• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lazlow

Oct 27, 2017
I give up then, thought i'd try this one after missing out on the 3070 but I'll just wait until it's all readily available.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Memory Express has the Gigabyte Eagle for $530. (Out of stock, obviously. Dunno if it was ever in stock.)
my go-to was Canada Computers; they don`t get as much business, so you can actually see stuff there`;

Checked yesterday, and there`s even a few 3070s out there in stores in Ontario, :)

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
A few models flashed up as in stock for less than a minute on Currys. Managed to add one to my cart and attempted to check out at 14:01:30 and it wouldn't let me process the order.

Another paper launch it would seem.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
Phew. Got one from Currys in the UK.
Pretty much looked at each of the listings and camped out the one that had the lowest traffic. Which was a chunky looking PNY model. While others were reported by the site as getting thousands of clicks per hour, that one had about 300.

So, boop. Got it. Still kind of 50 quid off the list price of a 3070 but, whatever. VR and Control, here I come!

That was the same card I had in my cart. You must have beaten me to the punch by seconds.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
in hungary i can see the cheapest one (gainward ghost) going for 492 euros.

Not great.... not entirely terrible.

brain_stew

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't had any luck in the UK. I saw one at Currys for £450 but it was outside the budget for my cousin (who i am getting it for)

I have 10+ websites open, and not a single one of them has it in stock, this is insane

You probably wouldn't have been able to check out anyway. I had in my cart and checked out before 14:02 but it was already too late. The rest of them went on about 5 seconds flat.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I'm wasting time sitting here waiting for BestBuy to put stuff up when I could have high-tailed it to Microcenter to grab one in person. And of course, with how things go, BB will go up and sell out in seconds and Microcenter will be sold out.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't these cards go live? I saw one for sale on Newegg but when I clicked add to cart it gave m an error. I assumed everything was already sold out.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
anyone seen any stock on Overclockers UK yet? it's all still showing as 'coming soon' for me

Deleted member 2210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Seen this on Discord lmao

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Bestbuy US just....forgot? Or put in the wrong time for unlocking?

I don't think people who are farming out term "paper launch" know what it means... 🤔

In terms of a 'literal' paper launch, this certainly isn't one, no.

But when the product has been out for going on 3 months, and you're still unable to meet demand due to incredibly small supply, fab issues or not, it certainly starts to feel like one.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
In terms of a 'literal' paper launch, this certainly isn't one, no.

But when the product has been out for going on 3 months, and you're still unable to meet demand due to incredibly small supply, fab issues or not, it certainly starts to feel like one.

If we loosen use like that then AMD, NV, Sony and MS all just did paper launches through the H2 2020.

kafiend

Oct 25, 2017
So PayPal were a dick on checkout and now my wifes name and the address of a house we still own but haven't lived in for way over a decade found their way onto my order. This was despite me logging into my own account as I have never logged into my wifes PayPal. At least PayPal says it used my money rather than my wifes tryingtogetmemurdered-card

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
I think it is just high demand, 2000 series was bad so a lot of people skipped. And 1000 series was too soon after 970 which was very popular, new consoles coming out and Xmas means FOMO is really strong.

I don't really buy that. If you manually refreshed Newegg, for example, by the time something goes live, you'll get an "website down error". I find it borderline impossible any human can checkout between the time it goes live and the time the website crashes. I'm sure someone here will tell me they did, but it just seems like only a bot could purchase in that nanosecond window between no stock and the website crashing down.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I won't be mad if I don't get one today. I just want a chance. best buy, pls

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
If we loosen use like that then AMD, NV, Sony and MS all just did paper launches through the H2 2020.

....Yes, a lot of people HAVE been saying that, lol.

Less so in reference to consoles due to recency (and 'somewhat' less of a supply issue - hours versus seconds), but yes.

Scalpers certainly aren't helping, to be fair.

modestb

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I paid no attention to the console launches - the XSX took hours, how long was the PS5 up for?

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
You could buy Series X consoles all day when that launched. These cards went out of stock in under a minute. That's a big difference.
....Yes, a lot of people HAVE been saying that, lol.

Less so in reference to consoles due to recency (and 'somewhat' less of a supply issue - hours versus seconds), but yes.

Scalpers certainly aren't helping, to be fair.

And here is what easily happens when use of term is loosened to purely subjective perception.

To me as Finn current-gen consoles were sold out moooonths ago with zero stock availability before May-ish 2021, if even then. "Paper launch" to extreme.

GPUs from both camps have been total shitshow here too. 3060Ti is first time we have witnessed Ampere GPU that actually is in stock and not gone in seconds.

Bobbetybob

Nov 11, 2017
Eh, managed to add two to my basket on CCL when they went up, didn't buy them as I've got a 3070 and these were only like £30 cheaper than what I paid for that. Didn't seem as bad as the AMD launches, I didn't see a single one of those cards in stock at any point, at least with the 3060ti and 3070 I saw options to add to cart and stock showing on sites.

Some of the prices are stupid though, the Asus Strix OC is listed at £630?!