• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So, it's been a rough couple of weeks, and I was needing some comfort food TV. Netflix popped SG-1 into my queue, and I went "sure, why the hell not." I'd seen the whole series before, but it's episodic, pretty easy to rewatch, and I figured why not? In my memory, I thought of it as a decent but problematic and kinda formulaic show. And to an extent, it is. The early stuff with Carter in particular is profoundly clumsy and kinda embarassing, it's very hoo-rah about the Air Force, and there's some weird and kind of embarrassing stereotypes in the early seasons when a lot of the episodes were them going to various formerly-Go'auld occupied worlds. And the less said about the Replicators' CGI the better. But overall, I'm just kinda impressed with how well it holds up overall, most notably in how it handles the civilian vs. military stuff and the driving force of the plot as the show goes on.

While it's certainly enthusiastic about the military (how could it not be, given the pitch), it also doesn't ever really shy away from repeatedly putting a spotlight on how Daniel and the other cultural experts (and Hammond) are keeping the SGC moral, contrasting it strongly with the shady intelligence agency stereotype over at the NID. Kinsey rolls in and certainly comes off as the "ugh stupid bureaucrats getting in the way of what has to be done!", but over time it resolves into a much clearer picture - Kinsey wraps himself in the cloak of accountability and responsible behavior, but his ties to the NID show him as just being a regular hypocrite. Other political and civilian figures are much more sympathetic, often contrasting with characters like O'Neill, who's too quick to write off the soft touch approach.

And while the show certainly is episodic, I'd forgotten how damn continuity dense it is. Characters and events from seemingly one-off episodes will get referenced or even focused on seasons later. The core conceit of the show - that they're going out there to find allies and resources and technology to defend earth - gives them a good reason to bring back past bits of weirdness that in a Star Trek TNG type show would normally just be forgotten. The virtual reality planet gave us Teal'c stuck in a video game literally 3+ seasons later, the time they got turned into robots had the robots come back. Teal'c also apparently learned how to drive when they got thrown back in time to 1969 (which formed the basis of a later time travel episode, too!).

And then there's the stuff I remembered it doing well, like characters (Christopher Judge does not get enough credit for Teal'c, dude is fantastic) and the march of the SGC's technology. I just watched the ep where they show off gate-fired missiles, where the Go'auld reacts to being painted with a targeting laser by... trying to flick it off of their shirt. That shit is FUNNY, and it highlights how far they've come from early eps where they were just barely figuring out how to take the fight back to the snakes. SG-1 definitely has its problems, and I'm not gonna try to defend them from those. But overall? I'm very pleased to go back to a show I remembered fondly and find that it's actually as good as I remember it was.

Last edited:

Nerdcy

Oct 27, 2017
I agree. There are some problematic content but as a whole I think it has held up a lot better than some other shows from that time.

I unfortunately I always struggle rewatching past season seven. Just loses my interest because I know the dynamic of the team changes so much in the later seasons.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. There are some problematic content but as a whole I think it has held up a lot better than some other shows from that time.

I unfortunately I always struggle rewatching past season seven. Just loses my interest because I know the dynamic of the team changes so much in the later seasons.
Series 8 is a great 'final season' in my opinion. S9 and 10 feel like an ok spin off.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'll definitely say about Stargate SG-1 is that it's very satisfying to watch the program develop over time and while all the conceits of the show you bring up (especially the militarism angle) are there, and pronounced, it is far easier to get over than one would initially think going in skeptical. Im definitely due for a rewatch.

Obligatory:

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Oh RIGHT, how did I forget - Wormhole X-Treme is the funniest shit ever to appear on a sci-fi TV show. Change my mind.

Jan 4, 2018
One of the best shows ever (too bad the end got rushed like that though).

Also, Apophis > the other System Lords.

And this scene was so good

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
At least SG1 got a proper finale movie to finish off the story, I still feel quite empty about Atlantis. Like, that was so sudden and I loved that series. It should have had 2 more seasons.

SG1 is a great show to go back into, and the fact that the characters learned from past episodes and tried to repeat things from happening was pretty cool.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I find it good breezy tv. The formula plays out, Daniel Jackson goes off on an tangent, Carter explains it to O Neill, and he says something snarky. In a good way.. but I fall asleep.
TV was so great when this, Burn Notice, SGA, White Collar, and Psych were on the air

Watership

Oct 27, 2017
At least SG1 got a proper finale movie to finish off the story, I still feel quite empty about Atlantis. Like, that was so sudden and I loved that series. It should have had 2 more seasons.

SG1 is a great show to go back into, and the fact that the characters learned from past episodes and tried to repeat things from happening was pretty cool.
I'm really sad about Stargate: Atlantis. The show was fantastic, but was interfered with so much in the last 2 seasons and then cut down.

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com

That awful Las Vegas Atlantis episode was sad being one of the final episodes. It's the only episode of the whole franchise I actually hate.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Just started a rewatch and am enjoying it for the most part. Season 1 sure has some rough spots regarding women, like them telling Sam to not interfere with a caveman (touched) who was going to rape a woman and telling Sam to go along with the culture that treats women like property almost back to back. The stripping women down and objectifying them wasn't great either, but I suppose you could say he's the bad guy so he's gonna do that, though I've never been a fan of that defense when the filmmaker chooses to show it.

TV was so great when this, Burn Notice, SGA, White Collar, and Psych were on the air

Really liked Burn Notice and Psych. Psych needs a revival series already.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Just a heads up, Stargate SG-1 was released to Blu-Ray about 3 weeks ago.
It's such a new release that I can't find any screenshots or YouTube videos on it, but if you're starting the series from scratch it might be the best way to view it.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
God, what a run. I miss my Blue Skies procedurals. At least Leverage is coming back.

TBH I was thinking about all those others while I was watching SG-1 - I'd never grouped them together before, but now I think I would. Just colorful characters, easy viewing, fun stories.
Really liked Burn Notice and Psych. Psych needs a revival series already.
Agreed. I'm enjoying the movies, but it's just not the same.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
Wasn't there an episode where someone found out about the Stargate project and this person later died in a car "accident"? It wasn't anyone from the Stargate Center, Hammond didn't find out who it was if I remember right. I was surprised the show didn't shy away from this.

Also the episode where Tealc stands trial because he killed someone's dad under Apophis' orders was some heavy stuff.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there an episode where someone found out about the Stargate project and this person later died in a car "accident"? It wasn't anyone from the Stargate Center, Hammond didn't find out who it was if I remember right. I was surprised the show didn't shy away from this.

Also the episode where Tealc stands trial because he killed someone's dad under Apophis' orders was some heavy stuff.
Yeah, the NID/Earth politics episodes in particular shit gets kinda real.
Oh man, the puppets... I'd remembered that X-Treme came back in 200, along with the Farscape bit (getting Ben Browder AND Claudia Black demanded it, I should rewatch that next), but I somehow forgot the puppets.

Something to look forwards to.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017

I think it was Joe? (random guy connected by seeing stones that they use in later episodes/ SGU) think it was a season 6 or 8 episode.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the middle of a rewatch as well, only in season 3, and I completely agree. One of the things I like is how long it takes for the Stargate program technology to ramp up. They don't recover some tech and then next episode they've reversed engineered it and are deploying their own version. Now obviously things do ramp up because by the end of the series Earth has it's own starships and stuff, but it took a while to get there.

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
I think it was Joe? (random guy connected by seeing stones that they use in later episodes/ SGU) think it was a season 6 or 8 episode.
Nah, Joe gets his life ruined, but it works out in the end. By the later seasons SG-1 had perfected the art of the clip show. "Citizen Joe" is awesome.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
For me the Anubis story arc is still the highlight of the 10 seasons. The initial foreshadowing, the reveal, the conflict, the tragedy, the return of a certain character, and the culmination with the final battle.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the middle of a rewatch as well, only in season 3, and I completely agree. One of the things I like is how long it takes for the Stargate program technology to ramp up. They don't recover some tech and then next episode they've reversed engineered it and are deploying their own version. Now obviously things do ramp up because by the end of the series Earth has it's own starships and stuff, but it took a while to get there.

I kind of feel the other way. We ended up with ships in an incredibly short time. But I liked the ships so I'm not complaining.

Pharaun

Oct 27, 2017
I kind of feel the other way. We ended up with ships in an incredibly short time. But I liked the ships so I'm not complaining.

I get what your saying, once it does start it kind of snowballs. But it takes a bit to start, I'm in the middle of season 3 now and nothing has really happened yet.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Oh RIGHT, how did I forget - Wormhole X-Treme is the funniest shit ever to appear on a sci-fi TV show. Change my mind.

Whatever.

"Window of Opportunity" is the best episode of SG-1.

It has both a serious undertone (dealing with death of a family member) as well as the funniest line in the series.

This episode is SG-1 in a nutshell.

Hol' up - Baal was a system lord

Baal was a fun baddie, but he was never that threatening.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else realize Stargate SG-1 came out on BR just a couple weeks ago? I didn't even realize it got announced.

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017

Wasn't that the tech guy who showed an empty Asgard host off and they tried to discredit him but he wouldn't stop so ended up getting hit by a car.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Farscape was still much better.

(yes, all these years later, i'm still gutted that it was cancelled in favor of more Stargate)

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't that the tech guy who showed an empty Asgard host off and they tried to discredit him but he wouldn't stop so ended up getting hit by a car.
Naw, different thing, I think. The first guy was a reporter, the tech guy with the asgard clone had his best friend since childhood/business partner get the screws put to him by the Trust, then was implied to have been killed or committed suicide. The tech guy himself got put into offworld witsec.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Also, Apophis > the other System Lords.

eaab85eec4b1980429c9cac239355e89.gif

Ba'al was much better, although he became a bit of a comic relief towards the end of the series. The movie with him is very good though.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah it's good. As people can tell from my other thread I'm rewatching it also.

FYI: Amazon Prime has better, higher resolution/bitrate transfers than Netflix so you should watch it there if you have both.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
Farscape was still much better.

(yes, all these years later, i'm still gutted that it was cancelled in favor of more Stargate)
I love both shows but Stargate was already planning a movie (that became Stargate Atlantis series) so it makes a little sense to go side with the IP that has a blockbuster movie as it's source vs one that was designed to prove that the Henson Company could do more than the Muppets.

Farscape however is superior overall.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
I've been buying each season on prime as I finish the last. Currently halfway through season 7, I forgot how sudden the introduction of the x303 was... I was hoping for more buildup of tech first.

OP
OP
Poodlestrike

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I've been buying each season on prime as I finish the last. Currently halfway through season 7, I forgot how sudden the introduction of the x303 was... I was hoping for more buildup of tech first.
Really? I thought it was great how they went through the X301, X302 (which didn't even work the first try), the hostage situation with the Prometheus, and then it's still a whole season before it's flying and actually operational.

E: This thing in Citizen Joe where someone in the writer's room clearly went "wait, shouldn't Jack have been seeing snippets of Joe's life for the last 7 years too" and the answer is literally just "he never bothered to mention it" is deeply hilarious to me for some reason.

Last edited: