• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
What I'm saying is the opposite of narrowing the scope, I want as big a field as possible for this casting. I was literally just watching something on Grant Guston's casting earlier today and they talked about how Grant was younger than they envisioned, not as big, wrong hair colour. Now imagine before the casting of Flash, Greg Berlati had tried to reassure fans by saying "he'll be thirtysomething like the comics, great body and blonde", suddenly the best lead casting in the Arrowverse never happens. And before anyone says anything, I know that's not a like for like comparison, blonde hair and LGBTQ representation aren't the same thing, that's just an example of an acting pool being narrowed by certain requirements.

Also I touched on the Jewish thing before, there was actually blowback about Ruby's casting considering Kate Kane is one of the few Jewish superheroes. Are we just going to ignore certain representation whilst having a hard line on LGBTQ representation?

Anyway, hopefully they find someone who's great who hits all the important points including being LGBTQ. I'm just saying they've made it more difficult, which they have have, you add requirements to a role and casting will inevitably be harder, I don't think anyone can argue that.
You just used the casting of a white dude to argue for not casting a LGBTQ actor. You don't see the insanity in that?

Kaah

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Paris
Eh I understand what he's saying. Representation is important, but your sexuality should not be a factor when you're an actor and you're having an audition for a role.
Imagine having to answer question about your sexual orientation ? not everyone wants to go public about that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
In general I don't think people have an issue, comicbook live action casting is always a minefield, because people have far more clearly defined ideas of what the character IS and always seem bizarrely fixated on how they look compared to the comic rather than the qualities of the actor cast.

I suppose some people would argue that good casting for a comic book role is difficult enough without putting a filter of sexuality over it. I don't really buy it. They'd never say the same thing the character deviated from their perceived look due to say race: see Titans and Starfire.

I am torn though between the idea that you should just aim to get the best actor for the role and the idea that you should aim for representation. I think the latter is really nice to have and can lend something to the role (Ruby Rose worked as the character despite quite a limited acting range) but by and large if I was a producer I can't help but think I'd get more right by going for the former.

It will not be hard at all for them to find a lesbian actress who can do a better job than Ruby. There are a LOT of gay people in the theatre and TV acting community.

Eh I understand what he's saying. Representation is important, but your sexuality should not be a factor when you're an actor and you're having an audition for a role.
Imagine having to answer question about your sexuality ? not everyone wants to go public about that.

Just a hunch, but I'm fairly certain the people most likely to audition for the part of the most publicly, openly gay superheroine in the DC universe are going to be out lesbians.

Closeted and straight actresses have plenty of other parts on the CW that they could go for without having to confront that.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
It's not like any of the cw leads were names

Grant Gustin was just some asshole on Glee for example

The fuck was Amell known for
He had that guest spot on Private Practice, that guest spot on The Vampire Diaries and that failed audition for Spartacus. That casting agency is really brilliant. Usually they do put a couple of 'names' next to their unknowns. Batwoman is the only one where they did it the other way around, put a bunch of unknowns around a name.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
This entire argument is nonsensical.

LGBTQ women are not an endangered species.

Jewish women aren't either but we ended up with Ruby Rose.

Also, I was nowhere close to arguing that point, I don't want a straight woman only in the role, I'm not saying there aren't countless LGBTQ women out there, I'm just saying that with limited time, they've narrowed the acting pool.

You just used the casting of a white dude to argue for not casting a LGBTQ actor. You don't see the insanity in that?

Uh, I literally said it wasn't the same thing?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
He had that guest spot on Private Practice, that guest spot on The Vampire Diaries and that failed audition for Spartacus. That casting agency is really brilliant. Usually they do put a couple of 'names' next to their unknowns. Batwoman is the only one where they did it the other way around, put a bunch of unknowns around a name.

Yeah, I have to give the CW credit, they're incredibly good at picking up "hey, it's that guy" actors and placing them around relative unknowns as leads to build up a strong supporting cast and help make a nobody into a somebody.

When I started watching Flash, for example, I was immediately familiar with Tom Cavanagh (Scrubs) and Jesse L Martin (RENT, etc), alongside Broadway Legend Victor Garber. Supergirl had goddamn Ally McBeal and Jeremy Jordan. Arrow had John Barrowman. And now Stargirl has Joel McHale, Amy Smart and Luke Wilson.

Honestly, Black Lightning is the show with the least amount of "known" actors in its debut season (pretty much just James Remar, who's been around a while but usually plays bad guys), but they nailed the casting for the Pierces and Tobias so perfectly from the getgo that it doesn't even matter.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
The Arrowverse has done plenty of casting that disregards the actor's sexuality. Chyler Leigh and Echo Kellum are both straight and play the Alex and Curtis who are gay. Caity Lotz is straight but plays the bi lead in a relationship with a woman on Legends. Colton Haynes, John Barrowman and Rick Cosnett were all playing very hetero characters and are gay IRL. Greg Berlanti has absolutely no problem playing favorite with the gays being one himself, and I'm missing a bunch more examples. But he knows that for the lead role and specifically probably the most well known LGBT comic book character that casting for the community will mean something to them.

but yeah also the Jewish thing does kind of mean picking and choosing representation. sometimes you can't be perfect.

I'm mean even if we go with the argument that sexual orientation shouldn't matter regarding roles (which I personally disagree with especially in regards to gay representation), it still makes for better casting to pick a gay woman to play a gay character. In particular regarding chemistry and romantic scenes
I mean low key Ruby is an example of why sexuality doesn't necessarily mean better chemistry because hoooooooo boy she had none with anybody lol but obviously you're right in most cases

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
There is one Jewish actress that also has an excellent reputation in the LBGTQ community, and that has worked with Caroline Dries for years. But casting Kat Graham as twin of Rachel Skarsten might have another issue.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
I didnt even know this show existed until I saw this headline. Decided to throw on the pilot now to see what its like. Im usually not into the CW stuff as it comes off really cheap and rushed. So far its not terrible, but Rose is pretty emotionless, wasnt sure if that was a Batwoman character decision or just bad acting. Sounds like its the latter based on the comments here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I didnt even know this show existed until I saw this headline. Decided to throw on the pilot now to see what its like. Im usually not into the CW stuff as it comes off really cheap and rushed. So far its not terrible, but Rose is pretty emotionless, wasnt sure if that was a Batwoman character decision or just bad acting. Sounds like its the latter based on the comments here.

It's basically show held up almost entirely by the work Rachel Skarsten is doing as the main antagonist. It really won't be hard to pick an actress with more charisma and chemistry than Ruby.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I wonder how long Skarsten is even going to stay on the show. Yeah she's the Merlyn/RF of the show, but they still needed to leave after a while because well, look what happens if they don't. Her character is beyond irredeemable at this point, she seemed like a one season regular and then locked away to guest star status.

They really shouldn't have killed off Beth. That stung.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how long Skarsten is even going to stay on the show. Yeah she's the Merlyn/RF of the show, but they still needed to leave after a while because well, look what happens if they don't.

They really shouldn't have killed off Beth. That stung.

Pretty much. I realize that killing Beth was "necessary" for the plot, but Alice can't stick around forever and Skarsten is really the one pillar holding the show up currently.

As much as I love Tom Cavanagh, it's getting kind of silly to have Thawne show up every year like Team Rocket.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
and Skarsten is really the one pillar holding the show up currently.
maybe the new Kate actress can change up the character so she actually remembers that Mary is her sister so they can have an actual sibling relationship, because it's all going to fall on Nicole Kang

they should sub in Paul Blackthorne for Dougray Scott. nobody will notice.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
If they were to step away from the representation element, casting Skarsten as Batwoman is the easiest solution to keeping her around and replacing Ruby. But they could still do another season of villain Alice, then do a season of reformed Alice living her life as she should and then end with Batwoman ruining that.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
maybe the new Kate actress can change up the character so she actually remembers that Mary is her sister so they can have an actual sibling relationship, because it's all going to fall on Nicole Kang

they should sub in Paul Blackthorne for Dougray Scott. nobody will notice.

Ah, yes, Dougray Scott. The actor most notable for being fired from playing Wolverine in the X-Men movies. Yeah, I doubt anyone would realize he's gone.

If they were to step away from the representation element, casting Skarsten as Batwoman is the easiest solution to keeping her around and replacing Ruby. But they could still do another season of villain Alice, then do a season of reformed Alice living her life as she should and then end with Batwoman ruining that.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Rachel wouldn't take that gig.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
I'm midway through season one, and I'm blown away by how much lower the budget is for Batwoman than the other Arrowverse shows.

Love Ruby Rose's other work, but as a huge Batwoman fan, I actually feel like WB can do better. Her Australian accent keeps slipping into her delivery, which takes me out of the show hardcore. I like her understated performance, don't get me wrong, and she's an objective superb actor, but I really hope their next choice gives me the same feeling as the casting in Berlanti's other DC shows.

Watched episode 8 last night, and so far, I'm most impressed by Alice and Mary; both fantastic. Now that I'm finally caught up on Arrow, Flash, Batwoman, and Supergirl, I'm going to watch the Crisis crossovers this weekend. Can't wait!

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Probably a good call, show seems like a complete mess from what I heard. That PA was paralysed, she was almost paralysed herself on set and the show didn't cover her medical Bills, seas9j ran Much longer than she agreed to, audience hates her for her acting, LGBTQ people seem to dislike her in general.

Literally zero reason to not walk away from that low budget mess.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Probably a good call, show seems like a complete mess from what I heard. That PA was paralysed, she was almost paralysed herself on set and the show didn't cover her medical Bills, seas9j ran Much longer than she agreed to, audience hates her for her acting, LGBTQ people seem to dislike her in general.

Literally zero reason to not walk away from that low budget mess.

How did the season run on longer than she agreed to? The number of episodes is in her contract.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
The Arrowverse has done plenty of casting that disregards the actor's sexuality. Chyler Leigh and Echo Kellum are both straight and play the Alex and Curtis who are gay. Caity Lotz is straight but plays the bi lead in a relationship with a woman on Legends. Colton Haynes, John Barrowman and Rick Cosnett were all playing very hetero characters and are gay IRL. Greg Berlanti has absolutely no problem playing favorite with the gays being one himself, and I'm missing a bunch more examples. But he knows that for the lead role and specifically probably the most well known LGBT comic book character that casting for the community will mean something to them.

but yeah also the Jewish thing does kind of mean picking and choosing representation. sometimes you can't be perfect.

I mean low key Ruby is an example of why sexuality doesn't necessarily mean better chemistry because hoooooooo boy she had none with anybody lol but obviously you're right in most cases

It is STUNNING how little chemistry she has with her love interests. Hell she has little chemistry in her platonic relationships too.

She makes Jimmy seem sexy by comparison.

Last edited:

RoninRay

Oct 28, 2017
Stephanie Beatriz apparently has interest in the role. As long as it doesn't mess with Brooklyn nine nine she would kill it. I would hope she moves up to bigger things though

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
Stephanie Beatriz apparently has interest in the role. As long as it doesn't mess with Brooklyn nine nine she would kill it. I would hope she moves up to bigger things though

Probably too old. Usually these actors and actresses are hired ~30 yo. She is almost 40.

And she would almost definitely leave B99 if she did.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Kate Kane is supposed to be 29. Ruby Rose was already kind of too old for the role, so was Skarsten, so I don't think they can push much older. They'll be aiming for 30 I assume.

Immortan

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Stephanie Beatriz would kill it, but she would have to leave B99 and I don't see her leaving B99 just to go to Canada to film in cold ass winters for 14 hours a day.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Lol, give me a break. She's great on B99, but she'd play a parent on a CW show not the lead.

I'm not sure what he said required a rude "lol give me a break" response.

You shouldn't be "lol give me a break"-ing someone for saying that when "older" actresses unfairly get passed over for their age on a regular basis. It's a very bad thing that "39-year-old" is considered to old to be a female lead.

But honestly, your comment falls apart anyway, given that the female lead in next year's Superman & Lois series is 39 years old. (Not only that, but the actor playing Superman is actually younger, at 32 years old. We should be hoping this is a trend we'll see more of at CW.)

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Just find a way to kill off Alice and make Rachel Skarsten the new Batwoman. They are supposed to be twins anyway.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Just find a way to kill off Alice and make Rachel Skarsten the new Batwoman. They are supposed to be twins anyway.

The better idea would be to kill off Kate and then have Alice fracture again and develop a new personality that believes she's Batwoman, but I don't think either is really the direction to take this show.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Jade Tailor, known for playing Kady on The Magicians, is expressing interest while seemingly also coming out as bi at the same time.

twitter.com

Jade Tailor on Twitter

“Soo... since #rubyrose is no longer playing #Batwoman on #BatwomanCW I think they should cast someone with fighting skills (like krav maga) who has already played a bad ass on screen the last 5 years and loves working crazy hours! Just saying @TheCW I’m right here waiting🙋🏻‍♀️”
twitter.com

Jade Tailor on Twitter

“@SarahBekett @TheCW I agree that it is important to represent the LGBTQA+ community as a whole. Not just a lesbian. One letter that people rarely acknowledge is the B in those letters”

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Jade Tailor, known for playing Kady on The Magicians, is expressing interest while seemingly also coming out as bi at the same time.

twitter.com

Jade Tailor on Twitter

“Soo... since #rubyrose is no longer playing #Batwoman on #BatwomanCW I think they should cast someone with fighting skills (like krav maga) who has already played a bad ass on screen the last 5 years and loves working crazy hours! Just saying @TheCW I’m right here waiting🙋🏻‍♀️”
twitter.com

Jade Tailor on Twitter

“@SarahBekett @TheCW I agree that it is important to represent the LGBTQA+ community as a whole. Not just a lesbian. One letter that people rarely acknowledge is the B in those letters”

Good for her. I think I only ever watched the pilot for that show, so I don't remember how good she was. Still, she might be great. I hope whoever they cast will do a great job. I really would hate to see this show crash and burn because of the casting issues.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Jade Tailor on Twitter

twitter.com

Jade Tailor on Twitter

Huh. I could see it. Jade's very talented, though I imagine her take on Kate would be very very different from Ruby's.

Vullein070

Nov 2, 2019
The Netherlands
I'd rather have Wallis Day than Jade Tailor tbh. I think Wallis is a better actress and she's also younger, so she can play the role as long as the other CW leads have.

Grant started playing Flash when he was like 24, and Stephen when he was around 30. Wallis is 25 and Jade is 34.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County

twitter.com

Jade Tailor on Twitter

twitter.com

Jade Tailor on Twitter

she was def not afraid of getting physical on Magicians

Vullein070

Nov 2, 2019
The Netherlands
Yooooo Wallis is fire. Loved her on Krypton. She kinda has that Ruby vibe as well.
I think she looks the part,. Not only does she kinda look like Ruby (at least, more than most other actresses including Jade Tailor), but she also could easily pass off as Alice's/Rachel Skarsten's twin.

She, like Jade, is also not afraid to get physical and she's still training for another action role and stuff like that. Honestly thinking about it now, Wallis should've been Batwoman from the beginning.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I think she looks the part,. Not only does she kinda look like Ruby (at least, more than most other actresses including Jade Tailor), but she also could easily pass off as Alice's/Rachel Skarsten's twin.

I don't think they need to (or intend to) worry about the replacement looking like Ruby Rose. But yeah, they definitely want to make sure whoever they cast could pass as a sibling to Rachel.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Jade Tailor on Twitter

twitter.com

Jade Tailor on Twitter

OMG please.

Kady was the best