• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is a shocker: Ruby Rose, the star of the CW's freshman drama series Batwoman,is leaving the Warner Bros. TV/Berlanti Prods. drama after one season. The series, which already has been renewed for a second season, will continue with the title role getting recast.

"I have made the very difficult decision to not return to Batwoman next season," Rose said in a statement "This was not a decision I made lightly as I have the utmost respect for the cast, crew and everyone involved with the show in both Vancouver and in Los Angeles."

"I am beyond appreciative to Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and Caroline Dries for not only giving me this incredible opportunity, but for welcoming me into the DC universe they have so beautifully created," she said. "Thank you Peter Roth and Mark Pedowitz and the teams at Warner Bros. and The CW who put so much into the show and always believed in me. Thank you to everyone who made season one a success – I am truly grateful."

deadline.com

Ruby Rose Exits the CW’s ‘Batwoman’, DC Series To Recast Iconic Lead Role For Season 2

This is a shocker: Ruby Rose, the star of the CW's freshman drama series Batwoman, is leaving the Warner Bros. TV/Berlanti Prods. drama after one season.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This is wild. I did kind of feel like it was strange to go from being featured in John Wick 2 to this when she was first cast, though Melissa Benoist was in Whiplash so what do I know.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Assuming that they are serious about getting an LGBTQ+ replacement, what's the biggest name they would be able to cast?

MGPanda

Feb 25, 2018
Holy shit, this is something. If I'm completely honest I didn't really like most of the season and thought that Ruby was one of the weakest actresses in the show, but... She did look amazing as Batwoman and she loved the role, as far as I know. Something must've happened for her to leave this suddenly. Hopefully everything's okay.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Recasting a lead hits at the ratings of every show that's ever attempted it. Nobody watches this thing anyway.

Just kill it, guys.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Huh. Ditching a leading role in a renewed series based on a beloved character. She either really hated doing it, or is really confident of other opportunities.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
wow. she was arguably one the more blah elements of the show, but still, it was hers. gonna be weird without her.

btw season one was pretty good. one of the better seasons of the cw-verse shows this year.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
if other options were available (and I assume they are), i wouldn't want to be stuck doing cw shit for years either.

but then again, she doesn't strike me as particularly talented sooooooooo....

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the show will be watchable now. She was by far the weakest actor on the show. She just didn't have the charisma to carry the role IMO.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
I had heard she wasn't easy to work with and falsely blamed the production for an injury she had received elsewhere.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Crazy move for her, she's really not a great actress. Lead of a long-running CW superhero show feels like it should be her peak? But I dunno, worse actors/actresses have gone further in show business.

I liked her in the Crisis crossover. Not enough to watch the show, though. She really did look cool though.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
She got seriously injured early on in the role so maybe that has something to do with it?

Its a shame when these things happen especially because there is a lot of great stuff in Batwoman outside all the bad CW writing. On the other hand, she was not good in the role when it came to the acting portion and almost every one of her co-stars would steal the scene.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Recasting a lead hits at the ratings of every show that's ever attempted it. Nobody watches this thing anyway.
I am trying to think of any show in modern history that's successfully swapped out lead actors. Doctor Who is the only thing that really occurs to me, but that has a fanbase that actually wants and expects to see new actors in the same role.

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London
Hmm, well she was miscast and not very good, but something has to have gone very badly wrong behind the scenes for this to happen. And it is very hard to see the show surviving this.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Beyond the obvious optics of a mediocre-performing show losing its lead actress at the end of season 1, I didn't particularly think Rose was that great as Kate but I also didn't think she was as terrible as I was expecting she'd be.

The irony here is that it looks like Batwoman was on track to come back in January with most of the other Arrowverse shows and Supergirl wasn't. I wonder if they're going to have to reassess scheduling and filming plans for next season.

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I can't wait to find out the reason. It will pretty much kill the show and hurt everyone who works on it, so it has to be a serious reason.

OP
OP
Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I had heard she wasn't easy to work with and falsely blamed the production for an injury she had received elsewhere.

From the article

Neither Rose, nor the Batwoman producers would speak to the reasons for the actress' exit so early into the series' life, though sources indicated that it is not related to the stunt injury she sustained during filming of Season 1, which left her facing paralysis and needing emergency surgery.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Well RIP Batwoman then. Changing the lead actor in a show rarely goes well and the show was already on the edge from what I understand.

sirap

Oct 25, 2017
South East Asia
I really hope they continue with the show (I know they said they will, but anything can happen..) The first season wasn't a hit but they've got some interesting things going on that I'd like to see expanded on.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Lmfao, uh, okay

She sucked anyways as Kate so I won't pretend I'mma miss her, but damn, where's the loyalty 😂

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I'm kind of surprised she wasn't under contract... or did they just let her out of it for some reason?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I can't wait to find out the reason. It will pretty much kill the show and hurt everyone who works on it, so it has to be a serious reason.
I really don't think it has to kill the show. Ruby Rose is kind of a terrible actress. It might be an adjustment period, but with the right replacement this could end up being a blessing in disguise.

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Man, if that neck surgery didn't force her out of the role I wonder what did?

Shame, though I didn't see much of the show beyond the first few episodes I enjoy her in the role.