• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which was better?

• The Evil Within

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The Evil Within 2

Votes: 66 49.3%
  • I haven't played both, but feel like I need to vote in polls anyway

Votes: 25 18.7%

• Total voters
Nov 8, 2017
As the director on Resident Evil (and it's remake), RE4, Dino Crisis, Vanquish and more, Shinji Mikami is understandably one of the best known industry personalities. After working for years at Capcom, Mikami went to Clover Studios, then Platinum Games, and finally in 2010 helped establish a new studio called Tango Gameworks. It started working on multiple projects, including an open world SciFi game and something a bit more supernatural, but after some early financial troubles, Zenimax stepped in with an offer to buy the studio which was accepted. Work on their SciFi project was sidelined and the supernatural project, called "Zwei" early in development went full steam ahead. This project eventually morphed into a story that did have a kind of SF angle to it, releasing in Japan under the title "Psycho Break" and in the west under the title "The Evil Within" in 2014.

bannerz8kaw.jpg

In 2017, a sequel was released, but curiously, Mikami was not the director. In interviews, he claimed that it was time to let the younger generation of game developers shine, although he stayed on in a producing role and was definitely still involved with the game's development.

mikamiandco2small87j38.jpg

Mikami (left) and John Johanas (right). Johanas was the director on TEW2.

mikamiandcooxknt.jpg

Ikumi Nakamura and Mikami. Ikumi was the creative director on Ghostwire: Tokyo until she left Tango.

In 2014, I played about 2 hours of The Evil Within. I just got to the village when I stopped playing. I don't really remember why I stopped, but it evidently hadn't grabbed me, and I do recall being irritated by technical issues. I think I waited for a patch maybe, then just forgot to go back. In any case, a few weeks ago I was reminded of the game and decided to take a crack at it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Evil Within (2014)

Comparisons to Resident Evil, RE4 specifically, are inevitable. The naming is reminiscent, even down to how Japan and the West got a different name. If Evil is Within, then you could say it... a Resident Evil. The protagonist, Sebastian Castellanos is a police officer, who is kind of physically halfway between Leon S Kennedy (who is also a police officer) and Louis Sera. Early on in the game you encounter a masked chainsaw dude. There's an ongonig plot about how you might be turning into a zombie and have to resist it. One of your fellow police officers, Kidman, serves as a quasi-Ada Wong character, being in league with a shadowy corporate overlord and having a scene where the protagonist goes part-zombie and tries to attack her and then she runs away. Arsenals are similar. Mechanics, perspective and whatnot are similar in places. The "village" in TEW is strongly reminiscent of RE4, and later in the game there's a mansion that's reminiscent of OG resident evil. It's not all the same, of course, but nobody could play this and honestly think it wasn't a riff on a lot of the same ideas.

When the game launched, it copped a fair bit of flack for technical issues on PC, as well as for all platforms having black bars that turned the game into a 2.5:1 aspect ratio. But that aspect ratio is combined with what we could generously call a "limited" Field of View, which caused issues.

Positives:

• The addition of stealth mechanics are something I think is smart for a horror game. It lets you have a lot of tension without being strictly helpless. You're playing cat and mouse with enemies who are quite dangerous, but if you do it right you can take them all out and feel like a boss.
  • Traps and the crafting systems are reasonably good. It feeding into resources makes you care about them beyond just being minor nuisances.
  • Strong visual design in places. Art is good mostly.
  • Some of the more open levels, the Village in particular, are a lot of fun.
  • Progression systems are pretty good. It's not as charming as the RE4 merchant, of course.
  • It does succeed in making you feel helpless in a lot of places and is therefore quite tense and scary (although there is a flip side to this discussed below).
  • Later on in the game, when you've got some upgrades, you start to feel like a boss and the combat becomes a lot of fun against regular enemies.
  • Some of the themes can be evocative.
sebastian-castellanoss6k7j.gif

Got a selection of rare things on sale, strangah!

Negatives:

• Stealth is fidgety and sometimes inconsistent.
  • Animation work is a bit rough and presentation is overall a bit unpolished
  • Controls are also a bit rough, including...
  • Aiming is hard, which is exacerbated by...
  • The FOV, which is extremely narrow and cannot be changed without hacks that break UI elements on PC. You will frequently get snuck up on by people who are like 45 degrees to your left, or you will be aiming at someone and can't hit them because they got too close to you and the cursor accidentally overshot their head by 1 pixel.
  • There are way too many one hit kills and bullshit setpieces where you just end up trying a bunch of times. When the game takes agency away from you, it can be scary, but it's almost always frustrating. Most major bosses have an instakill during some phase of their fight, or during some kind of scripted escape scene.
  • Misc technical issues. Framerates above 30 on PC cause physics glitches. Ambient Occlusion is bad in this game and causes a lot of visual artefacting.
  • The story is often incoherent and overall I didn't like it.
  • The final boss is a rocket launcher fight (you have never had a rocket launcher before) where the player can't even move and a monster is slowly coming towards you. This is as I mentioned in another thread, like taking a final exam in a class you didn't know you were enrolled in.

Regarding the story, it is sometimes effective, but has a lot of problems. It's got a straight up anime villain (tragic backstory included) who is this edgy 20 year old dude in a coat who teleports behind you and might as well have said "nothing personal kid" before he does whatever fuckery to you in a given chapter. Unless you dive into the (missable) lore pickups, you're left with a lot of questions about the world you're in and the mechanics of the STEM system the game takes place within. The protagonist is a flat out idiot, who 3/4 through the game (having discovered that he's in a dream world) still says things like "woah, am I losing my mind?!" every time something spooky happens. Characters seem to know that doing certain things can or might help them "get out" or progress to the next thing, but for reasons which are totally opaque to the player. Sometimes you're disconnecting other enemies from the STEM... or at least you seem to be... but are you doing that in the real world, or is that a stem-within-stem that is... metaphorically still doign what you're literally doing? Are you strapped in a tub or doing things in the real world??? You can kind of figure this out partially by the end, but also, it ends with some random "BUT ARE YOU STILL DREAMING?" nonsense.

burned-ruvik-2-the-evo1kpb.gif

Hi I'm a child genius who got burned horribly and my sister was killed in a barn because local people didn't like me and now I do evil experiments and want to take over the world or something

Overall, my time with The Evil Within was generally positive, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited to press on to the sequel to see what they'd improved. It felt like Resident Evil 4 on a shoestring. A lot of heart went into the game, but overall I only give it maybe a 7 / 10. There's a lot wrong with it, but still things to enjoy.

The Evil Within 2 (2017)

This was really an unexpected delight. Directing duties were taken over by John Johanas, as mentioned above, who had previously worked on directing some of the levels in TEW1 (the mansion chapter being one).

This game really builds upon some of the strengths of the first game, while also stepping back on some of the more heavily criticized aspects of the first game. It has a higher metascore, but not by heaps, however I personally found it to be dramatically improved.

ezgif-7-e20e26d0426btkkpq.gif

Not actually as tough as she looks

The structure of the game is a little controversial among people who played it, but I feel it was generally well received. Basically, the game is a much more consistent world compared to TEW1, and you have several instances where you are given a kind of miniature open world town to explore at your leisure. There are little encounters you can run into (most notably "The Anima", more on that later), buildings to comb for resources, and enemies you can avoid or pick off. Between the semi-open segments, you're still funneled into linear segments. The majority of the game is still fairly linear. These open sections are not very big, and feel like an expansion of the Village in TEW1, just with more space and buildings.

On the technical side of things, almost everything is dramatically improved. Animation work is much better on the protagonist and enemies. Things blend nicely. Temporal Antialiasing cleans up a lot of artefacting, SSAO is better implemented, it has native support for 60fps or higher and FOV changing right out of the box, and overall it just looks very nice. Unfortunately, on PC there are some stutters and frame-time spikes that nobody can seem to solve, but it didn't stop me having a good time (even if it did irritate me).

In terms of mechanics and game-feel, it's also a huge step up. Moving, using cover, shooting, sneaking all feel GREAT. I can't emphasize enough how much nicer it feels coming straight off the first game. Crafting is expanded a bit but doesn't feel overbearing - you now craft ammo from gunpowder in addition to the previous game's bolt crafting. I often hate crafting in games, but as a survival experience I really liked it here (kind of like how I didn't mind it in The Last of Us - it's easy to understand and simple to use and evocative in the setting/genre).

There weren't as many bosses by my reckoning as TEW1, nor were there as many unique environments, but what it does have is a very strong sense of place. You get to know the world, much like you do in a game like Prey (2017) because you revisit parts and see it change through the course of the game. I love this aspect of it. It also reminds me of Batman Arkham Asylum in this way, you learn the routes, you remember where things are placed, but it's not some massive world you can only possibly navigate by GPS in a car or something like that (that's the sort of open world I dislike).

TEW2 is not really as scary as TEW1, for the most part. It's also a little easier and more generous with stuff assuming you actually learn to use the crafting and explore. If you bum rush the game, it's probably hard, but I was farly thorough so I was always prepared for every situation. There was something very cool and frightening in the game though, which was the Anima. This is basically a Japanese Ghost Lady who stalks you through parts of the game, but interestingly, her encounters are all technically optional. It's one of the few times in the game where you are genuinely helpless (this happened WAY more in TEW1), and how she ties into the lore is pretty cool.

animasfjm5.gif

The story is way more straight forward, with stakes you understand, enemies you get to know well, and allies you can more consistently rely on. I much preferred this to TEW1's jumble of discount Jacob's ladder themes crossed with every episode of a TV show where they try to gaslight the protagonist. Some people dislike that it's fairly understandable. It's just much more to my taste though. That's not to say it's flawless - there's a bit much character melodrama, there's a lot of cliches from the genre. That's one way in which the sequel feels very similar to some of the RE games actually.

The villains are larger than life (in a good way), and one of my favorite things is how each of them has their place in the game, and as you beat one and a new one takes precedence, the world changes around you and the enemies get warped in new ways. Love that, visually and mechanically.

Overall, I give TEW about an 8.5 or 9 out of 10. It feels to me like a natural evolution of where a game like RE4 might have gone and I highly recommend it.

Tango is now working on Ghostwire: Tokyo, which is set to release in 2021. Zenimax is also set to become a Microsoft subsidiary early next year, so it will be interesting to see what direction the company heads in. There's no real narrative need to return to TEW2, but I love how it plays, so I'd like to see them do another action/horror/stealth game in the future even if it's a different IP.

What did you think of the games? Did you play them both? Which was better? What are your hopes from Tango in the future?

Last edited:

Stike

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to get into TEW, but the opening stealth segment was annoying me to no end: I could sneak anywhere, but in the end the guy found me anyway. I had no idea what to do, and after dying repeatedly (and having to do it all over again) I gave it up.

Should I give TEW2 a shot? Do I need to know lore from the first game?

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely despised TEW1, which should come as no surprise, seeing I absolutely despise RE4.

But, oh boy, I loved TEW2. It's so vastly improved that I can't even begin to describe how much I enjoyed the game. I have to go back to it now that it's on PSNow and replay it for the Plat.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I can not decide. The Evil Within 1 is a much more irregular game than 2, with higher highs and lower lows, more surreal. The Evil Within 2, on the other hand, is a much rounder but also more generic experience (but fairer too).

Oct 25, 2017
The Evil Within 2 was so good that it made me retroactively like the first game more than I did while playing it. One of my favorite action horror games of all time, along with RE5.

I had many issues with the first game, but the fact that I still wanted to play the sequel says a lot about its strengths, and how close it was to greatness. There are aspects of each game I like more than in the other, but as a whole package I find 2 to be much stronger. It tackles the effects of the events of the first game in a way that I personally found brilliant, and make me always recommend playing the first game before getting to 2, and sticking with it if you're not enjoying it. It's worth it.

Really looking forward to Ghostwire: Tokyo, I was worried about it for a while due to the director leaving, but the recent gameplay footage looked excellent, can't wait to play it.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I didn't really like TEW1. I can't really put my finger on anything I hated, but I just didn't get into it. It didn't grab me and I stopped playing when I reached the area of the game where enemies with guns started appearing. That just wasn't what I wanted from the game.

I really loved TEW2. The open world made the game for me, I liked exploring, and felt like I had a lot of agency with regards to how I approached missions and how many resources I brought with me. I also enjoyed the narrative with that ghost girl chasing you around the open world.

I felt like, closer to the end of the game TEW2 became a bit weaker, and more like TEW2. It became more linear and just not very interesting. There's an underground 'fire' area that I recall kind of disliking. Still, I really enjoyed the game overall. I thought the final boss and ending was spectacular too.

OP
OP
ThereAreFourNaan
Nov 8, 2017
I tried to get into TEW, but the opening stealth segment was annoying me to no end: I could sneak anywhere, but in the end the guy found me anyway. I had no idea what to do, and after dying repeatedly (and having to do it all over again) I gave it up.

Should I give TEW2 a shot? Do I need to know lore from the first game?

Lots of people gave up at the point you did. It's a real early roadblock. It's short but easy to get stuck if you don't do the right thing. Looking up a YouTube guide is highly recommended if you do try it again.

Do you need to play 1? No. It does add to 2, but you will be fine without it.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I really liked both games. I think the bosses and horror aspects were better handled in the first game while the second was maybe a bit less memorable but it was a really well designed open world game of just the right size and with competent mechanics. It also had less flaws and stupid moments than the first game. Maybe not games I will consider classics in the future but I'd rate both as "great".

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I really didnt like TEW2. The first game was flawed but unique. You could play it and think "yeah this is Evil Within, its own thing". Second one tried to put too much on their plate, check too many boxes, please too many different people and dropped it. It plays better, sure, but most of the similar games i like from the genre don't play well to begin with, its not my highest priority - atmosphere wise TEW2 is pretty weak in comparison and i hated the dumb instakill ghost.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
I thought 2 was a step down in almost every conceivable metric: worse level design, boss fights, art direction, removed game mechanics that made combat more tactical, stealth is too OP and almost every encounter is built around it so you have dumb enemy patrols instead of the handcrafted gauntlet of the first game, the melodramatic story is too in your face, and the pacing isn't as good. I still like the game but man was it a let down. It didn't iterate on any of the things I wanted it to.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Having recently played through the series, I enjoyed them both, but they're hard for me to compare.

The first game is definitely more frustrating, and the game takes a massive dive in the last third. It felt like there was more emphasizing on fighting waves of enemies, too, when the ammo wasn't really there to support it. (Whereas I was always full up in the rest of the game.) It probably had higher highs, and the sheer variety of what they attempted was impressive.

Kidman looking much younger and sounding so different in TEW2 was pretty jarring. The game was a lot easier, but it was also a lot of fun to play.

I was surprised by how good both games look on PC. Some of the cinematography was especially impressive relative to other titles that received a lot more recognition. I was always somewhat interested in the series, but the critical reception kind of held me back. I didn't expect such a mismatch between expectations and the level of quality of the games (especially for the first game).

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I can't remember which one I tried playing but I couldn't cope with the way it controlled. I think it had camera sway that just made me feel nauseous both times I tried. Which is pretty unusual for me. I really wanted to be able to play it.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
1 is the diamond in the rough: so much creativity going on but not every chapter is a hit. 2 is more polished but an infinitely more generic game.

1 wins it for me every time.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TEW2 is the best game in the genre last gen, just amazing all around.

The first game is great too in its own way but in the end it does feel like it hurt the series in the long run since it wasn't what most people expect from the guy behind RE.

I think the series would be in a better state right now (in terms of success) if TEW2 had been the first game in the series.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
The original TEW is my favorite horror game ever. Played it for the fifth (I think) time this year, it's as good as it's ever been.
The sequel is much more standard, not quite so scary, but with much smoother gameplay. It's a very good game but it lost its idenity I think by removing the weirdness present in the original.
I love the series overall, and would love to play a third game.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
Evil Within 1 is better atmosphere and an amazing survival horror game with some Jank.

Evil Within 2 has more polish and an awesome RPG but more adventure/action than Survival Horror.

Both are great but very different games.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
I thought 2 was a step down in almost every conceivable metric: worse level design, boss fights, art direction, removed game mechanics that made combat more tactical, stealth is too OP and almost every encounter is built around it so you have dumb enemy patrols instead of the handcrafted gauntlet of the first game, the melodramatic story is too in your face, and the pacing isn't as good. I still like the game but man was it a let down. It didn't iterate on any of the things I wanted it to.

This sums TEW2 PERFECTLY

Even with the jank, I still vastly prefer TEW1

The Shape

Nov 7, 2017
Brazil
I loooove this series. One of the best examples of survival horror of the past generation.

I liked TEW2 more, but only because of the second half, which honestly feel like a third game. It has a new villain and is a departure of the open world gameplay of the first half.

I prefer linear experiences with set pieces to open world do what you want experiences. So my ranking would be:

TEW2 second half, because it's linear and have a lot of quality of life improvements over the first game.

TEW1 because it's a batshit crazy survival horror experience where you have absolutely no idea where the next chapter will take you.

TEW2 first half, because even though it has the quality of life improvements over the first game, it has an open world-y gameplay I didn't like.

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The evil within 2 was just awful. Janky mediocre combat and stealth. Bad graphics. Bad camera. Weak storytelling. 100% not scary.

a few good set pieces but overall a bad video game

gattotimo

Oct 28, 2017
The first one was really good I think, a nice evolution of the RE4 formula much more grounded in horror than its official sequels. The second one I've started but ditched halfway through chapter 3, I didn't like the open hub approach to it. I'll come back to it and see if I change my mind, but as for now I prefer the first one

MegaApple

Jun 20, 2020
India
Currently put EW1 on hold.

It feels like apparent that studio had shortage of manpower or the staff lacked some experience. At every moment I felt a mechanics being unpolished or not as well thought out. Because the surreal slasher aesthetic it's going for is still kind of unique to this day.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't like 1 all that much. The game overall like a very heavily designed mess, from gameplay encouraging stealth and strict ammo counts while throwing monster generating rooms at you periodically, to a story told out of order for really no overall reason. I mean, I liked it enough to finish it, but have never gone back to it, nor have any desire to.

EW2 I immediately jumped back in after playing through it once. Much stronger story with the only misstep being something other games do in switching villains partway through to something weaker overall. Would dearly love a sequel, and yet am ok with where things leave off if another is never made(which I find to be the perfect point).

Sep 22, 2019
TEW2 is right there with Resident Evil 2 as my personal favorite horror games. Sad that it won't get a sequel because of low sales, though still hoping for it to happen.

Jan 11, 2018
Absolutely love them both to pieces, but I give the edge to the first game. Both are in my top 10 of the generation though. I really hope we get another installment at some point.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
waiting for 2 to hopefully show up on gamepass soonish.

Tried to play 1 multiple times and I think it's just a lousy game. For a game that's supposed to be more about survival horror why's it filled with a ton of point defense events?

The invisible enemies were coolt hough.

Oct 27, 2017
I really like The Evil Within 1, jank and all. But you can tell they were at a loss after the first half of the game. A military vehicle in the last fight, really? But I still liked it a lot.

However, I fucking LOVE The Evil Within 2, and it is my game of the generation. It reminds me a bit to Silent Hill 1/2. I still think they should have developed Stefano a bit more but eh. I honestly don't know what people mean with it being 'generic'. I think it looks quite good for a 2017 game that wasn't made on a massive budget, the voice acting is superb and it has this moment:

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
There's been so many of these threads lol, my view hasn't really changed. TEW1 is a near masterpiece of survival horror that's unfortunately hit hard by technical issues. TEW2 is a really solid game but doesn't touch 1 when it comes to real survival horror. They fell into the trap of horror games turning into bad stealth games, and so you end up spending most of the game crouch walking up behind janky patrol animations of the same zombie type enemies and stabbing them in the back of the head, as opposed to the insane skin of your teeth fights you get into in the first game.

I'll also add that the match burning mechanic is one of the best things about TEW1, Mikami taking his own crowd control mechanic from RE4's melee and turning it on it's head with a scarce resource so you actually have to think and plan when to use it was brilliant. Removing it for the 2nd game was one of the biggest mistakes (the other being a focus on stealth).

Arklite

Oct 27, 2017
Nice write up. I've always preferred the TEW1 for being brutal, creepy, with very memorable art direction/locations. The art direction is fantastic on both, though (especially Stefano's areas in TEW2)

For character portrayal, I definitely prefer TEW1. OP calls Sebastian's dialogue stupid, but it's exactly that dead pan delivery of one liners in the midst of horror that give it that "B" movie feel Mikami seems to be so fond of in his directed games. Plot wise, again I prefer TEW1. Feeling as lost as the characters that you're playing is perfect for me. TEW2 on the other hand goes at length to explain how, what, when, where, why and it's a mood killer. Not to excuse TEW1's overtly obtuse plot, but I prefer mystery over laying everything on the table, and TEW2's finale rushes to a "western" style bow tied ending.

The best thing TEW2 does is pulls off survival horror in a semi-open world level design. It works better than I ever expected, though probably only on Nightmare mode. As an overall package, TEW1 is the more unique title.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I absolutely loved TEW1. TEW2 is an ok game and my biggest disappointment in a sequel this generation. TEW1 had exceptional
  • Encounter Design
  • Aiming and shooting
  • Level design and variety
  • Enemy design
  • Bosses
  • Currency system
  • Match mechanics