• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
yeah I figured. I assume that it gives the actors something to do while others are talking.

especially if the scene has other people entering or exiting the apartment. like. George will eat an apple while jerry and Kramer are talking, since George will have something to say before, and after Kramer enters the apartment.

I dunno there's gotta be something to it. Many other sitcoms have multiple people involved with a scene that aren't eating all the time. I swear there's something going on. lol

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This show always makes me smile, no matter what episode. I really need to rewatch this full. Mostly caught many bits and pieces on TV way back. Eventually bought all season DVD releases and was going through them years ago, but stopped around 6 or 7 because I didn't have time at the moment and then didn't really continue. A lot of references to past episodes I didn't catch until watching them in order.
I remember liking the Parking Garage and that Puerto Rican Day episode, or maybe they just stand out in memory because they didn't take place in the usual sets,

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Its my favorite show of all time, I can always watch it. Since the show ended in 1998, I've never once got bored of watching repeats.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno there's gotta be something to it. Many other sitcoms have multiple people involved with a scene that aren't eating all the time. I swear there's something going on. lol

I feel like I remember some of the cast mentioning that they had to make up their own actions while not the center of attention (I think they called it "business?"), because the scripts focused solely on the dialogue.

So they would work together to come up with stuff like eating, reading, etc. because it was too weird to have them sitting around doing nothing.

Feb 15, 2018
I'm not only talking about background characters but the main characters as well. I swear 80% of the show has someone eating.

Maybe it's to stop them laughing? Jerry looks like he's about to burst out loud in pretty much every scene. He's probably the weakest actor of the main guys. Not that he's bad, far from it, but the rest are so good

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
Best show of all time.

It's a shame though it's so hard to introduce someone to it. It's humor is very specific, you have to know and love those characters to understand why what they're doing is funny. Also, its full of american references.

I resigned to forever be the only person I know that loves it.

Feb 15, 2018
That's why the bloopers are so good. You can see that they're genuinely having a good time.

The Always Sunny guys have the best bloopers. It's almost funnier than the real show

Best show of all time.

It's a shame though it's so hard to introduce someone to it. It's humor is very specific, you have to know and love those characters to understand why what they're doing is funny. Also, its full of american references.

I resigned to forever be the only person I know that loves it.

There's like 1 person in this thread who doesn't like it haha. Probably more people love it than you realise

Just about everyone in IRL who I talk to loves the show

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
There's like 1 person in this thread who doesn't like it haha. Probably more people love it than you realise

Just about everyone in IRL who I talk to loves the show
If this poster's comment is anything to go by, he/she's not from America, and Seinfeld is virtually unknown to anyone not living in an English speaking country (I never heard of it before joining NeoGAF back in the day tbh)

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
100% the funniest show of all time.

However I recognize that it has now become dated and I wouldn't expect a Millennial to understand how funny it is.

Disagree.
I'm 24 and i relate to most stuff really, wether its struggling with employment, dating, living with parents and whatnot. It's all timeless stuff, even when you take into account period-based contexts.
Hell, most Seinfeld situations would work just as well if you were to swap the thing for something of our age.

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree.
I'm 24 and i relate to most stuff really, wether its struggling with employment, dating, living with parents and whatnot. It's all timeless stuff, even when you take into account period-based contexts.
Hell, most Seinfeld situations would work just as well if you were to swap the thing for something of our age.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Disagree.

Yes, Seinfeld is totally timeless. There are just some context-sensitive jokes (baseball players etc.) but most things are pretty existential.

Also, millenials go back as far as '82 I think.

Oct 28, 2017
"Jerry, it's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner's here. George is dead. Call me back."

I can laugh at this all day.

SM0KE

Oct 27, 2017
"Isn't the president allowed to do anything they want?"

"Can I fire you?"

Why do I get the feeling that the actual president of the United States is asking the very same questions that a fictional character asked as part of a hilarious segment on a comedy show?

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread got me in another Seinfeld clip Youtube hole

That flashback scene to Elain's dancing is so good. The way the flute player stops playing and Jerry's expression of shock, I love it

Jumpman64

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Great show but it's funny thinking so many episodes couldn't be done now since the regular use of cell phones.

In fact most 90's sitcoms storylines couldn't be used due to everyone now having a cellphone.

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
"Because the mail never stops. It just keeps coming and coming and coming. There's never a letup, it's relentless. Every day it piles up more and more, and you gotta get it out, but the more you get out, the more it keeps coming in! And then the bar code reader breaks! And then it's Publisher's Clearinghouse day!" -Newman

1FTQ.gif

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Has anybody brought up that Seinfeld is even better when you watch it in order because of all the callbacks from previous episodes that stack up throughout the shows run?

Seriously it's one of my fav things about it. Just take Rochelle Rochelle (erotic journey from Milan to Minsk), one episode they end up seeing in in the cinema, later on theres another episode where George rents it on video. Then i think the next season there episode where Bette Midler is staring in the Musical. Just genius.

markhimself

Nov 6, 2017
Boston, MA
"Jerry, it's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner's here. George is dead. Call me back."

I can laugh at this all day.

*Steinbrenner telling the Costanzas that their son is dead*

FRANK: "What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?!? He had 30 home runs, and over 100 RBIs last year. He's got a rocket for an arm. You don't know what the hell you're doin'!"

EDIT: In addition to the Seinfeld podcast someone mentioned here--Seincast--there's also a great book that came out a few years ago about the impact the show has on pop culture still to this day. It's an awesome read and has some neat behind-the-scenes stories.

https://www.amazon.com/Seinfeldia-A...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1525785285&sr=8-1

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
"Isn't the president allowed to do anything they want?"

"Can I fire you?"

Why do I get the feeling that the actual president of the United States is asking the very same questions that a fictional character asked as part of a hilarious segment on a comedy show?

That's what power does to people, Elaine lost control.

*Steinbrenner telling the Costanzas that their son is dead*

FRANK: "What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?!? He had 30 home runs, and over 100 RBIs last year. He's got a rocket for an arm. You don't know what the hell you're doin'!"

EDIT: In addition to the Seinfeld podcast someone mentioned here--Seincast--there's also a great book that came out a few years ago about the impact the show has on pop culture still to this day. It's an awesome read and has some neat behind-the-scenes stories.

https://www.amazon.com/Seinfeldia-A...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1525785285&sr=8-1

I read it. If you're a fan, I can totally recommend it. Lots of background info and trivia, very relatable if you know your Seinfeld. Let me fall asleep with a smile every night.

SeinLanguage is also my little travel companion, just a tiny book collection of his jokes. Lots of Seinfeld callbacks.

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously it's one of my fav things about it. Just take Rochelle Rochelle (erotic journey from Milan to Minsk), one episode they end up seeing in in the cinema, later on theres another episode where George rents it on video. Then i think the next season there episode where Bette Midler is staring in the Musical. Just genius.
I love how the movies usually feature Larry David's voice doing some ridiculous dialogue.

Feb 15, 2018
Great show but it's funny thinking so many episodes couldn't be done now since the regular use of cell phones.

In fact most 90's sitcoms storylines couldn't be used due to everyone now having a cellphone.

On the same tack, It's funny how in the show Jerry always gets dates and very rarely you see him asking for the girls number, which wouldn't have even been a cell either.

It's just 'So you wanna go out? Great, i'll pick you up at 8!' haha

Quixzlizx

Oct 25, 2017
Has anybody brought up that Seinfeld is even better when you watch it in order because of all the callbacks from previous episodes that stack up throughout the shows run?

Some of my favorites:

Art Vandelay

Dr. Van Nostrand

George talking in the third person after he meets Jimmy

Jerry referring to George as Biff Loman when he's unemployed

"Who is this?" used to troll each other when talking on the phone

Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Some of my favorites:

Art Vandelay

Dr. Van Nostrand

George talking in the third person after he meets Jimmy

Jerry referring to George as Biff Loman when he's unemployed

"Who is this?" used to troll each other when talking on the phone

Although I'm not a huge fan of the post-David seasons, I do enjoy the meeting of H.E. Pennypacker, Kel Varnsen (presumably the owner of Vandelay Industries), and Art Vandelay at the apartment open house in the Puerto Rican Day Parade episode.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
"Because the mail never stops. It just keeps coming and coming and coming. There's never a letup, it's relentless. Every day it piles up more and more, and you gotta get it out, but the more you get out, the more it keeps coming in! And then the bar code reader breaks! And then it's Publisher's Clearinghouse day!" -Newman

1FTQ.gif

Haha Jesus I need to watch it again. I'm laughing hard just reading that Newman monologue.

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Although I'm not a huge fan of the post-David seasons, I do enjoy the meeting of H.E. Pennypacker, Kel Varnsen (presumably the owner of Vandelay Industries), and Art Vandelay at the apartment open house in the Puerto Rican Day Parade episode.

JERRY: Vandelay. Wait a second. Mr. Pennypacker, if you're here, and Mr. Vandelay is also here, then who's watching the factory?

KRAMER: The factory?

JERRY: The Saab factory?

KRAMER: Jerry, that's in Sweden.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017

Oh yes! Industrialist, philanthropist, bicyclist. And this scene from The Millenium:

Raptomex

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the greatest scenes. And the audience's reaction makes it better. Classic episode in general, too.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
If this poster's comment is anything to go by, he/she's not from America, and Seinfeld is virtually unknown to anyone not living in an English speaking country (I never heard of it before joining NeoGAF back in the day tbh)

What? we had Sony Entertainmet Television in Latin America since 1995. We watched subtitled Seinfeld (and friends) EVERY DAY