• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's true that once the wheels of justice begin to turn, nothing can stop them. Nothing. It was Raccoon City's last chance and my last chance... My last escape. - Jill Valentine

I played this masterpiece so many times and it only gets better and better with each replay. I just finished yet another playthrough of the game on my Vita. This game never gets old. Hard to believe it started out as a spin off.

Everything about it is just awesome. Nemesis, the enemy variety, the sense of urgency, Jill and the mercenaries. I don't even know where to begin.

re3_nemesis_conceptart_xNGzj.jpg

Let's start with Jill. She is so badass in this game. Jill's feats in this game and how she overcomes all the shit she faces in this game is really cool. She always feels confident and her interactions with Carlos and everyone in the game reflects that. In the first game she looked and sounded really confused about everything she saw. This game however shows how her experience affected her in the spencer mansion incident. She is a hardened badass who gives stars to any fool trying to mess with her.

Nemesis is the perfect antagonist for this game. The fact he is after Jill and only her makes him a very intimidating enemy. Each time you don't see him you just wonder where on earth he is. The longer it takes to find him the more you get paranoid. Running into him with low ammo and no preparation is intense and will most of the time mean your death. Something I love about the encounters with Nemesis is the loot he drops provided you play on hard mode. It ensures that it is worth facing him instead of running away like with Mr X in the past game. Speaking of Mr X, Nemesis destroys him interms of intimidation. The monster has a fricking bazooka and isn't afraid to use it. You can run away but if you don't find a way to shake him off then he will be right after you (infact he is even faster than you). You go into a safe room? Well Nemesis will stand outside waiting for your scared ass until you run away into a much furthur location or face him.

The Story. The story in this game is perfect for what it is. You are trying to escape and some monster is following you. You run into a merc squad who are all interesting and cool. You also get to see some of the experiments Umbrella are doing first hand and read more about what they are doing. Simple, to the point and just perfect for the theme of the game.

Gameplay. The gameplay in this is the most advanced of the classic RE games (aside from REmake 1 and 0 if we were to debate). This is where the ammo mixing is introduced. And it has so many aspects you need to be mind of as there lots more enemies on screen than the past games. You can actually run up and down the stairs without pressing the action button and you have a lot of mobility thanks to the quck turn and the dodge mechanic. The game is also the most action focused of the PS1 games and that is reflected with the ability to shoot stuff in the world that explodes enemies near them. Then we get to the live selection and choices in the game that could change up the playthrough. The live selection is very similiar to the sections in Teltale games where you have to choose an option before the timer runs out. When these happen you can usually have alternative routes or do something that helps you against all the different foes, and it will also change some of the story and even the endings depending on what you choose. Something else the game introduces is the mercenaries mod, which is similiar to the one in the later game but I actually like this one better. You play as three mercs who are from the main game story and you go around on a timer where you have to reach a point before the time runs out. You can kill zombies and enemies to get more time and you can also help civilians for more ammo and recources. It is like the perfect mariage of the forth survivor and the mercs mode of the later games.

Variety. This is another aspect of the game that I really like. It has really varied locations that remind me a lot of RE1/2 and RE4 (in some parts due to the "adventure" feel you get). It has some parts where you explore an area with you going all over to find parts to do some puzzles or something (Clocktower, the city section after you meet the mercs). And some parts where you just go forward blasting stuff in your way (the hospital). It is the perfect balance of classic RE with some more action based parts. It is the sweet spot. Enemy wise it has a lot of returning ones (especially from 1) and some new ones like the brain suckers (who I bet are going to make lickers feel like a bunch of apes interms of scare factors once the REmake comes) and the new hunters that can eat you whole.

One thing I hear people say about this game is how it shouldn't have been called RE3 cause CV "continues the story". To that I say:
giphy.gif

The game is much more advanced mechanically and more impressive than Code Veronica it is not even funny. It started out as a spin off only to then get promoted to a full sequel which turned out to be the best move in the end. The tone still feels like a horror game compared to the weird matrix mess that is CV.

So yeah, I rambled enough and thanks for sticking with me. My passion for this game is very huge and I could ramble a lot more if I didn't have work tomorrow and I gotta sleep. Only 3 more months until the remake and hopefully HD Jill giving Nemie the stars!

Last edited:

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I like you. I like you very much.

And yes to all of that. I'm playing a lot of RE3 right now and this game stills manage to amaze me. I finally managed to get an A ranking with Nicholai in Mercs and it was extremely fun and exciting. The game tight controls plus dodges are highlighted strongly when you have to use the knife so much.

RE3 is a special game. And I can't wait for the remake. We know very little, but everything that was said so far makes me hopeful. I think the devs understood just what made RE3 so great.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I remember when 1-3 first came out. I adored 1, thought 2 was incredible and then...I liked 3 but thought it was a lesser sequel. Shorter. Leaner. Less explorative and wasn't as good as 2.

I finally revisited it a few months back and had a much better broader view of it, and was able to detach myself better and judge it on its own merits. It's still not my favourite (Remake 1, 1, 2, Remake 2 and 4 surpass it for me personally) but it's a great romp and I'm hyped for the Remake

Sleepwalker

Oct 29, 2017
I replayed both RE2 and RE3 last year, and it really struck me how RE3 does the whole "survival" aspect of survival-horror much better than RE2. The zombies are higher in number and more aggressive, enemies in general are more deadly (those wall-climbing poisonous… things still make me go nope when I see them). It's a pretty stressful experience, running through the streets overwhelmed by zombies. And then fucking Nemesis bursts through some door/window and you forget whatever it was you were doing as you desperately try to not get mauled to death or blown up by his big ass bazooka.

What an experience, can't wait for the remake.

OP
OP
Richter1887

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I replayed both RE2 and RE3 last year, and it really struck me how RE3 does the whole "survival" aspect of survival-horror much better than RE2. The zombies are higher in number and more aggressive, enemies in general are more deadly (those wall-climbing poisonous… things still make me go nope when I see them). It's a pretty stressful experience, running through the streets overwhelmed by zombies. And then fucking Nemesis bursts through some door/window and you forget whatever it was you were doing as you desperately try to not get mauled to death or blown up by his big ass bazooka.

What an experience, can't wait for the remake.
Agreed. I replayed RE2 last year and it was mostly easy. 3 was on another level when you first play it. Hell even on a replay.

I've said this a thousand times but I'll say it again: Capcom should just re-release all classic RE games to modern plataforms.
Agreed.

The games still hold up. 2 especially needs to happen as it is a very different experience compared to the remake.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I don't know how people consider this game's story unimportant when it's the literal ending of the Racoon City story which is the ancillary event of the series.

Great game.

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
See for me it's almost opposite. It's weird. I get weird urges for RE3. I'll pop it in and play it for 35-45mins. Save and then not touch it again for months and start the process over again. Where if I get the itch to play RE2 original, I'll bust that out in 1 hour and 45 minutes, and immediately bleed over into the other characters B scenario.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Easily of the PSX's best games and IMO just as good, if not better than RE2. OP, you are good people.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite of the classic RE games and the one I'd consider best of the PS1 installments, and admittedly why my expectations are lower for REmake 3 living up to it in spite of loving REmake 2 (having felt that the original RE2 had more room for improvement).

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
It's really good but damn, I can't disagree enough about Jill.
Her only personnality trait in this game is being an asshole. She straight-up leave a citizen to die in the beginning of the game. The guy was too scared to go back outside so she ditched him. She also didn't try anything to save poor ol' Brad.

Carlos is the real hero of RE3.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
To be honest I think RE3 begins the trend that is only made worse in Code Veronica.

And that is you feel like you are just grabbing trivial bullshit to make progress. Sort of a grocery list of random shit needed to pick up.

Like, you come across an area that is covered in fire - so you need a fire hose to put it out. Then you find that fire hose, but it's bolted down. So you spend the next chunk of the game going through various areas and key story events....just to find that wrench. Ultimately expressing to the player that all that shit you just did led you to finding a fucking wrench. So then you backtrack to finally use that wrench, to get the fire hose and then proceed to the next area.

And it just seems the game does this way too often. Find the power cable, find the fuse, find the oil (no wait, you need the mixed oil), etc.

Functionally, that is the core gameplay loop of all classic RE games. But RE2 (by virtue of having a more talented director I'd imagine), designed and paced things in a way where you felt like you were finding more important items to do more important stuff. It didn't -feel- like you just doing a bunch of checklist item fetches. In RE2, collecting key items felt like you were making progress by discovering the secrets of the RPD station. Collecting items in RE3 feels like you were making progress simply to collect a fire hose, or to get a tram working. It's a slight, subtle difference really. RE2 - you make progress to discover the game. In RE3, you make progress to find a wrench. Hmm, tough to explain beyond that. I hope people get where I'm going with this.

I still think RE3 is still in the top 6 of all RE games.

EDIT: Oh, I also forgot - like, getting the right statue piece to use on the statue to reveal the statue was hiding...a car battery. WTF?

Last edited:

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
the pre-rendered backgrounds are legendary.

Also, the atmosphere was so tense, ESPECIALLY knowing that Nemesis (or a fucking dog) would burst through any window at random

Hecht

Too damn tired
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
It's the only RE game I replayed over and over to try to get better rankings. I loved the massive amounts of zombies, Nemesis, and the fact that you can craft massive amounts of shotgun ammo.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I think RE3 begins the trend that is only made worse in Code Veronica.

And that is you feel like you are just grabbing trivial bullshit to make progress. Sort of a grocery list of random shit needed to pick up.

Like, you come across an area that is covered in fire - so you need a fire hose to put it out. Then you find that fire hose, but it's bolted down. So you spend the next chunk of the game going through various areas and key story events....just to find that wrench. Ultimately expressing to the player that all that shit you just did led you to finding a fucking wrench. So then you backtrack to finally use that wrench, to get the fire hose and then proceed to the next area.

And it just seems the game does this way too often. Find the power cable, find the fuse, find the oil (no wait, you need the mixed oil), etc.

Functionally, that is the core gameplay loop of all classic RE games. But RE2 (by virtue of having a more talented director I'd imagine), designed and paced things in a way where you felt like you were finding more important items to do more important stuff. It didn't -feel- like you just doing a bunch of checklist item fetches. In RE2, collecting key items felt like you were making progress by discovering the secrets of the RPD station. Collecting items in RE3 feels like you were making progress simply to collect a fire hose, or to get a tram working. It's a slight, subtle difference really. RE2 - you make progress to discover the game. In RE3, you make progress to find a wrench. Hmm, tough to explain beyond that. I hope people get where I'm going with this.

EDIT: Oh, I also forgot - like, getting the right statue piece to use on the statue to reveal the statue was hiding...a car battery. WTF?
For as much fetching as there was to do, I felt that most of it in RE3 was more logical, things like the battery hidden behind the statue aside. RE2 seemed more like the predecessor to CV in respect to the nonsensical nature of what it expects the player to do to progress (i.e., find the unicorn medallion to obtain a key from the fountain to open commonly used doors, do a lighter puzzle in the press room to get a cog for the clock tower, rearrange the bookshelves in the library for either a stone or a plug, deploy an emergency ladder to get to the second floor of the RPD because there aren't any stairs, get the wolf and eagle medallions to stop a random waterfall down in the sewers).

diablogg

Oct 31, 2017

All the classic Resident Evils worked like that IMO. RE1 basically worked in the same way. Regardless of how you feel about the importance of the items you were picking up, these games were basically old school adventure games wrapped up in a "survival horror" package.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Her only personnality trait in this game is being an asshole. She straight-up leave a citizen to die in the beginning of the game. The guy was too scared to go back outside so she ditched him. She also didn't try anything to save poor ol' Brad.

Ridiculous.

She tries to get him to come with her but the guy shuts hismelf up in a container. What the hell was she suppose to do?

What exactly would she be able to do against Nemesis that early? There was nothing that could have saved Brad there.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I'm going to my grave maintaining that it is the real Resident Evil 2, since I feel like the Resident Evil 2 we got was actually a re-hash of the original, but just prettier.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Ridiculous.

She tries to get him to come with her but the guy shuts hismelf up in a container. What the hell was she suppose to do?

What exactly would she be able to do against Nemesis that early? There was nothing that could have saved Brad there.

She could try to reason with him, y'know, to help him. But nah, let's leave him to die instead.

And you can beat Nemesis in the fight just after he killed Brad, so she definitely could do a bit more then watching him get tentacle'd.

SchrodingerC

Oct 25, 2017

Uhh, the guy refused to leave with Jill, to a point where he even says he'd rather die in that container than go outside. Besides, he ended up becoming a zombie anyways when you revisit the warehouse.
Also what did you expect Jill to do when a hulking monster appears out of nowhere? She had to fight tooth and nail to bring him down long enough to escape.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
She could try to reason with him, y'know, to help him. But nah, let's leave him to die instead.

And you can beat Nemesis in the fight just after he killed Brad, so she definitely could do a bit more then watching him get tentacle'd.
She does...

That's just gameplay. Canonacally Jill wouldn't survive a punch or 2 from Nemesis.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Welp,

Thread inspired me to hook up my PS3 again :)

Thinking I'll run thru RE1,2,3 and 7 before RE3Remake releases

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
While RE4 takes the cake for me this was my first RE experience and it scared the bejaysus outta me.

loved it

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
It's honestly probably my favorite RE. No idea why it always seems to get shafted. Hopefully RE3R recaptures it's magic.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
One thing I hear people say about this game is how it shouldn't have been called RE3 cause CV "continues the story". To that I say:
giphy.gif

The game is much more advanced mechanically and more impressive than Code Veronica it is not even funny. It started out as a spin off only to then get promoted to a full sequel which turned out to be the best move in the end. The tone still feels like a horror game compared to the weird matrix mess that is CV.

I love this. As you said, RE3 brings so much to the table in a lot of different ways that it deserves having the 3 regardless of what it started out as.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil

Did fiding stone blocks or chess pieces really more meaningful in RE2? I mean, how can getting itens to get a tram working and move around the city doesn't give a sense of progress? I know very well how seemingly similar things can give different impressions, and indeed, I think this has a lot of to do in separating talent from simple compentence, but I don't see that problem in RE3 at all.

You have more mundane itens, like the wrench or the firehouse as you mentioned, but they are hardly the end in themselves. The idea that you progress the game just to find an iten can easily be applied to previous RE because, as you mentioned, this is a core mechanic in those games. Progressing foward just to find an iten that allows you to go back and explore new areas is a thing in RE1 and RE2. Also puzzles that doesn't make much sense, the wtf for the car battery in RE3 can easily be applied to many itens in RE1 and RE2.

If anything, RE3 made a much better job in balancing using itens to move foward and more traditional puzzles like the music box or the water thing. In RE2 most puzzles are simply about getting itens.

I do believe your criticism is more aimed at the setting than any gameplay mechanic. If RE2 gave a feeling of more meaningful exploration to you, it seems it was because of the idea of the RPD being a place that you must discover, that every room has something new to uncover in themselves. RE3, with it urban and more mundane setting, might not have achieved the same impact on you. Which is a shame, because Raccoon City in RE3 holds as many secretes and details as the Mansion in RE1 or the RPD in RE2.