• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sephzilla

Herald of Stoptimus Crime
Oct 25, 2017
9846e5dc0b9ba234-600x338.jpg

As kind of a primer for some Halloween movie watching, my wife and I decided to throw on Ghostbusters 2. It's been quite a long time since I've watched the entire movie start to finish and for my wife she hasn't seen in since she was a kid (oddly I didn't even realize this year was the 30th anniversary of the movie).

Well, I watched it, I have things to say.

Firstly before I start ranting and getting a little nitpicky in spots I want to say that Ghostbusters 2 is a good movie, it just isn't as good as the original Ghostbusters. Like, if Ghostbusters is a 9.5/10 movie then Ghosbusters 2 is a solid 7.5/10. It's fine. It's not bad by any real stretch of the imagination.

1- The status quo of the first act is dependent on basically everyone forgetting what happens at the end of Ghostbusters
In what might be one of the single biggest plot pills audiences have ever had to swallow, Ghostbusters 2 opens with the Ghostbusters having been disbanned, out of business, sued by multiple agencies, barred from actually doing paranormal research together, and viewed as frauds by seemingly everyone. It's almost like Ghostbusters 2 exists in a parallel timeline where Walter Peck wins in the end.

kRgAY7M.gif

Ultimately it feels like there's some serious backstory we're missing here that explains how everyone collectively forgot about a 200 foot marshmallow man walked down the middle of Manhattan shortly after everyone across town was seeing signs of the apocalypse and decided that the Ghostbusters faked it all. The weird thing about this story decision, in the full scope of the movie's plot, is that it's a completely unnecessary addition. If you remove all of the "the Ghostbusters are broke" stuff from the story and just assume that they've stayed in business since the first movie, the rest of the movie still works without a hitch. The entire mini arc of the Ghostbusters going back into business seems like it's only in the movie in order to justify them getting some new equipment and gear, which leads me to my second item.

2- The movie is a little too self aware and there's a stronger marketing influence
There's a bunch of things in this movie that feel too self aware that this is a sequel, and it gives Ghostbusters 2 an underlying feeling that marketing has crept into the production of the movie a little too much. The "Ghostbusters" theme song apparently exists within the movie's universe, the "who you gonna call?" tag line is dropped multiple times in the movie, the Ecto-1A has a giant "we're back" marquee on it, and the actual Ghostbusters logo used by the team is the same "2" logo used by the movie itself. The Ecto-1 gets refitted into the Ecto-1A (which, I have to say, now looks even more comically top heavy), a revamp that actually has no purpose in the movie what so ever; the new toys on the car are never utilized and no characters even acknowledge that the Ecto-1 has changed. It feels like a change that happened purely for the sake of selling a few more toys. The Ghostbusters themselves get some new alternate dark uniforms which feels like an excuse to get kids to buy new halloween costumes and not just recycle old ones from the first movie (this is admittedly a nitpick though since the team having back up uniforms makes complete sense). Also, this little shit getting a credit at the end of the movie reeks of toy selling.

slimer3.gif

3- The "everyone needs to be happier" message is a little too on the nose
The story hook for Ghostbusters 2 is that the negative energy from the citizens of New York is unknowingly fueling a supernatural threat that's planning on resurrecting itself. I actually really like the basic premise of the story and it's a good way to differentiate itself from the threat in the first movie. But man, shit gets a little too on the nose especially in act 3 when it comes to addressing the crisis. Ray's big hokey speech about not believing New York is this far gone, the entire city cheering as the Statue of Liberty walks through the city, and the evil pink slime being undone by everyone singing New Years jingles is just... a little... ugh... I dunno, too cheesy compared to the tone of the rest of the movie (and the first movie).

Also, I straight up need to complain about the Statue of Liberty thing. It's obvious that they were trying to one-up the craziness of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man from the first movie, but ugh, it didn't work this time. I understand the entire hook of "they need a symbol to rally around" in regards to defeating the evil pink slime, but there could have been a slightly more grounded way to do it. Maybe the symbol for this should have been the Ghostbusters themselves? This would have been a good way to tie the first act of the movie into the rest of the movie a little more, let the renewed hope in the Ghostbusters be the symbol that the rest of the city rallies behind and have that become the positive force against the slime?

4- Why does Viggo need a baby?
This is basically just an issue with the story not explaining something properly, so again I'm being nitpicky. Why does Viggo actually need to have a host body in order to roam the Earth again? He can easily influence the world from within the confines of his painting and at the end of the movie he even leaves the painting and takes on a physical form himself complete with some Gozer-tier super powers.

5- Dana Barrett's character arc in this movie sure is strange to me
So between movies; Dana and Peter break up, the break up is seemingly Peter's fault due to his refusal to commit, they basically ghost each other (haha) after the breakup, Dana goes on to get married, have a child, and get divorced, before Ghostbusters 2 starts up. Even at the start of the movie, Dana doesn't want to interact with Peter to the point where she tells Egon to not tell Peter that she reached out to them for help. Yet, the moment Peter walks into her apartment with the others (uninvited, I might add) she kind of abruptly does a 180 and immediately seems open to getting back together with them. And basically any time the two interact together on screen there's some variation of Dana fawning over Peter happening. It seems like a weird change compared to the Dana from the first movie who was way more reserved about Peter and his antics.

Now for some things I did like about the movie
Like I said earlier, the general idea of the Ghostbusters taking on a crisis that's fueled by negativity is a pretty solid premise and isn't necessarily just them fighting Gozer 2.0. Also, I actually really dug the subway sequence when the Ghostbusters are searching for the river of slime.

Ghostbusters 2 generally lacks more spooky and legitimately scary moments compared to the original movie, but the subway scene with all of the heads popping up around them was pretty on point. The humor of the movie is also a little better than I think I gave it credit for back in the day. Yeah, it's still not as sharp as Ghostbusters 1's humor but it holds its own. Also, shout outs to Peter MacNicol for giving the weakest and most hilarious handshake in the history of cinema.

hqdefault.jpg

Is there a way to "fix" Ghostbusters 2?
To reiterate I don't think the sequel is a bad movie by any stretch, but I do think the story could have been fine tuned a bit more to feel like a bit of a smoother transition from the first movie to the second. For example, the "Ghostbusters are broke" thing could have still worked but without needing New York to collectively forget how the first movie ended. How about this, the Ghostbusters are just running out of money because ever since the Gozer incident, along with the Ghosbusters simply doing their job, paranormal incidents have been dramatically decreasing and the revenue stream just isn't coming in anymore? The original movie does establish that the approaching arrival of Gozer was causing a spike in paranormal activity, so it would make sense that post-Gozer there would be a decrease in the Ghosbusters' workload.

The Ghostbusters just running low on funds could then be used as an explanation for why city officials don't initially believe the Ghostbusters when they say a new threat is building up underneath them. The mayor's assistant, the one who throws them into the mental asylum in the movie, could just say that this is a made up scheme in order to boost the Ghostbuster's bank account (hell, why not just bring back Walter Peck to be that guy?) and then they ultimately realize the Ghostbusters were telling the truth the entire time. Then the Ghostbusters ultimately coming back from the brink of bankruptcy to save New York again could be the symbol of hope that New York needs in the third act instead of a Statue of Liberty that's piloted by an NES controller.

With that I don't have much else to say about Ghostbusters 2. Lets talk, Era.

Raza

Nov 7, 2017
Ohio
I really enjoy the second one. I'd rate it slightly higher, 8-9 range.

This is basically just an issue with the story not explaining something properly, so again I'm being nitpicky. Why does Viggo actually need to have a host body in order to roam the Earth again? He can easily influence the world from within the confines of his painting and at the end of the movie he even leaves the painting and takes on a physical form himself complete with some Gozer-tier super powers.
Well, if you were being reborn with full cognizance, you might as well start as young as possible as opposed to a 40 year old man. He only hops into Ray at when all options were extinguished.

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
I loved Dana's switch from concert musician to conservator. It's like a 'high culture job' roulette.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Too hot to handle, too cold to hold
They're called the Ghostbusters and they're in control
Had 'em throwin' a party for a bunch of children
While all of the while the slime was under the building…

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As for your point 1. Consider this:

After defeating Gozer, Ghost activity just... ended. The Ghostbusters suddenly had nothing left to do and the public started considering ita publicity stunt. Bam, you get the Ghostbusters 2 status quo.

ann3nova.

Oct 27, 2017
Two moments in this movie that I really like. Both are music based:

Control being played when the team goes "back into action".
Higher and Higher with the Statue of Liberty.

Both moments make me happy.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I rewatched 1 and 2 a couple weeks ago. 2 is obviously inferior but still a good time.

It still grinds my gears that the Egon/Janine tension in the first movie is totally ignored and instead she goes for.... Louis? Also he wears Egon's uniform at the end... fucking bullshit I say.

Also I agree that Dana cozying up to Peter so quickly is just weird. She goes to Egon first and doesn't want Peter to know. But then all of a sudden she is living with him because reasons? Why not stay with Ray or Egon or Winston instead since they aren't going to molest her?

I loved Dana's switch from concert musician to conservator. It's like a 'high culture job' roulette.
As mentioned in the film, it was a less time-intensive and stressful job while Oscar was an infant. She mentioned to Janosz she was leaving and going back to her musician career early in the film.

On Our Own is still a banger.

Last edited:

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it back in the day, after watching it straight after the original a while ago I thought it was just horrid.

It's virtually the same plot as the first film.

- everyone is a little down on their luck
- they prove themselves by capturing a ghost
- cue ghostbusting montage (which is far weaker with a far worse song)
- some asshole tries to have them shut down and locked up
- Dana becomes a hostage and needs rescued
- mayor let's them go
- giant creature walks through new york

RedSparrows

Prophet of Regret
Feb 22, 2019
As mentioned in the film, it was a less time-intensive and stressful job while Oscar was an infant. She mentioned to Janosz she was leaving and going back to her musician career early in the film.

It's an extremely skillful job that seems odd to pick up at a career break. I know it's a minor knitpick but it's always tickled me.

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
2- The movie is a little too self aware and there's a stronger marketing influence
There's a bunch of things in this movie that feel too self aware that this is a sequel, and it gives Ghostbusters 2 an underlying feeling that marketing has crept into the production of the movie a little too much. The "Ghostbusters" theme song apparently exists within the movie's universe, the "who you gonna call?" tag line is dropped multiple times in the movie, the Ecto-1A has a giant "we're back" marquee on it, and the actual Ghostbusters logo used by the team is the same "2" logo used by the movie itself. The Ecto-1 gets refitted into the Ecto-1A (which, I have to say, now looks even more comically top heavy), a revamp that actually has no purpose in the movie what so ever; the new toys on the car are never utilized and no characters even acknowledge that the Ecto-1 has changed. It feels like a change that happened purely for the sake of selling a few more toys. The Ghostbusters themselves get some new alternate dark uniforms which feels like an excuse to get kids to buy new halloween costumes and not just recycle old ones from the first movie (this is admittedly a nitpick though since the team having back up uniforms makes complete sense). Also, this little shit getting a credit at the end of the movie reeks of toy selling.

I remember really disliking Ghostbusters II as a kid when it first came out in the theater and I think this is largely why. It was just too reliant on "hey remember the first one?" that it bugged the crap out of me. I ran into the same issue with other sequels like Austin Powers and Wayne's World (Mike Meyers in general just shouldn't be allowed to make sequels).

The original is one of my favorite movies still, but I've never been willing to give the sequel another chance.

Last edited:

Cheeky Devlin

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah it's a massively under-rated movie. Like you say, it's not as good as the original (Few movies are), but it's solid enough and has some decent set pieces.

Peter MacNicol is also an unsung star in this.

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
3- The "everyone needs to be happier" message is a little too on the nose
The story hook for Ghostbusters 2 is that the negative energy from the citizens of New York is unknowingly fueling a supernatural threat that's planning on resurrecting itself. I actually really like the basic premise of the story and it's a good way to differentiate itself from the threat in the first movie. But man, shit gets a little too on the nose especially in act 3 when it comes to addressing the crisis. Ray's big hokey speech about not believing New York is this far gone, the entire city cheering as the Statue of Liberty walks through the city, and the evil pink slime being undone by everyone singing New Years jingles is just... a little... ugh... I dunno, too cheesy compared to the tone of the rest of the movie (and the first movie).

Also, I straight up need to complain about the Statue of Liberty thing. It's obvious that they were trying to one-up the craziness of the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man from the first movie, but ugh, it didn't work this time. I understand the entire hook of "they need a symbol to rally around" in regards to defeating the evil pink slime, but there could have been a slightly more grounded way to do it. Maybe the symbol for this should have been the Ghostbusters themselves? This would have been a good way to tie the first act of the movie into the rest of the movie a little more, let the renewed hope in the Ghostbusters be the symbol that the rest of the city rallies behind and have that become the positive force against the slime?
I agree it is cheesy. I think it is worth mentioning NYC was extremely image conscious coming out of the 70s/early 80s as being a crime infested cynical hell hole. It makes sense for the period, though I definitely agree it overdoes it into cheese levels that only gets worse the more it ages. It doesn't come across as sincere and earnest and instead flips back around to cynical and vapid. If you just smile more the world will be a better place levels of truism.

Scrooged is easily the superior anti-cynical Murray flick from this period.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I love how the guy on whacky psychic show in the beginning actually did predict the end of the world down to the day (stroke of midnight New years Eve), but the ghostbusters saved us.

Sectorseven

Oct 25, 2017
Something about it felt visually inconsistent with the first.

I don't know if they used a different film stock or just the over all tone, but it felt less gritty to me.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Is slimer actually the spirit of a single deceased human, or is he just some sort of weird amalgamation of ghost energy that coalesced into a creepy green thing?

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Is slimer actually the spirit of a single deceased human, or is he just some sort of weird amalgamation of ghost energy that coalesced into a creepy green thing?
Slimer is the amalgamation of Christian fear that life begins at potential for life with all the dead souls masturbated into the shower drain.

What?

Deleted member 60582

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Peter MacNicol carries the entire film on his shoulders, and he's almost as good as Renfield in Dracula: Dead and Loving It.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth
Not as good as the first one but it holds a special place in my heart ad one of the first movies I remember seeing in the theater. Little-kid-me also liked it more than GB1 at the time.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
I remember seeing Ghostbusters 2 in the theaters as a kid and loving it because it had a He-man shout out and an NES controller. Yeah, that was my justification for liking this movie as a 7 year old...

I also remember walking out of the movie and my parents shitting all over it as substandard to the first movie and geared towards children who had been watching The Real Ghostbusters cartoon. I didn't understand why that was a bad thing, but yeah it's kind of obvious on rewatch now.

The backstory on the Vigo actor is crazy if anyone wants a good read...

OP
OP
Sephzilla

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
As for your point 1. Consider this:

After defeating Gozer, Ghost activity just... ended. The Ghostbusters suddenly had nothing left to do and the public started considering ita publicity stunt. Bam, you get the Ghostbusters 2 status quo.
I really wish they would have just went with "post-Gozer New York wasn't as profitable" as the reasoning instead of this crazy "the city backstabbed the Ghostbusters and made everyone collectively forget" shit.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I really wish they would have just went with "post-Gozer New York wasn't as profitable" as the reasoning instead of this crazy "the city backstabbed the Ghostbusters and made everyone collectively forget" shit.

I think that's implied pretty damn harshly in the film with how no one believes in Ghost shit anymore. If anything, it's even more relevant today with everyone going around yelling "fake news", it's actually pretty damn plausible.

OP
OP
Sephzilla

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's implied pretty damn harshly in the film with how no one believes in Ghost shit anymore. If anything, it's even more relevant today with everyone going around yelling "fake news", it's actually pretty damn plausible.
I'm not sure how you can fake the events of first movie though.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I'm not sure how you can fake the events of first movie though.

Does it matter? We had a President telling the whole world they found WMDs in order to start a war. People will believe what's convenient when things suddenly stop happening.

And people were more than ready to embrace the GB anyway, after things started happening again.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I need to rewatch this one, as I've not seen it in years.
I remember liking it, but the only thing that I really remember is the general gist of the last part.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Ghostbusters 2 had a lot of great moments. Not as many as the first, but it was a damn funny film. Murray getting "pissed" trying to cover his ass for not being a real construction worker stands out.

Last edited:

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
It's definitely a subpar sequel, but it's fun enough and has some great moments.

The Ghostbusters game is the true sequel to the first movie

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I loved Ghostbusters 2, and think it's pretty underrated. I remember the hype leading up to its release as a kid, and because it had a little more in common with the animated series than the first movie, I, as a 9 year old at the time, loved it.

It's goofy and cheesy, but I still love it now. I thought Murray was hilarious, in that it's so clear he's checked out and doesn't want any part of the movie, but it oddly works for Venkman's character. The world of the psychic bit at the beginning still cracks me up, especially the little nod at the one psychic accurately predicting the end of the world as being on the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve. XD

Also, Peter MacNichol is a national treasure. Every time Janosz is on the screen I crack up. He's so good in that movie, and pretty much anything else I see him in.

Sure, it's not as adult as the first GB, but it's still fun, inoffensive entertainment. The courtroom scene is also pretty fantastic, and the subway scene scared the shit out of me as a kid. Viggo is also a really scary antagonist.

I have a soft spot in my heart for GB2, and can still rewatch it with zero irony about how entertaining it is. Legit laughs, good atmosphere, a story that doesn't take itself too seriously and is clearly having fun with the premise and characters. And Winston got a lot more to do compared to the first one (albeit still not much). Although even as a kid I was bummed he didn't get to help during the courtroom scene, but on the other hand, Winston wasn't stupid enough to take part in digging a gigantic hole in the middle of the street, so, it checks out.

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was just as good as the first. It loses something from being derivative with the same framework, but gains from having much better villains. Janosz and Vigo were superb, Scoleri brothers was the best scene in BOTH films imo

So Peter McNichol can say "A CHILD. A Child?"

OP
OP
Sephzilla

Sephzilla

Oct 25, 2017
And Winston got a lot more to do compared to the first one (albeit still not much).
I was actually going to make a comment about how Ghostbusters 2 tries to forget Winston exists almost as much as the first movie does. When Dana comes asking for help, Winston isn't there to help and is gone from the movie until the courtroom scene (where he cameos and promptly vanishes away, doesn't even bother helping the guys) and then doesn't show up again until the montage.

May 24, 2019
The soundtrack album is basically all I'd listen to for a couple of years as a kid. Looking back, it's pretty weird.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a great sequel that maybe panders to the Real Ghostbusters cartoon a little much but still manages to be a blast and ooze (literally) fun.

The Titanic scene with Cheech is gold.

giphy.gif

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The bit with ghost nanny grabbing baby Oscar fucked me up as a kid. Same with Viggo leaning out of the painting early in the movie. And the bathtub. And the hands grabbing at Ray, screaming as he dangles above the River of Slime.

Ghostbusters 2 is kinda freaky.

honavery

Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
9 year old me fucking loved this movie. Watched it so many times.
Objectively it's not as good as the first film, but personally I prefer the sequel. The painting was really scary to me as a kid.
It made sense to lean into the cartoon, since it was so popular. The cartoon was/is great as well.

Dary

Oct 27, 2017
The English Wilderness
Much like Gremilns 2, it's both hugely underrated and it wouldn't work nearly as well if it wasn't building on the original. Unlike Gremlins 2, I wouldn't say it was superior to the original, but it's close. Like, .5 close.

Also, let's not forget that the Real Ghostbusters was a legitimate highlight of 1980s TV animation.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Then the Ghostbusters ultimately coming back from the brink of bankruptcy to save New York again could be the symbol of hope that New York needs in the third act instead of a Statue of Liberty that's piloted by an NES controller.
So you complain about the statue of liberty being cheesy and offer an even more cheesy alternative in its stead? Well then.