• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
So as I understand it, this is slightly less powerful than a 3070 right?
Is this a noticeable difference? I'm mainly interested in maintaining 1080p 60fps and high settings for the next few years
I do also play VR through Virtual Desktop on the Quest, so if theres a big difference VR-wise between the cards that would be good to know too

CGriffiths86

Oct 28, 2017
So as I understand it, this is slightly less powerful than a 3070 right?
Is this a noticeable difference? I'm mainly interested in maintaining 1080p 60fps and high settings for the next few years
I do also play VR through Virtual Desktop on the Quest, so if theres a big difference VR-wise between the cards that would be good to know too
From benchmarks I've seen it averages around 10% weaker than a 3070. So realistically you could prob overclock it to 3070 speeds and save $100. I ordered one of these earlier and also use Virtual Desktop if that gives you any indication of how comfortable I feel about it.

Oct 25, 2017
Got a Discord notif at 7:02 (too late probably anyway), didn't check my phone until 7:05, and the bot stream I have in the bg doesn't ding for Newegg or combos so me not hearing about the drop really boned me.

For future reference, if you don't open one or more pieces of a combo, you can return it for a full refund (minus the combo discount) and keep the other pieces. I think Newegg even covers return shipping, so if you're okay with losing $50-150 for like 2 or 3 weeks then you may as well take a combo when you see it.

toastyToast

Oct 26, 2017
What a mess this 3000 series launch was in Australia. Can't believe the type of pricing retailers are trying to pull off. I ended up paying a bit over RRP for a 3070 (which is $809 for stock models) a week ago which I wasn't entirely happy about but whatever. Now these 3060 Ti models are going from between $700 to more than what I paid for my 3070 lol. No one is even attempting to sell at the RRP. Straight to "scarce" pricing.

Antiwhippy

Oct 25, 2017
What a mess this 3000 series launch was in Australia. Can't believe the type of pricing retailers are trying to pull off. I ended up paying a bit over RRP for a 3070 (which is $809 for stock models) a week ago which I wasn't entirely happy about but whatever. Now these 3060 Ti models are going from between $700 to more than what I paid for my 3070 lol. No one is even attempting to sell at the RRP. Straight to "scarce" pricing.

At least they still seem to be available, at least at scorptec.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth upgrading from 2070 Super to 3060Ti for 1440p gaming? I am not a fan of crazy high FPS or competitive gaming in general

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Is it worth upgrading from 2070 Super to 3060Ti for 1440p gaming? I am not a fan of crazy high FPS or competitive gaming in general

That doesnt really seem like it would be worth it for what you'd need to go through to get it. 3070 makes much more sense. Hell, if you can find a 3070 for msrp you can sell the 2070 super for most of the cost of a 3070.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Just about managed to grab one, thank fuck. My 970 can finally rest.

Waiting to see if payment will actually process, but I've nominally grabbed one too. Went for the Palit dual, with shipping it'll only be £30 above MSRP

Edit: Confirmed!

source.gif

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Any ITX variants out yet?

The Zotac ones are still too big for my usecase.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Waiting to see if payment will actually process, but I've nominally grabbed one too. Went for the Palit dual, with shipping it'll only be £30 above MSRP
I went for the same one, and it looks like my payment's processed. I checked the Overclockers forums, and according to an employee there, they'll be able to fulfil every order that came in with their current stock, so I think you should be fine.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
I went for the same one, and it looks like my payment's processed. I checked the Overclockers forums, and according to an employee there, they'll be able to fulfil every order that came in with their current stock, so I think you should be fine.

Phew. Glad you managed to get one too.

But yeah, while I'm upgrading from a 1070 now, my first card was a Palit GTX 970, so this is a bit of a return home for me

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sitting here with my 1060.

I have been debating upgrading, my initial thoughts were to go for a 3070 as I felt it was a large increase for a relatively low price compared to what I currently have. I don't really care about 4K, heck I'm still at 1080p, planning on maybe only going up to 1440p sometime soon.

Would it maybe be better to go for a 3060ti instead though? It's only $100 savings, so maybe not.

Decisions, decisions.

Eternia

Oct 25, 2017

I have been debating upgrading, my initial thoughts were to go for a 3070 as I felt it was a large increase for a relatively low price compared to what I currently have. I don't really care about 4K, heck I'm still at 1080p, planning on maybe only going up to 1440p sometime soon.

Would it maybe be better to go for a 3060ti instead though? It's only $100 savings, so maybe not.

Decisions, decisions.
3070 is more performance if you want it but the 3060 Ti is definitely better value when the difference is $100. I suppose it depends on what you can actually find in stock and how much you care about the savings. Both are fine upgrades from a 1060.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017

Decisions, decisions.
The cheaper cards tend to go faster than the pricier ones, so you might have an easier time finding a 3070 (or even a 3080) when they start restocking them.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Gigabyte cards still "coming soon" on Best Buy. Has Gigabyte said anything about when their cards will be available or this just Best Buy being their usual fuckup selves?

Anim

Oct 29, 2017
Welp, turns out I didn't actually buy a card, but a promise of one. My online retailer had a listing yesterday at launch time that said the cards will be sent today. I paid for the card and thought I'll have it in my hands soon. Today in the morning I got an email from them that they don't have stock yet and cards will be sent as they get deliveries, but they can't tell when exactly that's gonna be. What a joke.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Welp, turns out I didn't actually buy a card, but a promise of one. My online retailer had a listing yesterday at launch time that said the cards will be sent today. I paid for the card and thought I'll have it in my hands soon. Today in the morning I got an email from them that they don't have stock yet and cards will be sent as they get deliveries, but they can't tell when exactly that's gonna be. What a joke.
I'd even settle for that at this point

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I mean do you actually need to upgrade? I have a 2070S and do care about high FPS competitive games and I don't have any issues.

If you're just running 1440p 60fps, I would assume the 2070S would do fine. I don't see a point in upgrading until you actually need to, and by then they'll be stock of everything available.

Oct 25, 2017
Jumping from one gen to the next, especially within the same price tier or down at all, is usually pretty worthless unless you are wealthy enough that you don't mind tossing a few hundred bucks a year on like 10-20 frame jumps.

Sabercrusader

Oct 27, 2017
3070 is more performance if you want it but the 3060 Ti is definitely better value when the difference is $100. I suppose it depends on what you can actually find in stock and how much you care about the savings. Both are fine upgrades from a 1060.
The cheaper cards tend to go faster than the pricier ones, so you might have an easier time finding a 3070 (or even a 3080) when they start restocking them.

Thank you for the information. To be honest, I wasn't likely going to make the upgrade until next year anyhow. I'm not exactly overflowing with funds, planning to get a PS5 before upgrading the PC, and also as long as my 1060 can play games at a relatively consistent 60 at like, medium settings, I'm mostly fine.

Oct 25, 2017
Just got a GIGABYTE Gaming OC Pro 3060Ti from Newegg now, 3070s and 3080s are dropping in less than 10 min, get ready!

scurker

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I wish Newegg wouldn't sell these in combos. I already have all the other components so don't want to buy stuff I don't need.