• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Quick question, I have a 1080ti and a 1000w Platinum PSU.

Does the 3080 require 3 12 pin or is that 3090 only?

Do they come with 3 pin adapters or something? How am I supposed to use them? I'm currently using 2 12 pin for the 1080ti. If they do come with adapters, is it only the FE version?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
yes 100mhz is nothing. They were pushing 2050mhz in gamers nexus review at 375w limit, which is 300+?
That's not really what it is though. The boost clock rating is always about 150-200MHz lower than what the card actually runs at while gaming. So the stock cards at 1715MHz will operate at 1850-1900 by default with no OC. The high end factory OC cards that come with a boost clock of 1825 MHz will operate at 1900-2050MHz by default.

What I'm wondering is if I can OC a stock 2xPin card to a boos clock of 1825, thereby allowing a real world clock of ¬2000MHz. But it seems like I can do that indeed. I don't really plan on pushing it beyond that as then I'm just wasting a ton of energy as I suppose ¬2000MHz is where the card starts to become inefficient and requires a lot more power for little gains.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
That's not really what it is though. The boost clock rating is always about 150-200MHz lower than what the card actually runs at while gaming. So the stock cards at 1715MHz will operate at 1850-1900. The high end OC cards with a boost clock of 1825 MHz will operate at 1900-2050MHz.

What I'm wondering is if I can OC a stock 2xPin card to a boos clock of 1825, thereby allowing a real world clock of ¬2000MHz.
yeah sry to waste your time please read my edit

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
Good luck guys and gals.

I was going to order one today but I am putting a bid in for a house today instead, the card can wait for it's new home.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
yeah sry to waste your time please read my edit
So it is indeed possible to OC a 2xpin card to the same level as the factory OC of the 3x8 pin models. Well that's enough for me I guess, pushing anything beyond that is probably going to require a lot more power for a lot less gain which isn't really something I wanna do.

Darktalon

Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
So it is indeed possible to OC a 2xpin card to the same level as the factory OC of the 3x8 pin models.

Well that's enough for me I guess, pushing anything beyond that is probably going to require a lot more power for a lot less gain which isn't really something I wanna do.
yes, thats why i think buying cards for factory OC is silly, it takes 10 seconds in msi afterburner to surpass that with no downsides

Avalt

Nov 3, 2017
The early MSI Ventus order on amazon.ca was still not cancelled, so hopefully I'll get one eventually. I will also be keeping an eye out for a MSI Gaming Trio or an EVGA FTW3 in case I get lucky.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Welp, amazon changed my delivery date from today to unknown... the dream is dead, i have a meeting during the launch window.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
yes, thats why i think buying cards for factory OC is silly, it takes 10 seconds in msi afterburner to surpass that with no downsides
I actually meant, that the 2x8 pin is able to push as far as 3x8pin comes in factory OC. Which shouldn't really be surprising tbh. It's more that the 3x8 pin can go further, how efficiently though that remains to be seen. But yea all factory OC does is that ensures that that chip is stable that that clock speed.

EDIT: I can see that for £750 I can either get the MSI Gaming X Trio for, which is the 3x8 pin MSI model. Or for £720 the EVGA XC3 which is the 2x8 pin model. In this situation which one would you think is a better choice?

fade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually meant, that the 2x8 pin is able to push as far as 3x8pin comes in factory OC. Which shouldn't really be surprising tbh. It's more that the 3x8 pin can go further, how efficiently though that remains to be seen. But yea all factory OC does is that ensures that that chip is stable that that clock speed.

EDIT: I can see that for £750 I can either get the MSI Gaming X Trio for, which is the 2x8 pin MSI model. Or for £720 the EVGA XC3 which is the 2x8 pin model. In this situation which one would you think is a better choice?

Trio is 3x8 pin

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Didn't sleep great but the buzz from the 3080/Ps5 is carrying me through the gym haha

Schnitzelfee

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Chairmanchuck

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, 10G-P5-3885-KR: Amazon.de: Computer & Zubehör

EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming, 10G-P5-3885-KR, 10GB GDDR6X, iCX3 Cooling, ARGB LED, Metal Backplate - Kostenloser Versand ab 29€. Jetzt bei Amazon.de bestellen!

aua6SkM.png

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even seeing the cards on Amazon.ca

Between that and trying to buy the new iPad coming out tomorrow, Amazon has been weirdly terrible at giving me any kind of good results.

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry yea I meant 3x8 pin.
My question was basically the 2 pin EVGA model and the 3 pin MSI model only have a £30 difference, and in that case if I should go for the 3 pin MSI model.

If you're from the UK, then definitely the MSI (unless it's shit, but we'll have to wait for the reviews for that). As great as the EVGA warranty is in the US, it's a pain in the arse in the UK as they have no presence in the country any more, so in order to do a warranty return, you have to ship it (at your own expense) to Germany. And I can only imagine it's going to be even more of a hassle post-Brexit.

alienups

Oct 31, 2017
Is there a list somewhere which AIB cards require a 2 or a 3x8 pin ? I can fit in a 3x8 one but it's pretty awkward.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
If you're from the UK, then definitely the MSI (unless it's shit, but we'll have to wait for the reviews for that). As great as the EVGA warranty is in the US, it's a pain in the arse in the UK as they have no presence in the country any more, so in order to do a warranty return, you have to ship it (at your own expense) to Germany. And I can only imagine it's going to be even more of a hassle post-Brexit.
Well as far as I know we don't really have to worry about that as all the warranty and customer service goes through the shops in UK.

Alexalder

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
You don't really care about manufacturer warranty in europe, you chat amazon and they send you a new one in 24h

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Is there a list somewhere which AIB cards require a 2 or a 3x8 pin ? I can fit in a 3x8 one but it's pretty awkward.
Looking at the ones on Newegg, I haven't seen 1 that has 3x8. Newegg has images of quite a few of the AIB cards, so you can get an idea.

EDIT: Looks like the eVGA FTW3 cards might require 3. Also maybe the ASUS ROG STRIX model. I imagine only the highest factory OC models would even bother.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
When can I preorder the FE edition on Nvidias website in the U.K. and will it get sold out? Are they even expected to get more in or restock them afterwards if it does or is it some one time limited edition?

I don't care for the FE much I just want the adapter it comes with so I can connect it easily to my PSU rather than faffing about trying to figure out what pins i need or cables with another edition of the card, as they don't come with the adapter apparently only the FE does.

Revan Ren

Jan 11, 2018
I went into the Best Buy in Baton Rouge yesterday morning to ask about stock numbers, and the rep said all their 3080s had been pre-ordered.

Schnitzelfee

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
When can I preorder the FE edition on Nvidias website in the U.K. and will it get sold out? Are they even expected to get more in or restock them afterwards if it does or is it some one time limited edition?

I don't care for the FE much I just want the adapter it comes with so I can connect it easily to my PSU rather than faffing about trying to figure out what pins i need or cables with another edition of the card, as they don't come with the adapter apparently only the FE does.

The other cards dont come with the adapter cause they dont need one, they use the standard 8 pin PCIE connectors

so you dont need any special cables, just the ones your PSU already has