• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
With the PS store closing down soon, I decided to get back into the PS3 games I'd either put off finishing, or finished but not fully completed. One of the games in the latter category was L.A. Noire.

I originally got the game around release time, but bounced off because of my weird expectation of it being a GTA-like game. Imagine my surprise when you couldn't shoot a gun in the open world, or even run over pedestrians (how dare they!?). I stopped playing the game a few hours in.

Flash forward to five(ish) years later. I was itching for a narrative-driven game and found L.A. Noire sitting neatly in my backlog.

I immediately fell in love with the game. The game heavily relies on and believes in its atmosphere. It takes cues from film noir of the 40s and 50s and is riddled with collectibles and references to these movies. The game even has a black-and-white mode (alas, not on par with Ghost of Tsushima's Kurosawa mode). As someone who hasn't really watched any of the movies the game tips its hat to, I can't really form an opinion on it relative to those movies. It still manages to capture that feel really well.

You play as Cole Phelps (not the internet's favourite character), an "war-hero" turned detective in 1947 Los Angeles. He fits right in with the rest of the characters, all of whom are acted very well (and you can tell because we recorded their every pore). I've just finished one of the DLC cases, and honestly really enjoyed the back-and-forth between Phelps and his partner. The dialogue is sharp and to the point (when you're not yelling at people out of the blue), and the cinematography really helps nail the vibe they're going for. They also fished out a bunch of actors from similar media (i.e. Mad Men) and they all nail their roles.

The facial tracking technology was one of the game's bigger selling points. Every small movement, every blink, wince and tick, captured with way too many cameras. To a lot of people, this produced an sense of uncanny valley, and it definitely does to me as well, but there's something just really cool and immersive about accurately portraying faces like that. Some of the uncanny valley, for me, came from the big discrepancy in facial vs body animation. They were mocapped separately, and it shows.

It's also the source of a bunch of the doubt meme, and a bunch of good gifs, such as:
tenor.gif

tumblr_m8ajo36Dxi1r1nisw.gif

MisguidedElatedGecko-size_restricted.gif

"I swear officer! I ain't lying."

The gameplay services the atmosphere and story they're going for. The cases all feature clues that you can pick up and inspect, people you can yell at, and a whole buncha driving around (or fast travel via your trusty partner). I'm not the biggest fan of the clunky player movement, but was used to it having come off of other Rockstar games (though it does get real annoying). The game features a big open world with an accurate (AFAIK) representation of 1940's LA. A lot of people criticise the open world and state that the game could've been linear and ditched the open world and not have lost anything for it, but I'd argue that the driving between waypoints, the people walking about and the atmosphere all contribute to a grander sense of atmosphere that made the game for me. The cars don't feel like modern sports cars, but like actual cars of their time, and driving them to-and-fro with the 1940's radio on in the background summarises what I love about this game.

All in all, this game thrives on its atmosphere, and I really wish we'd get more games like it. Team Bondi closed down while working on their next game. The team was known for having awful working conditions, and it closing down wasn't really unexpected. The latest we've gotten from the IP was the remastered version a few years ago, but besides that, I think L.A. Noire is pretty much done for.

Oct 27, 2017
I liked the game overall but couldn't help but feel that if it was a bit shorter or more varied that I would have loved it.

The open world is really cool but there isn't anything to do in it so it feels like a waste. Every mission always ends up with you going from A to B and doing the same thing. I would have liked some "twists" for each case where you think it is going to go down one way only for it to go very differently.

My favorite part of the game is at the end. That's when the game felt very different.

Hopefully Rockstar tries again with this IP some day. I want to see 70's gritty NY. It would work perfectly with this IP.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
It didn't work as an open world game. It should have just been a narrative focused game where you appear at the crime scenes.

I remember one mission I was investigating a hit and run and as I was driving to the next location to interrogate someone I was mowing down pedestrians myself in typical GTA fashion. Really broke the immersion for me.

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
There's really no game quite like it, and I had a blast revisiting it on Switch (which holds up really well.) I wish the open-world were more lively, but at least you can just have your partner chauffeur you most of the time and focus on the critical path.

Oct 27, 2017
The definition of a flawed gem, there are so many things I can nitpick, but man the vibe is just immaculate.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I have this game as I got it for free for purchasing Max Payne 3 but I only ever played 30 minutes of it. Now reading your OP I'm thinking of giving it another chance as well.

How is the PC version?

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
I liked it for what it was. I love the setting, as a long-time fan of the movies and books it drew from, and I'd love to see more games use reading people and piecing together stories as a gameplay mechanic (Her Story is a good recent example).

Not perfect by any means, the open world is underwhelming and it didn't live up to the crazy hype, but the core game still holds up pretty well.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was my biggest disappointment of that generation. It's interesting that you expected it to be more like a GTA game. I thought it was too much of one. I really hoped it'd be a more linear game because I thought the open world didn't do a noir atmosphere any favors. I also really hated Phelps as a character and was just relieved when I finished it.

stangthang26

Aug 15, 2018
I love LA Noire. In fact, I'm going for my second platinum run right now. I wish we got a sequel in a different city or anything with the property.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I liked the game overall but couldn't help but feel that if it was a bit shorter or more varied that I would have loved it.

The open world is really cool but there isn't anything to do in it so it feels like a waste. Every mission always ends up with you going from A to B and doing the same thing. I would have liked some "twists" for each case where you think it is going to go down one way only for it to go very differently.

My favorite part of the game is at the end. That's when the game felt very different.

Hopefully Rockstar tries again with this IP some day. I want to see 70's gritty NY. It would work perfectly with this IP.
Honestly it's been a long while since I've played through the entire game but I thoroughly enjoyed it. That might've been because I was playing it five years later and excuses anything negative for it being an older game. Though I get what you mean, would've also been cool if your choices mattered more, but that would've required a gigantic(er) budget.

I'm the type of person who loves the Telltale games, and "walking sim" games a bunch. I think my brain basically treated that like one of those.

70's NY would also work great if they ever have another go at it.

It didn't work as an open world game. It should have just been a narrative focused game where you appear at the crime scenes.

I remember one mission I was investigating a hit and run and as I was driving to the next location to interrogate someone I was mowing down pedestrians myself in typical GTA fashion. Really broke the immersion for me.
Hahaha, it was the opposite for me. I tried running them over and they'd dodge out of the way. The second time I played it (aka my first full playthrough), I played it fast but careful around pedestrians and their cars. Plus, the fast travel's always there to skip all of that (I used it a bunch for the cases I'd already done before).

I have this game as I got it for free for purchasing Max Payne 3 but I only ever played 30 minutes of it. Now reading your OP I'm thinking of giving it another chance as well.

How is the PC version?
I think I've heard it's locked at 30fps, but it seems like there's an easy way to fix it to 60fps. I haven't tried it on the PC, but the frame rate on the PS3 version was not good haha, and I've heard similar things about the Switch version. I know that the Xbox remastered versions ran 4K well, so the PC version should be able to keep (though I don't know the differences between the original and the remaster for PC).

There might be issues with Windows 10? I've seen people say it sometimes doesn't run, but runs okay when it does start.

It was my biggest disappointment of that generation. It's interesting that you expected it to be more like a GTA game. I thought it was too much of one. I really hoped it'd be a more linear game because I thought the open world didn't do a noir atmosphere any favors. I also really hated Phelps as a character and was just relieved when I finished it.
Haha yeah this is where we disagree. I feel like the open world really added to the atmosphere. Not specifically the noir atmosphere, but the 1940's America atmosphere. I also like the way it dealt with the war and the way it affected the characters.

On Cole, I don't know if he was meant to be likeable. I've watched videos on the game, and people mention that that's the way noir protagonists go. Again, I haven't watched any of them so I can't comment on that, but I liked that
He was responsible for a lot of the events of the game (i.e. the people from his unit suffering from actions under his command).

I love LA Noire. In fact, I'm going for my second platinum run right now. I wish we got a sequel in a different city or anything with the property.
Good luck with your second plat on the game! It was an enjoyable plat for the most part, but dang there were a lot of collectibles.

I honestly liked what little we saw of their second game. Wish we could've seen that be expanded upon.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha yeah this is where we disagree. I feel like the open world really added to the atmosphere. Not specifically the noir atmosphere, but the 1940's America atmosphere. I also like the way it dealt with the war and the way it affected the characters.

On Cole, I don't know if he was meant to be likeable. I've watched videos on the game, and people mention that that's the way noir protagonists go. Again, I haven't watched any of them so I can't comment on that, but I liked that
I think what made me disappointed was how different the game's atmosphere was from the reveal trailer (I think that was before Rockstar picked them up).

I also agree that Cole wasn't meant to be likeable, but for me ir got to the point that I really didn't want him to succeed. I pushed myself to finish the game because I was close to the end but really didn't want to help him.

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah this is the quintessential open world game that's open world just because. There are no dynamic events or opportunities for emergent gameplay, the only thing you do in the open world is drive to the next linear mission.

Nov 13, 2017
Always loved this game, but I feel like the back half of the story gave me whiplash. Cole suddenly starts having an affair with the lounge singer, who we never see, and is only mentioned once or twice in passing. We get no notion of his home life, are shown no motivation for having this affair, it just suddenly happens, and then he becomes a disgraced cop and demoted to the arson desk.

I thought the ending was pretty good, though.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
The interrogation system being broken and/or incomprehensible ruined a game that should have otherwise been right up my alley. I even tried the remaster because I had heard they tweaked it but it's the same thing. More often you are left feeling like you have to guess what the right response/reaction is to keep the game moving and it just feels frustrating and immersion breaking.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
I think what made me disappointed was how different the game's atmosphere was from the reveal trailer (I think that was before Rockstar picked them up).

I also agree that Cole wasn't meant to be likeable, but for me ir got to the point that I really didn't want him to succeed. I pushed myself to finish the game because I was close to the end but really didn't want to help him.
Whoa, I hadn't watched the reveal trailer but I see what you man. I actually don't even remember that much night time during the game. I chalk the not reaching the atmosphere to both constraints of the gen and the management issues. Though I would've loved the game to have some of the trailer's vibe.

Watching that trailer reminded me of Agent, and then of how little Rockstar does these days. We really don't get a lot of modern city open world games. The only one I can think of is Watch Dogs.

Just wondering, what exactly made Cole so unlikeable for you? I didn't like him but I don't think I actively hated him.
You must've loved the ending haha.
Always loved this game, but I feel like the back half of the story gave me whiplash. Cole suddenly starts having an affair with the lounge singer, who we never see, and is only mentioned once or twice in passing. We get no notion of his home life, are shown no motivation for having this affair, it just suddenly happens, and then he becomes a disgraced cop and demoted to the arson desk.

I thought the ending was pretty good, though.
Definitely agreed on the back half part. It felt very sudden, and I just thought "Oh okay I guess this is where we're going?". They could've explored his home life or why the hell he had an affair.

I really would've loved if they flipped the switch and made you interrogate Cole sometime during the game. That would've been a cool moment, but probably wouldn't have fit their story.

The interrogation system being broken and/or incomprehensible ruined a game that should have otherwise been right up my alley. I even tried the remaster because I had heard they tweaked it but it's the same thing. More often you are left feeling like you have to guess what the right response/reaction is to keep the game moving and it just feels frustrating and immersion breaking.
Yeah I don't disagree with this. Ultimately I decided that the choices don't really matter and that saved a lot of headache for me. I just thought "What do I feel is the most right choice", not what is the right choice. I honestly don't know what they could've done to fix this. I definitely get your frustrations though.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely a great concept and I enjoyed it for what it was when I played it 10 years ago, but its shortcomings became fairly obvious a few hours in. As an actual game, it was serviceable. You could tell most of the development time and money went into performance capture and asset creation. Outside of atmosphere, I don't really think it quite nailed anything. I mean the shooting and driving works, but that's really all I could say about it. Interrogation system was kinda iffy. It wasn't always clear what you were doing which would result in Cole sometimes comically overreacting. It gets really repetitive and story just kinda falls flat on its face towards the end. Considering its lengthy development time, it's a wonder if it would've even come out at all had R* not come in and rescue the project after Sony had sunk $20 million into Team Bondi with nothing to show for it. Despite that, I think there's a lot of potential in the IP (and if the ports and VR case files are any indication R* think there might still be some life in it as well). I'd like to see what an in-house sequel or reimagining could be like.

Last edited:

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine what the faces could look like with today's rendering technology like PBR and ray tracing.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Aw man, the downtime ate my long post about how much I love it.

Anyways, OP, you mentioned not having seen movies it references, and while there are a few nods to classic noir films, what it really is is a gigantic love letter to James Ellroy's LA Quartet of novels (the third of which, LA Confidential, was adapted into a movie, and was a big influence on the game). If you like the ambiance, tone, and setting, you should definitely check out the books.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
One of my fav games based on the story alone. The open world is bare bones, but I did like the beat cop missions. Had they filled out the world with a few other substantial side missions and activities it would've been a 10/10 game. I know people wish it wasn't open world, but the city was too beautiful for me to scrap it and I would've loved to have more of a reason to explore it more.

I really hope we get a sequel in a few years, either in the same city in a different time period or another city in the same time period.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
It's definitely a great concept and I enjoyed it for what it was when I played it 10 years ago, but its shortcomings became fairly obvious a few hours in. As an actual game, it was serviceable. You could tell most of the development time and money went into performance capture and asset creation. Outside of atmosphere, I don't really think it quite nailed anything. I mean the shooting and driving works, but that's really all I could say about it. Interrogation system was kinda iffy. It wasn't always clear what you were doing which would result in Cole sometimes comically overreacting. It gets really repetitive and story just kinda falls flat on its face towards the end. Considering its lengthy development time, it's a wonder if it would've even come out at all had R* not come in and rescue the project after Sony had sunk $20 million into Team Bondi with nothing to show for it. Despite that, I think there's a lot of potential in the IP (and if the ports and VR case files are any indication R* there's still some life in it as well). I'd like to see what an in-house sequel or reimagining could be like.
I don't think I disagree with much of what you said. The reason I found it so captivating was that no other game that I know of did (or does) what L.A. Noire did. I haven't played Mafia and that might come close, but besides that, I can't think of any other game that goes for the same setting/atmosphere as L.A. Noire. It's similar to what Ghost of Tsushima did with samurai movies.

Imagine what the faces could look like with today's rendering technology like PBR and ray tracing.
Right? I also think facial capture and mocap tech has improved a bunch since 2011 (or whenever they recorded everything). There'd be much less uncanny valley.

Aw man, the downtime ate my long post about how much I love it.

Anyways, OP, you mentioned not having seen movies it references, and while there are a few nods to classic noir films, what it really is is a gigantic love letter to James Ellroy's LA Quartet of novels (the third of which, LA Confidential, was adapted into a movie, and was a big influence on the game). If you like the ambiance, tone, and setting, you should definitely check out the books.
I thought I'd lost this thread from the downtime and would definitely not have written anything up again haha.

Also huge thanks for the recommendations! I had no idea those books existed and it's a lot easier for me to read intermittently than watch a gajillion movies. I'll get the books sometime soon, thanks!

I think I'll also watch the movies on the film reel collectibles down the line too (though that's a whole lot of movies).

One of my fav games based on the story alone. The open world is bare bones, but I did like the beat cop missions. Had they filled out the world with a few other substantial side missions and activities it would've been a 10/10 game. I know people wish it wasn't open world, but the city was too beautiful for me to scrap it and I would've loved to have more of a reason to explore it more.

I really hope we get a sequel in a few years, either in the same city in a different time period or another city in the same time period.
I really think the game was constrained by the tech at the time. A modern game that follows in L.A. Noire's footsteps would nail the open world, I feel. I also wouldn't mind the map not being huge. Something smaller (maybe a similar size to the original?) but more dense.

Deleted member 17184

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, I hadn't watched the reveal trailer but I see what you man. I actually don't even remember that much night time during the game. I chalk the not reaching the atmosphere to both constraints of the gen and the management issues. Though I would've loved the game to have some of the trailer's vibe.

Watching that trailer reminded me of Agent, and then of how little Rockstar does these days. We really don't get a lot of modern city open world games. The only one I can think of is Watch Dogs.

Just wondering, what exactly made Cole so unlikeable for you? I didn't like him but I don't think I actively hated him.
You must've loved the ending haha.
Yeah. You just need to compare the old logo with the one the game has and it's already so different.

I honestly don't remember much of why I felt that, since I played on release. I think I didn't feel a connection to him or the game, and as I played more, that disconnection kept growing. And then Cole did horrible things and it got worse haha.

I think I felt more relieved that it was over than enjoying the ending.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Remember 100% that game on the 360. Quite liked it if my mind serves me well. I also appreciated the dynamic with the partners and the overarcing story. The world could feel a bit flat at times but at least there was a lot of missions. Thought the ending was okay but i was a bit disappointed with the direction.

I liked the part where they discreditet Cole and showed that he was no perfect hero character. But the final villain reveal was a bit lackluster. I wish they went with something more left field. But it was memorable at least.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah. You just need to compare the old logo with the one the game has and it's already so different.

I honestly don't remember much of why I felt that, since I played on release. I think I didn't feel a connection to him or the game, and as I played more, that disconnection kept growing. And then Cole did horrible things and it got worse haha.

I think I felt more relieved that it was over than enjoying the ending.
Yeah I get that. I've had characters in shows that were like that and it really, really ruins the game/show when that happens. Unless it's incorporated very well in the story somehow. I know people feel the same with Watch Dogs. It's a weird disconnect with me, I can't think of a lot of playable characters I didn't like, unless they weren't written well.

Remember 100% that game on the 360. Quite liked it if my mind serves me well. I also appreciated the dynamic with the partners and the overarcing story. The world could feel a bit flat at times but at least there was a lot of missions. Thought the ending was okay but i was a bit disappointed with the direction.

I liked the part where they discreditet Cole and showed that he was no perfect hero character. But the final villain reveal was a bit lackluster. I wish they went with something more left field. But it was memorable at least.
My thoughts exactly. I don't know if it's a fault of the game or my brain, but when I went through a few cases this past week, I really could not remember a lot of the things in the final act. Like I knew that X and Y happened, but didn't know why or by whom. I liked the things they do later, but it might've not been the most memorable.

lazerface

Banned
Feb 23, 2020
The pacing was awful, it wore out its welcome about 15-20 hours in. Enjoyed it but forced myself to finish.

Mr X

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia / US
I remember playing through and enjoying it at first, but once you get switched from homicide to arson I lost all interest and never went back. Think I worked the first arson case but never even finished that first one up.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I remember playing through and enjoying it at first, but once you get switched from homicide to arson I lost all interest and never went back. Think I worked the first arson case but never even finished that first one up.
There's a big drop in narrative energy in that first arson case, but it ends up being the most interesting desk to my mind – it switches up the formula quite a bit, and it has Nicholson Electroplating, which is my absolute favourite case.

Mar 19, 2021
I played it for the first time a couple months ago but couldn't really get into it. It felt a bit janky and like it didn't age very well to me.

Baccus

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I remember the setpiece in a film set being really good and detailed. The whole game was oozing atmosphere really.

Shame about the studio close.

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I really think the game was constrained by the tech at the time. A modern game that follows in L.A. Noire's footsteps would nail the open world, I feel. I also wouldn't mind the map not being huge. Something smaller (maybe a similar size to the original?) but more dense.

Something smaller would be great. It did take a long time to get around that map lol.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
There's a big drop in narrative energy in that first arson case, but it ends up being the most interesting desk to my mind – it switches up the formula quite a bit, and it has Nicholson Electroplating, which is my absolute favourite case.
I'm playing that one for the first time sometime this week. I've heard good things about it. The one that prompted me making this thread was A Slip of Tongue, another DLC case. They're very self contained which I like. I feel like an episodic release like the earlier Hitman games this gen would work great for L.A. Noire. Maybe release each case every X months.

Something smaller would be great. It did take a long time to get around that map lol.
Haha agreed. Especially since it was a lot more rectangular than other open world maps (and you were driving 40's cars).

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
I really love this game, I replayed it with the PS4 remaster, and it was still awesome. The DLC cases are fantastic, I have no clue why they cut them (I mean, other than to sell them back).

Didn't liked the ending that much though, but it's okay.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Loved this game.
A bucketload of little flaws, but I haven´t seen any game before or after capture the feel this game did.
I get the dislike for the "open world", but I´m glad they didn´t clutter the map with badly designed "mini quests" as all other devs. I´m okay with
the world just adding flavor sometimes if it feels in tune with the rest of the game. It´s the same reason I find Mafia 3s world infinitely inferior to the two games prior.
Just picked this up for the Switch for a replay. It´s been a long time. Hope it works ok in handheld.

iagors

Mar 23, 2021
fantastic game
would love to have a sequel focusing on the zodiac killer at late 60s/early 70s

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Loved the game a lot. The open-world aspect is indeed a bit lacking, but at the same time helps to set the stage for the atmosphere of the game.

The game is also surprisingly fun to play in a couch co-op way. Played the entire game with my GF who isn't really into games that aren't from Nintendo, but we had a lot of fun solving the cases together.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i genuinely love how the story ends, the last couple missions leading to the finale are where you see some of the best performances and some good pulpy-noir writing

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Such a bewildering game.
There's so many cool areas in the map; from things like Chinatown, an army barracks and a massive train station down to meticulously detailed factories, homeless camps and an art gallery and the story takes you to none of them!
Just dead space on the map, fully detailed and yet empty.
Only Shenmue before it had gone so far (and similarly unnecessarily) in sheer immersion.

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
I think ultimately that direction of face capture tech is a dead end, as it's essentially just slapping a 3D video into the scene. Compared to capturing discrete points and rendering the face in-engine it takes up a ton of space, it doesn't scale well and it's harder to record.

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
The game was alright. I have fond memories of playing it back in the day. Really great OST too.

I think a lot of people expected GTA in the 1940s but as a detective, it was not at all.

Funny how everyone was going on about the actors and facial capture being groundbreaking at the time, but it's aged pretty poorly.

I remember my friend back in the day traded in sooo many games to get this, expecting something awesome like a GTA and was so let down and angry when he finally played it.

Last edited:

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
I really enjoyed the game for the first 80% or so, as well as the DLC, some fun Ace Attorney style investigations and great atmosphere. I also liked that you could flat out screw up your missions by accusing the wrong people, not finding all the clues, etc., which gave your decisions a sense of weight.

However, I will say that I felt that a late game twist was so completely out of left field and out of character that it really took me out of the story. Ultimately the ending didn't work for me either because of this, as well. It's a shame because I thought the writing overall was very strong.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Such a bewildering game.
There's so many cool areas in the map; from things like Chinatown, an army barracks and a massive train station down to meticulously detailed factories, homeless camps and an art gallery and the story takes you to none of them!
Just dead space on the map, fully detailed and yet empty.
Only Shenmue before it had gone so far (and similarly unnecessarily) in sheer immersion.
Agreed on the details. I was getting the collectibles and was amazed at how much detail they put into things that I'd never seen during the main story. It'I honestly wouldn't mind if there was a sequel that used the same world map.

I just played the two Vice DLC cases and once again, the sheer amount of detail is fascinating. No wonder they took so much time to develop the game. Even minute things like the brands on the back of framed photos.

The two DLCs were a buncha fun and the second one had a great setpiece at the end.

On to the final DLC (and likely the final piece of L.A. Noire content).

Last edited:
OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Finally finished the game 100%.

Played through Nicholson Electroplating, the final DLC and I believe the last typical L.A. Noire case before the final mission. I loved how it flipped the case formula on its head in the beginning in terms of how you find the case. Cole talks about pursuing one of the suspects of the overarching investigation and all of the sudden a huge explosion goes off and the pedestrians and the cars in the city are all freaking out, and there's smoke everywhere, the police dispatch guy is freaking out, not knowing where exactly the source is. It really captures the mayhem well. The rest of the case is great too but the beginning stood out as one of the better ones in the game.

I also just wanted to point out that all the analogue clocks in the case matched (or were a few minutes after) the time shown in the HUD when you arrive at a location. That's crazy attention to detail.

It's bittersweet playing what's probably the final case I'll ever play of L.A. Noire a decade after release, but it was a great journey. Would definitely recommend playing the game if you don't mind the criticisms pointed out in this thread.

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
L.A. Noire is still one of my favorite games from the 360/PS3 era. And also one of the more fascinating and ambitious titles from a AAA studio in the past decade. Yes it's flawed, but the entire concept is so incredibly strong and the whole game is dripping in atmosphere. It's the rare AAA open world game that is totally unlike any other. It fully deserves another chance from Rockstar, I would love to see it get a similar treatment as Red Dead received going from Revolver to Redemption.

Also, the 1947 Los Angeles open world was lovingly crafted with an impressive eye for accuracy. They did an insane amount of research that I think largely went unappreciated by most players. Even beyond the locations marked as landmarks, every police station, morgue, theater, and department store is surprisingly accurate in its placement and depiction. I love exploring the world just to experience the beautiful art deco architecture of Los Angeles in its heyday. Here's a few comparisons:

Central Police Station
KEOLSxT.jpg

Warner Bros. Downtown Theater
2AapLvg.jpg

Desmond's Department Store
gppgHfq.jpg

Even the Cecil Hotel is in this game on main street, complete with a water tower on top of the building. And this game came out before
Elisa Lam's tragic death. The Los Angeles recreation of LA Noire contains an insane level of obsessive detail which makes it a joy to explore if you like old architecture or history.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I adore this game. It's in my top ten and the soundtrack is in my top 3. I've played through it many times but never the VR version. A new game in the LA Noire world... I can only dream.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I loved the game even with it's shortcomings, the atmosphere, music, graphics and story were good enough for me to have a great time with it.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
L.A. Noire is still one of my favorite games from the 360/PS3 era. And also one of the more fascinating and ambitious titles from a AAA studio in the past decade. Yes it's flawed, but the entire concept is so incredibly strong and the whole game is dripping in atmosphere. It's the rare AAA open world game that is totally unlike any other. It fully deserves another chance from Rockstar, I would love to see it get a similar treatment as Red Dead received going from Revolver to Redemption.

Also, the 1947 Los Angeles open world was lovingly crafted with an impressive eye for accuracy. They did an insane amount of research that I think largely went unappreciated by most players. Even beyond the locations marked as landmarks, every police station, morgue, theater, and department store is surprisingly accurate in its placement and depiction. I love exploring the world just to experience the beautiful art deco architecture of Los Angeles in its heyday. Here's a few comparisons:

Even the Cecil Hotel is in this game on main street, complete with a water tower on top of the building. And this game came out before
Elisa Lam's tragic death. The Los Angeles recreation of LA Noire contains an insane level of obsessive detail which makes it a joy to explore if you like old architecture or history.

Great post. For whatever people say about the open world and how necessary it was, it really felt didn't feel like a game's world map, more so an actual city that exists in the real world, and I say this as a person that's never been to the US.
Never got to play, but always interested. But always too busy or too expensive.
Definitely try to play it whenever you can. But just a heads-up, if you're in it purely for the gameplay, you're probably going to be disappointed.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
Just purchased this because of this thread, and I'm really enjoying it. I have no idea what choice to pick in interrogations/questioning though - good/bad cop? accuse? I always seem to get it wrong.

OP
OP
Undrey

Undrey

Oct 29, 2017
Just purchased this because of this thread, and I'm really enjoying it. I have no idea what choice to pick in interrogations/questioning though - good/bad cop? accuse? I always seem to get it wrong.
Glad you're enjoying it!

I played the PS3 version and the choices were truth, doubt or lie on that, which makes more sense to me tbh.

My general rule of thumb is if they do some weird eye twitch thing or look away while they're talking, or a few seconds after saying something, then that's either bad cop or accuse (doubt or lie). If you have no evidence, then it's bad cop/doubt. If you have evidence (e.g. you killed her, your footprints were at the scene), then go for accuse/lie.

If they're saying something straight on and don't have do this weird wincing thing with their face during or after their sentence AND I think they have no reason to lie, then it's good cop/truth. There's more guesswork than I'd like but these guidelines work for me. Also, consider the context. Does the person have an incentive to lie? Are they telling a half truth?

You might not get all the answers right, but it shouldn't (hopefully) affect your experience too much if you get at least half right. The AI partners often nudge you to the right path.