• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's the holiday season, but I decided to give Iron Man 3 a rewatch for the first time in probably five or six years, and in hindsight its all the stranger as an entry in the MCU. Although it officially kicked off "Phase 2" after The Avengers, this and Thor 2: The Dark World are the last two movies before the Russos make Winter Soldier and completely transform every bit of how the MCU is produced.

It's not that its the last movie where the director doesn't feel totally subsumed by the MCU project. You can definitely still feel the hand of directors on movies like Black Panther, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Thor: Ragnarok. It's not that its the last movie to plausibly take place in something resembling "our reality", since we do get the Ant Man movies. It's not the last movie to make good use of Tony Stark, that's probably still Age of Ultron. And its not that its the last MCU movie with surprise twists that actually worked (the Vulture reveal in Homecoming is maybe one of the best scenes in the entire run of movies)

But...it is all of those things, and the films since then have only really managed to be some (or none). And in particular I think the one-two combo of Shane Black being an experienced action director already combined with this being one of the last pre-Russo movies means this really does feel like the last movie to almost fully belong to its director. Because after this the sheer amount of CGI every movie's premise requires combined with the maturation of the MCU "production pipeline" means that almost every director is relying heavily on second unit work to handle "the action" and more and more of each movie has to be laid out in advance to accommodate the pre-viz work. This, I think, is the main thing that leads some people to call the MCU "samey feeling", even as it releases movies like Ragnarok and Black Panther back to back.

I've enjoyed the MCU over the years. But I was getting tired of that style by about the time Infinity War rolled around, and I'm honestly not particularly interested in what they have coming after Endgame. And rewatching this a part of me can't help but wish that maybe Marvel and Disney hadn't quite figured out how to "optimize" the process so much, had continued to let people come in and do weird stuff and see if it worked, with maybe only one or two mandatory scenes in which a bunch of toys show up on screen.

Also the violence in this movie, in which people just shoot other people with guns, is way more menacing than Thanos' stupid double ended sword.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Definitely a really underappreciated entry in the MCU that gets better on rewatches. The Mandarin twist makes total sense as a reflection of western powers using scary xenophobia to rile up people to fight overseas wars.

The ending though is weird, I get it's the end of the Iron Man trilogy, but having Tony symbolically blow up his suits when we all know he's still an Avenger was a really strange decision.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
The Mandarin twist was the cringiest shit in the MCU

Disagree. It was a legit clever way to take a racist caricature and make the fear and xenophobia behind it the actual enemy.

tumblr_mrw93mVIXH1r9zp6fo1_500.gif

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
I enjoyed IM3 quite a bit. It's a silly, flawed superhero film but I had a lot of fun with it. I loved the Mandarin twist, but I felt that Guy Pearce wore out his welcome by the end. Didn't care for his super villain moments. I also think the pacing completely dies when he's hanging out with the kid.

I loved the opening scene in particular with the nice little throwback to IM1 and that cheesy Eiffel 65 song.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Low effort drive-by post, history of past similar behavior
trash movie

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
Russo's or no Russo's Iron Man 3 would have stayed an anomaly. Thor, Cap 1 and Avengers already laid out the house style as far as scale/humor/storytelling for the MCU goes. All the Russo's did was clean up the action and cement what was already laid out.

Plus with how the nerd community had a mini TLJ tantrum over Iron Man 3(even though it made a billion) no way Disney would have continued with that style. Love Iron Man 3 and am just glad RDJ at the peak of his powers pushed for such a weird lil move. # Justice for Rebecca Hall.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The Mandarin twist was great. Trevor was the only good thing about the movie.