• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty damn close to the 3070 in Octane Render from what I'm seeing. Seems like this is your "buy 4 for the price of a 3090 and render in half the time if 8GB is enough for you" card, not the 3070.

yep, it's faster than a 2080 ti in blender as well. It's a great card for itx workstations or for those who don't feel like upgrading a psu at the moment.

Daxa

Jan 10, 2018
With how silly the market is, you could probably sell anything up to a used 1080ti/2070(?) and still make money buying this. Not that I would have the stomach for it.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
After reading reviews, it seems like it's the perfect 1080p144hz card too. Looks like a really versatile card.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this review compares the 3060 Ti with the 970/480/Vega 56/1660 Super if you're on one of those like I am

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Oh i probably wont. If not, i will just use stadia and geforce now until next year. My 960 2gb isnt really doing me any good.
Yikes. I had one and I remember.

I have checked and found some 2080ti for around the same price as the "non-"scalped 3060ti (the reported prices in Europe were all above 500) on a reputable Italian forum. Fucking hate this situation.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The current market reminds me of the days when the Wii was sold out for months and months. This is ridiculous. Why even release a card when there's no stock anywhere?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The current market reminds me of the days when the Wii was sold out for months and months. This is ridiculous. Why even release a card when there's no stock anywhere?
The 3060ti is made of 3070 chips that didn't bin high enough, so they disabled some cores and are releasing them under a different branding. That's how many cards work. So basically they're just getting more stock out of chips that couldn't be used for 3070s.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sitting on stock doesn't make much sense given they still have to pay for storage. and if they only have enough storage for whatever they planned on making at the time, then they'd be over-capacity quickly

Fair Trial

Jan 1, 2018
I live in Italy and one month ago I bought a barely used and still in warranty MSI 2080S Gaming X (one of the best non reference models) for 499 euro.

Seeing now the 3060ti in Italy at over 600 euro I think I made the right move lol.

RTX 2000 prices have fallen ultra low in the used market while the 3000 cards are being sold like 200 euro over the MSRP, when available.

RTX 3000 are awesome performance wise, but this is just dumb.

Last edited:

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
The 3060ti is made of 3070 chips that didn't bin high enough, so they disabled some cores and are releasing them under a different branding. That's how many cards work. So basically they're just getting more stock out of chips that couldn't be used for 3070s.
sitting on stock doesn't make much sense given they still have to pay for storage. and if they only have enough storage for whatever they planned on making at the time, then they'd be over-capacity quickly

Yeah, I know how binning works -- I work in the field -- but it's just weird that they're pushing out these chips as a product now instead of focusing on 3070s instead. Like, there's a clear issue with the defined 3070 bin (perhaps binned too high, ie. 3070's specs are too high) if they're able to release a 3060Ti product at this early in the cycle.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Any UK shops with it at MRSP ?

I am wanting to get one for my cousin, since in Portugal it's rumoured they will be 570 Euros which is not even remotely close to MRSP

Hasn't launched yet; going by details on Amazon (page can be found via google), drops at 2pm tomorrow. Scan have listings up, though no prices as yet for obvious reason. Nvidia's site are the only ones showing a standard price for it here, that being £369.99

Cripterion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol what a ride, I remember when Nvidia announced 3080 at 699$ and it actually translates to 1000€ price point for AIB cards that are absolutely unavailable anywhere leaving scalpers to further increase those prices... Pretty much skipping this entire series 3000. Hopefully by series 4000 performance with RTX will be better, cards will be readily avaible and we won't be hit by another pandemic.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's significantly harder to get a 3080 now than it was 3 months ago, and they're out here releasing new cards. I don't get it.

When are they gonna make more 3080s?

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017

On second thought, maybe I won't even bother then.

It's always nice when the official response is: Were not sure what the cause is, so the fix definitely won't be in the next driver update. Bleh.

Pocky4Th3Win

Oct 31, 2017
Minnesota
Thinking about replacing the 1080 Ti and 1070 the wife and I use in our PCs. Question is, what do I do with the old cards? Resale isn't worth it anymore I think.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Why would 3060 get a 12gb version. If anything they'll probably just do a 6gb version and a 4gb 3050
Lower range cards tend to benefit more from increased VRAM capacity in sales so AIBs may actually push Nv to allow them to release 3050 8GB and 3060 12GB.
This can happen even if there won't be 3070 16GB and 3080 20GB.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It's significantly harder to get a 3080 now than it was 3 months ago, and they're out here releasing new cards. I don't get it.

More people are going to buy 3060s than 3080s, so these cards were going to be launching no matter what eventually. They weren't going to hold off on launching the more mass market friendly stuff even longer than they already have been.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is that they can't make more 3080s. As this product launch has shown, there's something seriously wrong with the production process (or the product design itself) if they're pushing out 3060Ti this early in the cycle. This will be proven if there are significantly more 3060Tis in stock in the next few months.

It might be that the die (or even transistor design) is simply too big for Samsung's 8nm process to have sufficient yields at the top end.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that they can't make more 3080s. As this product launch has shown, there's something seriously wrong with the production process (or the product design itself) if they're pushing out 3060Ti this early in the cycle. This will be proven if there are significantly more 3060Tis in stock in the next few months.

It might be that the die (or even transistor design) is simply too big for Samsung's 8nm process to have sufficient yields at the top end.
that wouldn't prove anything. lower cost cards always sell more, so significantly more stock would just be a reflection of that fact. if there was a problem with production, I don't think we'd be seeing drops happening every so often or even any of these cards launching (or an actual paper launch).

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
that wouldn't prove anything. lower cost cards always sell more, so significantly more stock would just be a reflection of that fact. if there was a problem with production, I don't think we'd be seeing drops happening every so often or even any of these cards launching (or an actual paper launch).
if there wasn't a problem with production, they wouldn't be launching lower end cards while demand for the higher end cards was so much higher than the supply for them. The chips for all the cards are identical, with the lower end cards just having parts of the chip disabled. So, they want to sell as many of the expensive cards as they can. A single person buying a 3060 ti instead of a 3080 is $300 they don't get.

Dec 15, 2017
Gamers are getting used to be shafted when buying HW. AN X 60ti level card for 400 USD is insane. If prices of the 50 and 60 level cards get out of control we will see more gamers going back to consoles...

A 60 tier card should be no more than 300 usd. and 180 usd for a 50 card.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
if there wasn't a problem with production, they wouldn't be launching lower end cards while demand for the higher end cards was so much higher than the supply for them. The chips for all the cards are identical, with the lower end cards just having parts of the chip disabled. So, they want to sell as many of the expensive cards as they can. A single person buying a 3060 ti instead of a 3080 is $300 they don't get.

The numbers are generally higher than that. You're not selling double the amount of cheaper cards, usually, you're selling multiple times more.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
This seems like a decent purchase, good
Gamers are getting used to be shafted when buying HW. AN X 60ti level card for 400 USD is insane. If prices of the 50 and 60 level cards get out of control we will see more gamers going back to consoles...

x60 Ti cards aren't x60 cards though. I'd wait to see what the vanilla RTX 3060 and 3050 look like price-wise.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space

You're looking at this like the successor to the 1660 Ti, when it's really like if there had been an RTX 2060 Ti that was a cut down 2070. This is a lesser x070 card, essentially, the numbers don't matter as much as the tiers.

In fact, I have to ask, how many x60 Ti releases are you basing your opinion on, exactly?

Dozer

May 30, 2019
Orlando, FL
The numbers are generally higher than that. You're not selling double the amount of cheaper cards, usually, you're selling multiple times more.

Oh absolutely, apologies if my wording was imprecise - I meant that what they want to do, ideally, is not launch the lower end cards at all until there is "idle stock" of the more expensive ones, so you don't have anyone willing to pay $700 unable to. The fact they are launching the 3060 TI so soon is a pretty good indication they have a lot of 3000 series silicon that can't be specced into higher end SKUs because of manufacturing yield problems

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017

3060ti is more or less what 2060super was which was $400.

Also there is no "50 or 60 level cards".

AnnoyinSwami

Oct 30, 2017
Seeing that price makes me extremely sad. Knowing we'll be getting the 3060 at probably around $300 just sucks. Guess I'll be looking at a 3050 if I wanna get something I can afford :/