• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Nov 8, 2017
I felt like I was reading about Rage for an eternity. There was a trailer for the game shown off in 2007 at QuakeCon, and in retrospect it's kind of impressive how close to the finished game it still looks, considering there was a ~4 year gap between that trailer being released and the game shipping in October 2011. There were magazine features all about idTech5, MegaTextures, and how revolutionary it all was. There were years of trailers and such. John Carmack enthusiastically showed the game off on iOS, and in fact a rail-shooter based on the game was released almost a full year before the final game came out!

In the end, it was a bit of a damp squib, both technically and critically. It was a nice looking game to be sure, but suffered from very notciable (at least on PC using a mouse) texture pop-in issues not just when entering new areas, but when turning too fast. It scored a ~79 on PC and ~81 on console for metascores, which is by no means bad, but didn't stand out that much from the crowd. 2011 was the year of Skyrim, Dark Souls, Portal 2, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Batman Arkham City, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Gears of War 3, Uncharted 3, Crysis 2, Modern Warfare 3 and The Witcher 2.

I first tried Rage on a friend's computer the year it came out, but I thought it seemed kind of bad and quickly forgot about it. In 2016, I picked it up for $5 on sale and decided I'd give it another go. I made it ~45 minutes in before giving up because it just didn't feel that great to play. Last week, I decided it was time to actually push through and see if I could get into it.

Technical Performance

For a 2011 game it certainly doesn't look bad. The aforementioned pop-in issues are annoying, but not a complete deal breaker. What is more annoying is idTech5's complicated relationship with framerate. The game is designed around maintaining 60fps, but the in-engine frame limited isn't very good at its job. I used RTSS to view a real time frametime graph, and it reported that the game was microstutter central. In addition to uneven framepacing being a constant factor of life, I experienced intermittent acute stutters that I was never able to fix. The microstutter was solved by using RTSS to limit the framerate at 60, rather than the in-game limiter. I have a G-sync display so it was never a major issue, but it's interesting in an academic sense that a developer put so much sweat and blood into maintaining a steady framerate, but didn't seem to be paying a lot of attention to framerate beyond the 1 second average interval. Frametime analysis wasn't really done much (or at all) in 2011 and prior, so I guess it makes sense, but still, kind of interesting.

The game holds up fine in the "open world", although that itself isn't very large. That's the way I like it though, and adding 4x as much driving with points of interest everywhere would have done nothing to improve the game.

Core gameplay and Progression systems

The pistol you get at the start of the game kind of blows. Eventually you find more powerful ammo for it and get some upgrades and it becomes useful, but I think this was behind my initial poor impressions. The enemies are quite aggressive and move fast, so when you have to pump 3-5 shots into basic enemies to down them like that it feels a bit shit. The hit reactions aren't the greatest, which doesn't help that much. Once I got the Shotgun and Assault Rifle up and running, the game became instantly much better. The arsenal grows rapidly from there, and in the ~10 hours the game runs, you get 8 total weapons (plus fists) each with multiple ammo types that behave quite differently (except the sniper rifle which only has the regular-ass bullets). The Minigun's alternate ammo is BFG shots. The crossbow can make people explode or electrocute or just do regular damage. The pistol can have a burst fire, or heavy shots. The shotgun can fire EMP slugs, or mini rockets, or regular shells. It's actually a really nice variety.

The main weakness in the game is that at the 3/4 point, all enemies become super bullet spongey. You start fighting the Authority and more advanced gangs of people who are all wearing super tough armor. My enjoyment rapidly plummeted at this point, because as mentioned earlier Hit Reactions are mediocre and enemies move quite fast. It feels like you're just pumping lead into these people's faces, 6 or 7 headshots with the AR at close range to down them, and if you're at long range you'll need to use the big guns or dump a whole mag into a single enemy. It stops feeling good.

Driving is serviceable. The races are pretty easy, and the mandatory stuff is basically effortless to win. Car combat is so-so, like it's not awful but it's not something that inspired me to put much extra time into it. Late game you get this super gun that instakills all enemy vehicles and I have no idea why, but I wasn't complaining because the "open world" combat is a bit repetitive anyway.

The cars and your person have various upgrades available. Extra armor, new weapon types, schematics etc. It's not over-systematized in the way that a lot of modern games are when they're trying to keep you hooked on the upgrade treadmill for 20+ hours, so overall I rate it as quite good for what it is.

Plot and Characters

Ehhh. Characters are thin, but it gets the job done. The premise of the game is moderately interesting, but it's not the kind of game where you're going to get invested. When THE RESISTENCE shows up it almost felt parodic, or like they were setting up for some twist. But it's all face-value stuff in the end, the Authority is indeed very nefariously evil and want to take over the world completely using an army of mind controlled supermutant hybrids with guns, the Resistence is noble, the small townships are good, and every other human group or mutant is out to kill you. In droves.

Overall

Not bad, somewhere in the 7 or 8 out of 10 range is accurate and I think it was recieved accurately by critics of the era. I was really loving it in the middle, but the late game dragged the experience down, and the opening is quite weak IMO. I'm looking forward to Rage 2, although I understand it's going to be tonally and technically radical departures, and the game is not going to play similarly.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I played the game pretty late (2016 maybe) on PS3 and enjoyed it more than I thought I would

It's really flawed and it ends out of no where but the moment to moment gameplay is a good time

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I liked Rage when I played, I thought the gunplay was quite incredible and fighting the Authority in particular was very exciting. I didn't see neither hit detection nor bullet spongeness. It was solid all around as a tradional FPS. Main my issue was the other stuff. Rage felt a game that wanted to be more than just a traditional FPS. You had a semi-open world design, vechicle sections, characters, a crafting system. But in the end I think they didn't quite pushed those elements in far enough, they felt too timid. Even if they mostly worked.

One thing that this game was great was minigames though. Every RPG/open world game should take lessons from Rage in that departament. Sometimes I think Gwent was inspired by the card game in RAGE, although Gwent is more nuanced and fun, the idea behind them is very similar. (I said Andromda should have a card game before it was cool by the way).

*Splinter

Oct 25, 2017
I think I went into this game with low expectations but I was very pleasantly surprised by it. I guess there was nothing really special about it but it's got some variety, isn't overly padded, and I enjoyed my time with it.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who like id Software, I really wanted to play Rage but didn't enjoy it. 2 or 3 times started the game and each time leaved it after 2 hours. Maybe it wasn't made for me, or maybe 2 hours weren't enough.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
I tried to like it, but it was just so... bland. Plus the texture pop in was atrocious, it was like playing red light green light with the high res textures and I'd win every time.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
- Great gunplay feel
- Great enemies behavior
- Okayish gameplay design
- pointless vehicles section
- bad story
- trash tier final encounter & ending

OP
OP
ThereAreFourNaan
Nov 8, 2017
I didn't see neither hit detection nor bullet spongeness.

It wasn't really an issue until the Authority and Gearheads (? I think that's their name) enemies become the norm. Plus there's like a super outlaw mutant place you go too late game as well. All of these enemies would take 2-4 shotgun shells at close range, only 2 if you were scoring headshots. If you spammed super ammo it wasn't an issue, but all the regular guns started feeling really pathetic. Killing an authority soldier with Authority MG regular ammo (a fairly late game gun!) could take half a mag or more unless you were taking it slow with headshots.

Yeah the main problem with the ending was that it just

Lol yes. When the achievement popped I was like "wait what? Don't I have to escape or fight a final boss?"

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Enjoyed it a lot and the Scorchers dlc was a nice little add on too.Can't wait for Rage 2 though,I haven't played a shooter in ages and it looks like a lot of fun.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I really, really liked it - story and characters are meh, which sucks but the gameplay is fantastic ... but it has, what I think is the worst ending I have ever seen in a videogame, ever..

KDC720

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was just okay when it came out. I've been playing through it again recently and my opinions haven't changed much.

The gunplay is great and I love how aggressive and dodgy the enemies can be, however they can also be a bit too spongy. Also, only being able to have 4 weapons at a time on your weapon wheel on the console version is still a baffling decision to me.

I never cared too much for the driving, it's servicible but I never engaged with vehicles much outside of getting from point A to B. Speaking of which, the wasteland feels more like a glorified level select screen at times rather than something I want to explore.

Overall I agree the game is fine, it just doesn't leave much of an impression other than its wet fart of an ending.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
great art direction and fantastic gunplay, but horrible mission structure (secondary mission makes you go back in dungeon you just cleared) and none-existant characters/story

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
The co-op mode was pretty ace. Had a great time with a mate, just carving through those trap-ridden arenas. Good times.

Actually quite fond of the game, and with a few tweaks here and there, never really saw the megatexture flaws. Or, at least, not enough to bother me.

Best thing about Rage, though?

Wing. Sticks.

RavenH2

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I played it last year for the first time and even though it was in development for four years it felt rushed, as if the devs didn't have the time to fully implement all systems. As you said the story is barebones, but some of the characters didn't felt barebones (emphasis in "some"). To me, they were just post-apocalypse people who mostly kept to themselves.

What irked me the most was the so called general who ruled the Authority who never made an appearance...

Jan 11, 2019
After having played this game I jumped into the Coop with my buddy, with whom I'd previously completed all the Gears of War games. After the first room on a higher difficulty he was like "I can't do this - I just can't..." sweat glistening on his forehead.

On higher difficulties, this game is fucking vicious. That's what I like about it. It's not the actual difficulty. It's the way the guns go CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA BOOM BANG MOTHERFUKKER and the enemies trip and fall over and continue to charge at you and finally explode and how the incoming bullets almost tear up your screen making you run for cover behind your desk chair and oh boy could I go on FOREVER.

I love Rage.

Despite all it's shortcomings the moment to moment gunplay left me baffled and bamboozled at the time. It was nigh impossible to play other shooters right after it. How DARE you say "the hit reactions aren't the greatest." Heresy that is.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
I played this weekend The Scorchers, the only substantial DLC made by ID for this game.
Good news, TWO doors in Wellspring now aren't locked anymore :D

By the way, it took more than an year to release this 2-hours DLC and... I am impressed by the sheer amount of content in those 2 hours! Many new locations, new enemies, a new gun, new characters.
It makes me think how this game could had been a masterpiece if only they closed their focus on the FPS sections, and forgot that friggin car. The artistic direction was top-notch.

Whow ants to play the coop campaign with me on Xbox ?

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
"The hit reactions aren't the greatest, which doesn't help that much."

this is like reading that someone doesnt think the jumping feels good in a mario game

deft

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the art direction and tone for Rage is really something else.

Rage 2 just threw all of that under a series of identical neon buses :(

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
From what I saw, the sequel seems a totally different game. I don't like the WHOA COLORFUL YOUTUBE MINATURE artistic style they implemented.

OP
OP
ThereAreFourNaan
Nov 8, 2017
Dat bump

"The hit reactions aren't the greatest, which doesn't help that much."

this is like reading that someone doesnt think the jumping feels good in a mario game

The animations are nice (particularly on death) but the enemies (especially charging ones) don't seem to get stunned much so the shooting feels like it lacks impact, like they're not reacting to your hits meaningfully until they hit 0hp then they have some beautifully choreographed "falling to the ground while charging at you" animation.

As I said, this feeling started to fade when you got beefy guns, then it came back with a vengeance in the late game when all the enemies had 1 billion HP.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I really enjoyed this game when it came out. It did the whole post-apocalyptic thing better than Fallout 3 and Borderlands, IMO.

Shame about the ending, though, it felt like the entire last third of the game was missing.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
It looked truly amazing on 360 but it was a soulless slog. The ending was a shocking anti-climax.

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
Seeing my nephew re-playing the game made me go 'I did not know a PS3 game could look this good and perform this well at the same time'. Truly a marvel on previous generation consoles. I do, however, miss that frenetic action that later Id games implemented (Doom, Rage 2).