• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Newlove

Oct 28, 2017
England
I first tasted this as a Magnum ice cream flavour as the packaging looked rather intriguing so we thought we'd give it a go. It has quite a sweet taste but not too sweet, somewhat of a fruity flavour to it. We quite enjoyed it so looking further into it, I found it is being marketed as a new kind to join the typical family of milk, dark, white.

0_magnumJPG.jpg

Wiki Description:
Ruby chocolate is a variety of chocolate introduced in 2017 by Barry Callebaut, a Belgian–Swiss cocoa company. The variety has been in development since 2004. It was unveiled at a private event in Shanghai on 5 September 2017. It is marketed as the "fourth" type of chocolate alongside dark, milk and white chocolate varieties. More reading

jan-2020-ruby_hot_choc-M27873-696x512.jpg

I've now seen it show up as a hot chocolate type in Costa Coffee (above), which is really tasty, as a KitKat flavour which works nicely as well. Anyway, have you guys heard of it? Tried it? What do you think?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
My Sprouts has it from Chocolove.
Tastes great, but it's only 34%.

Are there any readily available brands that offer more pure chocolate?

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
The chocolate's taste is described as "sweet yet sour",[9] with "little to none" of the cocoa flavour traditionally associated with other varieties of chocolate.[10] Kennedy's Confection magazine editor Angus Kennedy disputes that ruby chocolate is a new fourth variety and stated that it is possible to recreate its taste by combining white chocolate, raspberries and milk chocolate in the mouth.[11]

With the production methods being kept a trade secret, publications note industry speculation that ruby chocolate is made with unfermented cocoa beans of Brazil Lavados, which can have a natural red-pinkish colour.[10][8][12] The company also registered a patent in 2009 for "cocoa-derived material" from unfermented cocoa beans (or beans fermented for no more than three days) that become red or purple after treating them with an acid (citric acid) and then defatting with petroleum ether.[13][8] The cocoa content in the product is lower than milk chocolate and the citric acid addition gives the slight sour taste to the product.

Doesn't sound especially good or interesting. I'm also not a fan of ingesting something that's a 'trade secret' and that as an ingredient will only be listed as "ruby chocolate" on the wrapper.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Being highly allergic to raspberries doesn't give me much confidence in trying this in random products as I can only imagine a few will actually include raspberries to further 'enhance' the flavor.

I might give it a go when I can get it in 'pure' baking form though.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
it's weird.
it's hard to tell how much of the taste is psychosomatic (i.e. the expectation that it'll taste like Pink makes your brain think it tastes like that) but it seems at least like a more acidic and less sweet/bitter thing than normal chocolates

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like it. As soon as KitKat got the flavor I have tried it. Since then we have tried it in several dishes and the flavor was always pretty good.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Would be interested to try it, but it looks like dairy-free ruby chocolate doesn't exist and may not really be feasible.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had it. It was OK. Tasted flavored tbh

my new jam tho is dark chocolate covered cherries - they don't taste the same as ruby chocolate but they're in that ballpark