• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
My early Christmas present to myself this year is a blu-ray box set of the full Quantum Leap series, as a kid I watched this show with my parents and I remember loving it.

I just finished season 2 and here are a few of my favourite episodes so far on rewatch.

The Americanisation Of Machiko

This time Sam is s sailor returning from Japan, with a Japanese wife in tow, his mother takes it very badly and treats the poor woman like shit, so naturally Sam has to find a way so that Machiko will be accepted be. Sadly this episodes feels all too relevant these days seeing how anti-Asian hate surged big time because of the coron situation and with racism on the rise in general

The Colour of Truth

This one is set during the civil rights era with Sam as a black man in his 60's who stirs up the racist locals by going against segregation. Another one that again feels all too relevant these days.

Good Morning, Peoria

Very Strong Good Morning Vietnam vibe here (Bakula is channeling Robin big time) with Sam as a radio DJ in the 50's, the conservative members of the town are opposed to the local radio station playing rock n roll. I loved this episode and I rank it fairly highly.

Jimmy

Some dated attitudes to disabilities aside, this one speaks to me as I myself also have learning disabilities so I know how hard it can be to get accepted in the workplace. Some espisodes I don't remember so well from back in the day but this one I remembered almost in it's entirety on rewatch.

M.I.A

Damn season 2 ends on a sad note with this one, as Sam has to make sure Al's wife doesn't give up on him while he's a POW. The ending with Al trying to communicate with his wife had me in tears. Might be my favourite so far despite how sad it is.

I'll be continting starting with season 3 tomorrrow.

Last edited:

dubc

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I used to watch this show a lot when it was airing. I haven't watched any episodes since. I should try to watch some over break.

Is this the one where he gets free at the end and chooses King as his last name then Al says one of his descendants will be Martin Luther King Jr? Can there be spoilers for a 30 year old show? lol.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely love this show. Been a while since I did a rewatch.

The JFK episode is one one of my favorites. The twist at the end was outstanding.

Also love the finale, and conside it one of TV's finest.

Oct 28, 2017
I picked up this same blu-ray set at the beginning of the pandemic and went through a rewatch as well. The Halloween episode with the
Stephen King gag
at the end is my favorite. I also really liked the episode when he jumps into the photographer's body in Vietnam and snaps a picture of
Al.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I used to watch this show a lot when it was airing. I haven't watched any episodes since. I should try to watch some over break.

Is this the one where he gets free at the end and chooses King as his last name then Al says one of his descendants will be Martin Luther King Jr? Can there be spoilers for a 30 year old show? lol.
No, that was in the last season. This one's more the Driving Miss Daisy thing.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
Oh man, this show, along with the original Flash TV series, were my jam as a kid! Enjoy the ride, OP.

Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait ⇄ Leeds, England
Whenever I watch Quantum Leap, it leaves me with such hope and optimism. No matter how much time passes, I always revisit it. It's so charming and timeless. I get choked up whenever I think of the final episode of the series, it ends on a perfect note when it comes to Sam as a character despite reading about all the behind the scenes issues.

Garp TXB

Apr 1, 2020
Always wished the show could have lasted a little longer and done some crossover episodes with Sliders. Imagine how complicated it would get

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Sam:
You might say I'm a dreamer...

Sam and Al, together:
...but I'm not the only one

Tom Beckett:
Hey! Hey, it's midnight. It's April 9th and I'm still alive.
Thanks to you,
little brother.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
Big fan, I have the DVD's but may pick up the blurays at some point for a rewatch in memory of Dean Stockwell.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
I know this is an old thread, but I've been watching reruns on Syfy for the first time in decades. There's something that's bothering me in the season five episode Killin' Time.

How is Gooshie so stupid? He was worked at Project Quantum Leap for years. He knows how it all works, but when the leapee escapes from the Waiting Room with Al at gunpoint, Gooshie calls him Dr. Beckett. He's been there long enough to know the person in the waiting room isn't Sam.

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I know this is an old thread, but I've been watching reruns on Syfy for the first time in decades. There's something that's bothering me in the season five episode Killin' Time.

How is Gooshie so stupid? He was worked at Project Quantum Leap for years. He knows how it all works, but when the leapee escapes from the Waiting Room with Al at gunpoint, Gooshie calls him Dr. Beckett. He's been there long enough to know the person in the waiting room isn't Sam.
The show gets inconsistent with how leaping works. That episode is probably one of the worst offenders.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
All the Vietnam/Home stuff in this show was out of this world good. Stockwell and Bakula were awesome.

Maybe I should rewatch it. Is it streaming anywhere?

Danby

One Winged Slayer
Oct 7, 2020
I havent heard much about the new show but they should keep the look of leaping intact. Super iconic.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think the point is that under normal circumstances the leapee would never be let out of the waiting room unless it was actually Sam.

Since "Sam" was out of the waiting room, Gooshie must have thought Sam had leapt and leapt back to the project, i.e. that it was actually Sam. Obviously he realised he was wrong when Stiles asks "Why are you calling me Dr Beckett?".

In addition, the reason it was written like this was probably to remind the audience that Leon looked like Sam, because there was no nearby mirror until later in the episode.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
That is the exact reason.

Also if you want some interesting discussion of how the leaping actually works check out this video

She also is the woman who accidently discovered negatives to the never released "lost" ending by purchasing a lot of production photo negatives off of ebay.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Thanks for mentioning this, I never knew this happened.

She also got it confirmed by the actress who played Al's wife and the shows costume director.

She is also one of the hosts of the Quantum Leap Podcast which is really good and get a lot of behind the scenes people and actors on the show for interviews and stuff.