• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 31, 2017

View: https://i.imgur.com/t2X4lmT.gif

Dunno why Poseidon was shittalking like that since Kratos killed Ares as a mortal, but I'll give him slack since this time, the Gods weren't helping Kratos.

I'm playing GOW 1 - 3 and GOW 2018 in anticipation for Ragnarok this year. I already played GOW1 and 2 through PS Plus. GOW3 is available through the streaming service, but I also downloaded it years ago when it was available, so I downloaded it and started again.

God of War 3 is an interesting case. Remastered, it still pops and looks great (though some character models are significantly better than others). Gameplay-wise, it feels very good and probably has the best assortment of weapons in the original linear games. And bosses such as Hades, Zeus, Hercules, and even Super Cerberus are quite thrilling to fight.

It's a very good game, but there are several things that hold it back from being an overall better package than 2 and 1, even if it does some things better:
  1. The pacing is a bit off. It's not as bad as I remember, but the game does a good job up until probably Cronos with giving you some puzzles, regular fights, then punctuated by a boss fight. However, at a certain point you go deep in the caverns and you're contained to the Labyrinth. And unlike Pandora's Temple in GOW1, this isn't a masterwork of level design; it's just different cubes with pretty easy puzzles in them and then a few fights. The fights are good, at least, especially that last BIG one after the "hope" dialogue with Pandora.
  2. A bit more on pacing: more in this game than the others, I felt the need to give it a break for a few days because it was a little too much. Because the game goes to lengths to really shock you -- first person Posideon kill, cutting off Hermes' legs, ripping off Helios' head, abusing Poseidon's princess (who was ALREADY abused by Posideon) -- you compound that with the feel of the combat, which is improved but also feels more visceral, particularly with the Nemean Cestus -- and you just need to break for a bit. The thing is, it's a short game, so it's honestly a bit strange to me that I'd need a break
  3. Also, there's something very weird about hearing those 'hope' lines in the game. In fact, the whole thing with Pandora's box containing hope is still a lame ending. In fact, the writing is a big step down compared to 1 and 2. A lot of lines try to sneakily be exposition.
  4. Still feels like Helios got shafted. Hermes wasn't much of a fight but at least it made sense considering what his powers were. But Helios was a very small environmental hazard in this game and that's it.
  5. I mentioned level design earlier, but the level design as a whole isn't as good as the first two games. While GOW1 is lacking in even mini-boss fights, it makes up for it with terrific level design and some really cool puzzles. Pandora's Temple remains a fantastic piece of work. GOW3 has much simpler level design, such as when you go to the Pit of Tartarus, go into one room, then a couple ramps declining down, and one gap to jump across to get to the Cronos fight. There's just not as much to it; it's like if the underworld from GOW1 (the design, not the difficulty) were much of GOW3. On the plus side, the Hades section I think has some good puzzles and design, and the garden with Hera is really cool.
  6. The part at the end where you have to run a lot after Zeus comes back to life and sucks away your power? Unnecessary and always a pain on replays. I remember ME3 doing something similar during dream sequences; maybe it was just the thing for video games to do at this time? Story-wise, it's unneeded, execution-wise, it doesn't really do anything or feel as if it has a purpose or theme, and it's just boring to play after a thrilling final boss. I think it could have went straight to the scene with Athena because while beating up Zeus one last time led to that memorable NeoGAF thread, Zeus getting offed by the Sword of Olympus (which he gave to Kratos to give up all his powers in GOW2) into Gaia's heart and the leaders of the Gods of Olympus being taken out simultaneously with the leader of the titans, was a fitting end by itself.
  7. Geez, is this game bleaker than the rest. It's not as if God of War is a happy series, but I feel it's not oppressively sad or tragic, and the latest God of War in 2018 had plenty of levity. But this one just feels sad all the time.
  8. This is probably the most subjective, but I feel the game has much less of a grand feeling to it. It's not that there aren't BIG fights or thrilling fights or anything like that, but the feeling of going through Pandora's Temple, or the feeling of first seeing Ares, or the feeling of the fantastic three-parter of the Sisters of Fate, or traversing so many different worlds in GOW2, just isn't there in a game that's mostly on Mount Olympus. There's a certain cinematic feeling of 1, 2 and 2018 that I don't feel in GOW3.

Despite all the issues, the gameplay and bosses make it a very good game overall because it's fun to play, and that goes a long way in a video game as we know. And some of the direction choices, like part 1 of the Zeus fight being 2D while shit goes down behind you, were great.

2l7ieAn.png

It just needed one of the original directors, I think, to stick the landing smoother. It was fun to play again, and while I can see myself playing through the original games again, I may just come back to play the bosses next time I get to GOW3.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Glad you stopped pressing O or you may never have finished before Ragnarök.

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Still the best God of War game.

Boss fights are some of the most spectacular in gaming and I hope Ragnarok has bosses as epic as this game.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dunno I felt the pacing was much better here. There were too many areas in God of War 1 and 2 that went on for far too long. And not much happened story-wise for it to be justifiable. I'm also glad they dialed back on the puzzles because they were pretty weak in the previous games.

God of War 3 completely shits on the previous two games when it comes to the combat. It ain't the deepest action game but they really polished up the combat system and made the alternative weapons actually useful this time. I did end up using everything in my arsenal this time, unlike in the last two entries.

Jan 20, 2022
Despite doing spectacle better than any other game in the franchise, GOW3 is the weakest of the mainline GOW games in my opinion. Nothing in the game pissed me off as much as that room in GOW1 where you have to move the box with all the spikes or those blade walls you had to climb at the end, but on the whole GOW3 just doesn't feel as substantial as what came before or what would come after. Still has some of my favorite boss fights ever tho

Deserves mentioning that at one point late in the game, Kratos drags a girl kick and screaming and impales her on a giant wheel, killing her and using her body to prop the door open so the player can advance the level. God Of War always played into the edgy teenage male fantasy of the mid 2000's. But even by the standards of this franchise, that scene was too much

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
Some people might say that story was never the point of GoW, even though the very first game had a very well-crafted (straightforward, but well-crafted) tale so I wouldn't agree with this, but the story in this one... If God of War II is "stupid but enjoyable" so to speak, i.e. a lot of things don't quite make sense, Kratos' motivation has been oversimplified and he does a lot of dumb things, God of War III is all that but also, in addition, it is also quite actively disgusting.

I had to REALLY compartmentalise story and gameplay in this one because the gameplay is really good, but whenever I was thinking about WHAT was actually happening.... Eh.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
It was one of the only games from that generation that I thought looked and still looks amazing. I still think 2 was the bigger and better game. 3, while a bombastic ride from start to finish, didn't have that grand sense of adventure that 2 or even 1 had.

The bosses were epic as fuck too. The Zeus fight totally reminded me of the Shredder boss fight in Turtles Arcade game.

Gol

Nov 4, 2017
You're right that the pacing is off. That's the biggest negative that always sticks out to me. It sorta peeters out in the last third.

The last fight against Zues always felt disappointing, like it needed to push the spectacle but didn't go anywhere near far enough.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
GoW3 will forever live in my memory as having the best QTE sequence in gaming history.

Pressing L3 and R3 to gouge out the eyes of Poseidon...fucking perfection.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I replayed it right after finishing GoW 2018 and thought it held up really well. As much as I love where they went with 2018 I will always have a soft spot for those original games.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
probably has the best assortment of weapons in the original linear games.
I thought one of the complaints for GOW3 were that the weapons were derivatives of the blades of exile. With the exception of the Nemean Cestus(Hercules gauntlets), all the other weapons were pretty much chained weapons. Compared to God of War 2 where as you have a spear and a hammer as weapon choices.

TooFriendly

Oct 30, 2017
When I got to the part where you fight Zeus and it turns into the worlds worst 2D fighting game all of a sudden, I found it so annoying and I've never forgiven it.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I thought one of the complaints for GOW3 were that the weapons were derivatives of the blades of exile. With the exception of the Nemean Cestus(Hercules gauntlets), all the other weapons were pretty much chained weapons. Compared to God of War 2 where as you have a spear and a hammer as weapon choices.

They're chains, but they're fun in their own right. The last weapon you get can be a beast to use.

Problem I have with 2's is I never found a reason to use the others save the hammer during the gauntlet at the end on titan mode.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
My random thoughts:

• Hades shouldn't have been the second boss you kill. Zeus, Poseidon, and Hades are like the top 3 bosses of the greek Pantheon, and while I get wanting to open with Poseidon, having Hades right after kind of makes it so that you have no major expected challenge hereafter. Helios and Hermes and Hera all went down like chumps and Aphrodite wasn't interested in fighting. Hades should have been the midgame boss.

• I think there's something weird about how we don't talk about how anticlimactic Zeus was as a boss fight. We BEAT him in God of War 2, and honestly? He was more powerful there. He turned into a giant dude and occasionally stole back the Olympus blade and had more abilities. It's kind of weird how we're building up to go round 2 with a guy that we beat, has no upgrades, is doing sweet fuck all the entire game even though we're raiding his city, and is basically a less impressive boss fight, and no one comments on how much weaker this is than the last game. Usually in action games, you scale up, the next boss is more powerful than the last, but here...?

• If I could do a rewrite, I'd actually have Hercules as the final boss. I know this seems to contradict to what I just said, but honestly, if Kratos is supposed to be stronger than Zeus, why shouldn't Hercules also be so? But I think this would be a more meaningful fight if you rewrite Hercules to be truer to his mythologyical origins, because that provides a more interesting contrast - Hercules also had his family die except instead of rebelling against the gods, he found peace by allying with them, vowing his service to them. Kratos is like 95% a Hercules retelling except where he decided to murder gods when he killed his family, so I think he and Hercules would have an interesting conversation since they basically have the same backstory. Plus, in mythology, Hercules is destined to help the gods win a Giantomachy (similar to the Titanomachy from the first game, but...well, with giants) and you could basically transplant his destiny onto this conflict and you basically have a case where you have two destined warriors with contradicting destinies. Idk, I just thought that would be a much better end boss than "Zeus again, but worse"

ket

Jul 27, 2018
I rly have to disagree with pandora's temple in gow 1 being good lvl design. I think in terms of atmosphere and story, it holds up and turned out to be a unique part of the series.

But, it also has several of the most annoying parts of gow 1 like the box pushing room with the timed spike traps, the balancing beam section with the saw blade traps, the part where you have to push the caged guy up a slope while fighting enemies, the damage-spongey enemies like the blue minotaurs and the guys with the double-bladed staffs, etc.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
  • I think there's something weird about how we don't talk about how anticlimactic Zeus was as a boss fight. We BEAT him in God of War 2, and honestly? He was more powerful there. He turned into a giant dude and occasionally stole back the Olympus blade and had more abilities. It's kind of weird how we're building up to go round 2 with a guy that we beat, has no upgrades, is doing sweet fuck all the entire game even though we're raiding his city, and is basically a less impressive boss fight, and no one comments on how much weaker this is than the last game. Usually in action games, you scale up, the next boss is more powerful than the last, but here...?

I've read some here who would agree with you, yes, who said something similar. Me, though? I think 2 is a great fight, but 3 is even better. I think the one thing 2 does "wrong" is having the second part of the fight go on a little too long. 3 works a bit better, and fighting inside Gaia's body, attacking her heart, and fighting 8 Zeus's is pretty spectacular. Yeah, I get that Zeus at least gets bigger in 2, but it's not as if he's as aggressive as even the Colossus at the beginning in that form.

EDIT: No argument to the story elements. The titans went down pretty quickly, so I have no idea what Zeus was up to besides smoking cigars waiting for Kratos.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My cousin watching me boot up GoW III convinced him to buy a PS3. That first opening cutscene with no "loading" was a sight to behold, plus the Poseidon level was just bonkers good.

I've platinumed the game multiple times and each time I walk away really impressed with the game, except for the guitar hero bit which just felt so outta left field.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
I've replayed 1 and 2 at least a couple times since release, but for some reason never get around to replaying 3. Even during my Platinum Trophy kick for the series to act as a motivator lol

Dunno what it was about 3 that always deters me. I enjoyed it at release, but couldn't tell you what keeps me from going back.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017
Love this game, including it's gore, and spiteful and cruel tone.

For me, classic GoW peaked with part 3. Accession confirmed it was time to for GoW to drastically change.

GoW3 will forever live in my memory as having the best QTE sequence in gaming history.

Pressing L3 and R3 to gouge out the eyes of Poseidon...fucking perfection.

Imagine this with the PS5 controller's haptic feedback.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I finished GoW 2 on Saturday and Chains of Olympus last night. Starting Ghost of Sparta tonight, then Ascension, then III. This series is great, I don't know why i waited so long to get into it.

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
Some people might say that story was never the point of GoW, even though the very first game had a very well-crafted (straightforward, but well-crafted) tale so I wouldn't agree with this, but the story in this one... If God of War II is "stupid but enjoyable" so to speak, i.e. a lot of things don't quite make sense, Kratos' motivation has been oversimplified and he does a lot of dumb things, God of War III is all that but also, in addition, it is also quite actively disgusting.

I had to REALLY compartmentalise story and gameplay in this one because the gameplay is really good, but whenever I was thinking about WHAT was actually happening.... Eh.

i stopped playing the franchise because of how disgusting and offensive III is. eventually i let the positive impressions of 2018 sway me into returning to the series, and I am glad i did because i really enjoyed it. but i really did not enjoy the WHAT, as you put it, of gow III.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
While I think 3 missed an opportunity in perhaps combining the best of 1 and 2's ideas into a single package it's still an amazing game. My first PS3 experience!

Also somehow felt that the payoff during finally getting your hands on a final match with Zeus was worth it. Chef's kiss to whoever on the team had the idea that you get to decide when you're done beating the shit out of him. It's a gross game no doubt, but I think all three did a good job of capturing the anger of Kratos in the kills.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this game is underrated.

Personally my 2nd favourite after 2, and better than 2018.

Some absolutely epic spectacular shit. The pinancle of PS3 "have you seen this???" cinematic cell processor flexing.

Wasn't let down at all by it. Being a notch less good than 2 is no bad thing.

I dunno what it was about the 2018 game that failed to capture me. I just don't think the bosses (except the stranger fight 1) compared, and the setting is just not as compelling to me.

Last edited:

N.47H.4N

Oct 27, 2017
It's my favorite of the original trilogy, definition of epic and bombastic, I wish the game was longer, you kill a god after another too fast, but except that I loved from start to finish, to this day the game looks and plays great, one of my favorite ever.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
16e2a306e1f8ffc7a84d82e838e632162cde51d8_00.gif

BlandThoseArkshell-size_restricted.gif

4G08Kj.gif

Still makes my jaw drop all these years later.

Jan 11, 2018

View: https://i.imgur.com/t2X4lmT.gif

Dunno why Poseidon was shittalking like that since Kratos killed Ares as a mortal, but I'll give him slack since this time, the Gods weren't helping Kratos.

I'm playing GOW 1 - 3 and GOW 2018 in anticipation for Ragnarok this year. I already played GOW1 and 2 through PS Plus. GOW3 is available through the streaming service, but I also downloaded it years ago when it was available, so I downloaded it and started again.

God of War 3 is an interesting case. Remastered, it still pops and looks great (though some character models are significantly better than others). Gameplay-wise, it feels very good and probably has the best assortment of weapons in the original linear games. And bosses such as Hades, Zeus, Hercules, and even Super Cerberus are quite thrilling to fight.

It's a very good game, but there are several things that hold it back from being an overall better package than 2 and 1, even if it does some things better:
  1. The pacing is a bit off. It's not as bad as I remember, but the game does a good job up until probably Cronos with giving you some puzzles, regular fights, then punctuated by a boss fight. However, at a certain point you go deep in the caverns and you're contained to the Labyrinth. And unlike Pandora's Temple in GOW1, this isn't a masterwork of level design; it's just different cubes with pretty easy puzzles in them and then a few fights. The fights are good, at least, especially that last BIG one after the "hope" dialogue with Pandora.
  2. A bit more on pacing: more in this game than the others, I felt the need to give it a break for a few days because it was a little too much. Because the game goes to lengths to really shock you -- first person Posideon kill, cutting off Hermes' legs, ripping off Helios' head, abusing Poseidon's princess (who was ALREADY abused by Posideon) -- you compound that with the feel of the combat, which is improved but also feels more visceral, particularly with the Nemean Cestus -- and you just need to break for a bit. The thing is, it's a short game, so it's honestly a bit strange to me that I'd need a break
  3. Also, there's something very weird about hearing those 'hope' lines in the game. In fact, the whole thing with Pandora's box containing hope is still a lame ending. In fact, the writing is a big step down compared to 1 and 2. A lot of lines try to sneakily be exposition.
  4. Still feels like Helios got shafted. Hermes wasn't much of a fight but at least it made sense considering what his powers were. But Helios was a very small environmental hazard in this game and that's it.
  5. I mentioned level design earlier, but the level design as a whole isn't as good as the first two games. While GOW1 is lacking in even mini-boss fights, it makes up for it with terrific level design and some really cool puzzles. Pandora's Temple remains a fantastic piece of work. GOW3 has much simpler level design, such as when you go to the Pit of Tartarus, go into one room, then a couple ramps declining down, and one gap to jump across to get to the Cronos fight. There's just not as much to it; it's like if the underworld from GOW1 (the design, not the difficulty) were much of GOW3. On the plus side, the Hades section I think has some good puzzles and design, and the garden with Hera is really cool.
  6. The part at the end where you have to run a lot after Zeus comes back to life and sucks away your power? Unnecessary and always a pain on replays. I remember ME3 doing something similar during dream sequences; maybe it was just the thing for video games to do at this time? Story-wise, it's unneeded, execution-wise, it doesn't really do anything or feel as if it has a purpose or theme, and it's just boring to play after a thrilling final boss. I think it could have went straight to the scene with Athena because while beating up Zeus one last time led to that memorable NeoGAF thread, Zeus getting offed by the Sword of Olympus (which he gave to Kratos to give up all his powers in GOW2) into Gaia's heart and the leaders of the Gods of Olympus being taken out simultaneously with the leader of the titans, was a fitting end by itself.
  7. Geez, is this game bleaker than the rest. It's not as if God of War is a happy series, but I feel it's not oppressively sad or tragic, and the latest God of War in 2018 had plenty of levity. But this one just feels sad all the time.
  8. This is probably the most subjective, but I feel the game has much less of a grand feeling to it. It's not that there aren't BIG fights or thrilling fights or anything like that, but the feeling of going through Pandora's Temple, or the feeling of first seeing Ares, or the feeling of the fantastic three-parter of the Sisters of Fate, or traversing so many different worlds in GOW2, just isn't there in a game that's mostly on Mount Olympus. There's a certain cinematic feeling of 1, 2 and 2018 that I don't feel in GOW3.

Despite all the issues, the gameplay and bosses make it a very good game overall because it's fun to play, and that goes a long way in a video game as we know. And some of the direction choices, like part 1 of the Zeus fight being 2D while shit goes down behind you, were great.

2l7ieAn.png

It just needed one of the original directors, I think, to stick the landing smoother. It was fun to play again, and while I can see myself playing through the original games again, I may just come back to play the bosses next time I get to GOW3.

I agree with many of your points, but I still enjoy the game quite a bit... This set of bosses are the best SSM has done in my opinion.

Have you tried Ascension? I know it gets shat on a lot but I actually prefer it to 3. It fixes what seems to be your main gripe... pacing and level design. The story is dumb but the bosses and setpieces are great, lots of cool little puzzles and environmental variety.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
16e2a306e1f8ffc7a84d82e838e632162cde51d8_00.gif

BlandThoseArkshell-size_restricted.gif

4G08Kj.gif

Still makes my jaw drop all these years later.
It's technical marvel is only rivaled by it's logistical idiocy. I want anyone who plays to imagine themselves as Kronos doing the things he does to try to 'kill' kratos and then have the same amount of respect for it. Then look at the actual gameplay Kratos is doing and realize that 'fighting kronos' actually comes down to fighting mostly low level enemies and some basic platforming.

I appreciate a good spectacle fight, but GoW always had this problem where it's enemies just do stupid things so that Kratos can get in position to do the cool QTE, and this is the absolute epitome of it. Kronos is just a big dumb idiot that does as bad a job at trying to kill kratos as is possible to do. Idk, for me, a lot of the spectacle is taken out of it when he attacks once every 5 hours in as telegraphed manner as possible and he has to go out of his way to not kill you so the player can do the QTE poses.

There's a reason this fight mostly looks good in short gifs highlight the best snapshot moments, and not in actually playing the damn thing.

Last edited:

NeoBob688

Oct 27, 2017
It is a fantastic game. A number of really amazing set pieces and a tour de force of interesting levels and encounters with good pacing.

I do agree with you that by the time of reaching the last act, most of the interesting things in the game have happened by then. They didn't really understand where to take the plot near the end.

Vito

Oct 25, 2017
I found GoW 2018 to be really disappointing in this regard. GoW 1-3 just had much more epic set pieces and sadly GoW 2018 doesn't come close to them imo. I really hope they manage to make some incredibly epic stuff for GoW:R.
Agreed. GoW [2018] doesn't even come close to reaching the sheer spectacle of 3. Hopefully they correct this with Ragnarok.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This felt like one of the first times I noticed a game just absolutely blast its whole load within like 3 encounters. The spectacle of the big fights is incredible, but it comes at a hefty cost when most of the game is in bland cave environments or the giant box room. Felt really underwhelmed after GoW2 being so good, since 3 not only lacks in the adventure feel, but is a much shorter game to boot.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
I found GoW 2018 to be really disappointing in this regard. GoW 1-3 just had much more epic set pieces and sadly GoW 2018 doesn't come close to them imo. I really hope they manage to make some incredibly epic stuff for GoW:R.

I feel like the combat system doesn't really allow for stuff like this. The fight against the Dragon in GOW18 was so boring.

Though maybe they can do something cool in Ragnarok now that we can use the blades to grapple onto specific spots.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the combat system doesn't really allow for stuff like this. The fight against the Dragon in GOW18 was so boring.

Though maybe they can do something cool in Ragnarok now that we can use the blades to grapple onto specific spots.
Yea, I feel like we need more gameplay mechanics (like the climbing section in the Poseidon fight for example) in GoW:R to help in creating these type of fights. We also need better QTEs. I know most people here don't like QTEs in games, but (the old) GoW always managed to make them feel epic in its set pieces.

In general we just need more and bigger/better set pieces and boss fights compared to GoW 2018.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
I agree with many of your points, but I still enjoy the game quite a bit... This set of bosses are the best SSM has done in my opinion.

Have you tried Ascension? I know it gets shat on a lot but I actually prefer it to 3. It fixes what seems to be your main gripe... pacing and level design. The story is dumb but the bosses and setpieces are great, lots of cool little puzzles and environmental variety.

I did try it and it's the only one I couldn't finish. 😔

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
My favourite gow.

Best boss fights, music is awesome. Looks great still. Combat is good.

Hope ragnarok has better boss fights (and more) than 2018. That game was a downgrade in that department

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
I had a REALLY hard time believing his attachment to Pandora. I understand the point was "well she reminds him of his daughter!" but I don't think the game draws attention to that, plus it doesn't give them enough time to get know each other before he decides she's a priority.

The point of Kratos in this game is that he's become a monster who can't be stopped and is blinded by revenge and barely has humanity left, and I get they were going for a "but yanno, there's still a man in there somewhere" thing. I just don't think they did it well.

i do love the spectacle in this game though , and the fact that it's literally just "Kratos murders every single Greek god" as the plot is such a fun premise. Theoretically you could play this game standalone and it still works, you'd get enough information, but you also get a conclusion to a trilogy. I dunno, I appreciate that this game functions as both a conclusion and a solid package on its own.

This was definitely the game to make me think the style change wasn't the WORST idea for the reboot. Combat turned into button mashing quick, and after 3 games I dunno if they were interested in getting more complex than that.

OP
OP
ThisThingIsUseful
Oct 31, 2017
Ahh, bummer. What part did you get to?

Unfortunately, no. I did download it when it became a PS+ game, but it was years ago. I remember not liking the changes in the weapons system, and for whatever reason, I became bored with the game, which was a first for me for the franchise.

I wanted to like it because God of War's been a special franchise for me, and I've liked every GOW game in some form (except the mobile game that I've never played). But Ascension was the one I couldn't complete.

I had a REALLY hard time believing his attachment to Pandora. I understand the point was "well she reminds him of his daughter!" but I don't think the game draws attention to that, plus it doesn't give them enough time to get know each other before he decides she's a priority.

The point of Kratos in this game is that he's become a monster who can't be stopped and is blinded by revenge and barely has humanity left, and I get they were going for a "but yanno, there's still a man in there somewhere" thing. I just don't think they did it well.

i do love the spectacle in this game though , and the fact that it's literally just "Kratos murders every single Greek god" as the plot is such a fun premise. Theoretically you could play this game standalone and it still works, you'd get enough information, but you also get a conclusion to a trilogy. I dunno, I appreciate that this game functions as both a conclusion and a solid package on its own.

This was definitely the game to make me think the style change wasn't the WORST idea for the reboot. Combat turned into button mashing quick, and after 3 games I dunno if they were interested in getting more complex than that.

I felt the same way. Kratos cares about his family? Of course. Kratos regrets stabbing Athena at the end of GOW2? She's been with him for a while, and I can see having some attachment to her (side note: why'd they change all God voices in GOW2, and Athena's voice in 3 and Ghost of Sparta, only to make her British again in GOW 2018 which sounds much better anyway?). But the attachment to Pandora makes no sense to me, or at least felt unearned.

Sadly, the cliffhanger of GOW2 wasn't met with GOW3. The beginning felt like what was supposed to happen afterward, but it didn't feel as if they had a solid story fleshed out past that, so after the opening, Kratos is knocked down, he slowly climbs Mount Olympus again while all the titans fall quickly, and most of the gods are chilling out waiting for him except Helios, who's kicking one of the titan's asses and is relegated to minor environmental hazard.

God, I know it sounds like I'm super negative about the game, but it IS a really fun game! There's just so much holding it back from being the best of the originals.

Last edited: