• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Been watching these in 4K before the fourth film comes out.

The first is still basically perfect IMO. The visuals look noticeably dated now, especially in 4K where you can really see all the muddy textures, but it's still so damn charming and so damn quotable.

Toy Story 2 I've only seen a few times and it's definitely my least favourite. Film gets off to a bit of a rocky start IMO but it picks up hugely once Woody is kidnapped. The rest of the movie is gold even if the dialogue is nowhere near as snappy (possibly due to Joss Whedon's absence?).

Going to watch Toy Story 3 tonight. I rarely watch it because it wrings tears from me with a pavlovian urgency, but it's probably my fave of the trilogy.

And then tomorrow...Toy Story 4.

Chivalry

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Nov 22, 2018
TS2 is the most fun. TS3 is incredibly boring aside from the Mexican Buzz scenes.

BrokenFiction

Oct 25, 2017
ATL
Did this just the other day. The 4k transfers are gorgeous and TS3 still looks incredible for 2010. Going to see 4 tonight.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
All the original trilogy are 10/10s in my eyes. Although I am bias as I saw the first two in the cinema when I was a kid.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think 3 is as good as the other two (not that funny, daycare setting was lame, most of the new characters were wack), it's the only animated feature that has actually brought a tear to my eye. When they all held hands and accepted that they were going to die/when Andy described what each toy meant to him...whew.

1 & 2 are the GOAT Pixar movies.

Oct 31, 2017
Toy Story 3 is easily the best one, just a fantastic, hilarious film top to bottom. I'd say TS2 is the weakest and has the most reference comedy with Mr. Potatohead's hat throw and "I am your father," but weakest to TS1/TS3 is still a great film.

TS3 is probably up there as one of my favorite Pixar movies.

WorldofMiku

attempted ban circumvention by using an alt
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TS3 isn't as memorable as the first two. TS3 is actually a ripoff of TS2 in most ways.

Haloid1177

Oct 25, 2017
I just did the same thing and wrapped it up last night. I hadn't watched them all in quite a while, but I gotta say, the first wasn't as good as I remembered, as I find the pacing really off putting, and the second is way better than I remember, mainly because the character pairings had a lot of laughs.

Toy Story 3 is still the GOAT though, I cry every time, like twice too. The incinerator comes and I cry, and then it's all good, and then he starts giving Bonnie the toys, and I'm still good, and then he gets to Buzz, and I'm not good anymore.

Tophat Jones

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Same boat as you, but I do really like 2.

Watching 3 tonight, pretty sure it's my favorite.

Oct 31, 2017
I just did the same thing and wrapped it up last night. I hadn't watched them all in quite a while, but I gotta say, the first wasn't as good as I remembered, as I find the pacing really off putting, and the second is way better than I remember, mainly because the character pairings had a lot of laughs.

Toy Story 3 is still the GOAT though, I cry every time, like twice too. The incinerator comes and I cry, and then it's all good, and then he starts giving Bonnie the toys, and I'm still good, and then he gets to Buzz, and I'm not good anymore.

It was the only Pixar movie in which my mom cried. If you had told me when the first released that a sequel would do that, I'd have laughed.

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
The bonnie scene is still one of the best scenes Pixar ever did. Up there with the Up-montage and Riley coming home/Sadness taking the controls.

I think it hit home extra hard because when I first saw Toy Story I was 8 or 9, and when Toy Story 3 hit I was in my early twenties. It really felt like I was giving up my childhood together with Andy.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
1 is one of the most perfectly structured and paced movies ever, and still cracks me up every time I watch it. Peak Pixar, still unmatched etc.

2 is up there as well, not as good as the first one but expands on its existential elements in clever ways, while broadening the story as well.

3 is a bit of a step down from the other two and feels like a retread in a lot of ways, but it has a lot of heart and wraps up really well. Haven't seen this one since it came out though, I need to revisit it.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel kinda the opposite about Toy Story 2's progression. I think the first two acts are basically excellent, but its final act is such a disappointment that Toy Story 3 was basically forced into finishing the film. They setup a lot of interesting philosophical arguments (with Jessie and Stinky Pete) and then realized they had no way of actually testing anything in Act 3 and just threw together a rescue sequence. Especially with Jessie, the film does such a great job with her in Act 2 and has no idea how to pay off her arc in a meaningful way. It's such a waste.

I still really like 2, I always just wish when watching they got another crack at the ending. It is improved by the fact that 3 exists, though.

Apr 19, 2018
Started backwards, and I re-watched Toy Story 3 the other day. I won't have time to watch the first two since I'm seeing TS4 tonight, but I suspect I'll get to them this weekend.

Interestingly, I think the most emotional part of TS3 for me is the opening sequence. When the camcorder sequence with young Andy playing with his toys ends abruptly with that video static and smash cut to black, and Randy Newman's song echos with "And as the years go by, our friendship will never die" -- knowing what follows after as far as the story progression goes makes that particular lyric so much more poignant.

Also love how that beginning imaginary sequence with Buzz, Jesse and Woody bracing for their inevitable destruction from One-Eyed Bart mirrors what's going to happen toward the end with the incinerator scene.

Last edited:
OP
OP
shaneo632

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Toy Story 3 just broke me in half emotionally again. It's one of my favourite films but it honestly gives me a headache just trying not to burst into tears in at least 3 scenes - the opening montage, the incinerator and the ending.

Such a beautiful movie, looked astonishing in 4K as well.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
TS2 is a step down in comedy/maturity from the first film. In the first 30min it already feels like it skews to a younger demographic. The first film is legendary. The 3rd was good

Deleted member 4260

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love all these movies, the first is probably my favorite though. I only saw 3 once but I loved it too.

Toy Story 1 is probably my favorite movie of all time, and that probably won't ever change, due to nostalgia.

Didn't care much for Toy Story 2 - thought all the Western characters were fairly annoying.

Toy Story 3 is fantastic, though still not up to Toy Story 1's level.

Not sure if I want to watch Toy Story 4. I thought 3 had a very good ending, provided closure to the story, and ended on a high note.
Really don't like to see the series potentially being drawn out until people inevitably start to dislike it.

We'll see, I guess.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
I legitimately love all three films (actually all 4--just got out of the theatre for the newest one) and would never be able to choose between them. These movies were (and still are) so important to me.

TS2 > TS1 >>> TS3, which was a duller retread of 2

...what? TS3 is a completely different genre altogether.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
First film is definitely the best, but it also aimed the lowest. TS2 starts rough, but ends strong. TS3 is way too much of a redux of 2, but an amazing ending to hide it

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched Toy Story 3 again since its release in theaters. I remember it feeling like a step down from the prior two in both plot and humor, but having some solid emotional moments such as that incinerator scene and a great finale. weakest of the three though overall. I've seen the first two countless times as opposed to this one.

Think i'll check all 3 out again too before watching the fourth.