• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Hi everyone.

A few days back, I bought Undead Labs' open world post-apocalyptic zombie survival game, State of Decay, at the Xbox Spring sale for $15. I played the game at launch, really liked it, but withtin 10 hours the bugs got the best of me, and I ragequit the game due to a game-breaking bug. Now, I hear the game has ironed out a lot o it's buggyness, and brought a lot of general improvements too, so I decided to take the plunge once again.

This game is simply fantastic. It's a different twist on the genre. It's more about having a home base, managing your group of survivors, your resources, scavenging supplies, where you choose to have your outposts, form allies or enemies with other humans, the list goes on. All your suvivors have different traits which differenciate them, which you could level up and develop further, and these survivors might even send you on missions for their personal interests There's minimal story in the game, but in return you get to decide and form your own story. A lot of RPG-type mechanics at play here.
There's a morale system. If you leave your resources depleted, let too many zombie infestations form nearby, have a survivor die, morale will obviously go down. This has effects like fights starting between members, people leaving your base.

- Every decision of yours carries weight in the game. You really have to think carefully before doing anything in the game. For example, you want install a generator to give power to your house? You could, but it's noisy, thus having more zombies attack your house. How about moving into a new base? This new one is pretty big, but it's out in the middle of nowhere and you have to drive a significant distance to gather suppplies. But on the good side, it's rural location means less zombie seiges. How about exiling a guy who munches on too much food every day due to their traits, but in turn your community morale goes down. It's a game of decision-making.

- The night. One of the few games I've ever played that truly nails the darkness. It's very atmospheric, and creepy as hell, as you can only see how far you flashflight goes, a lot of the times. Then entiring a new building and seeing you a pair of glowing yellow eyes and hearing that low zombie grumble.. awesome.

- Permadeath. A survivor dies, you never getting them back. Raises the stakes quite a bit, and may make you want to just sneak past a horde of zombies instead of going guns blazing. It makes each supply run more tense then it normally would be. Maybe you encounter a juggernaut (a giant ass zombie) that literally rips you in half. Or maybe catch the blood plague, where you have a timer before the survivor dies, unless you cure them.

- A believeable world. (Aside from the abundant bugs), it feels like a grounded and believeable place. The game consists of 3 maps that are somewhat different, but have the same formula of a mix of small suburban type town and rural area. You can enter every single building in the entire game. Though the biggest point here, is how the loot isn't randomly dispersed throughout. You have to look at the context at what location it is. For example, clinics have medical supplies, restaurants are more likely to have food. Retail shops are likely to have luxury items, while factories have materials to build from. Police stations and military checkpoints have loads of ammo.

I could go on about the game forever. But I'm not good at explaining, as you see in this wall of text above.

However, it does have it's problems. It's still has quite a few bugs (though much less than it was at launch, now it's certainly very playable). Animations could be MUCH better. The radio still goes off every 5 minutes of a stranger calling for help or a community member bitching at you for not finding his stupid song lyrics. Speaking of that, yes, a lot of the quests can feel fetch-questy at times, and a lot of the personal goal ones feel trivial at times (FIND MY TEDDY BEAR!) but then lead to a morale decrease if it isnt done, which is stupid. Human AI still needs quite a bit work to get it where it needs to be. Sometimes your companions say dialogue that makes no sense in the given situation. Yes, this game is supposed to be your own story (and I love it), but I think a bit more story in the game would do no harm, cause the game might feel aimless to people at times. Also, the paid DLC sucks, don't even bother with it.

However, it's nowhere close to that 67 metacritic it got. That apperently broken co-op mode (which I haven't touched) brought the score down, but the single-player is just sublime. Though I think marks were wrongly taken off for not having CINEMATIC GAMEPLAY™ and REALISTIC GRAPHICS (c'mon, it's a $30 game made on a significantly smaller budget than most AAA games, cut them some slack. Cause the graphics are a huge improvment over State of Decay 1 as well).

This game is an underrated gem, a definite reccomend from me. C'mon Microsoft, give Undead Labs the budget to create a full fledged $60 State of Decay 3. These guys have earned it, and franchise has huge potential. There is so much that I can think of that can truly take the game to next level. DO IT. It's gonna be a killer title in your next-gen exclusive library.

Cheers.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
Been playing this with my wife. In between losing my gun-laden main follower to a scavenger's baseball bat and losing my car to literally getting stuck diagonally on a fucking cut down tree trunk RIGHT next to my base, I've decided that I'm beyond trash like this...

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I adored the original but held off on SoD2 at launch due to the mentioned bugs. I just got 3 months gamepass for a $1 (au sale) and downloaded this game. Cant wait to see the improvements

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
It was so buggy at release to the point the dev implemented a button to get out of clipping.
We recently returned to it and it got much better.

I still prefer the first game. The quests have more story to them.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I got bored of State of Decay 2 incredibly fast due to the lack of story and how random everything felt.

Add to that the bugs, subpar graphics, etc. and I wasn't impressed at all.

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its definitely a 67. The game is unfinished plain and simple. Everything about it is unfleshed and structurally repetitive. The bugs remove any sense of realism or worldly perspective. Despite this, its mildly fun for the first few conquests, even in the janky ass co op

Feb 10, 2018
So the goal of the game is to create a safe self sufficient town?
While I do like base building and life simulating tasks (like in shenmue, Fable 2, RDR2) I think it needs to be complement with a story that involves different missions and overall purpose.

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
My wife is super into it and says the main point is that, like in Stardew Valley, it's not about what you are doing in the moment but the 10 small tasks that you are planning in your head in order to achieve bigger goals, and how you organize all that planning. A true hidden gem that now plays much better than a year ago.

I haven't played it yet, but I liked the first one a lot. It seemed to have more of a story, which the sequel misses although the characters are more human and individual.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Its definitely a 67. The game is unfinished plain and simple. Everything about it is unfleshed and structurally repetitive. The bugs remove any sense of realism or worldly perspective. Despite this, its mildly fun for the first few conquests, even in the janky ass co op
Im curious.
What makes you think everything is unfleshed? Is it because minimal story?

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
The bug-fixes brought it past the original, personally. I love this sort of resource-management action title, and not a lot do it better than SoD.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Been playing this with my wife. In between losing my gun-laden main follower to a scavenger's baseball bat and losing my car to literally getting stuck diagonally on a fucking cut down tree trunk RIGHT next to my base, I've decided that I'm beyond trash like this...

1) lol, thats the exact bug that made me drop the game at first, lost my best follower.
2) There's a radio command that gets you unstuck (and iirc its been there since launch)

Though its understandable why you call it trash, the game was rife with bugs.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
So the goal of the game is to create a safe self sufficient town?
While I do like base building and life simulating tasks (like in shenmue, Fable 2, RDR2) I think it needs to be complement with a story that involves different missions and overall purpose.
My argument for not having a story is that the game wants you to craft the story yourself. The way you craft the roleplay of Bethesda Game Studios game. Not every game has to have a in-depth TLOU like story, I would argue.

Well there is an overall purpose, it's to clear all the "plague hearts" (a huge beating heart that spawns blood plague zombies) within the map, doing some legacy mission that are dependent on what type of leader (there are 4 types), and then there's an ending (which I don't know about, havent fully completed the game). But there are infact quite a few missions (variety could be better but it's not THAT bad).

Last edited:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Loved the first game and enjoyed this one for what I played but man, the radio drove me NUTS.

It's the post-apocalypse, yet every five fucking minutes you got some survivor asking you to do an errand for this or that.

It makes no sense how every single person is connected with everyone and using radios. The radio should have been something that you had to work toward to build, get supplies for it, work on it, fix it up and THEN you unlock communication with some bigger camps, but not every-single-survivor, just a select few that also have access to a radio and then they should have used it sparingly to offer help, trade, or on a few occasions ask you for help with something.

To me the allure of a game like this and the setting is to fill alone and vulnerable, when you have every single person talking in your ear it takes away from this feeling drastically and makes the world feel small. You're constantly pulled in many directions and never feel like you can simply go out and explore/scavange because if you do that and ignore the calls you're screwing yourself over.

It's still an enjoyable game, but damn I wish they never added the radio, or at least wish they understand how damn annoying they made it.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Loved the first game and enjoyed this one for what I played but man, the radio drove me NUTS.

It's the post-apocalypse, yet every five fucking minutes you got some survivor asking you to do an errand for this or that.

It makes no sense how every single person is connected with everyone and using radios. The radio should have been something that you had to work toward to build, get supplies for it, work on it, fix it up and THEN you unlock communication with some bigger camps, but not every-single-survivor, just a select few that also have access to a radio and then they should have used it sparingly to offer help, trade, or on a few occasions ask you for help with something.

To me the allure of a game like this and the setting is to fill alone and vulnerable, when you have every single person talking in your ear it takes away from this feeling drastically and makes the world feel small. You're constantly pulled in many directions and never feel like you can simply go out and explore/scavange because if you do that and ignore the calls you're screwing yourself over.

It's still an enjoyable game, but damn I wish they never added the radio, or at least wish they understand how damn annoying they made it.
Agree on all counts here. It would be better if you what's going on when you return to base (like any fights, etc), you shouldn't know everything that is happening at the base while you're 50 miles out scavenging for food. It's the one thing that sometimes ruins the atmosphere.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019

Hm. Interesting. I like the game the way it is now, but that does sound like a in interesting alternative to the flow of the game now. Create a self-sufficient small community, then you get introduced to the larger factions. Part of those might be helping out their outposts or small survivors. Steal some of their talented people, but at a risk. I feel like I wanted there to be a bit more consequence in the world state than just the plague hearts. You're never really gonna get emergent wars between settlements or factions teaming up and what not.

That wouldn't be easy to make, but UL are clearly deep into simulation and interested in expanding all the time. I would love them to increase the fundamental scope and scale of the simulation.

Bwooduhs

Oct 25, 2017
Played quite bit and really enjoyed when it came out last year, unfortunately I had to put it down for some reason and haven't gone back. I'm sure my survivors are doing fine haha

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
State of Decay 2 was my entry point into the series (thanks to Game Pass no less).

I found it had many interesting gameplay hooks and features that could have done well, but was ultimately let down by production values (understandably) and a lack of story drive.

What I liked
- Gameplay loop is addictive if you get get into it. Resource gathering, base management and exploration.
- Cool world to explore, multiple maps
- Permadeath
- Vehicles
- Zombie variety

What I thought let it down
- Bugs galore
- Choppy animation
- Lack of story drive, protagonist should be customer made with companions being permadeath

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
It's definitely one of the Xbox franchises that i wanted to see get taken into inhouse development and i'm glad the people at Xbox Game Studios have done that with last years' acquisition. I liked my multiple playthroughs in sod2, but never managed to actually beat the campaign. Hopefully Undead Labs is gonna be able to get the right support for handling the sequel to sod2 since i'm really looking forward what they can do with more budget/support.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Did they change allied factions sometimes leaving entirely if you missed even a single one of their requests for help? I totally ignored other groups after that happened a few times. with a few rare exceptions of groups that actually added something special, most just weren't worth the maintenance anyway of having to completely ignore what you were doing to yet again just to go help an ally on the other side of the map with some pointless errand.

I was also disappointed at how little really happened at your home base. Almost everything, even the people you recruited, essentially translated to +1 base resource or something, there was too little uniqueness to play with.

Liked the random skill system of the survivors though. I'd definitely suggest picking up the game for cheap, but sadly, at least back when it came out, I was really done with it before my gamepass trial ran out. Didn't help that it was too easy and the only really cool things about the gameplay loop (like the bonuses for new game) just aggravated the issue because those just made it even easier. From what I've read they did at more difficulty modes now though.

Wasn't enamored with the DLC that was just a minigame that could be played outside the main campaign and could reward some items for it if you played it enough. Would've vastly preferred more work be done and implemented into the main campaign.

Last edited:

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Im curious.
What makes you think everything is unfleshed? Is it because minimal story?
The game encourages multiple playthroughs but the playthroughs don't introduce enough new mechanics. the full elimination of plague hearts doesn't enhance the world or being any real closure. Its essentially onto the next map.. and once I find out that all the character traits are not unique in the slightest I lost interest in developing my camp members

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
The game encourages multiple playthroughs but the playthroughs don't introduce enough new mechanics. the full elimination of plague hearts doesn't enhance the world or being any real closure. Its essentially onto the next map.. and once I find out that all the character traits are not unique in the slightest I lost interest in developing my camp members
Understandable. However, why should some mechanics be locked behind a second a third playthrough? That part I don't get.

Otherwise, I agree, the world should change more as you eliminate the plague hearts. Character traits? Do you expect a unique bunch for like all the 1000 potential suvivors you meet? That wouldn't make sense. There is bound to be overlap.

Wanace

Oct 29, 2017
I downloaded this on Game Pass and it felt exactly like the first game. Looked exactly like the first game too. I didn't really get the impression that it would be any different so I quit.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I had a real blast playing SoD2, loved it! Didn't understand the low review scores at all.

martnRULES

Apr 3, 2019
SoD1 is without a doubt on my personal top ten for Gen7. Unfortunately, I did not stick with SoD2 for no where near as long as SoD1. It felt incomplete, and a little too janky for my liking.

It's good to hear that it's more polished now than when it was at launch. How is it on the content front?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
Biggest issues were bugs, and being a bit less difficult than SoD1. Maybe I'm just awesome, but I only lost one survivor.

Gonna do another full play through when the SoD1 map is added.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
Biggest issues were bugs, and being a bit less difficult than SoD1. Maybe I'm just awesome, but I only lost one survivor.

It's not just you. I only lost two survivors on several playthroughs. One because I was driving in a car and hit one of those toxic bomb things and the guy who was with me got out and just stayed in the cloud and died. The other I found a survivor I didn't care for and suicided him on a big guy to see how that went.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
It's not just you. I only lost two survivors on several playthroughs. One because I was driving in a car and hit one of those toxic bomb things and the guy who was with me got out and just stayed in the cloud and died. The other I found a survivor I didn't care for and suicided him on a big guy to see how that went.

1) Well good news, they added two harder difficulty modes just recently
2) There are still quite a few bugs, but it's MILES better than what it was at launch. Though it's still a pretty janky game.

Pheace

Aug 23, 2018
1) Well good news, they added two harder difficulty modes just recently
2) There are still quite a few bugs, but it's MILES better than what it was at launch. Though it's still a pretty janky game.
Yeah that's why I mentioned that above. I haven't actually played since the trial I did back at launch. It's good they added difficulty modes, though really, they should've been there from the start. The game needed it at launch. Most people who burned out seemed to burn out because it was too easy.

To be honest, I was half expecting them to have left it out to release (sell) a breakdown style DLC later. At least that didn't happen.

I enjoyed the game when I played it back then, but honestly, mostly because I enjoyed 1. 2 was nice, and felt like it had some nice little improvements, but it felt like it's main new feature was coop, which was lost on me. I was also worried that's why there was less story than I had expected and why the survivor group mechanic was a little bland.

One of my other big gripes though was the Kill 10 hearts main quest, do 2 or 3 steps and yer done, time to move on to the next map and do it all over. It was way too simplistic and nothing really progressed while you were doing it. The most interesting stuff was on the radio, and you weren't a part of that at all.

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
when was last time you played? its improved

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Understandable. However, why should some mechanics be locked behind a second a third playthrough? That part I don't get.

Otherwise, I agree, the world should change more as you eliminate the plague hearts. Character traits? Do you expect a unique bunch for like all the 1000 potential suvivors you meet? That wouldn't make sense. There is bound to be overlap.
The only benefit to beating the game was the opportunity to beat it again. If the story/plot is minimal I personally think there should be more stat boosts or incentives besides experience. And unique traits like at least more trait slots / the ability to have deeper improvements or something. New and tougher camps or challenges. Something like that.
when was last time you played? its improved
I played it a few weeks after Breakdown released. I will probably try it again because like I said it was fun. I just couldn't keep going back to it.

OP
OP

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Then let me clarify: It doesn't look like an Xbox One game that was released last year. Compared to some of the other titles out there this one is not graphically impressive and the UI is nearly identical to that of the first game.
Agreed, the game graphically looks mediocre ( although its much better that SoD 1)
Though I think the with the budget they had, they were unable to push graphics too much further. Also it's a half price game, is it fair to compare it to full fledged AAA games?

I hope SoD3 is full fledged AAA game that gets the budget it needs, not just to get better graphics, but even more fleshed out gameplay mechanics and systems.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
1) lol, thats the exact bug that made me drop the game at first, lost my best follower.
2) There's a radio command that gets you unstuck (and iirc its been there since launch)

Though its understandable why you call it trash, the game was rife with bugs.
The game itself isn't trash, just those particular bugs. I'm gonna look for that radio command and see if I can hopefully rekindle my interest in the game...for bae, of course...

Smokey

Oct 25, 2017
Played this primarily on PC where I could get 60fps. I enjoyed it, despite it being flawed. Been actually wanting to go back to it as of late.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
It was on my top ten the year it Came out besides the bugs and the motion blur my main complaint was that it got too easy, luckily the heartland dlc has fixed that it's much harder and since there are only a few bespoke characters you can't really lose anyone
I had to restart it after I lost over half of my colony over 2 Ill fated missions (RIP Malik)
Those blood juggernauts are nigh invulnerable and when a blood feral comes around as well forget about it