• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I watched this so many times back in the day. I don't remember too much about it now but I think in one version the Chun Li shower scene got cut or censored?

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Recently watched this and the Fatal Fury Movie blu-rays and damn the art holds up and looks fantastic on a 4k TV.

donkey

Sumo Digital Dev
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Fantastic movie. My brother and I still randomly shout T-Hawk's line to Ken at each other, "Ryu, the vagabond who dropped off the earth... YOU COMPARE HIM TO ME? YEAAAAARGH!" šŸ¤£

Oct 28, 2017
Loved that film - Chun Li going to war on Vega was the highlight. Ken and Ryu taking on Bison was great too. Always laughed at how fucking huge Bison was in that film, he looked like he was three times the size of Ryu and Ken.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
Fatal Fury Movie or the OVAs? There's a movie, but also 2 OVAs covering the events of FF1 and 2. The OVA's better than the movie IMO.
Unfortunately only The Motion Picture is available on Blu-ray. Unless some fan upscale exists for the OVAs. But I enjoy both OVAs and movie so it was good to watch again.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Unfortunately only The Motion Picture is available on Blu-ray. Unless some fan upscale exists for the OVAs. But I enjoy both OVAs and movie so it was good to watch again.

I admit I don't remember much about the movie, but the first fight with Terry in the arcade, I think, was so badly animated. I thought I was watching a different show for a second.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
This probably was the best of all those fighting game anime adaptations from the 90s. Next to it was probably Fatal Fury.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Man I had this in vhs.

I remember convincing my teacher to let us watch it in class during indoor recess. Everything was fine until that shower scene šŸ˜‚

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
always thought bison tells ken "YOU WILL BE ME" but once it came out on dvd i learned it was "YOU WILL OBEY ME"

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely loved this growing up. Somehow I managed to get this at 13 years old lol.

I'm lucky I was fairly tall for my age and had the confidence to walk into the anime store and be like, "Yeah, I'm 19 mate," at the same time as blagging the owner that I spotted and advert for his shop in the Mortal Kombat comic.

I'm also really lucky because that shop only lasted a few months before it closed down as there was no market for it around here back in the 90s. If I hadn't got it then I'd probably never have seen it when it came out. I'm the only person I knew that had it so it got loaned out a lot.

It was only last week that I started looking for a blue ray version but it was hard to find any stock in the UK.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Semi-related, don't watch the Tekken movies.

But this was a really good one, I thought. Great 90s animation, and I really liked some of the higher stake fight between Ryu and Ken. Bison feels properly untouchable.

...I can't remember the 3rd movie much besides it getting weird with some brother bananas.

Also, why does no one talk about these šŸ¤­

A2319-7.1477972276.jpg

sf2v_03.jpg

EDIT: God just looking at stuff here, I loooove SF's crazy muscle-on-muscle anatomy. xD

EDIT (again): The SF2 movie is on Amazon Prime (with Alpha, and the TV series!) if anyone's curious about it.
I really liked Street Fighter 2 V. I remember grabbing them on VHS, I couldn't wait for each release

Tekniqs

Oct 26, 2017
i think this was my introduction to anime when I was a little kid. That Ryu/Sagat opener was mind blowing to 10 year old me. When Ryu starts gathering energy for his hadoken..MAAAAAAAN! the effects were incredible. Years later, I see an unedited version that shows Ryu's DP splitting Sagat's chest open/Sagat heavily bleeding running towards Ryu as he's getting ready to blast some plasma at him. Amazing stuff.

That ryu/fei long animation/choreography is topnotch.

Oct 26, 2017
I love Chun-Li's reaction to Vega because in the context of the movie she's not some world warrior who fights these guys on a daily basis. She only knows Vega by investigation as a crazy killer, and suddenly he's in her bedroom.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I started watching a Street Fighter anime movie but it had Akuma and seemed kinda bad. Is this the same one OP is talking about?

Oct 26, 2017
No, that's the Alpha anime which was kind of stupid. Akuma isn't in this, or rather, he only has a tiny, tiny cameo.

Kabuki Waq

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man this the animation is top notch. Is the blu ray quality good? I remember hearing about issues.

soulmatic

Oct 27, 2017
So much of Street Fighter Alpha, moreso Street Fighter Alpha 2 was a love letter to this movie. Ken & Ryu's duo fireball at the end of the intro of Alpha 2. Stages like The grass stage & the waterfall. A young Ken giving his red hair tie to Ryu as his head band. Alpha 3 Ryu's storyline of fighting mind controlled Ken. The mode where it's 2 vs 1, call back to Ryu & Ken vs Bison. Just to name a few things. Love this movie & the Alpha series.

Akuma's cameo.
ZhqB4jZ.jpg

=
alpha_02.jpg

Last edited:

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
This was one of the first DVDs I purchased when I got my first player in '97. Also liked how the characters looked somewhat close to their video game counterparts in the Alpha series.

Also, kind of still on topic: if you haven't seen this yet, it's worth purchasing the blu-ray set if you're a SF nerd. Way, way better than the atrocious Van Damme film.

Each episode used to be on Youtube, but they've since removed it (on normal Youtube anyway, but you can still find the entire show re-uploaded, but with shit all over the screen).

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Cuz we're brothers.. HAHAHAHAHA!

My cousins and I still quote that shit like 25 years later.

Legit classic movie.

BebopCola

Jul 17, 2019
Was Ryu really yelling "No!" as he got the hadoken powered up against Sagat? I always thought so, and I kinda liked that.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Easily one of if not the best video game movies, animated or not. Should probably watch it with the Japanese score sometime, but I do love the 90s alt rock even if it's a bit cheesy at times now.

Nov 19, 2019
Hey guys, could someone help me out? I remember having the VHS for this movie in the 90s (or maybe it was another movie, idk) and there was an ad in it for another anime movie. I don't know if it was Fatal Fury or not, but it was a very quiet, low key scene consisting of one or two guys fighting with many others in a small room, it really looked like Street Fighter.
Does anyone remember this? Apparently the only other martial arts anime movie released in the 90s resembling the Street Fighters' artstyle was Fatal Fury so this is probably it, but I can't find this particular scene nor the ad in YouTube and I don't feel like watching the entire movie :p

Stuart444

Oct 25, 2017
No lies detected in the op.

Seriously great movie and yeah I love the Chun vs Vega fight. Also love Honda in general in the movie haha.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
All of the love and points to Discotek for painstakingly restoring this movie to its full glory. I know some of you guys post here, and as a die hard fan of this movie, I am still blown away by what you did.

For those who don't know, Discotek had to both remaster and re-edit the movie for their release, because there were so many different cuts for different countries, and I believe they said there was no one, definitive master that preserved every frame. On top of that, the OSTs didn't match up, because the Japanese movie had a few long, contemplative moments that were cut from the western versions. I'm probably butchering the details; hopefully others can correct me, but what I know for certain is that Discotek did an insane amount of work in terms of tracking down masters, and stitching everything together so fans could enjoy the uncut film with whichever soundtrack they preferred. It sounded like an absolute nightmare.

I'm so watching this again tomorrow.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Have you ever felt the fighting spirit of another?
tumblr_n546j9AgKg1smjnsko1_500.gif

Seriously, the animation is SO fluid. I was always amused that even HONDA had a six-pack.

Oh yes. The animation quality (not just the glorious aesthetics) was what I noticed more than anything. Everything animation and detail wise I ever watched since Akira, Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell were (maybe unfairly) always held up against those, and almost always found extremely wanting in my view. Aside from the Ghibli stuff, and this.

Needs more Fei Long dragon kick.

WOOOO WOOO WOOO WAATAAAAAAHHHH

Guy at the end sure dropped a lot of Monopoly money.

Thread checks out. This fight is incredible - even with the pervy chun-li stuff in the run-up. The KMFDM song choice here is just *chef kiss*

This trailer from US Manga was legit the first time I had heard that song. The clip with Devilman was a perfect fit for that part of the song too and always stuck with me later on when actively listening to the song separately. The trailer in this particular video is slightly altered from the original, but the Devilman section is the same.

Ah my gateway drug into hentai. I should rewatch this

Urotsukidoji for me (and pretty much the only "hentai" I intentionally watched).

Last edited:

Mavis

Oct 25, 2017
Blue Mountains
I wore the VHS tape out on this, I watched this at least once a week when it came out in my 20's. Amazing film, it set the bar for fight game related movies so high it has never been touched. Fuck sake, I was slowly working my way through Onepiece but I reckon I may need a quick rewatch of this!

Oct 12, 2020
Thread checks out. This fight is incredible - even with the pervy chun-li stuff in the run-up. The KMFDM song choice here is just *chef kiss*

for anyone who hasn't seen:

On one hand Chun-Li fighting in here underwear looks perverted .... but on the other hand it puts her in an extreme disadvantage against Vega, since he has more opportunities to cut her flesh directly. Making the battle more intense and her winning much more satisfying. Good use of fan service.