• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
After my 4000-word essay on Fallout 4 from a few weeks ago, I got a bit nostalgic for the good times I had in Fallout: New Vegas. After reinstalling it and all the DLC, I started a new playthrough last night. I built myself a Speech/Lockpicking/Science character with a heavily INT-focused SPECIAL build and got started. Almost immediately everything started rushing back to me, from the layout of Goodsprings to the locations of the skill magazines and snow globes I would need to pick up. It was like coming home, especially compared to the aborted Skyrim replay I started and abandoned less than two hours in a week before.

I finished the immediate intro and then headed to the Prospector's Saloon, and when I got there I decided to do Sunny Smiles' tutorial missions to get the free Varmint Rifle, even though my Guns stat is so low I likely won't be able to do much damage with it for a while. After clearing out all the Geckos, I ran into Barton Thorn, an NPC I somehow managed to miss every single time I've played this game in the past. I went up the hill to kill some more Geckos for him, survived his ambush, and then started to walk back to town.

While walking through the streets of Goodsprings, the music sting played, and "QUEST FAILED: GHOST TOWN GUNFIGHT" swept across the screen. I was very confused, because not only had I not done anything to fail the quest, I hadn't even spoken to Trudy or Ringo to trigger it yet. I made it back to the Saloon, and immediately everything became clear. A Giant Radscorpion was sitting on the front porch, several dismembered corpses strewn around it, with Cobb from the Powder Gangers pointlessly firing shots at it. Its HP had barely gone down at all. With my pathetically low Guns stats and a fairly low-condition Varmint Rifle providing no benefits, it killed Cobb and then took me down in two hits too.

I don't know how that Radscorpion made it to Goodsprings less than half an hour into my playthrough, or why it decided to murder every living thing within range, but I laughed my ass off. I hadn't even saved my game yet, and my only autosave thus far was still after the scorpion had failed the questline for me, so my only recourse was to just start the whole game over. Luckily all I lost was about 20 minutes of my time.

I love this stupid, broken-ass game. Is anybody else replaying New Vegas right now? Share your glitch stories! I want to hear about all the ways it breaks for you too.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Tried booting it again a few months or so. Couldn't play it. It crashed every 2 minutes on W10. Was to lazy to google fixes.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Tried booting it again a few months or so. Couldn't play it. It crashed every 2 minutes on W10. Was to lazy to google fixes.

This is the fringe benefit of my PC being incapable of installing Windows 10. I've been stuck on 7 for years because Microsoft wouldn't let me install W10. Installation would get to 99% and just sit there. I once left it at 99% for 14 hours and it never rolled over to 100.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, I tried giving it a shot again last winter for about a week or two but ultimately gave up due to the mounting technical difficulties. Out of all the Bethesda engine titles this is by far the most unreliable.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I tried giving it a shot again last winter for about a week or two but ultimately gave up due to the mounting technical difficulties. Out of all the Bethesda engine titles this is by far the most unreliable.

I can imagine this will only get worse when we hit Windows 11, unless Microsoft and Bethesda give Obsidian permission to do a remaster that "fixes" the game to modern engine standards. Even then I don't know if that's possible. The Creation Engine is so unstable.

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Oh damn, I actually installed the game recently on PC. Is it really that unplayable on Windows 10?

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
I guess I'm "lucky" since I can't recall any major glitches during my playthroughs of it. But a few years ago I did a lightly modded playthrough and had a blast. Just love all the little variations that quests can have depending on how you spec out your character. Might give it another go one of these days.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I played New Vegas for a good 50-60 hours last year with minimal issues. I had an absolute blast. I discovered the unique gun the Rat Slayer on my playthrough. And it was a wonderful time had by everyone :)

The only issue with the game is that it's too easy to min max. The unforeseen consequences that The Witcher 3 introduces are so much more stark as an improvement on the formula after having relayed New Vegas.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I've replayed New Vegas so many times I think I've run myself out of play-through juice. At this point, I think I'm glad to let it rest until there's some kind of remaster in the future.

I don't have any memorable glitch stories, but the game definitely threw some at me every playthrough. It's crazy how good the game is in spite of all that.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Okay that radscorpion story just made my day. I don't know how many times I have played that game, PC version, and have never seen something that random. Most of my glitches, that I remember, are the lame stuff like an NPC or baddie spawning halfway stuck into the ground or the much less fun quests not triggering properly. Though the unofficial patches for the PC version has fixed much of that over the years.

Fuck now I want to load it up again and beat some of the DLC I still haven't touched yet.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I've replayed New Vegas so many times I think I've run myself out of play-through juice. At this point, I think I'm glad to let it rest until there's some kind of remaster in the future.

I don't have any memorable glitch stories, but the game definitely threw some at me every playthrough. It's crazy how good the game is in spite of all that.

Boone is literally a walking, talking glitch and the game is just like "yeah, whatever, it's cool".

Definitely does feel like the console version is more unstable compared to PC, but I imagine that's just because I installed stability mods on my Steam copy.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I know there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all for modding F:NV on PC, but Viva New Vegas is probably the closest thing as far as I know. It's more focused on making it a (more) stable and 'modern' experience (ie, quick loot menu), over a graphical overhaul.

Edit: Guess I'm just late, lol. MO2 has probably been the 'easiest' (still gotta be careful) time I've had modding F:NV. I like it way more than the old Nexus Mod Manager.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I know there's no such thing as a one-size-fits-all for modding F:NV on PC, but Viva New Vegas is probably the closest thing as far as I know. It's more focused on making it a (more) stable and 'modern' experience (ie, quick loot menu), over a graphical overhaul.

Edit: Guess I'm just late, lol. MO2 has probably been the 'easiest' (still gotta be careful) time I've had modding F:NV. I like it way more than the old Nexus Mod Manager.

Well, dang. Now I kind of want to play with this mod guide.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I love this stupid, broken-ass game. Is anybody else replaying New Vegas right now? Share your glitch stories! I want to hear about all the ways it breaks for you too...

deep into a replay of fallout 3, &, while i haven't had an equivalent sized glitch to yours (yet!), yeah, i also love these broken-ass games! which's likely why i also had a blast with cyberpunk 2077. because you literally never really do know what'll happen next!...

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
deep into a replay of fallout 3, &, while i haven't had an equivalent sized glitch to yours (yet!), yeah, i also love these broken-ass games! which's likely why i also had a blast with cyberpunk 2077. because you literally never really do know what'll happen next!...

I always say that as long as bugs are funny and easy to recover from, I don't mind them. It's the bugs that hit you after 35+ hours of gameplay and kill your playthrough that I can't forgive.

I had a gamebreaking bug in Darksiders 2 that made it so I couldn't progress the story anymore after reaching the halfway point, and that was HORRIBLE.

digreyfox

Nov 7, 2017
Had a similar experience with fallout 4 last week.
Decided to go back for a new play through, made it to the first "proper " mission, killed everyone deathcrawler included but the quest won't trigger the next stage no matter what I do. Guess I'll uninstall the game. On xsx so I don't think I can console fix it.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
That's pretty incredible lol. Definitely "I ain't even mad, this is amazing" vibe.

But, that's till the funniest/best glitch ever to me:

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I've played through New Vegas a ton of times it's still my favourite one but after Fallout 4 I've found it hard to go back to because the shooting mechanics feel so dated. Hopefully that FO4 New Vegas mod comes out eventually, I really liked what they've shown so far.

Kupo Kupopo

Jul 6, 2019
I always say that as long as bugs are funny and easy to recover from, I don't mind them. It's the bugs that hit you after 35+ hours of gameplay and kill your playthrough that I can't forgive.

I had a gamebreaking bug in Darksiders 2 that made it so I couldn't progress the story anymore after reaching the halfway point, and that was HORRIBLE.

gamebreaking bugs do indeed suck, but they can even happen in non-broken-ass games. the good news with games like the fallouts & cyberpunk is that they feature the ability to create multiple/backup saves. thankfully!...

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Easily in my top 5 of the last decade and one reason is because the funny bugs that can happen. I managed to find a super stable setup with mods last time, I should go back and finish. Especially since I can officially ditch the Frontier.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
I replay New Vegas every year. I don't always do a full playthrough, but I always end up putting a bunch of hours into it. Despite playing the game since launch, it never gets old to me.

No glitch stories sadly, but that radscorpion story is great, thanks for sharing!

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
On mobile right now but I think I still have that Fallout 3 + New Vegas mega mod (Tale of Two Wastelands) installed on my Windows 11 machine. I should check too see if that all still works.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
my dumbass locked myself in the utah DLC and just quit out of spite. I was pretty far in the game too...

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I've recently replayed vanilla New Vegas, and I found it hard to play. Goodsprings didn't feel like coming home for me; if anything, the reality didn't match my fond memories. I guess it depends on the person, but Skyrim's Riverwood perfectly retained that "coming home" feeling for me and aged better.
I ended up quickly abandoning my playthrough of NV. Maybe next time I'll use mods, though the game is glitchy enough without them.

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
I've recently replayed vanilla New Vegas, and I found it hard to play. Goodsprings didn't feel like coming home for me; if anything, the reality didn't match my fond memories. I guess it depends on the person, but Skyrim's Riverwood perfectly retained that "coming home" feeling for me and aged better.
I ended up quickly abandoning my playthrough of NV. Maybe next time I'll use mods, though the game is glitchy enough without them.

I'm having this feeling for Skyrim as well. I just can't do another hour of that game I think. I'm ready for a successor to either.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
I'm having this feeling for Skyrim as well. I just can't do another hour of that game I think. I'm ready for a successor to either.
Agreed. Both are a decade old and need a successor. But sadly, we won't get a successor to either for a long time yet. TES VI is 2025 at the earliest and Fallout New Vegas 2, if it's ever made, will probably happen in 2027-2030.

OP
OP
PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
oh i've been playing for three days and Big Iron is permanently lodged in my brain heeeeeeeeeeelp

Ironically I had the exact opposite experience. I reinstalled Skyrim last month and played it up until Whiterun and I remembered how much I hate early-game Skyrim and quit before even going to see the Graybeards.