• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
603a6059-04e6-4238-8862-18fa0c28fc46._CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970__.jpg

When NSMBU was announced as a launch title for the Wii U, it was met with a lukewarm reception. The Wii U was already not received in an overtly positive light, and this game likely contributed to that reception. With the system juggling with its identity between a successor and a peripheral to the Wii, Nintendo making their flagship Mario game look and sound nearly identical to their Wii Mario title no doubt contributed to that. Reviews seemed pretty middling as well, many rightfully claiming that it is a largely similar experience to the previous 2D Mario games.

So, 7 years after release, how is this purportedly mediocre Mario?

NSMBU has aged exceptionally well, and likely will continue to do so. From day 1 the visual style and music have been unambitious, but at least pertaining to the former I truly don't mind. Visually everything is incredibly clean and easy to read; the game looks undoubtably "Mario," like Super Mario World in HD with absolutely no risks taken to change up the visual style. The lighting is great and makes the flat level geometry pop in a way to fool you into believing it has more than two dimensions to it. Artistically, the music is truly the biggest offender. The music is awful. While melodically not the exact same as the previous NSMB games, the same, or at least incredibly similar instruments are used that would make you second guess if anything was changed at all. The main melody is very boring too. That being said, the music choices make sense to me with this being a very relaxed game. It's incredibly inoffensive and I can see why Nintendo made the choices that they did, as much as I would have preferred something with the slightest inkling of ambition behind it.

So, looking past this games presentational "ambitions," how is the game itself?

I started playing this again to gain a bit of insight on Mario level design. I have been making levels in Mario Maker 2, and needed some inspiration. Considering this, I couldn't have asked for a better side-scroller to get inspiration from. NSMBU is teeming with ideas in every level. Despite being largely derivative of its previous incarnations in almost every facet, the level design on display here is pure 2D Mario. In fact, it's probably the best 2D Mario game period. What impresses me so much about the level design is its multifaceted, multi-tiered nature. The levels are busting with multiple routes and secrets at every corner. You're rewarded for exploration, executing tricky platforming, and so much more. Obviously the Star Coins are the main motivator to explore and traverse levels, but they didn't stop there. Secrets can be found in almost every level, which included desirable items, Yoshis, 1-ups, etc. Obviously it's rewarding to get all the Star Coins, but it's a real treat when you discover a Yoshi you didn't know existed, or a secret room to net some 1-ups from.

I believe that if two things changed pertaining to NSMBU it would have been received significantly better.

1) The game released later into the Wii U's life, or on Switch
2) The game had more ambitious production values

The presentation of the game is so derivative and bland that it's hard to separate it from the previous NSMB games, but the level design is true master class stuff. The game is nothing short of a great, if nearly perfect 2D Mario experience, and really should be played by anyone who loves platformers.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
It's a fine game, I think it just suffered from too many NSMB titles in a short period, and it being a bit deflating as a Mario launch title for a new Nintendo console.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
The presentation of the game is so derivative and bland that it's hard to separate it from the previous NSMB games, but the level design is true master class stuff. The game is nothing short of a great, if nearly perfect 2D Mario experience, and really should be played by anyone who loves platformers.
People have been saying this since it originally launched. Unfortunately the presentation is so aggressively derivative and bland that a lot of people can't get past it. I didn't even play the previous NSMB games and I was still feeling NSMB fatigue before the game came out.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I bought this using one of the Online two-for-$100 passes after readying Jeremy Parish's recommendation:

www.polygon.com

Ranking the core Super Mario games

If it stars Mario and involves platforming, it's in here

I do have a question about the game though which went unanswered in the OT:

Do the world map level icons change based on the secrets and collectibles you've found in each one?

I remember in most recent Mario games like this (mainly New Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World on 3DS and WiiU) I thought I remembered the level icons changing once you collected all the secrets in them. But so far for me, they're staing blue even when I collect the three star coins. So are there other secrets I'm missing? Or does the game just not track whether you've collected the three star coins?

Are there also rewards for completing each level with each character? Or is it just a matter of playing whichever characters I enjoy playing as the most?

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
You sum it up pretty well and I wholeheartedly agree. Sat down to replay both it and Luigi U on Switch earlier this year, also went for 100% just to get as full of a picture as possible, and my takeaway was "brilliant level design. as fun to look at as a slice of white bread".

I also massively appreciated the overworld feeling like a coherent place for ones. It's still not on the level of Super Mario World but I've accepted that that's never gonna happen anyway. Especially with how Mario Maker is basically Nintendo admitting that they're out of fuel for more 2D Mario.

OP
OP
Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
You sum it up pretty well and I wholeheartedly agree. Sat down to replay both it and Luigi U on Switch earlier this year, also went for 100% just to get as full of a picture as possible, and my takeaway was "brilliant level design. as fun to look at as a slice of white bread".
Thing is, visually, I think the game is fine. The absolute bare minimum of "fine," but it's very easy on the eyes and is very recognizably "Mario." The music is the biggest offender, though, and deserves to be derided.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Lest not forget that NSMB2 also released a few months prior to great financial success alongside the new 3DS XL. So along comes Wii U and NSMBU merely 3-ish months later and yea...

U is the better game for sure, but it was derivative looking and only the hardcore likely really felt angling for more in such a short period. Especially when the asking price was an entirely new console to match for anyone else. Many of which possibly just bought a similar game and some even a 3DS in that period.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I really loved New SMB Wii a lot, and played it to pieces. So when New SMB U came out, I could barely play it due to fatigue. Now that it's been a while since Wii, I think I'm finally about ready to play New SMB U and love it.

Still, I really hope they change up the art style and especially music for the next one.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Truth.

NSMBU is a fantastic game. If it weren't for the NSMB aesthetic being lacking, it would widely be considered an absolute classic.

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Damn it! I thought this was a thread about Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on Game Boy Color and got so excited!
Well, I'm not a big New fan but I thought the Wii U games and it's Switch port were great!
Even with the quirky Mario Maker creations, there's nothing quite like these perfectly breezy quick-hit stages.

gazoinks

Jul 9, 2019
Man, you're making me want to play this. This and 3D world both missed me because I barely played WiiU.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
The levels with the "Starry Night" backgrounds are some of the most visually striking ever created by Nintendo. NSMBU is a brilliant platformer whose only downfall is fatigue with the NSMB formula.

I played through it over the last two weeks on Switch and loved it. It's sneaky challenging in places

Rhiwion

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Thing is, visually, I think the game is fine. The absolute bare minimum of "fine," but it's very easy on the eyes and is very recognizably "Mario." The music is the biggest offender, though, and deserves to be derided.

I'm honestly not one to blast a game for visuals, but all the NSMB games blend into each other at some point with almost nothing that makes the games stand out, visually speaking. I wanna say, the best looking games are the original and 2 by merit of the simplistic art style looking way better on hardware that can't output HD resolutions.

...and I think it's telling that I can't comment on the music beyond liking that the enemies dance along to the beat. It's pretty forgetable but that's true for all of the New games.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Found almost nothing impressive about this. Couldn't believe that Nintendo chose this title to show off the Wii U for it's launch. The game was barely any different from NSMBWII. It came way too close to NSMB2 as well. What was Nintendo thinking releasing these games so close to each other? Anyway wish 2D Mario made the same sort of leaps that 3D Mario does, but instead it's always the safest possible retread banking on nostalgia with these NSMB games. This was the first sign that the Wii U was not going to be the system that i wished it would be. Pretty disappointing game. They could have done so much more for the first HD Mario title.

The Deluxe port is equally underwhelming. It really has no substantial additional content to warrant the BIG GOLD DELUXE logo on the cover for such an old game. With how much time passed between when the Wii U version came out and Deluxe, i expected the port to be much better or they could have just made another brand new NSMB game in that time period, which would have been preferable. Revamped music and visuals should of been the least they could do. Because there is a ton of room for improvement on that front.

Apr 9, 2019
I agree - I appreciate it even more now that I've played Mario Maker 2. It's really hard to find engaging classic-style levels in that game...

The original NSMB on DS had a nice soundtrack though. It had a bit of character. The music in this is eh, which is mostly down to the arrangements. There's an arrangement from a Mario & Sonic game of the water level music for NSMB, and it really makes the composition shine. Same goes for much of the art - it's all so constrained.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
NSMBU is one of my favorite Mario games. Yes, musically it's pretty bland and artistically it's very samey to the other NSMB games. But since this was my first NSMB game, the "rehashed" complaint isn't as huge for me. And gameplay wise I think it's really solid. It has the best controls in a Mario game yet, the levels are fun, and it has a big world map like Super Mario World which increases the immersion. It's a solid 8.5 for me.

NSMBD though is undoubtedly a cash grab. I could see people making this argument against NSMBU, but at least that was a new game. NSMBUD is literally the same thing but $60. It goes with a bad trend the Switch has of just porting games without adding much or anything, and selling them for full price.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also currently replaying it on Switch.

I'm loving the game now, when I played it at launch on Wii U, I remember only enjoying it, due to how close to NSMB2 it was.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
Totally agree...unfortunately it was sandwiched between the release of the Wii and 3DS version of NSMUB which are beyond boring and bland. Also, it was positioned as a system seller, which made people look at it even more critically than it should have been.

FutureLarking

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You know what it suffers from? You die and it returns you to the world map after a short loading period. And then another loading period to get back into the level. Why. Why waste everybodies time. Why take me out of the level. And with that extra RAM over the Wii U version, why is the world map not just kept in memory anyway ;__;

That and the pointlessly archaic save system. Just auto save after every level?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
It's a fine game, I think it just suffered from too many NSMB titles in a short period, and it being a bit deflating as a Mario launch title for a new Nintendo console.
Yep, it was exactly this. Nintendo released NSMB2 shortly before NSMBU came out and NSMBWii came out 3 years before both of them. It was way too many of these kind of games in too short of a timespan.

I played NSMBU and thought it was really good. Granted, there wasn't much else at the time when the Wii U launched, so I had to make this last. I also played New Super Luigi U and had a lot of fun with that. And then I replayed them both when I wanted them on the same disc. I only replayed them because the save data wouldn't transfer. I still had fun but it was kind of fatiguing. I haven't played New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe *breathes* on Switch, though, just because I've already played this game so many times that another playthrough is not worth it. I'd rather they just released a new game or just end it. It's great for those who haven't played the game before but for those of us who have, it's not worth it.

BTW, OP, if you have NSMBWii, consider trying out Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii. It's like a direct sequel and is a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
You know what it suffers from? You die and it returns you to the world map after a short loading period. And then another loading period to get back into the level. Why. Why waste everybodies time. Why take me out of the level. And with that extra RAM over the Wii U version, why is the world map not just kept in memory anyway ;__;

Yeah just finished the Wii game and it was annoying in that one too. I hear it's worse in Wii U/Switch.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
This is a good game indeed. But for a first party game developped internally, it is so disapointing visually speaking. I mean who in his right mind thought using the Wii models was a good idea ?!

Oct 31, 2017
I agree that aesthetically, it is underwhelming. But mechanically and from a course design perspective, it is pretty great and actually quite underrated. That said, I would have preferred if they took more aesthetic risks with 2D Mario and the game definitely would have been better served if it had released with more time between it and NSMB2 on the 3DS (which I didn't play).

Of the NSMB games, it's probably the closest to the quality of SMB, SMB3, and SMW.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Aggressively derivative which is the antithesis of the Super Mario series and why I love and respect it so. There's so little joy to be had here, any generated by the level design is smothered by the slavish adherence to form and nostalgia.
Perhaps my least favourite game in the series.
It's of course technically better than, say, Super Mario Land for example, but I personally can't stand it.

OP
OP
Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017

So agree with all of this. NSMB as a series has always been a slave to nostalgia, meanwhile the more experimental and ambitious titles like 3D World and Odyssey were smart enough to do away with said archaic systems. Mario Maker 2 really made me realize how big a bummer it is to get kicked out of the levels in NSMBU, considering in the former you start right back at a checkpoint in whatever level you died in.

I am optimistic that Nintendo will eventually make a new 2D Mario game that harbors a new aesthetic... hopefully based on the Tanabe art pieces, but that's just hope! However, even with that optimism for something visually new, I don't think it will be quite as good a game as NSMBU. The levels here are just too damn good.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
When I started replaying it earlier this year I definitely felt the death timing and I put it down. For whatever reason last week I picked it back up and went through the snow, beach and jungle worlds and it's not bothering me anymore

IMO this is still the best 2D Mario game. The level design excellence is really consistent

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
People have been saying this since it originally launched. Unfortunately the presentation is so aggressively derivative and bland that a lot of people can't get past it. I didn't even play the previous NSMB games and I was still feeling NSMB fatigue before the game came out.

I really don't know why, but I was feeling the NSMB fatigue back when New Super Mario Bros. Wii came out. It was only the second one, but I think it just felt like everywhere I looked, THAT was the game they were advertising and it just looked really boring.

I'm sure it's a fine enough game but... yeah, put me in the camp who can't get past how much they don't like the art style.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
It's a fun enough game with some great level design, but the aesthetic is so overdone and painfully generic by now, and the music so grating in places, that it almost feels like less than the sum of its parts. It feels soulless, a cardinal sin for a Mario game.

I think it's time for something new in the 2D Mario space.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
Aggressively derivative which is the antithesis of the Super Mario series and why I love and respect it so. There's so little joy to be had here, any generated by the level design is smothered by the slavish adherence to form and nostalgia.
Perhaps my least favourite game in the series.
It's of course technically better than, say, Super Mario Land for example, but I personally can't stand it.
Same here. I don't play platformers for their technical obstacle design (though I can appreciate it while playing), but for the way the novel aesthetics and kinetics work together to bring a smile on my face. Saying it's super derivative but the best platformer doesn't really work for me.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I remember in most recent Mario games like this (mainly New Super Mario 3D Land and 3D World on 3DS and WiiU) I thought I remembered the level icons changing once you collected all the secrets in them. But so far for me, they're staing blue even when I collect the three star coins. So are there other secrets I'm missing? Or does the game just not track whether you've collected the three star coins?

The game has two main semi-hidden things to 'collect' over the course of the game. The first is the star coins, and the second is the secret exits. Star coins are tracked in a level progress screen from the main menu, but I do think exits are hinted at by the color of the icon for each stage.

OP
OP
Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
This is a good game indeed. But for a first party game developped internally, it is so disapointing visually speaking. I mean who in his right mind thought using the Wii models was a good idea ?!
Was it the same models?? I feel like they must've been at least moderately updated...

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I Played it with a friend and we really enjoyed it.

But i echo everyones complaints. the art design leaves alot to be inspired (espcially the copy and paste castle levels) and the really unfun boo levels. Also the music is just the same track with different pitches and slightly changed instruments. It makes for a really repetitive experience.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i recently finished luigi U, i have to say i ended up absolutely loving this package. took me around 50 hours to 100% both campaigns, and i had a blast.
i have to say tho, the fun is in trying to collect everything and finding all the secrets. just speeding thru to the end isn't that fun.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I bought this using one of the Online two-for-$100 passes after readying Jeremy Parish's recommendation:

www.polygon.com

Ranking the core Super Mario games

If it stars Mario and involves platforming, it's in here

I do have a question about the game though which went unanswered in the OT:

Do the world map level icons change based on the secrets and collectibles you've found in each one?
No they don't.

Are there also rewards for completing each level with each character? Or is it just a matter of playing whichever characters I enjoy playing as the most?

The game does track your 3 star coin progress for each level. it's an option in the menus. There is no visible cue on the map.

The game does not track who you complete the levels with. If you change your character during the game (single player) you will lose all of the extra lives that you've gained and resume with the default, 5 lives..

i recently finished luigi U, i have to say i ended up absolutely loving this package. took me around 50 hours to 100% both campaigns, and i had a blast.
i have to say tho, the fun is in trying to collect everything and finding all the secrets. just speeding thru to the end isn't that fun.

You did it in the end. I 100%ed Mario U but stopped with Luigi U as I got newer games.

Pata Hikari

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
There is no greater evidence at how shallow and surface level a lot of gamers and media are that this game's brilliance was ignored.

And the criticism of there being "too much" Mario was absurd.

New Super Mario Bros was released in 2006.

New Super Mario Bros Wii was released in 2009

And New Super Mario Bros. U was released in 2012.

These are not yearly releases rushed one after the other. There was a three year gap between each game.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
There is no greater evidence at how shallow and surface level a lot of gamers and media are that this game's brilliance was ignored.

These are not yearly releases rushed one after the other. There was a three year gap between each game.
You're forgetting about New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the 3DS (also released in 2012).

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I don't get how the NSMB games are derided as being aesthetically bland when SMW is too. SMW at least has mostly good music going for it, I guess.

OP
OP
Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017

NSMB2 was released 3 months prior to U, tho.

Not only that, it's not that there's "too much" Mario, the main criticism is that the NSMB games are too similar to one another. I love and will defend NSMBU, obviously I will, I made this topic, but the criticisms are valid.