• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Castle-of-Cagliostro-1.png

My roommate and I have been low-key obsessed with this film for the better half of this year, and we've recently revisited it. For those who don't know, this was Miyazaki's first feature length theatrical production. Using pivotal characters from the Lupin III franchise, Miyazaki crafted a unique world and story that is a joy to watch from beginning to end. I've only just recently dipped my feet into other films and episodes in the series, but Miyazaki's take on it is wildly different. The original show created by Monkey Punch is crass, laden with violence, nudity, and chaos. Miyazaki's film makes sure to have a healthy dose of chaos, but his film abstains from the overt violence and sexualization of characters. This makes sense, considering Miyazaki's family friendly career that came soon after this flick.

Regardless of the franchise's history, Castle of Cagliostro stands on its own as a fun-as-hell tale that grips you from beginning to end. I've never seen such well choreographed car chases and gun fights in an animated feature, but this film has it. The castle itself reeks of Miyazaki's touch as well; it's such a well realized environment that you feel like you could map out in your head. The movie takes you atop its highest towers, and well below it underground. You see its many rooms in excellent detail befitting of one of the greatest Japanese animators; the characters that take you throughout the castle are a joy to watch as well.

I can't recommend this movie more to lovers of animation. It's a hallmark Miyazaki film, and it gives a unique take on a classic, yet niche franchise.

I'm curious about Lupin fans' opinions of the movie, and what other Lupin flicks they would recommend. I really want to see the new CGI movie coming out, but I don't know if that will ever even come stateside, to be honest. Do any of the other movies scratch that same itch as Castle of Cagliostro? Are there movies, or TV seasons/episodes/series that may be different in tone, but are still must watches?

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
While I like the movie, I dislike Lupin's more heroic portrayal in this movie as it is a bit too far removed from the character to me. If you have want to check out other Lupin movies, for some classic Lupin check out the movie before this one, Secret of Mamo, or First Contact for a more modern take on Lupin, both excellent. The new CGI movie is fun, but a bit too standard in the script department, and lacked some more action set pieces in my opinion.

Also do check out the red Jacket 70's series, especially from the 2nd season onwards when they got on a roll!

Oct 27, 2017
One of my all time favs and was the way I got introduced to Lupin III as a kid. I agree that I can't recommend it highly enough.

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I watched this on Netflix for the first time the other month.

A truly fantastic film, and it's great to see the beginnings of Miyazaki as a director.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Was the first Lupin III movie I watched and definitely one of my favorites in the series. The film score is excellent.

Oct 25, 2017
Movie was hugely influential on Spielberg and Musker and Clements ripped this film's climax for The Great Mouse Detective

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I watched it again for the first time in years on my birthday and it's basically a perfect movie.

I wish Miyazaki had done more Lupin films.

Last edited:

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Watched it for the first time in 2019 and really enjoyed it. The car chase sequence at the start of the film and the climax of the film impressed me today, so I cod see how it influenced so many people.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Most of the 2nd half of the first Lupin anime series was directed by Miyazaki too and you can see the show changing towards Cagliostro's direction, like how Lupin starts the show killing a lot (aside from the first episode which oddly has a looney tunes style explosion) and Zenigata genuinely wants to kill him too, not just lock him up, and yet later both are much more friendly.

A couple of the Miyazaki episodes get very close to Cagliostro's atmosphere, especially the one where Lupin helps the daughter of an old friend. It's an older tv show though, so the animation isn't really anything like Cagliostro's. He directed two episodes in the 2nd series though and those two do have great animation alongside overall carrying the same style as Cagliostro.

The Lupin III: Secret of the Fuma movie has a very similar animation style to Cagliotro's too, although it's not by Miyazaki. It ups the violence a bit, but still nothing too bad.

Lupin III: Part V the last tv series had episodes referencing all the different phases of Lupin animated appearances, including one that mixes some elements from the first tv series and Cagliostro, Cagliostro's events themselves are also referenced near the ending by the location of a certain hideout.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I'm bummed because I can't find my old DVD, and I hate the dub on the Netflix version. Before the subtitle people yell at me for not just watching in Japanese, I watch cartoons to fall asleep and reading sorta wakes me up.

This is oddly my favorite Miyazaki film, despite having seen many of his others. It's very well-paced and I definitely enjoyed how well-done the layout of the castle itself worked. The characters are wonderful and everything is fun despite the melancholy ending.

I'm quite attached to the David Hayter dub as it's how I first saw the film but I'll check it out on Netflix as well.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
This is oddly my favorite Miyazaki film, despite having seen many of his others. It's very well-paced and I definitely enjoyed how well-done the layout of the castle itself worked. The characters are wonderful and everything is fun despite the melancholy ending.

I'm quite attached to the David Hayter dub as it's how I first saw the film but I'll check it out on Netflix as well.

The Netflix dub is an older and not great. Lupin is called Wolf for example.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
I somehow had never watched the movie until a couple of years ago and loved the hell out of it. I think the blu-ray has both dubs, although I stuck with the new one as the audio was better and I had no nostalgia for the old one (although I can appreciate preferring it as I have a soft spot for the old Totoro dub).

It's a fun, goofy, joyful movie with some fantastic comedy bits. The clock hands clicking together at the end is absolute perfection.

Scottius

Oct 31, 2017
I'm curious about Lupin fans' opinions of the movie, and what other Lupin flicks they would recommend. I really want to see the new CGI movie coming out, but I don't know if that will ever even come stateside, to be honest. Do any of the other movies scratch that same itch as Castle of Cagliostro? Are there movies, or TV seasons/episodes/series that may be different in tone, but are still must watches?

I'm a huge Lupin fan and I love Cagliostro. It's just such a fun film even if it's not the most source accurate version of the characters.

I'd recommend basically everything Lupin because I'm just such a fan but especially the First Contact film which shows a version of how the crew all met.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly has some of the most exhilarating action sequences ever. It's interesting how many other movies and shows have used it for inspiration.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
The one with David Hayter is my preferred dub

Other than the unnecessary swearing they added to edge it up (tho they added a swear free edit on the special edition release), it's mine too actually.
I was an idiot and sold off my Special Edition Blu-ray when I got the Amazon Hayao Miyazaki collection that actually DOES NOT have that dub. :(

KoreanBBQ

PR guy at The Amplifier Group
Verified
Nov 29, 2017
In my top 10 list of all-time favorite movies. Just delightful, funny, sad, touching, etc. All the feels.

TheJollyCorner

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I adore the Carl Macek/Streamline dub.
It feels so much more natural and earnest. Bob Berger is a wonderful Lupin.

FnordChan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Beautiful Chapel Hill, NC
The original show created by Monkey Punch is crass, laden with violence, nudity, and chaos.

You say this as if it's a bad thing! Admittedly, Miyazaki's take on the series is now essentially the canon, but I still appreciate the more unhinged tone of the original manga and the earliest anime episodes.

I really want to see the new CGI movie coming out, but I don't know if that will ever even come stateside, to be honest.[\quote]

Discotek Media is steadily releasing vast swaths of Lupin in the US, including the first two TV series (with the fourth Lupin III TV Part II collection due out at the end of the month), the recent Part IV TV release, and a growing selection of movies and TV specials available on both Blu-ray and DVD. I'd be confident that either they'll snag the new CGI movie license or, if not, it'll be because someone else beat them to it and the flick gets a US release that way.

Do any of the other movies scratch that same itch as Castle of Cagliostro? Are there movies, or TV seasons/episodes/series that may be different in tone, but are still must watches?

To second several other suggestions:

- Miyazaki took over work on the 1st Lupin TV series as of Episode 7, so if you're curious to see how he developed his take on the character, you can start there - with the caveat that tone isn't quite nailed down at that point and it's early days all around for both Miyazaki and the franchise itself.

-- The 2nd TV series basically canonizes the Miyazaki interpretation and is consistently fun, though not necessarily often brilliant. That said, there are two episodes Miyazaki came back to direct late in the series run: Episode 145, "Albatross, Wings of Death", and Episode 155, "Farewell My Beloved Lupin", both of which are absolutely top notch and well worth tracking down.

- My second favorite Lupin film (behind Cagliostro, of course) is The Fuma Conspiracy, which is tremendously entertaining. It's about Goemon getting married - until ninja attack during the wedding ceremony and all hell breaks loose. While the regular voice cast and composer Yuji Ohno are absent, the animation is top notch and the story is a hoot. Sadly, the Discotek DVD release is out of print but hopefully you'll be able to track it down.

- Of the other films an specials, I'm fond of Mystery of Mamo and Legend of the Gold of Babylon, both of which are moderately batshit insane. The caveat is that these are both more directly inspired by the original manga, so your mileage may vary. The same applies to the more recent Fujiko Mine TV series and the blue jacket TV shows (Parts IV and V), plus OVAs like Jigen's Gravestone and Goemon's Blood Spray, but the quality really is top notch so you may wanna give them a shot either way.

TheWraith

Oct 28, 2017
You say this as if it's a bad thing! Admittedly, Miyazaki's take on the series is now essentially the canon, but I still appreciate the more unhinged tone of the original manga and the earliest anime episodes.
I wouldn't say Miyazaki's take is the canon, as he is way more of a Robin Hood like good guy in Cagliostro then he is in say the new CGI movie or recent blue jacket series.

halcyjon

Mar 22, 2018
Ireland
Wings of Death Albatross is a 20 minute Lupin episode also directed by Miyazaki and I think it's even better than Cagliostro. It's so perfect. It also has Miyazaki going for sexy which you don't see much and it's just as tasteful as you would assume.

Oct 25, 2017
This and the red jacket series are my only exposure to the Lupin III franchise, and I loved both of them. Fujiko's difference in depiction between the two always confused me though. I was used to the manipulative master of disguise from the series, but in this movie she was more of this heavily-armed commando with just the one disguise.

Last edited: