• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
Lines up with what I figured.
Maybe she noticed a tv filming schedule isn't for her? She can film a movie in a few weeks and move on to other projects taking time off inbetween. Lead tv role requires a lot of on set time, months away from family and a hectic filming schedule.
^

She wasn't happy and it showed in her behind the scenes attitude.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Yup, lines up with what my friend was saying [although she was being very professional in what she shared with me].

Weird to imagine "not acclimating to life in Vancouver well".

Like, if you have money and a good job, Vancouver is the best place on earth?
You're in Canada and every other opportunity is in NY and California.

Calista Flockheaet wasn't going to be doing that.

I'm surprised the cast of Supernatural have done it for so long.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Bunch of Arrowverse actors struggle with that I think. Think I read a bunch of Supergirls cast especially because they were somewhere else for season 1 and then CW bought them and they had to move which was hard on them. It's why that 1 lady left the show I'm pretty sure.

Calista Flockhart was not interested in following the show to Vancouver, yeah. The other actors who've left made it way longer - Jeremy Jordan left so he could do Broadway again and Mehcad Brooks...I dunno. I imagine he was just bored.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Yup, lines up with what my friend was saying [although she was being very professional in what she shared with me].

Weird to imagine "not acclimating to life in Vancouver well".

Like, if you have money and a good job, Vancouver is the best place on earth?

I would be absolutely miserable working a full time tv schedule that films primarily at night and with Vancouver winters to boot. Like I have all the respect in the world for the actors and actresses filming in shit weather at shit times. I could not do it.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
I would be absolutely miserable working a full time tv schedule that films primarily at night and with Vancouver winters to boot. Like I have all the respect in the world for the actors and actresses filming in shit weather at shit times. I could not do it.
Sounds about right.

As for bringing in a replacement, just have Alice or some new big bad bust her up requiring facial reconstruction. It'd add some credibility to whoever does it (See Bane). She'll just be taller or whatever cause.. reasons. lol

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Yeah as I figured, behind the scene stuff
Though she must have been a total nightmare if they wanted her off

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Smallville had an extremely grueling schedule too. I think it probably cost Tom Welling his marriage and both him and Michael Rosenbaum talked a bit about the crazy hours they'd shoot.

Am_I_Evil

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds about right.

As for bringing in a replacement, just have Alice or some new big bad bust her up requiring facial reconstruction. It'd add some credibility to whoever does it (See Bane). She'll just be taller or whatever cause.. reasons. lol

hell Alice could change her face to fuck with her...Kate no longer looks like Kate, has to prove to everyone she is who she says she is....or they could just ignore it 🤷

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (3 Months): Homophobia; Prior Severe Ban for Islamophobia
Lets not act like Rose was/is a good actor. I think after the bad reviews the show got the producers are kind of happy about this shake up. Rose is a plank of wood in everything I have seen her. Got the job for being gay irl, but even the gay community seemed to hate her for some reason.

Also don't think that forcing a Woman from the LGBTQ community to be cast for the role does anybody any favor, these are actors, they can act being gay, get a good actor.
Its the same shit like Bond needing to be a cis white male in universe and in irl, just turned around for Batwoman. Who gives a shit as what an actor identifies as or what gender gets to fuck him/her? Don't discriminate based on orientation either way.

Hope they can turn this show around.

Kyari

Oct 25, 2017
Also don't think that forcing a Woman from the LGBTQ community to be cast for the role does anybody any favor, these are actors, they can act being gay, get a good actor.
Its the same shit like Bond needing to be a cis white male in universe and in irl, just turned around for Batwoman. Who gives a shit as what an actor identifies as or what gender gets to fuck him/her? Don't discriminate based on orientation either way.

Hope they can turn this show around.

It is absolutely not the same as that at all. At least on the cis male part. Representation is important and casting a queer actor as a queer character is already so under represented its unreal.
People are valid in giving a shit about what an actor identies as in instances of casting minority roles such as this, the fact that you're equating changing a historically cis het white role being available to others with this is frankly absurd.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It is absolutely not the same as that at all. At least on the cis male part. Representation is important and casting a queer actor as a queer character is already so under represented its unreal.
People are valid in giving a shit about what an actor identies as in instances of casting minority roles such as this, the fact that you're equating changing a historically cis het white role being available to others with this is frankly absurd.
Representation is important, the sexuality of an actor should not be.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Seeing a queer woman play a queer super hero on Batwoman has been deeply important to me. It adds another layer to the feeling of seeing a major hero on the screen that is like me.

Maybe it shouldn't have to be important but it is.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Representation is important, the sexuality of an actor should not be.

Sexuality is still representation. Gay actors regularly have to choose between playing stereotypes or straight characters if they want to get work at all.

Letting a gay woman play a gay character should not at all be a problem, I don't know why it's such a sticking point for people.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sexuality is still representation. Gay actors regularly have to choose between playing stereotypes or straight characters if they want to get work at all.

Letting a gay woman play a gay character should not at all be a problem, I don't know why it's such a sticking point for people.
Thats why I said "the sexuality of an actor should not be [important]". Irl gay men should be cast without restriction for gay/cis... roles.

Its not a problem, never said that. Excluding cis women for a part as Batwomen based on their sexuality is.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Recasting a lead character is a big enough headache as it is, narrowing it down to just LGBTQ actors is noble move but it's going to make things more difficult than it needs to be. If an actress comes along with acting talent, fight scene experience, can pass as a twin sister for Alice and is Jewish, which even Ruby wasn't, are they seriously not even going to consider them?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Thats why I said "the sexuality of an actor should not be [important]". Its not a problem, never said that. Excluding cis women for a part as Batwomen based on their sexuality is.

There are a lot of gay actresses in the world who would be able to do a really good job with this part, so it doesn't make sense to audition a bunch of straight women at the expense of casting a performer who's part of the same marginalized group as the character.

Also, note: "cis" means "identifying as the gender one was assigned at birth". Not really relevant to this discussion.

Recasting a lead character is a big enough headache as it is, narrowing it down to just LGBTQ actors is noble move but it's going to make things more difficult than it needs to be. If an actress comes along with acting talent, fight scene experience, can pass as a twin sister for Alice and is Jewish, which even Ruby wasn't, are they seriously not even going to consider them?

There are a lot of LGBTQ actors who aren't getting work who would be overjoyed to get a CW TV lead contract. The CW will find someone. This really doesn't need to be a concern on anyone's mind - CW's casting has a pretty damn wide reach.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
People want to feel represented, particularly when they don't see/hear people like themselves on screen. I understand folks wanting this.
Why do people think they have the right to know what a actor in private identities as or what their sexual orientation is? Its non of their business.

It should not matter either way.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
So w\ default to white and straight cause it is easy? Or maybe it's easy because everyone defaults and don't even try to look for actors out side a narrow scope?

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What about in public
I don't know where you going with this.

Whats the application form locking like for the role for Batwomen:
"please put a cross here:
[ ] gay
[ ] not gay"

This wouldn't fly on an application form for McDonald but somehow its okay here because.. reasons? Women have it hard as is in Hollywood, POC have it even harder, now they need to have a specific orientation to get jobs too? Damn.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017

[ ] gay
[ ] not gay"

This wouldn't fly on an application form for McDonald but somehow its okay here because.. reasons? Women have it hard as is in Hollywood, POC have it even harder, now they need to have a specific orientation to get jobs too? Damn.
You cannot possibly be serious right now lol

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

[ ] gay
[ ] not gay"

What are we talking about now? How does ethnicity factor into the equation? Like, Kate is a white woman, that's kinda set in stone by all the members of her biological family that we already know. As far as recasting goes, yes, the actress playing Kate in January will be a white woman.

Sexual identity is important. Yes, a gay actor can play straight characters and a straight actor can play gay characters. I've played gay characters plenty of times on stage in minor productions. But as far as things go, for a major television program on a major TV network, it's called being considerate of your audience to cast an actor or actress that's part of a marginalized group to play a character that's part of the same marginalized group. It allows people of that marginalized group to feel represented on screen and it gives jobs to performers that otherwise might not get them because "straight + white" is the default for a lot of people as far as acting is concerned.

Kate Kane is a gay white woman. That's kind of set in stone by season 1 and the rest of the cast, including her biological twin sister and father. So that's the kind of actress they're going to look for.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I cannot believe it actually has to be explained why it'd be bad optics to cast a straight actress lol
All that happened was CW replaced well known LGBT actress with straight actress because she was uppity to play one of the few lgbt superheroes

In fact only gay superhero to be the protagonist of the story and their own show

I can smell the headlines and think pieces

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

[ ] gay
[ ] not gay"

If they want to represent themselves publicly, as people may be wont to do in the industry for brand and general pride/furthering the movement purposes I don't really see the issue.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
I cannot believe it actually has to be explained why it'd be bad optics to cast a straight actress lol
It isn't in the sense that as actors they should have the skill to inhabit a role.

The problem is that performers that good like any other profession isn't common. It is much easier to cast someone who has lived an experience similar to the character portrayed.

I think the only room for open casting involves a very alien society relative to modern or historical settings.

For example, One Piece, Star Wars or Warhammer are settings you can play fast and loose with casting because they exist in a world far too different from our own.

Settings that draw directly from our society like Pern or subvert our world in a clear specific way like the Flintstones should be stricter in their casting decisions.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Women have it hard as is in Hollywood, POC have it even harder, now they need to have a specific orientation to get jobs too? Damn.

Disingenuous as fuck

All that happened was CW replaced well known LGBT actress with straight actress because she was uppity to play one of the few lgbt superheroes

In fact only gay superhero to be the protagonist of the story and their own show

I can smell the headlines and think pieces

It's absurd. It'd already be one thing if said straight actress was cast from the beginning. But wanting to replace an LGBT actress with a straight one? Bold move...

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
CW as a whole has tried to do a lot for representation within their DC shows. They have a trans superhero played by an trans actress, gay superheroes and supervillains played by gay actors/actresses, many minority heroes (including an overwhelmingly minority cast show), female led shows/superhero teams, etc.

The CW casting team definitely try to be as inclusive in their casting decisions as they can. I fully expect that they will replace their LGBT+ woman lead for an LGBT+ woman character's show with another woman from the LGBT+ community, and it's absolutely an important thing that they do so.

Remember how Black Panther and Crazy Rich Asians are some of the biggest movies for their communities, partly because of the fact that there's finally significant representation for their community? This is absolutely an important thing to represent marginalized groups with actors and actresses from that same community. It definitely matters.

Spidey

Oct 25, 2017
UK
So w\ default to white and straight cause it is easy? Or maybe it's easy because everyone defaults and don't even try to look for actors out side a narrow scope?

What I'm saying is the opposite of narrowing the scope, I want as big a field as possible for this casting. I was literally just watching something on Grant Guston's casting earlier today and they talked about how Grant was younger than they envisioned, not as big, wrong hair colour. Now imagine before the casting of Flash, Greg Berlati had tried to reassure fans by saying "he'll be thirtysomething like the comics, great body and blonde", suddenly the best lead casting in the Arrowverse never happens. And before anyone says anything, I know that's not a like for like comparison, blonde hair and LGBTQ representation aren't the same thing, that's just an example of an acting pool being narrowed by certain requirements.

Also I touched on the Jewish thing before, there was actually blowback about Ruby's casting considering Kate Kane is one of the few Jewish superheroes. Are we just going to ignore certain representation whilst having a hard line on LGBTQ representation?

Anyway, hopefully they find someone who's great who hits all the important points including being LGBTQ. I'm just saying they've made it more difficult, which they have have, you add requirements to a role and casting will inevitably be harder, I don't think anyone can argue that.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
What I'm saying is the opposite of narrowing the scope, I want as big a field as possible for this casting. I was literally just watching something on Grant Guston's casting earlier today and they talked about how Grant was younger than they envisioned, not as big, wrong hair colour. Now imagine before the casting of Flash, Greg Berlati had tried to reassure fans by saying "he'll be thirtysomething like the comics, great body and blonde", suddenly the best lead casting in the Arrowverse never happens. And before anyone says anything, I know that's not a like for like comparison, blonde hair and LGBTQ representation aren't the same thing, that's just an example of an acting pool being narrowed by certain requirements.

Also I touched on the Jewish thing before, there was actually blowback about Ruby's casting considering Kate Kane is one of the few Jewish superheroes. Are we just going to ignore certain representation whilst having a hard line on LGBTQ representation?

Anyway, hopefully they find someone who's great who hits all the important points including being LGBTQ. I'm just saying they've made is more difficult, which they have have, you add requirements to a role and casting will inevitably be harder, I don't think anyone can argue that.

This entire argument is nonsensical.

LGBTQ women are not an endangered species.

Deleted member 31104

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

In general I don't think people have an issue, comicbook live action casting is always a minefield, because people have far more clearly defined ideas of what the character IS and always seem bizarrely fixated on how they look compared to the comic rather than the qualities of the actor cast.

I suppose some people would argue that good casting for a comic book role is difficult enough without putting a filter of sexuality over it. I don't really buy it. They'd never say the same thing the character deviated from their perceived look due to say race: see Titans and Starfire.

I am torn though between the idea that you should just aim to get the best actor for the role and the idea that you should aim for representation. I think the latter is really nice to have and can lend something to the role (Ruby Rose worked as the character despite quite a limited acting range) but by and large if I was a producer I can't help but think I'd get more right by going for the former.

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
www.themarysue.com

Ruby Rose Exits 'Batwoman.' Let's Dream Cast Her Replacement | The Mary Sue

In a shocking turn, Ruby Rose has left Batwoman after one season. Who should replace her?

Natasha Negovanlis
Stephanie Beatriz.
Evan Rachel Wood
Rachel Skarsten
Samira Wiley
evan rachel wood is so perfect for the role, but she's too big of an actress at this point I think. I really think she's gonna get some big hollywood roles in the next few years thanks to westworld.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I'm mean even if we go with the argument that sexual orientation shouldn't matter regarding roles (which I personally disagree with especially in regards to gay representation), it still makes for better casting to pick a gay woman to play a gay character. In particular regarding chemistry and romantic scenes. I'm sure the best actors can act their way through it but it seems more problematic if a lesbian relationship becomes a staple of the show.