• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
I played this game when it first came out and loved it, but haven't really revisited it since. I'd been jonesing for a fast paced FPS, and having recently played through Modern Warfare (pretty good) and some of its multiplayer, I found myself still a bit unsatisfied. So, I decided to download Titanfall 2 from Game Pass, and wow... this game is still amazingly god damn good.

The melees in this game pack a punch (or uppercut, if sliding) and never get old. Sliding around, wall running, shooting goons in the head all still feels great and fluid in a way I don't remember feeling even when playing some of the more futuristic Call of Duty games. I hate platforming games, but Titanfall 2 is perhaps the one exception to this.

I remember the game running well on my base PS4, but it's still impressive to play on a Series X due to the load times feeling slightly faster. And the game still feels like a breath of fresh air compared to other military shooters - whether they're based in old wars, current wars, or future wars - because the characters have humor and heart, never take themselves too seriously, and actually have personalities besides "cool military bro whose vernacular is mostly military acronyms." I get that military games have to carry a different tone due to the content they're based on, but man - having a fake war on a fake planet just seems to open up so many more narrative doors.

I haven't played the multiplayer mode in Titanfall 2 since playing it originally on the PS4, but I remember it being one of the few online shooters I actually got into, even though I was never great at it. It's a game that's perhaps even more fun out of mechs than it is in them. It kinda makes me wish Apex Legends had a single player mode, but hey - I get it.

So yeah, if you haven't replayed this in a while, I definitely recommend it.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Def one of the best MP experiences of last gen.

I seem to be in the minority but I didnt care for the singleplayer much.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
It was a great game but it's also one of those games that is so cheap that it's nearly impossible to sell. I literally can't sell my copy and for that reason I've grown to hate it every time I see it. Damn you Titanfall 2 sales!!

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The SP campaign was one of my favorite surprises from last gen.

Such a good game and sequel.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I played the campaign for the first time a few weeks ago. It really did live up to the hype.

Sosukae

Oct 25, 2017
Just played through it again on my Series X. It is soo good. Such variety in the campaign. Playing new Apex Legends season now to carry on that mobility and speed but miss the wal running and Titans for sure.

Can't wait for a sequel, they have got to go back for Titanfall 3 at some point.

tobascodagama

Aug 21, 2020
It's so sad that we'll never see a legitimate Titanfall 3 because Respawn couldn't find a way to turn it into a successful Live Service. :/

Oct 27, 2017
The devs knew that gameplay is king in a shooter like this. They didn't force cinematics everywhere.

I installed it a few weeks a go to replay it. I just need to finish a couple of games before diving in.

OP
OP
Addleburg

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
Just played through it again on my Series X. It is soo good. Such variety in the campaign. Playing new Apex Legends season now to carry on that mobility and speed but miss the wal running and Titans for sure.

Can't wait for a sequel, they have got to go back for Titanfall 3 at some point.

God, I wish they do a Titanfall 3. If I had a group of friends I played with, I'd try squads in Apex. As it is, I tried it once and just didn't have the energy to learn a new competitive shooter and its mechanics.

The devs knew that gameplay is king in a shooter like this. They didn't force cinematics everywhere.

I installed it a few weeks a go to replay it. I just need to finish a couple of games before diving in.

Yes! I forgot to mention this in my OP, but coming from CoD to Titanfall 2 makes it starkly apparent that the approach to storytelling in the latter is so much more natural. No debriefings or cutscenes between levels, immersive first person storytelling... it's wonderful. I think it goes hand in hand with the game not trying to feel capital c Cinematic all the time.

cgpartlow

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Fantastic Singleplayer! Pretty okayish multiplayer sadly. At least for me who put hours and hours into Titanfall 1, and then tried to get into Titanfall 2 and it felt oddly like a significant step back. Way less verticality in the map design as well. If you never played TF1 then I could see it feeling a lot better to play.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I really liked the level design and mechanics of the campaign but most of the guns and enemies were bland

Oct 27, 2017
Yes! I forgot to mention this in my OP, but coming from CoD to Titanfall 2 makes it starkly apparent that the approach to storytelling in the latter is so much more natural. No debriefings or cutscenes between levels, immersive first person storytelling... it's wonderful. I think it goes hand in hand with the game not trying to feel capital c Cinematic all the time.
Yeah and they actually made the story with you and BT charming. Inbetween combat sections they give you dialog choices without slowing you down. This game needs to be looked at more for it's narrative structure.

It is still funny to me that this game was inspired by Doom 4's gameplay is king direction only for Doom 5 to go all in on the story (thankfully skipping cutscenes is an option).

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Such a fantastic campaign. This last generation was just so amazing for FPS campaigns. Hell, Titanfall 2 gave us what I honestly believe is the best FPS level of all time, Effect & Cause.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
Protocol 3...

giphy.gif

data west

Oct 25, 2017
What's really great about the MP is you can pick a new Titan and unlock hours of fun. They all feel so different. Like I spent hundreds of hours on Scorch, the Steam release came out and I came back and put hundreds of hours on Ion. There's so much to learn and they all feel so unique.

Oct 30, 2017
It's phenomenal, I'm still playing MP here and there on PC. TF feels like the series with the most-copied FPS conventions from the last 7+ years. Even Doom Eternal's grabs were blatant.

Geeker

May 11, 2019
Great game, but I played it after doom eternal and the fast paced FPS style gameplay simply is inferior in my opinion

Some really cool level design ideas though

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
I really liked the level design and mechanics of the campaign but most of the guns and enemies were bland

Yeah, that's how I felt. It was fine, I guess, but after having a few years of being told TF2 was the next coming, I was left pretty underwhelmed when it saw a Steam release. Couldn't tell you anything about the campaign after the fact, nor of any memorable or unique guns.