• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Yea that's what shocking, her giving up that paycheck

Because if it was about thinking she's above the CW or something, she wouldn't have taken the gig in the first place... I think
I mean the article says it's not due to the injury she sustained but that had to have been incredibly traumatic and then maybe thr personal realities or just the stress of doing a show like this you know.

Saifu

Oct 27, 2017
LOL this is a first in the Arrowverse right?
What a fucking joke, wrap this shit up CW.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Ditching a leading role in a renewed series based on a beloved character. She either really hated doing it, or is really confident of other opportunities.

Pretty sure Eva Green did something similar with Penny Dreadful so she could star in Ms Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which should have been a multi-movie franchise. It didn't exactly pan out. You'd think sticking with a TV show would be the smart move since it's reliable income.

Deleted member 60295

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 28, 2019
I haven't watched this show, and I'm aware that Ruby Rose isn't a good actor, but.... neither was Stephen Amell. And yet, people didn't complain that much, and he actually grew into the role a bit, especially in Season 2. (I didn't watch the show pass season 3 though, so forgive me for not being up to date with how he fared in later seasons.)

I don't get this at all. What the hell is going on behind the scenes?

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
I was just starting to come around to her after disliking her performances in the first crossover and earlier in the season. Alice is really the big star of the show anyway, but it's a bummer Ruby's leaving and Batwoman needs to be recast. Unless the new lead is completely nondescript, it shouldn't be a horrible result.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
I am trying to think of any show in modern history that's successfully swapped out lead actors. Doctor Who is the only thing that really occurs to me, but that has a fanbase that actually wants and expects to see new actors in the same role.

Spartacus? They had no choice (Andy was the GOAT :(. ) But still show was great after and I think still did well?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Eva Green did something similar with Penny Dreadful so she could star in Ms Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, which should have been a multi-movie franchise. It didn't exactly pan out. You'd think sticking with a TV show would be the smart move since it's reliable income.
Yeah really. The Supernatural brothers have the right idea. Just chill out in Vancouver half the year, have fun on set, and enjoy life on easy street. Why throw away a golden ticket that 98% of working actors would kill for.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I mean the article says it's not due to the injury she sustained but that had to have been incredibly traumatic and then maybe thr personal realities or just the stress of doing a show like this you know.

Well I don't wanna assume too much, also this is actually the first time I even learned of her injury tbh

As for these CW shows, especially the superhero side of things, I always figured anyone getting into them, much less the lead, understood that they're probably in it for the long haul

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are few paychecks in Hollywood more secure than a CW Arrowverse show. Something really bad must have happened behind the scenes for her to leave (or be fired?)

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
They should 100% have Rachel Skarsten in the role, taking Batwoman down with the kryptonite, cutting her face off and making her look like herself is so totally Alice. The plastic surgery stuff is so perfect instead of them just replacing the actor and never acknowledging it.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 and a half men, and NYPD Blue?
NYPD Blue
And I'd argue when The Practice brought in Spader the last season was great. Practice might not have continued but for Boston Legal.
NYPD Blue replacing Caruso with Smits, but it's not really a recast, it's a different character.
Yeah, I was thinking more of recasts where a new actor played the same character that had already been established. I think NYPD Blue and 2 and a Half Men brought in a new character to replace one that they wrote off the show. Same with Criminal Minds after Mandy Patinkin's abrupt departure.

The only shows I can really think of are Valerie's Family/The Hogan Family and Bewtiched. And that's kinda stretching the definition of the "modern era" of television.

They are getting a new lead actress to play Queen Elizabeth on The Crown, though that is necessitated because the show is doing a huge time-skip.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Evan Rachel Wood would be great...

it'd be a waste of her talent just like Westworld though

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
People wanting Rachel to play Batwoman, not realizing that Rachel isn't gay, right? That would be quite a disservice to the character and representation.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
They just introduced "Bruce Wayne" (Hush) in the season finale.

Just have Bruce come back and it's a Batman show that's just called Batwoman. Be clever with the logo design, like BATWOMAN or whatever.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Kinda hard to complain about her acting in a CW show of all things but I only watched first episode and Crisis. She can't be that bad?

Surprising as people have said, it's one steady pay check, better offers elsewhere seems unlikely for her talents but who knows, maybe she asked for too much money and CW didn't budge or something else entirely.

Casting is no problem if you get the right person.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Thats weird lol. Hopefully they can land on their feet after this. I would hate to see the show suffer because it lost its lead.

Bing147

Jun 13, 2018
Is it though? Internationally apparently nobody wanted it.

It was the CW's third highest rated show this year, and one of the two shows that beat it was the shortened final season of Arrow which is gone now. So yes, its one of the CW's top shows. A lot of people in this thread talking like the show was on the verge of dying. Its done VERY well from a ratings perspective.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
I forgot this show existed (don't care about CW in general), is it worth saving? Because recasting the lead seems more trouble than its worth one season in...