• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
So I took out my psvita for the first time in more than a year just to charge it. While browsing my download list I saw that I own ghost of sparta , I haven't played it in almost 10 years so i downloaded it just for the nostalgia with low expectations regarding the visuals since it's a psp game after all.
I won't talk about the gameplay or the story too much , it's simply brilliant and I rank it as the second best game of the old style GOW games behind GOW 2.
What I want to focus on are the visuals , Holly shit they still hold up unbelievably well outside of the resolution, it honestly looks better than some switch games. How ready at dawn achieved this on the psp is simply a technical miracle.

Andrain18

Apr 19, 2018
Orange County CA
Loved it so much i bought the collection on Vita. Turns out the Frame rate of the GOW collection wasn't great lol but the Ready at Dawn games were some of the best performing and looking Vita games I played

Jan 11, 2018
It's amazing what they were able to accomplish on the PSP with this game. I'd love if Sony got RAD to do a GOW spinoff for PS5.

OP
OP
AM_LIGHT

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I want to also mention that i am actually playing the psp version not the vita collection version. It still looks incredible in its original format.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Chains of Olympus was just a'ight but Ghost of Sparta really felt like a full blown God of War game. It was almost unheard of that devs pulled off making PSP games as good as the home console counterparts but RAD nailed it.

I want to also mention that i am actually playing the psp version not the vita collection version. It still looks incredible in its original format.
There is no Vita collection version. The only remaster it got was for PS3. The Vita GoW "HD" Collection contains God of War 1 & 2. Hope all GoW games come to PS5 somehow.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The games pacing is pretty much flawless. A year ago I only wanted to take a short look at it again and then ended up replaying the whole game

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018
Incredible title. The length was actually perfect. I'm not sure how they did it but it was perfect.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I played it the PS3 HD version. Amazing game. I almost skipped it cause I thought Chains of Olympus really sucked and just expected this to be like that. Much, much better than it's predecessor.
The HD version looked pretty good too.

OP
OP
AM_LIGHT

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I thought Chains of Olympus was just a'ight but Ghost of Sparta really felt like a full blown God of War game. It was almost unheard of that devs pulled off making PSP games as good as the home console counterparts but RAD nailed it.

There is no Vita collection version. The only remaster it got was for PS3. The Vita GoW "HD" Collection contains God of War 1 & 2. Hope all GoW games come to PS5 somehow.
I guess i confused it with the original GOW collection.

apessino

Ready at Dawn
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Irvine, CA
Thank you so much for the kind words!

Ghost was our 2nd GoW and our 3rd game on PSP - by the time it got started our tech/pipelines on the machine was very mature and our design tools were as refined as we could make them. We were equipped to deliver to our full potential from the get go, so the development of Ghost was basically 100% content creation - obviously the ideal case for how to spend game development resources. Also why, when the foundation is solid, subsequent titles on the same platform often deliver experiences exponentially deeper/more memorable than their predecessors.

It seems like ages ago, but it is just wonderful for us to see people still discover and enjoy these old portable games. :)

Oct 28, 2017
One of the best God of War games probably my second favourite behind 2. One of the best PSP games. The best Ready at Dawn game. It was amazing.

Kerotan

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Mind blowing what they pulled off on a 2005 handheld. I played the ps3 version and loved it. Right up there with killzone mercenaries which was a technical masterclass on the vita.

aerts1js

May 11, 2019
Ghost of Sparta is amazing. Definitely one of my favorite PSP titles. What is RAD up to these days? They are really talented despite the whole Order 1866 thing, I want to see more output from them!

Deleted member 32005

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
you don't need to drag the switch into this! haha.

I never got to play the PSP games unfortunately. :( maybe some day.

OP
OP
AM_LIGHT

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Thank you so much for the kind words!

Ghost was our 2nd GoW and our 3rd game on PSP - by the time it got started our tech/pipelines on the machine was very mature and our design tools were as refined as we could make them. We were equipped to deliver to our full potential from the get go, so the development of Ghost was basically 100% content creation - obviously the ideal case for how to spend game development resources. Also why, when the foundation is solid, subsequent titles on the same platform often deliver experiences exponentially deeper/more memorable than their predecessors.

It seems like ages ago, but it is just wonderful for us to see people still discover and enjoy these old portable games. :)
You guys deserve all the praise you got. It's incredible how well the game still holds up visually in 2020 . I can't wait to see what you can achieve next gen .

Binabik15

Oct 28, 2017
I loved that game.

Now I want that old rumour of DS5 having a screen to be true, so Sony could make PS5 display PSP and Vita games on it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I just beat this for the first time. I put it up there with Meteos/SMT Strange Journey/Peace Walker as one of the best portable games of all time.

Oct 27, 2017
It is one of my favorite GOW games. I loved the varied locations. Atlantis, the snowy mountains, actually going to sparta, deaths domain and many more. It was a really cool adventure.

Also liked the plot and soundtrack. Deimos was cool.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
Just made me sad that ready at dawn collapse after they made their AAA console debut šŸ˜¢