• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
So, I played God of War when it first came out. I actually traded in my launch PS4 for the GoW Pro bundle. I played it on my 55-inch Sony LED. I've always loved GoW and played every game in the franchise -- even the PSP games! The new one was good. I enjoyed it. I finished it. But, it didn't blow me away.

I just never got all of the accolades that the game was getting at the time. Sure, it looked pretty. But not much better, if at all, than some other great games that I had played on my PS4 up to that point. The story was good, but I found parts of it to be a slog.

Well, 2 months ago, I got a 75-inch Samsung Q80 and a Sony soundbar with a subwoofer and rear speakers. In looking at my game library, I decided to pop in GoW, just to see how it would look and sound on my new setup. I started a New Game + and all I can say is, "HOLY SHIT!" It was a different game. It was simply stunning. It was full of eyeball-melting goodness. The graphical difference was so noticeable, so palpable, it was crazy. I've been using it to show off my new TV to my friends, who are equally blown away.

The vividness, the animations, the whole look of the game was on another level to what I remembered. And the MUSIC -- the way it ebbs, flows and swells, with the bass thumping along during battles and the astonishing vistas and overlooks. I had to stop and just stare in amazement at multiple points throughout the game.

The game pulled me in completely to the point where if I can just beat the
DAMN Valkyrie Queen Sigrun!!! I've been stuck on her for about a week!!!
, I will Platinum it. Even though I played it through, it is just a different experience. It is on another level for me, which in turn made the story that much better. Where at the end of my original playthrough, I thought to myself, "that was pretty good", at the end of this playthrough, I was so emotionally drawn into the story, that I actually teared up. This has now become one of the most memorable gaming experience that I've ever had!

Has anyone else experienced this with GoW or other games after a replay? What other games should I be revisiting with my new setup?

Also, any advice on how to beat
Sigrun???
I'd appreciate it as I am about to throw the controller through my new TV!! :)

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, I played God of War when it first came out. I actually traded in my launch PS4 for the GoW Pro bundle. I played it on my 55-inch Sony LED. I've always loved GoW and played every game in the franchise -- even the PSP games! The new one was good. I enjoyed it. I finished it. But, it didn't blow me away.

I just never got all of the accolades that the game was getting at the time. Sure, it looked pretty. But not much better, if at all, than some other great games that I had played on my PS4 up to that point. The story was good, but I found parts of it to be a slog.

Well, 2 months ago, I got a 75-inch Samsung Q80 and a Sony soundbar with a subwoofer and rear speakers. In looking at my game library, I decided to pop in GoW, just to see how it would look and sound on my new setup. I started a New Game + and all I can say is, "HOLY SHIT!" It was a different game. It was simply stunning. It was full of eyeball-melting goodness. The graphical difference was so noticeable, so palpable, it was crazy. I've been using it to show off my new TV to my friends, who are equally blown away.

The vividness, the animations, the whole look of the game was on another level to what I remembered. And the MUSIC -- the way it ebbs, flows and swells, with the bass thumping along during battles and the astonishing vistas and overlooks. I had to stop and just stare in amazement at multiple points throughout the game.

, I will Platinum it. Even though I played it through, it is just a different experience. It is on another level for me, which in turn made the story that much better. Where at the end of my original playthrough, I thought to myself, "that was pretty good", at the end of this playthrough, I was so emotionally drawn into the story, that I actually teared up. This has now become one of the most memorable gaming experience that I've ever had!

Has anyone else experienced this with GoW or other games after a replay? What other games should I be revisiting with my new setup?

Sigrun???
sigrun on NG+ is much harder than she is on NG. See if you can pull up your old save and try to beat her. IIRC, she has a yellow bar on NG+ which means she is two levels above your level. On NG, if you are level 9 (max level) she is a blue bar level 10 enemy.

Also, on NG+ she gains new powers they added to make NG+valkyries even harder. For instance, her valhallas has 3 jumps back to back to back instead of just one in NG. Her frost attack throws three boulders instead of one. She is literally the hardest boss ive ever faced and i just beat sekiro, and that was on NG as a a blue bar enemy. When I met her on NG+ on GMGOW difficulty after spending nearly 10 hours beating all the Valkyries, i couldnt be bothered to fight her for 10 minutes slowly chipping away at her health.

I would recommend you play on Normal instead of the harder difficulties. She is hard enough on Normal. Or go back to your NG save if you can.

On NG, i beat her by basically equipping Health perks in every slot
- My Axe was the mistbourne axe you get for clearing our Niflheim. It regens your health on Axe hits. if your luck is high, it will trigger every 2-3 hits.
- My Atrius upgrade was the squirrel who gives you 3 health items if you have the blue arrows equipped
- My Talisman was the ability to regen health by creating a circle around you. you take less damage and regen health if you stay in it
- My Blade runic attack was the one that gives you health for each blades hit, but you dont want to use the blades in this fight. they are slow and you will need to throw the axe at her when she does blinding attacks.
- Sindri's chest. I didnt use this, but it prevents you taking damage when activating a runic attack. it doesnt always trigger but has a very high chance. use it everytime you think you are fucked.

Here is my run on NG. Again, on NG+ it is much much harder. I will not recommend it. turn it down to normal if you really want to.

Edit: wow in this video, i make a lot of mistakes. When she puts her shields up, just double tap L1 and kratos will break it and leave her open to attacks for 2-3 seconds. When she does her yellow attack, dont dodge, simply parry it. again, that will stagger her as well. Parry window can be made larger if you have the parry talisman which can be turned into a mod by fully upgrading it in NG+.

Last edited:

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That last valkyrie was the only thing left stopping me from getting the platinum.
Feels bad, man.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria

Sigrun???

Now you see the light OP! :)
On a side not, what is the model of the sound bar as I am currently looking for one and are you satisfied?

Dec 6, 2017
US
I'm actually replaying it right now on a new TV with HDR and 4K as well and yeah...it's fucking gorgeous.

tenor.gif

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I gave up on Sigrun after two tries. As much as I like the new God of War overall, I hate the camera in combat.

Also, does the OG God of War theme ever play in the 2018 game? I've been a big fan of Bear McCreary ever since BSG, but I just wanted to hear the bombastic old theme for one moment somewhere in the new game.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
:D

So glad you've been enjoying it so much!

As for Sigrun, it's important to keep in mind that there is a counter for every move she does. It's not even necessarily about having crazy reflexes as knowing what tool to use in response for each portion of her moveset

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Learned Sigrun's patterns by trying to brute force my way through the fight but ended up setting the difficulty to easy after dozens of failed attempts. Got her on my first easy attempt. Got the platinum. No regrets.

Kiekura

Mar 23, 2018
:D

So glad you've been enjoying it so much!

As for Sigrun, it's important to keep in mind that there is a counter for every move she does. It's not even necessarily about having crazy reflexes as knowing what tool to use in response for each portion of her moveset

Yup. Amazed on videos where people beat her without taking any damage.

MDSVeritas

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You can turn the difficulty all the way down and fight her. If you can live with the shame it's certainly do-able.

Unless they patched that out....been a while since I played GoW.

You can get the platinum at any difficulty. No shame whatsoever in doing so I'd say.

OP
OP
Harris Katz

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
sigrun on NG+ is much harder than she is on NG. See if you can pull up your old save and try to beat her. IIRC, she has a yellow bar on NG+ which means she is two levels above your level. On NG, if you are level 9 (max level) she is a blue bar level 10 enemy.

Also, on NG+ she gains new powers they added to make NG+valkyries even harder. For instance, her valhallas has 3 jumps back to back to back instead of just one in NG. Her frost attack throws three boulders instead of one. She is literally the hardest boss ive ever faced and i just beat sekiro, and that was on NG as a a blue bar enemy. When I met her on NG+ on GMGOW difficulty after spending nearly 10 hours beating all the Valkyries, i couldnt be bothered to fight her for 10 minutes slowly chipping away at her health.

I would recommend you play on Normal instead of the harder difficulties. She is hard enough on Normal. Or go back to your NG save if you can.

On NG, i beat her by basically equipping Health perks in every slot
- My Axe was the mistbourne axe you get for clearing our Niflheim. It regens your health on Axe hits. if your luck is high, it will trigger every 2-3 hits.
- My Atrius upgrade was the squirrel who gives you 3 health items if you have the blue arrows equipped
- My Talisman was the ability to regen health by creating a circle around you. you take less damage and regen health if you stay in it
- My Blade runic attack was the one that gives you health for each blades hit, but you dont want to use the blades in this fight. they are slow and you will need to throw the axe at her when she does blinding attacks.
- Sindri's chest. I didnt use this, but it prevents you taking damage when activating a runic attack. it doesnt always trigger but has a very high chance. use it everytime you think you are fucked.

Here is my run on NG. Again, on NG+ it is much much harder. I will not recommend it. turn it down to normal if you really want to.

Edit: wow in this video, i make a lot of mistakes. When she puts her shields up, just double tap L1 and kratos will break it and leave her open to attacks for 2-3 seconds. When she does her yellow attack, dont dodge, simply parry it. again, that will stagger her as well. Parry window can be made larger if you have the parry talisman which can be turned into a mod by fully upgrading it in NG+.

Oh man... thanks for the advice... if I go back to my NG save, I have to beat all of the other Valkyries again! I have come within 1 hit of beating her and get killed every time!! :(

The other Valkyries get down to a little life and then there is an R2 prompt for the final kill. With Sigrun, it looks like you have to get her health all the way to zero?

How about armor? What armor and upgrades allow cool down of runic attacks the fastest?

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man... thanks for the advice... if I go back to my NG save, I have to beat all of the other Valkyries again! I have come within 1 hit of beating her and get killed every time!! :(

The other Valkyries get down to a little life and then there is an R2 prompt for the final kill. With Sigrun, it looks like you have to get her health all the way to zero?

How about armor? What armor and upgrades allow cool down of runic attacks the fastest?
I havent played the game in a year, but im pretty sure the Valkyrie armor had the best cooldown and runic damage stats. I choose Sindri's chest piece every time because it blocks damage during runic attacks but if you dont care about that then go with all Valkryie gear. Choose the red NG+ versions to get more stat bonuses.

Perks matter. If you really like the game and dont mind grinding, try to level up your talisman to NG+ max level and they will become mods. The dodge slow down one and the parry window one are essential. you basically get three talisman abilities without having to equip them.

Sigrun's final health bar is bs. she takes way too much damage when you get her down to a silver of her health. dont know if its a bug but its a pain in the ass. the R3 prompt should definitely appear when you do finally kill her.

OP
OP
Harris Katz

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Regardless TV etc. GoW is a masterpiece. It's so well crafted on multiple levels, astonishing work from Santa Monica Studios.
As for a new TV i personally wait for the PS5 to upgrade to 4K and HDR and what else only God knows what's coming.
I want next gen to blow my socks off:)

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Are humblebrags allowed on here? ;P

I envy you, dude. I'm still on a 55 Inch Sony LED and my financial sittuation has not been stable enough to replace with with an expensive 4K OLED.

MDSVeritas

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Agreed, I did so myself. Sorry if that came off as rude, it was meant to just be sarcasm!
Oh it didn't come off that way at all, don't worry! I just wanted to clarify that it's definitely possible to get it on any difficulty, and I know some folks feel weird about dropping difficulty.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
@OP; when she is in the air dont forget to shoot her wit Boy! This way she wont be able to use that fcking hard attack

OP
OP
Harris Katz

Harris Katz

Apr 9, 2018
I havent played the game in a year, but im pretty sure the Valkyrie armor had the best cooldown and runic damage stats. I choose Sindri's chest piece every time because it blocks damage during runic attacks but if you dont care about that then go with all Valkryie gear. Choose the red NG+ versions to get more stat bonuses.

Perks matter. If you really like the game and dont mind grinding, try to level up your talisman to NG+ max level and they will become mods. The dodge slow down one and the parry window one are essential. you basically get three talisman abilities without having to equip them.

Sigrun's final health bar is bs. she takes way too much damage when you get her down to a silver of her health. dont know if its a bug but its a pain in the ass. the R3 prompt should definitely appear when you do finally kill her.

What about Axe versus Chains of Olympus?? Which one do you recommend? or does it matter?

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
God of War is definitely one of those games where the experience is massively improved by a great audio-visual set up. Not just artistically and in terms of atmosphere, but also in terms of gameplay due to all the informative visual and sound cues and moveset references.

Hell, even less graphically competent games can be too. Take Breath of the Wild, playing it on the Switch's actual portable screen did a huge disservice to the experience for me. Crappy black levels and contrast, poor IQ, the small size etc all totally detract from the sense of grandeur and impact. When you see a massive vista on a 65" OLED with a decent sound set up, you can really feel the sense of scope and immensity, feelings that are simply lost on seeing it on the portable screen.