• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I could see an SSX reboot (a proper one) being 60 bucks. But a 30 dollar downloadable title? I'd buy that.

Glassjaw

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So as of 3 this afternoon it still won't let me play my downloaded copy. Assuming this is still a known issue. Reset the Xbox etc. Every other game works no issues. Bummer I was looking forward to playing this.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Best SSX.

Unlike the other 3 from that gen, it hasn't aged poorly.

A decent graphical upgrade (even though it still looks great) and it would fit right in with this generation.

BuddyC

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but how do folks feel about playing these games on a 360/Xone controller versus a DualShock? I only ever played Trick, SSX3, and On Tour on PS2 and I adored how it felt on the controller. But with SSX3 going backwards compat, I'm tempted to pick it up on Xbox One but bumpers and triggers vs shoulder buttons is a change I've never had to get used to before.

I'm in the same boat as you, and ended up using the Xbox Accessories app to remap buttons on the Elite controller and recreate the old PlayStation 2 control scheme. The moment I did, muscle memory kicked in and it all clicked.

Deleted member 2171

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This might be a dumb question, but how do folks feel about playing these games on a 360/Xone controller versus a DualShock? I only ever played Trick, SSX3, and On Tour on PS2 and I adored how it felt on the controller. But with SSX3 going backwards compat, I'm tempted to pick it up on Xbox One but bumpers and triggers vs shoulder buttons is a change I've never had to get used to before.

So, different for me - I played (and still played in the last 6 months) SSX3 on the GameCube, to the point I can absolutely destroy the game. It does take a bit to get used to playing the Xbox version, as looking around, SSX3 essentially has damn near 3 different control schemes depending on which console you played it on.

So far, the benefit for me over the GameCube version is reset is no longer a face button (I still don't know why EA did that for the GC games - they put reset on Y, so accidental resets were somewhat common, when they could have made it a pause menu option). I'm basically flopping around like a snowboarder that just drank 2 cases of beer, but I think I'll get the hang of it.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I forgot this was also released on XBO. The new SSX didn't feel the same. A bit too realistic maybe?
Oh the nostalgia.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Is there an obvious advantage between using either the normal or pro control scheme (like, are there tricks and techniques you can perform that are exclusive to a certain one), or is it entirely down to preference?

OP
OP
LossAversion

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Is there an obvious advantage between using either the normal or pro control scheme (like, are there tricks and techniques you can perform that are exclusive to a certain one), or is it entirely down to preference?
Personally, I can't stand using the analog stick to control my flips and spins. It feels way too loose and imprecise. I'm sure you could get used to either one but I don't think the pro scheme has any sort of advantage over the default scheme.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Right, thanks. I'll stick to default then.
I don't want to sound all 'I'm casual and need games to hold my hand constantly.', but is there anywhere in game to learn how to actually play lol?
I've figured that a is jump, the right stick tilts my board, the bumpers let me handstand on rails, and the d pad does tricks. I know that right trigger and the other face buttons grab the board. Are they different, or is it just mapped to multiple buttons?

OP
OP
LossAversion

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Right, thanks. I'll stick to default then.
I don't want to sound all 'I'm casual and need games to hold my hand constantly.', but is there anywhere in game to learn how to actually play lol?
I've figured that a is jump, the right stick tilts my board, the bumpers let me handstand on rails, and the d pad does tricks. I know that right trigger and the other face buttons grab the board. Are they different, or is it just mapped to multiple buttons?
That's interesting. If I recall correctly the Xbox and Gamecube controls were a lot different than the PS2 controls because they both lacked four trigger buttons at the time. On the PS2, all of the triggers are used for grabs and tricks while things like the handstand and boost are mapped to the face buttons. I wish I could help you more but I've only ever played the PS2 version.

Even with those control differences though, "practice makes perfect" should still apply. You can free ride down all of the tracks in the game without worrying about winning an event. When you're pulling up to the start of a track, avoid the starting gate and follow the blue sign that says "free ride/ big challenge". Then you can practice the controls and all of the nuances of the game in peace. I think there are a lot of nice tips and tricks in the menu somewhere as well. Should be under messages or something like that.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
That's interesting. If I recall correctly the Xbox and Gamecube controls were a lot different than the PS2 controls because they both lacked four trigger buttons at the time. On the PS2, all of the triggers are used for grabs and tricks while things like the handstand and boost are mapped to the face buttons. I wish I could help you more but I've only ever played the PS2 version.

Even with those control differences though, "practice makes perfect" should still apply. You can free ride down all of the tracks in the game without worrying about winning an event. When you're pulling up to the start of a track, avoid the starting gate and follow the blue sign that says "free ride/ big challenge". Then you can practice the controls and all of the nuances of the game in peace. I think there are a lot of nice tips and tricks in the menu somewhere as well. Should be under messages or something like that.

Right, I'll check the messages then, thanks.
I sort of have a hang of it now. I also realised that big swirly bar on the right is a boost, which was explaining why I was coming so far behind everyone at first lol.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Right, I'll check the messages then, thanks.
I sort of have a hang of it now. I also realised that big swirly bar on the right is a boost, which was explaining why I was coming so far behind everyone at first lol.

Also, if you spell out S U P E R U B E R the boost becomes infinite, so it's imperative to get your ubers in as soon as possible

Also, don't spend money on anything other than improving stats until maxed out. Maxed out stat SSX3 is best SSX3.

Grassclipper

Oct 26, 2017
Ever since this thread was posted I've gone down the rabbit hole of looking at videos from the game. Next time I get the chance I'm gonna dig out my PS2 and the game and start shredding.

SoulFinger74

Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
God I love this game. So glad it's finally working. Ha ha. The racing segments are some of the best racing experiences I've ever had in a video game. I absolutely love the camera ... the sense of speed (especially around corners) is so satisfying. And the game looks and plays excellent on the S. I'm looking forward to eventually picking up an X, but this has me more than satisfied for the moment.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never change, SSX3. Get up to a 90x multiplier and a random pebble makes you bail out.

I also remembered that the last race up on Peak 3 is either mean or glitched and some of the grints will grind you right down into the cliff reset areas, lol

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any tutorial video in YouTube about the tricks or something? The game explains little. I know you gotta do presses to keep the combo going between tricks but little else.

OP
OP
LossAversion

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Is there any tutorial video in YouTube about the tricks or something? The game explains little. I know you gotta do presses to keep the combo going between tricks but little else.
In slopestyle events, you don't need to worry about chaining your tricks together until you've learned the tracks. You can still get gold on pretty much every event without using the board press. You lose way too much momentum and control when you use the board press and you need that momentum and control to properly line up your big jumps. You'll get far more points for holding a huge uber trick than you will for even a pretty lengthy combo. You want to focus on getting big air, building up your uber meter as fast as possible, and going for all the multipliers scattered around the track.

You can build up to UBER in a single jump if it's large enough. Alternate between your two fastest uber tricks as many times as you can in one big jump. If you have 3 letters towards UBER, a good tactic would be to do as many normal ubers as you can off of the next big air you get. Since the normal ubers are a lot faster than super ubers, you can get multiple letters towards SUPER just using the normal ubers. When you are doing your tricks in the air, make sure that you are rotating diagonally. You get far more points for a trick when you are spinning and flipping and you can do both at the same time when you hold the d-pad diagonally.

The most important thing is learning the tracks. Eventually you will learn the best routes and when it would be appropriate to build up combos without losing too much momentum.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just need to reiterate how much better this trick system is from the SSX reboot. In that one you just endlessly spammed tricks and as long as you let go of the button befor you landed you were fine.

Here, if you pull a high tier trick at the wrong time you are punished. The trick events here feel so much better.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Nailing big tricks on the Super Pipe is one of the single greatest feelings in gaming, hands down. Holy shit, it feels good to be back in SSX3.

Escapist

Oct 29, 2017
I absolutely loved SSX3 and I was craving for something to scratch that itch over the winter. I picked up On Tour, which I never owned as a kid because I heard of the bad reviews, and I honestly loved it. There is obviously a 10 year gap between when I played SSX3 and On Tour so its hard to compare the two, but I really do think On Tour holds up better than people remember. I do miss the characters though and being able to fly through all the peaks. But on the GameCube version you can play as Mario!

SSX for the Wii was SO terrible though. Was it even made by the same team? I refuse to believe they could come up with something like that.

Lets be real though, an SSX3 remake in the style of Crash and Spyro probably wouldn't be as great as we think. The licensing for the music would be a nightmare.

c0Zm1c

Oct 25, 2017
I liked On Tour back in the day and I still do. I hope it gets backwards compatibility on Xbox One along with Tricky eventually. I probably would have liked Blur too if it wasn't for the poor motion controls. Activating tricks was so hit and miss.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved SSX3 and I was craving for something to scratch that itch over the winter. I picked up On Tour, which I never owned as a kid because I heard of the bad reviews, and I honestly loved it. There is obviously a 10 year gap between when I played SSX3 and On Tour so its hard to compare the two, but I really do think On Tour holds up better than people remember. I do miss the characters though and being able to fly through all the peaks. But on the GameCube version you can play as Mario!

SSX for the Wii was SO terrible though. Was it even made by the same team? I refuse to believe they could come up with something like that.

Lets be real though, an SSX3 remake in the style of Crash and Spyro probably wouldn't be as great as we think. The licensing for the music would be a nightmare.

Keep in mind they've already re-licensed all of SSX3's tracks to even be selling it digitally.

Tricky is the one that's probably going to be stuck in limbo due to all those actor voices.

CamoKitty

Oct 26, 2017
Why not just release a whole EA BIG HD collection. Would love to play some SSX and NBA street again.

Deleted member 2171

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, gonna be honest. I finally stopped playing 3 (again), and I remember why. While the game is mechanically fun, and great to play, the end game is terrible. The obtuse way to find all the challenges (you can session to get to them faster, though), finding all the snowflake collectibles, it turns into a slog. And it's made worse by the fact that characters DO NOT SHARE their Big Challenges or Snowflake findings, meaning to max out every character you have to scour the entire mountain 15 or something times, no thanks. It's kinda weird because the characters are almost set up like they were meant to be different 'profiles' for everyone sharing the console in the house (especially since they're mostly generic across each other outside of height), but then they have separate saves, so.. yeah. I want to complete everyone's stats but it's more annoying because I'm not able to mentally track which one collected what.

If SSX3 comes back remade, they need to fix the endgame. Or at least make it so collectibles are cross-character.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
SSX 3 was incredible because it made me feel like I was really in Blackcomb/Whistler ski resort.
The powder physics felt so lush and you could sense the speed depending on how deep or shallow your board was, relative to the amount of snow.

Wish there would be a PS5 remade/remaster that combines all the best elements of Tricky and SSX 3

Salty AF

Oct 30, 2017
I wanted to get my son a Switch so we could play some Mario Kart together during quarantine. As everyone knows, you can't find one for under $550 bucks so I jumped on the Xbox Store and snagged SSX 3 for $10. I remembered playing the first game way back in the day. Holy shit SSX 3 is insanely fun. Can't get over how good the game feels and the map is MASSIVE. I hope they do a remake - 60 FPS and keep it ultra smooth just like the original.