that actually wants and expects to see new actors in the same role.

Death in Paradise

Now on their fourth lead actor - indeed, only has two cast members who were there day one, and they're slightly separated from the main police station - and it's pretty much stayed at the same comfortable ratings throughout.

(Going back further - and for an extremely long-running series - Silent Witness is still trucking)

Edit: Oh, Taggart lost Taggart, and kept going.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA

YUUUUP! Always felt this way as the show went on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Death in Paradise

Now on their fourth lead actor - indeed, only has two cast members who were there day one, and they're slightly separated from the main police station - and it's pretty much stayed at the same comfortable ratings throughout.

(Going back further - and for an extremely long-running series - Silent Witness is still trucking)

Edit: Oh, Taggart lost Taggart, and kept going.

Death in Paradise has pretty much become the crime procedural version of Doctor Who with how frequently they lose lead actors.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much. Amell is the closest example to Ruby that we have in terms of a lead actor being the weakest performer on their respective shows, but Amell's screen presence definitely outstripped Ruby's even in the early seasons.

I hope whoever they get to play Kate next is fun to watch.

Yup, and Amell got a LOT better as the show continued and he made the role his own.

I have no confidence that Rose could have pulled that off.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, and Amell got a LOT better as the show continued and he made the role his own.

I have no confidence that Rose could have pulled that off.

Yea, I know S1 is growing pains and all that, but I honestly can't picture her ever being truly comfortable in the role, or me getting attached. When freaking Mary is more charismatic than you, that's an issue...

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's fair now! Although it was a bit of a surprise the first time it happened, and I was really impressed with how well it handled the transition.

It's weird. I remember going into the show expecting Kris Marshall to show up, but honestly Humphrey grew on me pretty quickly. I fell off the show before he left, though.

Yea, I know S1 is growing pains and all that, but I honestly can't picture her ever being truly comfortable in the role, or me getting attached. When freaking Mary is more charismatic than you, that's an issue...

I feel like I have more confidence in Mia's actress making the role her own than I did in Ruby doing the same with Kate.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird. I remember going into the show expecting Kris Marshall to show up, but honestly Humphrey grew on me pretty quickly. I fell off the show before he left, though.

I feel like I have more confidence in Mia's actress making the role her own than I did in Ruby doing the same with Kate.
Yeah there's potential with Mia. Part of it was the writing and the lack of softer scenes with her. I'm hopeful the canary show turns out great.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there's potential with Mia. Part of it was the writing and the lack of softer scenes with her. I'm hopeful the canary show turns out great.

Yeah, I guess having her be aggro constantly meant the actress didn't have a ton of room to maneuver. I don't know what else she's been in so I don't know if she has much more range, but she's at least not cardboard like Ruby is in most of her uncostumed scenes.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Catch up on the thread and it seem like there was drama with her.
If they did fired here she had to be a nightmare since that is drastic move to make.
It also seem likely since you not getting out of a contract like that the first year .

Yeah, I guess having her be aggro constantly meant the actress didn't have a ton of room to maneuver. I don't know what else she's been in so I don't know if she has much more range, but she's at least not cardboard like Ruby is in most of her uncostumed scenes.

She has more range that Ruby for certain .

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
I am trying to think of any show in modern history that's successfully swapped out lead actors. Doctor Who is the only thing that really occurs to me, but that has a fanbase that actually wants and expects to see new actors in the same role.

Midsomer Murders changed its lead after 13 years.

What is funny about this change is that the show is know internationally as Inspector Barnaby (or whatever the translation is in other languages), so they had to replace the lead character named Tom Barnaby with his cousin named John Barnaby.

That show is now at its 21st seasons