• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Did you know the subtitle of Vagrant Story was The Phantom Pain and it was a prevalent theme of the game 🤔

And we know Kojima knew about Vagrant Story (ignore his superior genes spiel)

screenshot_2019-08-241ikp6.png

Was Kojima inspired by VS so many years later?? 🤔 🤔 🤔

Anyway, I've been replaying Vagrant Story because I am in a retro mood this summer. I haven't replayed this game seriously in a long time because well, it's a very involving game and I end up playing this game for longer than most RPGs I play (I always clock 40 hours on it). I'm mid-way through the replay but I wanted to get a lot of my thoughts out.

First of all, the game is still as beautiful as it gets, everything is absurdly detailed and filled with shapes of all kinds. You can see what they're conveying through immediately, which is even more awesome considering the FFT team did this, all people who were more familiar with 2D than 3D even years into the PS1. I dare say it's the most beautiful game on the PS1, maybe not the most technically impressive, but at least it is from Japan and it has the art direction to match.

ErvXaOY.png

BJwu4os.png

XaVsBdu.png

7K2IWwW.png

The game is still surprising. You spend your first hours in a cave with no music, then you hear some creepy atmospheric music inside the sanctum, you would think the whole game is like that but then you get to the surface and you see a lovely french-styled town that is very bright. That town is FFT if it was fully modeled in 3D. Not only that but you reach areas that are even more surprising, such as the undercity filled with this blue-ish light. It's just constantly amazing and the ability to go into a first-person camera mode to admire everything makes me able to admire all the finer details. What impresses me the most is the lighting, they had to do this by hand and it's incredible how you can see several lights reflecting off the textures. A torch will reflect its light even when there is sunlight, which also reflects off of walls. You end up a mixture of different lights even on the same wall !
The amount of work required must have been staggering but it pays off greatly. One single room can give two wildly different vibes from where you're looking. That's the power of a strong art director like Hiroshi Minagawa, who is now the art director of FFXIV: Shadowbringers, so you know he is still at the top of his class even today.

The cinematography of this game is also equally incredible. Jun Akiyama (who ended up doing the cinematography of KH1, FFXII, and even Versus XIII before it became XV) really outdid himself in this game. The framing, the camera cuts is like an expertly crafted movie. Every shot has meaning and conveys something to the viewer, it's not just there, it has purpose.

Shots like this really makes me speechless of how the scene is constructed. My mind explodes and I end up spending 5 minutes looking at every shot 🤯

z2beGlC.gif

Not only that, but speech bubbles becomes an integral part of the cinematography too, they're placed in clever ways to complement the shot. On top of that, EVERY speech bubble is shaped differently. They don't use preset templates, even the bubbles are carefully crafted in terms of size, shape, and to represent the tone and state of mind of the character. Compare the soft shapes of some bubble speeches with some that has hard edges, it conveys a lot of meaning.

ZPNELPG.gif

The 20-minutes long intro is also a huge feat in itself. The best thign about it is that the music in this intro is dynamic, as in it would seamlessly go to the next phase only when the player decides it. Everything is so well-crafted, and something I especially amazed about is the seamlessness between gameplay and cutscene. In many cutscenes, you will have control of Ashley without a camera cut or a fade to black. It's especially immersive during boss fights, where you get a boss intro and are thrown directly into the fight. By the way, Vagrant Story kinda popularized boss intros and outros in the series. FFXII obviously had it as a successor, and now FFXIV also features boss intros and outros (I don't think FFXI did). Brilliant stuff anyway.

The music of Sakimoto is fantastic. His sounds are VERY similar to Final Fantasy Tactics but the way he uses it is so starkly different. My favourite boss theme (that I linked) is this percussion-heavy daze that is so ominous but also so entrancing. You really get into the fight with this one.

You can't help but notice the music when it is playing. A very dark, brooding atmosphere that has a stronger focus on dissonance rather than harmonious sounds, but still manages to create compelling tracks. It's a bit of the Sakimoto special at this point, but I especially adore how he creates different leitmotivs and they reappear in surprising ways later on. The intro music actually features much of the themes that you get to hear in your journey as an appetizer, and then the ending music just brings closure to everything in a special way.

That's something I like a lot about Sakimoto, he has a very focused vision of the soundtrack and you get to feel the closure and finality of his music in a way that wraps up everything. Very few composers pulls it off in a way that is as powerful as he does. And again the way they do the ending credits always gets at me. They always do this powerful orchestral piece with artworks of characters at different points in their lives and also art of the world they inhabit in this crumpled paper style that also happens in FFT and FF12. Always makes me teary-eyed. Probably Sakimoto's strongest soundtrack for me.

rT6HCyK.png

It's pretty much universally agreed upon but it must be reiterated that the story of Vagrant Story is fantastic. All these things that I have mentioned previously wouldn't work as well if the writing of this game wasn't as good as all the other elements of this game. Not only it is well-written, helped by Alexander O. Smith' localization, but the story says a LOT with few words. Instead of explaining and over-explaining things, everything flows naturally and the viewer isn't held by the hand. A big component of the story is that it directly asks the player to piece things together in order to have the complete picture. It doesn't mean you cannot understand it in a regular playthrough, it means the element of mystery complements the strong writing at play. There isn't a universal truth in the world of Vagrant Story, half the enjoyment is about figuring out what kind of truth do you believe in the most.

Mjqb3C3.png

On top of immediately framing the world of VS inside political ramifications between the Duke, the Church and the Parliament, you also get to plunge deep into the occult and the mystical. Reality begins to lose ground the further you dive into Leà Monde and it is something that is reflected into Ashley as well, as his whole identity loses ground too. One of Sidney's soldiers says to one of the Crimson Blades to "go to Hell", but Leà Monde is already its own kind of hell. The supernatural has always been Matsuno's trademark, and it is very well integrated this time, especially since it allows for the surreal to offer something new on every aspect of the game: story, cutscene, enemies, locations. Everything becomes a surprise the further you dive into the game.

Characters are also some of Square's strongest offering. It's hard to compete with characters as fascinating as Ashley Riot and Sydney Losstarot Ashley is the supersoldier, no-nonsense guy bereft of emotions and is there to get shit done, except that he wasn't like that and Leà Monde exposes his past to him. Sydney Losstarot is the imposing, charming antagonist whose motivations becomes even less clear by the minute. He's one of my favourite antagonists ever, he's just so good in the way he presents himself and his overall design with the Rood tattoo. In reality, it's two men in various states of undress duking it out in an abandoned city but for some reason it is incredibly compelling. All the characters that you meet along the way are very interesting too, such as Guildenstern and Rosencrantz.

eckGpyH.png

The gameplay is its own beast, two books wouldn't be enough to cover the intricacies of the battle system. What I know is that it is a trial by fire for beginners but with a tremendous progression system the further you get into the game. The main issue is that your options are limited in the early games in ways that makes it "adapt or die" and the answer is you doing 0 damage against a boss. It's harsh and doesn't allow for much leeway because of the tons of variables at play, and you can only act on a few of them early into the game.

However, the further you get into the game, so much opens up to you in a rapid amount of time that you can do everything you want and you can account for any situation you might have to face. The progression from early game to end game is staggering, it's like an entirely new game by that point. Early on, you need the right type of weapon, maybe you can farm enemies of a certain type to increase your weapon's affinity but there isn't much more to do.

Now end game, let's say you have a dragon.

• You analyze him and then find out he's weak to piercing and weak to air on its left wing (it doesn't work exactly that way but it's a common scenario)
  • You pick your piercing weapon, you attach air-boosting gems on it, you pick an accessory that also does that
  • Then you buff yourself with either an stat buff spell or an air-buff spell
  • Then you debuff the dragon by decreasing their strength or their overall stats.
  • Then you choose the attack chains you need, let's say he's not immune to paralysis, then you put it into your chain formation, but you also use a chain that allows you to deal 40% of the initial damage, and maybe even a chain that saps the MP of the dragon because his breath is powerful
  • And then you get to attacking,
  • BUT you still check the hit percentage
  • And then you also have to weigh the pros and cons of having a higher RISK (basically a fatigue system), trading more damage for less accuracy.
  • Now you are ready to fight.

Vagrant Story is not about attacking left and right, it's about attacking once, but hard. It's about having all the cards at your disposal and having a tangible effects on all the variables. You can't do that early in the game, but you have so much you can do later on. Boss fights becomes enthralling, I can spend 10 minutes on it thinking what my next move should be. It's an action-RPG with even more depth than a strategy RPG, you don't just attack, you plan moves. Mindless strategies will get you nowhere, your brain cells will have to do some legwork at many points in the game, and the treasure trove of bosses present will constantly remind you to keep guessing. It's a puzzle game, really. Every boss is like: "Hello? Guess how you can beat me!😈"

ZFkoY66.png

It takes a lot of trial and error to get to that point. You have to understand a lot of things to get through it, but the reward is a deep gameplay system that gives out great moments that feels satisfying as a player.

Satisfaction is the key word for Vagrant Story, because you are the one who crafts Ashley Riot into a powerful warrior. You don't buy weapons, nor armors. There is no currency, and there is no level. Ashley Riot is the Do-It-Yourself man from top to bottom. You want something? You go and get it. A boss punishes you? No merchant out here in this hellscape, you have to think harder with what you have.

You can't beat a powerful enemy and get the impression you didn't do it all by yourself. You know that you did it with no help from anybody. Even if you run over a boss, you know you did it because you made correct decisions all the way through your adventure. And it's a huge interconnected world, so you can always go back and find things you've missed, open previously locked doors, find new loot, farm more stuff, craft more things. You have to see everything as an opportunity in order to survive. The enemies that carries weapon and armor can't be seen as just enemies, but as carrying loot that can be useful. You can only get everything on-site.

This sense of progression is fantastic for me because it gives a huge sense of satisfaction. There is no break in this grind and it enhances the story too because you can feel you are going through the challenge that Leà Monde promised to be. This is a dark city of many secrets, and unraveling them requires a special kind of inner strength.

It works well for my sensibilities because I have pushed on to become familiar with the systems of the game, but I can understanding someone jumping into the game getting utterly clubbed. There's just too much stuff going on, the weapon combination system is almost as deep as the demon fusion system of Shin Megami Tensei, except it isn't the core of Vagrant Story, it's literally just a submenu. Then you can disassemble weapons? And attach new weapons with a blade and a grip? Yeah...it's Do-It-Yourself taken to the extreme. It has the depth of two or three Final Fantasy stashed into one game. It's frightening...but obviously very rewarding.

One huge grievance is that you have to get into the menu to change weapon, and you change weapons often in this game. Had this game gotten a weapon wheel, it would have been fantastic.

At the very least navigation in this game is super easy, and the map is genuinely one of the best maps I've seen. Everything is clear and easy to grasp, it even shows you doors that can be unlocked when you get new keys. You can't ever get lost. Each room have their own name too, and sometimes they have VERY dramatic names for no reason, something that also found its way in FF12.

Qbw6Kfa.png

KY9To1U.png

I'm guessing I really need to conclude this.

Vagrant Story is a 30 hours-long Action RPG with a depth that rivals actual strategy RPG. There is more stuff in this game than RPGs that touts themselves to be 80 or 100 hours. Vagrant Story is an inch wide but miles deep for me. As a result, the investment needed is HUGE, and far more involving than any JRPGs I've played in my life. If VS were to exist in 2019, this game would probably get slaughtered considering what it asks from the player. Even I consider that it is too much sometimes.

At the same time, this game is the perfect example of a game with no filler, everything it throws at you is actual, tangible content that matters at every step of the way, in which every aspect has been carefully crafted. Heck, even the sound design in areas with no music is super intricate. There is a world of things to do in the small world of Vagrant Story.

If you push on and complete the game, you feel like you have climbed a mountain. Every encounter is its own boss fight, hell some regular enemies made me have more trouble than actual boss fights. But when I first completed the game many years ago, I felt a kind of satisfaction I hardly ever felt in video games. I felt like I did something incredible and that it was all worth it. It's not the same kind of satisfaction as finishing a game that is stupidly punishing or too hard, it's the satisfaction of a game where it is hard, but you know you can bend it to your will with work. Hell, even New Game+ is one of the best that Square has offered, giving tons of replay value when you know that one playthrough is far from enough to grasp the whole depth of the game.

Vagrant Story is an adventure that is worthy of the challenge it asked from me. And that's why it's such a great game for me. The Final Fantasy Tactics team outdid themselves and to me they remain the most talented people within Square. Everything they touch turns into a diamond. One of my favs of all time.

tFZeFVL.png

Last edited:

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It's a crime this game hasn't been remastered with how good it looks. They could add the Final Fantasy name to it to help boost sales if they wanted to.

J2d

Oct 26, 2017
My favourite PS1 game, it was incredible in almost every way. I'd love a remaster.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
An absolute masterpiece, and one of the best games of its generation. I wish Matsuno would make some more games.

miserable

Oct 27, 2017
This game man, this game. So good.

Kojima, if you have so much influence in this industry today why don't you do your buddy Matsuno a solid and get him hired by a publisher who will give him a team and a budget to do another masterpiece? Please.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Its was one of the greatest games ever made and one of the best RPG's ever. It still outdoes games that have come out decades later in terms of story, cinematography and so on.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how Ashley looks like a Kingdom Hearts character at the end. You'd think this would have facilitated the greenlighting of a sequel but no :(

yEpo2CE.png

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I loved this game to bits but I'm not even sure how Matsuno could do a sequel since
Ash Riot is basically immortal at the end of the game. And the game pretty much wraps up almost all of the loose ends. All of the villains are dead pretty much

Only way I'd like to see Vagrant Story come back is for Matsuno to do a full remake/reimagining with all of his story intact this time (since he had to cut like half of the story I seem to remember) like make Neesa and Tieger party members this time around instead of antagonists like apparently he originally intended (maybe they were supposed to betray you during the storyline originally?) and let us fight reanimated Grissom.

There's something amazing about the lack of voice acting too, makes it even more atmospheric for me. I don't doubt nowadays there could be great voice acting, but I'd be tempted to remove voices if given an option in a potential remake.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved this game to bits but I'm not even sure how Matsuno could do a sequel since
Ash Riot is basically immortal at the end of the game. And the game pretty much wraps up almost all of the loose ends. All of the villains are dead pretty much

Only way I'd like to see Vagrant Story come back is for Matsuno to do a full remake/reimagining with all of his story intact this time (since he had to cut like half of the story I seem to remember) like make Neesa and Tieger party members this time around instead of antagonists like apparently he originally intended (maybe they were supposed to betray you during the storyline originally?) and let us fight reanimated Grissom.

There's something amazing about the lack of voice acting too, makes it even more atmospheric for me. I don't doubt nowadays there could be great voice acting, but I'd be tempted to remove voices if given an option in a potential remake.
Ashley would obviously not be the protagonist in a sequel. It would be someone else like in each Ogre Battle Saga game.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Amazing write-up! I firmly believe it's the best game ever made, for all the reasons you described so well. It's not like most games where one or two things were done exceptionally well for its time. It did everything exceptionally well for its time. The music is amazing. The art direction is amazing. The gameplay is amazing. The story is amazing. The characters are amazing. The dialogue is amazing. I'd argue the dialogue is still unmatched to this day, and Sydney is a legit contender for best written character in a video game of all time. I also find it amazing that Dark Souls has finally re-popularized the style of level design that Vagrant Story nailed so well back then, but that Vagrant Story still does it better due to the New Game + mode providing access to so many entirely new areas and bosses. It's a mind-blowingly good game, for every single reason a game possibly can be.

It still holds up beautifully well to this day, but an HD remaster with hotkeys for weapons would be amazing. I don't trust modern Square with a remake because Callo would be a Viera, Guildenstern would be captain of the Chocobo Knights, and Ashley would have a constant moogle companion, kupo.

I also really want to further stress just how damn good this game's lighting was. It even had a rim lighting system. On the original PlayStation. This is absolutely insane:

DtmWj2RXgAAiTXz.png
DtmWjexXcAAzBRw.png

3e75f929c6c7033521654e3e288d8b598e48c54e_2_666x500.jpg
37760-Vagrant_Story_[U]-18.png

EDIT: And the HAIR! Holy crap, they had animated hair on the PS1. I remember playing multiple AAA games on the 360/PS3, like Mass Effect and Skyrim, with all their completely static hair models, and wondering how the hell this is still normal when Square figured it out two entire generations ago.

DearGracefulAsp-small.gif

Last edited:

Gamesadict

Oct 25, 2017
If there's a game that deserves a remake, it's this one.

Have really been wanting to play it recently, but it's a bit long and haven't found the time to get into a run.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017

Kojima, if you have so much influence in this industry today why don't you do your buddy Matsuno a solid and get him hired by a publisher who will give him a team and a budget to do another masterpiece? Please.

This is assuming Matsuno wants to do such things, big projects like that. I feel like if he wanted to, he could have got someone on board for it.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
This is assuming Matsuno wants to do such things, big projects like that. I feel like if he wanted to, he could have got someone on board for it.

Reading between the lines Matsuno always seemed like a downbeat kind of person, maybe suffers from anxiety. His recent quote about worrying about dying before making the sequels his fans ask for was kind of poignant. And that he was basically dragged to Level 5 to make an RPG for Akihiro Hino, since Matsuno said he wanted to make a puzzle game originally. Then the failure of Lost Order never leaving beta then disappearing into the ether...it's just depressing. I want more Matsuno games.

If the passion isn't there then he will never do it again, there's not much anyone can do about this. He spent quite a long time after FFXII ostracized I feel and then all he did was write the story for Madworld which was...uh okay? Then worked on some Wii game that never came out. At least not as bad a track record as Hiroyuki Ito since FFXII but still, not exactly great either. It's almost worse than him actually retiring because we all live in the false hope that he's going to actually release another game on the scale as this again or even Crimson Shroud. It is just the worst... :(

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFXII is proof that Matsuno doesn't like huge, massive projects. Even Vagrant Story suffered multiple delays and it wasn't even a project as big as the FF games.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
This is one of my favorite games of all time, needs a remaster or remake. Matsuno pls.

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Reading between the lines Matsuno always seemed like a downbeat kind of person, maybe suffers from anxiety. His recent quote about worrying about dying before making the sequels his fans ask for was kind of poignant. And that he was basically dragged to Level 5 to make an RPG for Akihiro Hino, since Matsuno said he wanted to make a puzzle game originally. Then the failure of Lost Order never leaving beta then disappearing into the ether...it's just depressing. I want more Matsuno games.

If the passion isn't there then he will never do it again, there's not much anyone can do about this. He spent quite a long time after FFXII ostracized I feel and then all he did was write the story for Madworld which was...uh okay? Then worked on some Wii game that never came out. At least not as bad a track record as Hiroyuki Ito since FFXII but still, not exactly great either. It's almost worse than him actually retiring because we all live in the false hope that he's going to actually release another game on the scale as this again or even Crimson Shroud. It is just the worst... :(

Yeah hes an amazing game maker and writer and puts out pure quality and heart.

And maybe it's a fake but if not (even if so) his Instagram is real cool to see

Deleted member 4262

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of the prettiest games from that era. I could never get into the combat but everything else seemed stellar.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
It's my favorite game of all time for a god damn reason: because it's a masterpiece. Unmatched to this day in its uniqueness. The closest we've come to it is Bloodborne in terms of aesthetics and gameplay.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. While FF XII is kinda a spiritual successor in some ways, I'd love to see a true sequel to this fantastic game. Also, that intro - SO GOOD.
I think a lot could work in a sequel, Vagrant Story did a lot of things right and FFXII took some of it in order to craft a classic RPG.

An ARPG that expands on it to be more dynamic and less menu-based would definitely work in my opinion. Things like the buff/debuff system, the break arts, weapon switching, attacking specific limbs to make them less effective are all so well done and would give a lot of depth already.

Unfortunately Matsuno isn't a household name like Kojima so it will never happen unfortunately.

Amazing write-up! I firmly believe it's the best game ever made, for all the reasons you described so well. It's not like most games where one or two things were done exceptionally well for its time. It did everything exceptionally well for its time. The music is amazing. The art direction is amazing. The gameplay is amazing. The story is amazing. The characters are amazing. The dialogue is amazing. I'd argue the dialogue is still unmatched to this day, and Sydney is a legit contender for best written character in a video game of all time. I also find it amazing that Dark Souls has finally re-popularized the style of level design that Vagrant Story nailed so well back then, but that Vagrant Story still does it better due to the New Game + mode providing access to so many entirely new areas and bosses. It's a mind-blowingly good game, for every single reason a game possibly can be.

It still holds up beautifully well to this day, but an HD remaster with hotkeys for weapons would be amazing. I don't trust modern Square with a remake because Callo would be a Viera, Guildenstern would be captain of the Chocobo Knights, and Ashley would have a constant moogle companion, kupo.

I also really want to further stress just how damn good this game's lighting was. It even had a rim lighting system. On the original PlayStation. This is absolutely insane:

DtmWj2RXgAAiTXz.png
DtmWjexXcAAzBRw.png

EDIT: And the HAIR! Holy crap, they had animated hair on the PS1. I remember playing multiple AAA games on the 360/PS3, like Mass Effect and Skyrim, with all their completely static hair models, and wondering how the hell this is still normal when Square figured it out two entire generations ago.

Yeah I can see the comparisons with the Souls series, Vagrant Story is very close in terms of care put into the world and the progression system, though more intricate in the case of Vagrant Story for the latter. The hair is also really surprising yeah.

FFXII is proof that Matsuno doesn't like huge, massive projects. Even Vagrant Story suffered multiple delays and it wasn't even a project as big as the FF games.
He's a perfectionist, but his biggest skill is that he always finds the best people to do the job so you know he can reach his goal, just not in a timely manner lol

I mean people who came from his team like Akihiko Yoshida, Hiroshi Minagawa and Jun Akiyama are all world-class at their craft now.

I really do love it. Though I hate that stupid snowfly forest.
Yeah the Snowfly Forest is super annoying, I hate confusion forests

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
It's less Matsuno doesnt close well as he doesn't truck with people backseat driving each other. VS got stopped short for bigger projects and got pared down cleanly (this was one of the few times he himself would interfere with his crew given they were selected for their self-reliant brilliance) but XII was infamously full of crammed in must haves after scenes, characters, themes, dialogue, and zones were baked in. For a holisitic man like him, that's a no go.

DtmWj2RXgAAiTXz.png
DtmWjexXcAAzBRw.png

Her eyes widening at the phantasm got me. Again, to quote myself from recently, this shit is solved.

It's my favorite game of all time for a god damn reason: because it's a masterpiece. Unmatched to this day in its uniqueness. The closest we've come to it is Bloodborne in terms of aesthetics and gameplay.

Try your hand at Xanadu Next.

It's got the washed-out old-world design to the environment, the same careful, lonesome atmosphere, the music sounds similar...

...it even has block puzzles!

it's not a SEQUEL mind, as it's more a full arcadey ARPG in the Falcom mold, but it was VERY clear during play that someone or someones played VS before XN shipped in 2005.

bigbaldwolf86

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vagrant Story is one of my favourite PS1 games. The art design is incredible and I love the characters. I've always hoped for a sequel but at least I still have this masterpiece to play

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Outstanding game, should replay it asap.

They should remake this one, they could modernize it and give it a more "souls"-esque spin and take a similar system to The Surge for targeting enemy parts, but with the slow-mo of FFVIIR.

Oreiller

Oct 25, 2017
I remember getting this game as a kid and being really confused.
My only frame of reference for what a JRPG was was FF7 and 8 so the opening hours of the game were difficult for me to get through. The atmosphere is really oppressive, especially when you're a wussy child.

I did eventually get accustomed to it and got engrossed in the story and atmosphere. I never did finish it though because I didn't really understand the crafting system and got stuck dealing 0 damage to most enemies, shortly after the foggy forest.
I should get back to it eventually.

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic thread for an even more fantastic game.

I had tried multiple times to "grasp" this game since its release and I could never figure it out. I finally finished it last Christmas and had a wonderful time. I'm going to do a NG+ run this holiday season.

Underrated game that desperately deserves a remaster.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
I played this for the first time back in 2014, and I remember being absolutely FLOORED by the visual design of the game.

It's just something else. In a league all of its own.

theSoularian

Oct 25, 2017
I should really revisit Vagrant Story. It is still one of my favourite games of all time. I actually bought this game impulsively back in summer of 2000 because I wanted something to play until Chrono Cross released. I ended loving this game the most. Great art, atmosphere and sound tr.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017

I'm not sure Matsuno wants a big team. Like, his problem with FFXII was having to give up control due to the huge team size, and it drove him crazy. The current game landscape just isn't conducive to his approach, and that sucks.

Jun Akiyama is easily the best cutscene director in the entire industry imo. His work on Vagrant Story in particular is still leagues ahead of almost everything being released, and it's almost twenty years old! He's either on VIIR or the next-gen game from Yoshida's division - either way, I'm super hyped.

The entire team Matsuno had backing him up were just crazy. Not to mention how good he is too - like, is there a single Matsuno game with a crappy villain? Delita, Vyce, Sydney... They're all so damn great!

Last edited:

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Jun Akiyama is easily the best cutscene director in the entire industry imo. His work on Vagrant Story in particular is still leagues ahead of almost everything being released, and it's almost twenty years old! He's either on VIIR or the next-gen game from Yoshida's division - either way, I'm super hyped.
I hope you're right and he's not wasted on World of Final Fantasy 2 or some trash

Oct 26, 2017
This Era of Square was completely off the chain, their output was insane and Vagrant Story was among the best of their titles. The way the game was presented was like nothing else at the time and the atmosphere was sublime.

I'm so grateful that I was in my late teens during this era of gaming. Old enough to appreciate the games but still young enough to be wowed and excited.

Necron

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I wonder how a sequel would look like nowadays... Vagrant Story should have become a series but didn't, unfortunately.

Loved the aesthetics, music and atmosphere. I even have the strategy guide for this game!

Ciao

Jun 14, 2018
Only game of the same level of godlike gameplay, universe, art and general feeling is Bloodborne. Vagrant and BB are the absolute best games ever for me.

May 10, 2019
I loved and still do love this game. One of the few last breaths of the PS1 era. This is one Squaresoft game that I've always wanted a Remaster & Remake for so long.

Also, nice write-up OP!

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not my favorite Matsuno game but it certainly is a masterpiece. Everything Matsuno has developed is golden. That man is one of my top 5 game devs of all time. I have VS on my VITA but I need to buy a new charger for it...it might be time for another playthru.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
Vagrant Story has so much about it that I like (the music, the story, the atmosphere) but was, nonetheless, not that great to me because I despised the gameplay. Thankfully, the game has a cool New Game+ feature which let me play through it with ease after my miserable first go through the game and focus on enjoying the story while totally ignoring the gameplay mechanics that I hate. Unfortunately, if I want to replay the game with my save file, I have to hook up my old PS2.

The game has some great art direction and the text boxes are super stylish, but its old polygons don't look too hot to me. I much prefer the visuals in sprite-based PS1 games like Symphony of the Night, Legend of Mana, and Suikoden 2, and I've always thought that Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy IX, with their colourful pre-rendered backgrounds look much nicer than Vagrant Story. It's cool that Vagrant Story pushes the PS1 to its limits, but the game sure suffered from some of the slowest memory card loading times I've ever seen in a game.