• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
TLDR: I was too hard on Sekiro because Sekiro was too hard on me. It's a brilliant, special game, but it sometimes overshoots the "tough but fair" mark.

After beating Sekiro back when it released, I pretty much relegated it to the "one and done" category. In fact, it even feels strange to say I "beat" the game, since I think it'd be more appropriate to say we beat each other. Six plus hours on Isshin and that was it for me. I won. I killed him. I was out, never to return. I was free.

But as a huge From fan, it never sat well with me having such mixed feelings about one of their biggest games. So I came back, last week. And I came back with a vengeance. It all stayed with me, somehow, over the last six months. I could still dance with these goddamn bosses like I was Neo in his final form..... Beat the game once, then again, and again, and again, and again. I beat the game five more times in the past week, collected all the trophies, and really came to appreciate how much I had overlooked in my absolute frustration the first time I fought through it.

There's been enough praise aimed at the combat that I won't harp too much on it, but suffice it to say I think it's the best sword fighting system that we've ever had, and certainly at its best when you are doing just that.... sword fighting. Against mobs of enemies, monsters, or big heavies, things aren't so nice, but when it's you and a single foe locked in a death match..... man, it just shines. Having recently played Jedi Fallen Order (which I enjoyed, but don't want to focus on in this thread!), it really highlighted how much experience From has in the third person combat arena and how even a "simple" system like Sekiro's has a lot more going on under the hood than I might have given it credit for. Even things that are easy to take for granted like the audio feedback and the framing of the executions is quite literally perfect.

Playing the game multiple times in a row also helped me see how well designed the world is. It's different than their other games though. Here, checkpoints are much more prevalent, and meaningful shortcuts are few and far between. The interconnections aren't so much there to help you in the short term (ie; in one playthrough), but they are just a godsend for multiple runs. The hub like nature of the world, the potential for skipping and sequence breaking.... it all feeds in to make repeat plays of the game stay lively. I would never qualify myself as a speedrunner in any capacity, but it was amazing to see how quickly (~3 hours) I was able to blast through the game in my most recent runs because I knew my way around so well.

More than anything, though, I love how the structure of the game and its levels really tell the story of Ashina Castle's downfall. It's the geographical center of the game, and it's a place than changes each and every time we come back to it. It's always full of enemies that push your comfort zone in terms of challenge, and your route through it changes in small ways each time you return. And while it's character might not be as obvious visually as certain venues in Bloodborne or Dark Souls, it's a place that feels lived in, withered, and well past its golden age. The more I played Sekiro, the more sad it felt to see what happens to it.... under siege, toppled, sabotaged. The soldiers who you died to so many times in the early areas now simply kneeling in defeat to the Ministry forces.

All that said, I still feel that the game is flawed in one major way:

It is too hard.

At this point I'm fairly comfortable saying I'm very good at the game. It took a long time, I got very frustrated, but eventually, yes I "got good." And still.... still, I can die almost instantly in one single mistake. Still, I backpedal and frantically try to heal while I'm hit again and again in the process. Still, I get a little jolt of anger when I die and lose HALF of my coins and experience.

The way I see it the game is sort of an overly harsh double whammy of difficulty. (A) it is extremely hard in the short term, with many bosses and enemies that will quite literally kill you for one small error, if not kill you in one single hit. And (B) it is also very hard systematically. When you die, you lose half of your things (with no recourse) while also accruing Dragonrot on NPCs, and finally, also lowering your chance for Unseen Aid. Loss leads to more loss which leads to more frustration, and yes, even if things like Dragonrot are mechanically not very impactful, it still feels like a failure every time a new NPC gets hit with it.

I think that together these systems nudge the game just out of "tough but fair" territory into the "really fucking hard" zone. With Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Bloodborne, I would feel comfortable saying that anyone could beat those games. It took some grit, some determination, a little cheesing, some help from a summoned stranger, maybe some grinding. Whatever. But if you wanted to beat them, you could, one way or another.

Not so with Sekiro. Here, there are very few options. The prosthetics are largely not very helpful (plus, run on finite ammo) and there is no leveling, no summoning, and very little potential for grinding. Ultimately if you reach a hard boss there is one way (and one way only) to get past: head first. You must, MUST, memorize the parry timing, learn the attacks, and dominate aggressively. And in the end, I think there are a subset of players who will just not be willing or reasonably capable of doing this. It's a shame that there are no real ways to circumvent or mitigate the challenge because, while it can be very satisfying when you overcome it, it also wore me down quite a lot during my first run through the game.

In any case, those are my thoughts. I'm glad I gave it another chance and came to love it, but I do hope that for Elden Ring the focus is less on brutal, aggressive challenge and more on a the methodical style of play that characterized From's other titles.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I enjoyed a lot of things about the game. And this definitely strikes me as From's best effort to date. That said, I feel that From games are, at this point, just becoming too difficult. Dark Souls was tough-but-fair. But they seem to be drifting a bit further from that with each new release. If they keep making each game harder than the last, eventually there will be one that's too difficult for everybody. I dunno, maybe that's the aim. There will always be people that sing the praises of overly-difficult games, but I'm about at my limit, here. Elden Ring is absolutely going to be a wait-and-see for me.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
I basically agree with a lot of this, though I came out of the Isshin fight wanting to dive right back into NG+ and get my revenge on all those early game bosses. Don't agree on the prosthetics, some of them trivialize certain bosses when used correctly.

I could write a longer post about it but I think Sekiro is a thing that could only happen because Miyazaki has been experimenting with these "side games", looking for ways to take away your crutches ever since he invented them in Souls. Bloodborne did away with shields and turtling, and just screamed at you like a Werewolf Gordon Ramsay until you learned to dodge and parry. Sekiro goes one step further and takes away your summoned assistance and the option to grind and become overlevelled. Was the difficulty of Sekiro a bridge too far as a result? Maybe. I'm not sure. I mean, we beat it, and - speaking for myself, at least - enjoyed it too.

I'm pretty sure that in Elden Ring, the crutches will be back and the game probably better and more accessible for it. But I also expect an even more brutal palate cleanser of sorts following it.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
I don't really think it overshoots the tough but fair mark. The game is hard as hell and definitely doesn't help you out in ways that BB and DS do. But I don't think it isn't fair. It's just really hard but also fair. I think that's exactly what From wanted. It won't be for everyone, but the satisfaction you get from getting better is insane. You can see the progress. Like you, I did multiple runs and got through those in a few hours. It's crazy how much better you get at the game. I can't really think of many other games (outside of From's games) that give you that satisfaction. This game is special.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
gotta agree on some, and disagree on others.
Agree: making ammo finite was dumb. they repeated the same mistake they did on BB with the blood vials. all it does it make the player grind for them.
yep, the variety on prosthetics, or at least their usage was baaaaaaad. the game doesn't even give you reasons to experiment either, more so when stuff is finite.

Disagree: Dragonrot. this is still so overblown. i do not disagree that it's bad from a design standpoint, in the sense that the player gets scared from dying, so he plays it safer, which most of the time is counter productive to the aggressiveness of parrying. BUT, as soon as you understand what exactly dragonrot does, or reads a wiki, it becomes a non issue, curing it isn't that expensive. etc
I can understand that DS gives you more options, specially with summoning, but i feel dark souls is basically the same as sekiro, in it's simplest form. you gotta learn the patterns, the timing of dodges, etc. BB dlc makes this specially very clear.
Also, something i felt, as someone who played Ds1-3 and BB: it was very hard to unshackle myself from what id learned from them, specific reflexes, etc. id imagine a bunch had the same problems.
wont disagree that Sekiro is hard. i took 3 days straight to defeat Isshin. when i did, the sheer bliss i felt is something i very rarely felt with games. the fact that i dominated him in subsequent playthroughs made this even better.

Ellite25

Oct 30, 2017
I've been playing these types of games since the original Dark Souls, and this specifically wore out for me long ago.
Did you play Sekiro? I agree that this part doesn't affect me as much in the other games, but with Sekiro I felt that again. My guess is because it's different enough from this games to provide a unique experience.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I love how the game is pretty much geared towards punishing veteran soulsborne players.

Like it uses your muscle memory against you and i think its genius. Early on in the game I didn't like it very much as I played it pretty much with souls playstyle, trying to dodge everything.

Up until that Genichiro fight at the top of the tower, where I nearly gave up after dying probably over 30 times, I decided to fight my reflex to dodge, and just stand my ground learning to parry all his attacks.

I still died a lot, but I was slowly making much better progress learning to parry all his moves, until I finally beat him and that was probably the most satisfying victory in all of soulsbornekiro for me except for maybe Ornstein and Smough.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
i find it easy tbh. yes, first time is hard, second playtrhough was a breeze and third, was just a joke....once you get the combat, the game is not hard at all, its pretty one dimensional and vertical. I love it, my GOAT game but it needs a little more.

Res

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. I enjoyed a lot of things about the game. And this definitely strikes me as From's best effort to date. That said, I feel that From games are, at this point, just becoming too difficult. Dark Souls was tough-but-fair. But they seem to be drifting a bit further from that with each new release. If they keep making each game harder than the last, eventually there will be one that's too difficult for everybody. I dunno, maybe that's the aim. There will always be people that sing the praises of overly-difficult games, but I'm about at my limit, here. Elden Ring is absolutely going to be a wait-and-see for me.

Personally, I'd say that the difficulty is on par with previous games. I'd even argue that it is easier in some respects, and this is coming from a guy who likes to summon people for bosses. I think that Sekiro just required a different approach at first due to the new mechanics, but after that it was smooth sailing

OP
OP
CHC

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really think it overshoots the tough but fair mark. The game is hard as hell and definitely doesn't help you out in ways that BB and DS do. But I don't think it isn't fair. It's just really hard but also fair. I think that's exactly what From wanted. It won't be for everyone, but the satisfaction you get from getting better is insane. You can see the progress. Like you, I did multiple runs and got through those in a few hours. It's crazy how much better you get at the game. I can't really think of many other games (outside of From's games) that give you that satisfaction. This game is special.

Yeah I mean I struggle with this. I would not call the game "unfair" but I hesitate to say it's completely "fair." In the very strict definition of the word sure, but like... when you are just nailing a boss, non-stop perfect parries right off the bat, then you get hit once, try to heal, and then get hit from across the arena healing and die,, it's hard not to call that bullshit, even if it is by the book.

I would describe Sekiro first as "not unfair" before I'd call it unequivocally "fair."

I can understand that DS gives you more options, specially with summoning, but i feel dark souls is basically the same as sekiro, in it's simplest form. you gotta learn the patterns, the timing of dodges, etc. BB dlc makes this specially very clear.

I agree with the sentiment but I think the overall lower aggression of Dark Souls bosses makes it such that you can miss a few attacks or just take the L on certain combos. There were a fair share of bosses that I beat my first time through without memorizing every single move, I kind of just rolled around and got lucky. Can't say the same for Sekiro, it's imperative to know every part of every boss combo because even one hit can either kill you or put you on the back foot so badly that defeat comes very quickly after.

Also, something i felt, as someone who played Ds1-3 and BB: it was very hard to unshackle myself from what id learned from them, specific reflexes, etc. id imagine a bunch had the same problems.

This is also so true! How many times I tried to dodge things instead of parry them and was severely, severely punished....

Last edited:

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Up until that Genichiro fight at the top of the tower, where I nearly gave up after dying probably over 30 times, I decided to fight my reflex to dodge, and just stand my ground learning to parry all his attacks.

I did it on the first attempt while the last boss took many, many attempts. I think doing the tower fight after the other parts of the game made it stupidly easy with the upgrades. Actually OWL and That first Gen fight were some of the easiest bosses in the game imo.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
I just killed the Guardian Ape, so I am probably halfway through right?

I think Bloodborne is harder, comparing mid points.

i did die to the sekiro bosses many times but bloodborne was another beast entirely, it was ridiculous. Bosses were faster, deadlier, had waaaay more health and there were a whole lot more of them

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Strangely enough, I found Sekiro much easier than Souls. Don't get me wrong, it kicked my ass many times, but I felt like I had way more options to move around and survive fights than I ever did in the Souls games. Maybe easier is the wrong word...I felt like I had more control of the flow of battles.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I thought you meant that feeling wore out for you a long time ago in regards to From's games in general.
That is what I meant, but it doesn't mean I don't still play them. Sekiro is just the one that made me seriously consider being finished with these types of games. Based on the difficulty of the Nioh2 demo, yeah, I'm probably done.

Oct 29, 2017
My main gripes with it are some enemy encounters and the economy of the game with the spirit emblems, otherwise might as well call it perfect.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
First game since my childhood (late 80's) that I quit due to it being too challenging...I keep thinking about going back to it at some point but it just sounds so daunting.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the game is brilliant and not unfair at all. I do agree that the way spirit emblems are handled is kinda annoying though. Grinding for them was rarely necessary for it in my first playthrough, but I did have to do so for a couple bosses. (Isshin, Demon of Hatred and Owl father)

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
The "Parappa the Rapper" timing stylings they enforce on you to generally for every boss and many regular enemies diminishes the normal improvisational nature of previous FROM games.

Likely the only FROM game since Demon Souls that I won't ever finish; just too much work to make any relevant progress, and the cost of death, as you mentioned, is a downward spiral psychologically for me, at least.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is prolly one of the most overrated games in terms of difficulty.

Once you understand how everything works and what makes it tick it's extremly easy to break the game in many ways.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Likely the only FROM game since Demon Souls that I won't ever finish; just too much work to make any relevant progress, and the cost of death, as you mentioned, is a downward spiral psychologically for me, at least.

Tbh that was always overstated and the cost of death is actually less severe than their other games since you retain half the xp of the current level, as well as xp and money being less important in general.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
There's been enough praise aimed at the combat that I won't harp too much on it, but suffice it to say I think it's the best sword fighting system that we've ever had, and certainly at its best when you are doing just that.... sword fighting. Against mobs of enemies, monsters, or big heavies, things aren't so nice, but when it's you and a single foe locked in a death match..... man, it just shines.

*Pikadoubt*

I mean, if we're just going to talk about sword fighting in a very specific 1v1 scenario then For Honor does it better with more options and variety.

Can't believe I'm even saying that about a western melee combat game, I'm going to lose my Anime licence over this.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Other than the ending i honestly thought the game was too easy, if you mastered the counter for the most part you mastered the game. Replays more then any of from software game feel trivialized to me. Its one of my favorite games this year but i just can't agree

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
The difficulty was learning the system. Once that's done the game became easier. But getting there takes dedication.

The ninjutsu techniques were mostly useless though.

OP
OP
CHC

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Sekiro is prolly one of the most overrated games in terms of difficulty.

Once you understand how everything works and what makes it tick it's extremly easy to break the game in many ways.

I always hear this sentiment, but for me it was quite obvious what I had to do. Doing it was the hard part.

"Parry everything." Easier said than done haha
The difficulty was learning the system. Once that's done the game became easier. But getting there takes dedication.

The ninjutsu techniques were mostly useless though.

I actually loved the puppeteer and bloodsmoke ones. Bloodsmoke especially. If you pair it with Gachiin's candy for stealth you can kill so many difficult enemies without actually fighting. Like the spinning double-sword guys in Senpou Temple.... stealth killed and bloodsmoked all of them, barely ever faced one in a fair fight, let alone two at once.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
I hope the PS5 makes this a locked 60 fps. The uneven performance and thus input lag made the last much harder than it should have been. Still my GOTY if it wasn't for REmake2.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
There's no game I hate people downplaying the difficulty of more. This game is fucking hard, well after "learning" the systems. The systems are about exceptional reaction times, and no, that isn't fair. It's fine for a game to be tailored to that, but that doesn't mean it's fair in the ways the other Souls games actually are. I intend to try to beat the game again one day, because I fucking loved it, but I spent 70 hours getting my ass kicked relentlessly, feeling like I was becoming so great, but Isshin is an unfair, brutal test of your skill that i just can't do. I tried for like a week and a half to beat him and never even saw the fourth phase - I think I only made it to his third phase once!

Don't get me wrong, it's still probably my GotY, I absolutely fucking loved it, but the game is hard and I can't stand the condescending attitude of those trying to tell otherwise.

OP
OP
CHC

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
There's no game I hate people downplaying the difficulty of more. This game is fucking hard, well after "learning" the systems. The systems are about exceptional reaction times, and no, that isn't fair. It's fine for a game to be tailored to that, but that doesn't mean it's fair in the ways the other Souls games actually are. I intend to try to beat the game again one day, because I fucking loved it, but I spent 70 hours getting my ass kicked relentlessly, feeling like I was becoming so great, but Isshin is an unfair, brutal test of your skill that i just can't do. I tried for like a week and a half to beat him and never even saw the fourth phase - I think I only made it to his third phase once!

Don't get me wrong, it's still probably my GotY, I absolutely fucking loved it, but the game is hard and I can't stand the condescending attitude of those trying to tell otherwise.

The game is very easy. Every time you are about to get hit, just parry!

/s

But yeah, for sure. It's a paradigm shift from the studio's other games, and it requires a serious combo of reflexes and memorization.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I actually just finished 100%ing the game today after blitzing through Fallen Order, like yourself OP. I'd played the game when it first came out with much anticipation and savored every detail during my first playthrough, which took about 40-50ish hours. Dropped it after Isshin (to get back into Destiny IIRC) but always meant to come back and finish a few NG+'s and try to get 100%.

This game really got better throughout the NG+ playthroughs for me. I especially came to appreciate how the game's narrative really opened itself up when trying to achieve the multiple endings as well as having enough of each sake to sit down with Emma, Isshin and the Sculptor multiple times. Going for all the endings really felt the most rewarding as a whole package, what with the evolution of my skillset allowing me to just dominate enemies and bosses that gave me a really tough time early on. Also of note - it took me just about those playthroughs to gather enough XP to buy up all the skills.

The game is hard, no doubt. I had to be careful about which one of my friends to recommend it to during our tandem playthroughs of Fallen Order (they're mostly PVPers who take breaks every once in a while), which, by the way, I'm extremely thankful to Respawn for as it allowed my friends who were too afraid of From games' notorious difficulty to finally have a taste of the formula. They mostly liked it, but those that struggled with Fallen Order, unfortunately, have no chance in Sekiro.

Absolutely agree with how the world is laid out and how it evolves. I especially like how you can mostly point out where you've been or are going to from the higher vantage points on the map.

I preferred to focus on straight swordplay instead of relying on prosthetic tools, so I capped out my Spirit Emblems somewhat easily. The only prosthetic I ever really relied on was the Firecracker. Also, Dragonrot seemed like it would stress me out at first but I ended up not really paying much attention to it as it was mostly inconsequential and was easy to cure for me.

I adored the game from the start but my appreciation reached another level after going through everything, and especially after playing Fallen Order. Lots of love to Respawn, but From's expertise in this genre is unmatched. Definitely pushed the punishing/rewarding envelope with Sekiro.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The systems are about exceptional reaction times, and no, that isn't fair.

There is nothing unfair about Isshin. His moves are well telegraphed and make sense, everything is reactable and you don't have to worry too much about From's usual crazy boss hitboxes since almost everything is parryable/counterable. Probably my favourite boss they have ever done.

Compare that to fighting Nameless King in DS3 where the camera is spazzing out in the first phase, or some of their games bosses that had absurd hitboxes and strong moves that don't quite make sense visually so you have to just learn them all the hard way.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
I did it on the first attempt while the last boss took many, many attempts. I think doing the tower fight after the other parts of the game made it stupidly easy with the upgrades. Actually OWL and That first Gen fight were some of the easiest bosses in the game imo.
Wow we are opposite, I died so many times to Gen and Owl, but beat Isshin on my first try. I think I got really lucky with Isshin though.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Just go on youtube to study the boss' moveset before trying it again.

You'll absorb it better when you don't have to worry about staying alive at the same time.

Though with Sekiro, the "trick" is that if you don't know what to do about a particular attack, the answer is usually just parry it.

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Tbh that was always overstated and the cost of death is actually less severe than their other games since you retain half the xp of the current level, as well as xp and money being less important in general.
I'd assume the death penalties hit people differently and in different ways. All it was to me was more "work" and less fun to recover from death in that game; I had to worry about NPC well-being beyond my own setbacks. Coupled with a lot of dying when you're trying to learn an enemies' patterns, and it just becomes more burden I didn't want to deal with.

Completely subjective stuff.

Bumrush

Oct 25, 2017

I actually feel like they've shifted their thinking towards "base game = tough but fair, DLC = batshit crazy" ā€” at least with their big RPGs

BB and DS3 both followed this trend and honestly, I would be perfectly fine if Elden Ring followed the same structure

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'd assume the death penalties hit people differently and in different ways. All it was to me was more "work" and less fun to recover from death in that game; I had to worry about NPC well-being beyond my own setbacks. Coupled with a lot of dying when you're trying to learn an enemies' patterns, and it just becomes more burden I didn't want to deal with.

Completely subjective stuff.

The Dragonrot stuff turns out to be bullshit anyway.

I don't know where the misinformation came from but npcs don't die from it. The only thing it hinders is that you can't progress their side story.

On top of that it only triggers when you die and can't ress on the spot so against fights where you're not locked into the area, you can just ress and run to recover before trying again.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
There is nothing unfair about Isshin. His moves are well telegraphed and make sense, everything is reactable and you don't have to worry too much about From's usual crazy boss hitboxes since almost everything is parryable/counterable. Probably my favourite boss they have ever done.

Compare that to fighting Nameless King in DS3 where the camera is spazzing out in the first phase, or some of their games bosses that had absurd hitboxes and strong moves that don't quite make sense visually so you have to just learn them all the hard way.
Strong disagree. Strong, strong, strong disagree. In fact, I'm just gonna go ahead and say you're wrong, because as I recall, I spent 70 hours playing the game and could not beat it despite looking at advice, videos, etc and being entirely able to beat every other obstacle in the game leading up to it (aside from that monster thing, fuck that thing). And I say it's unfair for the exact reason I laid out - it's a boss rush! You're expected to beat 4 bosses in a row, and I don't consider it to be balanced around that fact at all. Genichiro is the only stage that's easy, and even then I got my ass kicked in that phase multiple times.

Add the fact that every death entails a huge amount of waiting then running back up to the boss, then having to skip the cutscenes again, and it's also now no longer fun.

Like I appreciate people that are better gamers than me and might have an easier time than me. But compared to your average gamer I'm pretty decent and the game is entirely too hard. I do not have the reflexes required, and the attacks are not telegraphed to the extent I could get anywhere near beating it. I much more strongly believe that those who condescend into the "not difficult" territory are just people too good to recognize that not everybody shares their skills.

And again, I think it's fine to tailor a game to the hardcore. But it's inherently unfair because there are no ways to persevere except for being exceptional at game mechanics. You can't summon, you can't upgrade, you can't bring extra health replenishment items, you can't get extra lives, you just have to be good at the games central mechanic. And if I can't learn that mechanic well enough in 70 hours to beat the games final boss, I am absolutely going to blame the game design as being unfair for being inherently too difficult for me to pass. I could absolutely persevere against 2 phases, maybe 3, but there's no fucking way I was going to try to get through 4 when every little mistake can cost me a significant chunk of my HP.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Strong disagree. Strong, strong, strong disagree. In fact, I'm just gonna go ahead and say you're wrong, because as I recall, I spent 70 hours playing the game and could not beat it despite looking at advice, videos, etc and being entirely able to beat every other obstacle in the game leading up to it (aside from that monster thing, fuck that thing). And I say it's unfair for the exact reason I laid out - it's a boss rush! You're expected to beat 4 bosses in a row, and I don't consider it to be balanced around that fact at all. Genichiro is the only stage that's easy, and even then I got my ass kicked in that phase multiple times.

Add the fact that every death entails a huge amount of waiting then running back up to the boss, then having to skip the cutscenes again, and it's also now no longer fun.

Like I appreciate people that are better gamers than me and might have an easier time than me. But compared to your average gamer I'm pretty decent and the game is entirely too hard. I do not have the reflexes required, and the attacks are not telegraphed to the extent I could get anywhere near beating it. I much more strongly believe that those who condescend into the "not difficult" territory are just people too good to recognize that not everybody shares their skills.

And again, I think it's fine to tailor a game to the hardcore. But it's inherently unfair because there are no ways to persevere except for being exceptional at game mechanics. You can't summon, you can't upgrade, you can't bring extra health replenishment items, you can't get extra lives, you just have to be good at the games central mechanic. And if I can't learn that mechanic well enough in 70 hours to beat the games final boss, I am absolutely going to blame the game design as being unfair for being inherently too difficult for me to pass. I could absolutely persevere against 2 phases, maybe 3, but there's no fucking way I was going to try to get through 4 when every little mistake can cost me a significant chunk of my HP.

The run to the boss is a few seconds whereas many of their games bosses require a huge trek ie. Lawrence or the Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne etc.
That game felt super lenient with save points in comparison. My friend who we take turns playing these games with often says hes not good enough but he still made it to Isshins final form a bunch before I beat him on one of my goes. Of course it helped that the umbrella shinobi tool blocked basically everything outside of the lightning.

Anyone saying its "not difficult" are either lying or god gamers though. Its still one of the harder games to release in a while.

Last edited:

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
The run to the boss is a few seconds whereas many of their games bosses require a huge trek ie. Lawrence or the Cainhurst Castle in Bloodborne etc.
That game felt super lenient with save points in comparison. My friend who we take turns playing these games with often says hes not good enough but he still made it to Isshins final form a bunch before I beat him on one of my goes. Of course it helped that the umbrella shinobi tool blocked basically everything outside of the lightning.
I'm not complaining about the run as much as the loading screen + the run + the cutscenes. I honestly would have tried significantly more to beat him if it weren't for the 90 second interim every attempt.

God I hope loading screens improve next gen if for no other reason that From's games šŸ˜­

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not complaining about the run as much as the loading screen + the run + the cutscenes. I honestly would have tried significantly more to beat him if it weren't for the 90 second interim every attempt.

God I hope loading screens improve next gen if for no other reason that From's games šŸ˜­

Is that on console? The loading times weren't bad for me on PC, like a few seconds at most.
I remember Bloodborne being pretty bad in that regard.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas

Wow. On PC load times are near instant (on an SSD of course). If you die on Isshin you're back in the fight no more than 15 seconds later. Probably more like 10.

EDIT: Actually watching some footage, the run back is longer than I remember at 10 seconds. So probably about 18-20 seconds when you include the YOU DIED screen. Still a far cry from 90.

Last edited:

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was the easiest From game to be honest, at least after "understanding" the system. The hardest part was learning mikiri counter (?) since it's a new reaction (doing a direct forward dodge) but after that it was smooth sailing due to generous amount of stamina and parry window

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Lol yes console (base PS4) load times suuuuuuuck. I don't know the exact time it took me to return for each fight, but looking at my Genichiro fight, it was about 60 seconds from death to getting back to the battle each time. And that's a long wait when you're doing it dozens and dozens of times.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Nice write up. I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.

My biggest issue with From's recent offerings are the bosses' health pool. Having two phases is ok, I guess, and the fast one they pulled on us with Ariandel in the DS3 DLC was fun, but Sekiro and it's three to four health bars for a bunch of the bosses is just lame. The fights end up going on for a lot longer, which leads to a lot of frustration, especially if you die in the third phase.

I think From should go back to one or two phases, and just make the bosses hit harder, so you have less room for error. I really disliked these 10 minute + boss battles. Messing up on the third or fourth phase was so defeating.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
I love the game but I really didn't like the spirit emblem system, just like the quicksilver bullets in Bloodborne it feels weird and makes no sense, like how does bullets transfer into arcane(magic)?

Spirit Emblem is even more stupid in my opinion, why not just use a cool down system? It not only encourages people to give new tools a shot but it also solves many balance issues such as spamming umbrella to win, as for projectile tools like shuriken that sometimes rely on rapid attacks, make it so you can shoot like 5 or 10 of them before it needs cooling down, think of it like a magazine, and that capacity is upgradable as well.

With the cool down system you won't have to worry about wasting emblems, you can test out any new tools or upgrades on the training dummy as many times as you like.
IT ENCOURAGES EXPERIMENT ON NEW PLAY STYLE AND TACTICS

Either FROM should hire me or I'm failing to see big issues with my suggestion.

Last edited: