• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Sephzilla

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
So you complain about the statue of liberty being cheesy and offer an even more cheesy alternative in its stead? Well then.
I'm not sure you get cheesier than the statue of liberty walking down main street with feel good music blasting. Everyone rallying behind the Ghostbusters as a symbol isn't that outrageous when you remember that it's literally how the end of the first movie went.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure you get cheesier than the statue of liberty walking down main street with feel good music blasting. Everyone rallying behind the Ghostbusters as a symbol isn't that outrageous when you remember that it's literally how the end of the first movie went.
That option screams "everyone buy our merch, New York LOVES us!"

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
As for your point 1. Consider this:

After defeating Gozer, Ghost activity just... ended. The Ghostbusters suddenly had nothing left to do and the public started considering ita publicity stunt. Bam, you get the Ghostbusters 2 status quo.
Yeah. This plot point bothered me a lot more when I was a kid, but between this and observing how badly susceptible people are to conspiracy theories in real life, I can buy into this a lot more now.

Ghostbusters 2 is still largely "the first movie, but worse" though.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I was actually going to make a comment about how Ghostbusters 2 tries to forget Winston exists almost as much as the first movie does. When Dana comes asking for help, Winston isn't there to help and is gone from the movie until the courtroom scene (where he cameos and promptly vanishes away, doesn't even bother helping the guys) and then doesn't show up again until the montage.
I'm guessing he didn't bother helping at the courthouse because they didn't have his equipment there. They only had the Professors' equipment there because of the trial for evidence. At least that made some sense even though it was bs.

Winston rules and has some really great lines. Wish they used him more in both films.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing he didn't bother helping at the courthouse because they didn't have his equipment there. They only had the Professors' equipment there because of the trial for evidence. At least that made some sense even though it was bs.

Winston rules and has some really great lines. Wish they used him more in both films.

If I recall, Ernie Hudson didn't appreciate how his character was basically sidelined after Eddie Murphy turned the role down in the first film, and he was less interested to reprise the role int he sequel, so he received even worse screen time.

It will be interesting to see his role in the third film

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
If I recall, Ernie Hudson didn't appreciate how his character was basically sidelined after Eddie Murphy turned the role down in the first film, and he was less interested to reprise the role int he sequel, so he received even worse screen time.

It will be interesting to see his role in the third film
Ernie Hudson did a great job too. Eddie Murphy would have been a bit too much with Bill Murray playing the jokester.

joecanada

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Well you're bang on about the marketing bit. Ghostbusters shit was huge for a while so part 2 was pretty vital to keep that rolling I bet.

Also OP ghosting someone while dating wasn't a term back then so I reject your pun

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
One of those films that the hyperbole of the internet has twisted into irredeemable trash when it's fine.

Oct 25, 2017
It's damn near the exact same movie as the first one. Dana is haunted, they swapped out Gozer for Vigo and the marshmallow man for the Statue of Liberty, and swapped out Louis for Janosh.

It's not nearly as quotable as the first movie. Shit was like 95% unnecessary.