• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
you need to disable or uninstall those programs that are eating the vram while you play. You dont need the lghub.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I see, I did have it wrong.

So I dug a little deeper, and you're absolutely right:

xJsqOfc.png

G Hub I can understand, bloatware from Logitech... but the Desktop Windows Manager using over a gig?? Is that normal?

Seems high. dwm.exe is using 650mb for me. 560mb after closing Firefox and Discord. 460 without Steam but that one is kind of important.

Clean up your background apps and processes people.

OP
OP
zombipuppy

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
You need to update your MSI Afterburner / RTSS Combo, you have a version thats over a year out of date if you dont have that option. Memory usage is DD4 not GPU VRAM

I am on the latest beta of RTSS and latest version of MSI Afterburner, I reinstalled both yesterday. Am I not seeing the "GPU" prefix because I only have one GPU (no integrated or secondary cards)?

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I see, I did have it wrong. But I don't see a GPU Memory Usage option, just regular Memory Usage.

So I dug a little deeper, and you're absolutely right:

xJsqOfc.png

G Hub I can understand, bloatware from Logitech... but the Desktop Windows Manager using over a gig?? Is that normal?
The usage for that will go up if you have any Remote Desktop stuff running, screen mirroring or virtual display devices doing things.
Likewise multi screen setups that have to render multiple windows etc will all pump useage for DWM up

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
LOL running out of vram does not cause rainbow artifacts. More like having overclocked your memory too high.
Okay.

I haven't overclocked my memory at all, and the artifacts coincided with the VRAM warning - and went away once I stopped pushing it - hence my concluding they're somehow related.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay.

I haven't overclocked my memory at all, and the artifacts coincided with the VRAM warning - and went away once I stopped pushing it - hence my concluding they're somehow related.

Artifacting in my experience has always been related to bad overclocks or damaged GPU.

OP
OP
zombipuppy

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
scroll to the bottom of the list, its in there somewhere.

I think it would only be there for multi-GPU machines, I've seen that before on different PCs. Mine only has one GPU, so no prefix for that option. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't have "GPU1 memory usage" or "GPU memory usage / process" anywhere on that list.

Akronis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting--I haven't noticed them in any other game, and they went away in Forza once I turned the MSAA down. Think I should get in touch with my GPU manufacturer?

If it's not happening in other games, I'd probably say you're fine. It could just be a specific bug with Forza or the drivers.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
I think it would only be there for multi-GPU machines, I've seen that before on different PCs. Mine only has one GPU, so no prefix for that option. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't have "GPU1 memory usage" or "GPU memory usage / process" anywhere on that list.
Sorry see my post directly above, its because you have a version that is 9 months old.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh god damnit, not this again. Why are internet nerds so insecure about their expensive purchases and have to religiously defend their choice and corporations. I have 3080 and have no problem admitting that, YES, 10GB VRAM is a limitation and a hindrance, which shouldn't be on such a costly card.

It's hilarious seeing the same names here still defending 10GB when the list of games where people get VRAM errors or get stuttering is increasing every month.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
Oh god damnit, not this again. Why are internet nerds so insecure about their expensive purchases and have to religiously defend their choice and corporations. I have 3080 and have no problem admitting that, YES, 10GB VRAM is a limitation and a hindrance, which shouldn't be on such a costly card.

It's hilarious seeing the same names here still defending 10GB when the list of games where people get VRAM errors or get stuttering is increasing every month.
Calm down dude. When people/sites were saying "8GB is more than enough" for cards like 3070 I was rolling my eyes as I fully expected it would be a limitation, but most people here are simply saying they aren't getting these warnings on the same hardware.

OP
OP
zombipuppy

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry see my post directly above, its because you have a version that is 9 months old.

Just updated both MSI Afterburner and RTSS to the absolute latest versions (made doubly sure this time, thanks guys!) and still no other option than regular old "Memory usage". All good, I won't beat this point to death, I think the real issue is outside this monitoring tool.

I think the main concern for me was that SOMETHING (DWM.exe and G Hub) was eating a ton of my VRAM. I'll have to shut G Hub down before I play texture heavy games like Forza. DWM inflating and eating more VRAM over time might be a Windows 11 thing, who knows. I'll just have to restart my PC more frequently.

Thanks all for your input and assistance!

Oct 28, 2017

... And here's everyone's favourite truther, let no data, fact or evidence stand in their way!

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017

Considering the fact that those names were called upon by way of mention of their threads etc, it's not. Even more so when the root of the problem has now been resolved and had nothing to do with the 10GB memory not being enough.

I'm not sure if you see the irony in your post when you wrote it as you are one of "the same people" as well, just from the other end. I was already expecting a post from you here talking about this very thing, ignoring the rest of the thread and you did not disappoint :P

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
... And here's everyone's favourite truther, let no data, fact or evidence stand in their way!
Evidence is people reporting running out of VRAM or are you calling them liars? Evidence is multiple tech reviewers benchmark latest games and show 3080 frequently going close to 10GB limit. Evidence is Nvidia refreshing RTX3080 card with more VRAM. Evidence is you can't comfortably run games like FC6 with texutre pack. What else do you need? This feels like you are just bullying and stalking me, which is creepy to say the least. I'll have to report you if you keep doing this.
Considering the fact that those names were called upon by way of mention of their threads etc, it's not. Even more so when the root of the problem has now been resolved and had nothing to do with the 10GB memory not being enough.

I'm not sure if you see the irony in your post when you wrote it as you are one of "the same people" as well, just from the other end. I was already expecting a post from you here talking about this very thing, ignoring the rest of the thread and you did not disappoint :P
What was solved? OP was advised to install newer afterburner and reboot their PC? Great.. doesn't fix the underlying problem. It's just a band-aid until VRAM fills up again.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
Just updated both MSI Afterburner and RTSS to the absolute latest versions (made doubly sure this time, thanks guys!) and still no other option than regular old "Memory usage". All good, I won't beat this point to death, I think the real issue is outside this monitoring tool.

I think the main concern for me was that SOMETHING (DWM.exe and G Hub) was eating a ton of my VRAM. I'll have to shut G Hub down before I play texture heavy games like Forza. DWM inflating and eating more VRAM over time might be a Windows 11 thing, who knows. I'll just have to restart my PC more frequently.

Thanks all for your input and assistance!
Glad to hear :) If you have a different option called RAM usage, then yes i would say the memory usage / process is the correct one, and you have it checked now so that is great to see! Let me know if you run into the issue anymore after a nice clean restart and all your VRAM is freed back up :)

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Oh god damnit, not this again. Why are internet nerds so insecure about their expensive purchases and have to religiously defend their choice and corporations.

This feels like you are just bullying and stalking me, which is creepy to say the least. I'll have to report you if you keep doing this.

Now that's what I call a lack of self-awareness.

Oct 28, 2017
Evidence is people reporting running out of VRAM or are you calling them liars? Evidence is multiple tech reviewers benchmark latest games and show 3080 frequently going close to 10GB limit. Evidence is Nvidia refreshing RTX3080 card with more VRAM. Evidence is you can't comfortably run games like FC6 with texutre pack. What else do you need? This feels like you are just bullying and stalking me, which is creepy to say the least. I'll have to report you if you keep doing this.

What was solved? OP was advised to install newer afterburner and reboot their PC? Great.. doesn't fix the underlying problem. It's just a band-aid until VRAM fills up again.

Get lost with that stalker bullshit, you're the one who wandered into this thread peddling your usual garbage. If anything I should report you for bad faith arguing and trolling.

Seriously your evidence is a few people in this thread saying they're hitting limits, and then others troubleshooting why that is (nothing to do with the game), as well as countless others saying they've had no VRAM issues with 3080s.

Your evidence is 'tech reviewers' saying we're getting close to VRAM limits (not going over them I notice), when it's likely they're using allocation as has been covered many times before.

Your evidence is an unsubstantiated rumour.

Your evidence is something in FC6 I fucking called out earlier in this thread - that someone, most likely you, would try and pass an issue that occurs even on a 24 GB card onto the 3080. It's just so damn predictable.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Concern Trolling and Hostility Over Multiple Posts; History of the Same
Get lost with that stalker bullshit, you're the one who wandered into this thread peddling your usual garbage. If anything I should report you for bad faith arguing and trolling.

Seriously your evidence is a few people in this thread saying they're hitting limits, and then others troubleshooting why that is (nothing to do with the game), as well as countless others saying they've had no VRAM issues with 3080s.

Your evidence is 'tech reviewers' saying we're getting close to VRAM limits (not going over them I notice), when it's likely they're using allocation as has been covered many times before.

Your evidence is an unsubstantiated rumour.

Your evidence is something in FC6 I fucking called out earlier in this thread - that someone, most likely you, would try and pass an issue that occurs even on a 24 GB card onto the 3080. It's just so damn predictable.
And what was your great contribution in this thread?
Nope, that's not it. Haven't had a single VRAM issue with FH5 on Extreme settings, and never gotten the pop-up once.
"I don't have problems so means no one else does"
Don't worry, I'm sure someone's teeing up the issues Far Cry 6 has with texture allocation as a 3080 VRAM issue right now as well.
You never even intended to have any normal discussion in this thread. You wandered in here to stir up and bait people who don't agree with your opinion and now act high and mighty.

----

What is wrong with this place sometimes, like you do realize that all I did was argue that video card doesn't have enough memory? A frigging video card... Geeez.

OP
OP
zombipuppy

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to hear :) If you have a different option called RAM usage, then yes i would say the memory usage / process is the correct one, and you have it checked now so that is great to see! Let me know if you run into the issue anymore after a nice clean restart and all your VRAM is freed back up :)

Clean restart shows the two Memory usage figures properly now! DWM VRAM usage is now a third of what I first saw, and I've also quit out of G Hub, and tweaked some Wallpaper Engine settings so that it stops entirely and frees up about 130MB extra of VRAM when I'm playing a fullscreen game.

Just tried Deathloop again, and now it shows I have 9.3GB of available VRAM! No warning message! Halo Infinite just ran for 3 matches straight at Ultra textures as well with no sudden drop in FPS! PRAISE BE!

Thanks again all!

Edit: also quitting out of Chrome frees more VRAM. So much shit eats VRAM!!!

Oct 28, 2017

You never even intended to have any normal discussion in this thread. You wandered in here to stir up and bait people who don't agree with your opinion and now act high and mighty.

----

What is wrong with this place sometimes, like you do realize that all I did was argue that video card doesn't have enough memory? A frigging video card... Geeez.

My contribution to this thread was the same as 95% of the others in this thread - clarifying that there aren't any VRAM issues in FH5, among other games.

Hey look just now, it turns out the OP was having an issue unrelated to the game causing the VRAM problem! Isn't that weird! Who would have thought, huh?

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My contribution to this thread was the same as 95% of the others in this thread - clarifying that there aren't any VRAM issues in FH5, among other games.

Hey look just now, it turns out the OP was having an issue unrelated to the game causing the VRAM problem! Isn't that weird! Who would have thought, huh?
The fact that OP has to monitor VRAM and close background tasks and reboot and continue to monitor VRAM kind of means GPU doesn't have enough of it... not sure in how many different ways I can explain this. All this is just prolonging the inevitable, when VRAM usage in games is edging to the limit.

Hokey

Oct 29, 2017
I agree cards need more VRAM but some basic PC maintenance can cut down and sometimes eliminate a lot of issues:
  • Keep ALL programs out of startup.
  • Regularly clear caches on apps and browsers.
  • Regularly restart PC, especially if switching between intensive APPS, like games or design. If you have OS on NVMe it should only take 10-15secs.
  • Uninstall any unwanted APPS.
  • Keep registry clean.
  • Update GPU drivers.
  • Try not to have any other programs open when playing games unless absolutely necessary like Discord or Mods etc.
I've been using a program called CCleaner since the early 2000s but I'm sure there are others.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
Clean restart shows the two Memory usage figures properly now! DWM VRAM usage is now a third of what I first saw, and I've also quit out of G Hub, and tweaked some Wallpaper Engine settings so that it stops entirely and frees up about 130MB extra of VRAM when I'm playing a fullscreen game.

Just tried Deathloop again, and now it shows I have 9.3GB of available VRAM! No warning message! Halo Infinite just ran for 3 matches straight at Ultra textures as well with no sudden drop in FPS! PRAISE BE!

Thanks again all!

Big reason I use Edge over Chrome these days.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017

----

maybe chill out?

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018

Thanks again all!

Glad you were able to solve your issue. No matter how much RAM/VRAM I have I always try to close as many programs as possible so there is little interference.

Steam/EA clients themselves can take up around 400mb each so it all adds up.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
The only two games so far which are hitting 10GB VRAM limit in 4K are Deathloop (which does some weird shit with memory allocation on level loads which eventually lead to oversubscription and stutters) and Far Cry 6 (which does it with a carefully engineered high res texture pack aimed at this specific outcome).

I dunno what "list" of games is "increasing every month". Two games is a list I guess. And the issue in both is easily solvable by lowering texture quality (which in both cases aren't exactly very noticeable to the eye IMO). For anyone who's ready to trade this for the lack of DLSS and slow RT or pay about twice as much for 3090 - god speed.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017

??
Pf63pWt.png

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Edit: in case anyone is also experiencing what I did, check your GPU VRAM usage in task manager. Chances are you have background apps eating a ton of it, taking away its availability for VRAM hungry games. My main culprits are Logitech G Hub (which I've since stopped using and just use onboard memory for color profiles), and DWM.exe i.e. Desktop Window Manager, a program needed by the Windows OS. It creeps up in VRAM usage slowly over time, so make sure you restart your PC often. I have no yet found a way to keep it down without restarting.
So to use Logitech gaming peripherals with full support while gaming in 4K, one needs a 3090 instead of a 3080.

There is zero reason why Logitech's mice, mousepads and other peripherals should eat up such a significant amount of fucking VRAM. What a joke.

Akronis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So to use Logitech gaming peripherals with full support while gaming in 4K, one needs a 3090 instead of a 3080.

There is zero reason why Logitech's mice, mousepads and other peripherals should eat up such a significant amount of fucking VRAM. What a joke.

all software from every peripheral company sucks massively

I have literally never had a good experience with any software for mice/keyboards except wootility and that doesn't need to be open to save any settings.