• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I'm about to finish revisiting Season 1 of Daredevil, and I still cannot believe how amazing it is all these years later.

They've managed to use the Battle of New York as an opportunity for Wilson Fisk and his partners in crime to keep Hell's Kitchen being shit.
You won't find a better casting choice than Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock, and Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk. They both have incredible range, in addition to the writing making compelling comparisons between both characters, and how similar they actually are despite their actions.

Also, goddamn it. Nelson v. Murdock is the BEST episode until Season 3.

amphteamints

Aug 21, 2018
Unfortunately, Milwaukee
d'onofrio puts on the fucking acting chops of his career imo as kingpin

like, take a stupid 2d character and turn it into someone we kind of don't want to lose. his off-rhythm delivery also sells it

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
vincent as fisk + charlie cox as daredevil is *chefs kiss* šŸ¤ŒšŸ¼ such perfect casting

seriously hope the show gets some kind of revival :(

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017

4ee.png

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Daredevil is still the best thing marvel has ever done on TV and, I'd argue, with any of their properties in movies/TV.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 has too many magic ninjas to be the same kind of great TV as season 1.

Really loved S1 though, I don't think any other Marvel streaming or TV series has topped it.

Badcoo

May 9, 2018
Man I loved Daredevil. The Season 3 fights with Bullseye is still my favorite.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017

Really loved S1 though, I don't think any other Marvel streaming or TV series has topped it.

If you've not seen S3, PLEASE DO.

Because holy shit the tension/anxiety, the action, the direction of the story after Defenders was so well done.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The only consistently solid thing marvel has put on tv. Why did they never get it right again?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Vincent D'onforio as Kingpin is such an insanely good casting. Dude completely owned the role and it shows. He does justice to the character and is such a great overall villain.

But on the other hand, you have Foggy + Karen. I dont know if that tips the scale enough on the other side but Foggy is very bad.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
I swear if they bring back Charlie cox as daredevil please for the love of god do not bring back that dude who played foggy.

nutmeg

Apr 23, 2021
I saw S1 and yes, I really enjoyed D'Onofrio. The show was explicitly inspired by the Wire, which I also didn't mind.

I thought DD as a character was silly. He's blind, but so apt with his other senses that he can scan his environment anyway and even do martial arts... Then he's functionally not really blind. Wasn't there even a scene where he commented on a poster?

Wari Oman

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 2, 2021
S1 and S3 were fantastic. I could watch Fisk going from akward/shy to brutal psychopath (and every stage in between) all day.

Shame season 2 exists, but no show is perfect.

Dec 31, 2017
I wish they had cast a Greek actress for Elektra. Casting an Asian woman and then explaining she was adopted by Greek diplomats was borderline insulting.

There are so many wonderful Asian female superheroes in the Marvel, we only have Elektra.

Sep 15, 2020
DD was my gateway drug into Marvel TV. I fell off Agents of Shield and wasn't too eager to start a new show. Finally found some time for DD and they got me.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
It really loses steam in the second half but the first half was amazing and made me expect such incredible things from Netflix's Marvel. My disappointment in what we got was supreme. Even later seasons of Daredevil never really caught me like the first did.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
Season 3 is legitimately one of the best seasons of television I've seen. Season 1 and parts of Season 2 are pretty damn great in their own right.

And goddamn do Charlie Cox and Vincent D. commit to their characters with unexpected emotional fragility. Incredible performances from those two.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if S2 had cut the Elektra crap entirely and solely been about the Punisher and Fisk plotting in prison storylines.

The Punisher Arc was IMO perfect (and also the peak of what the Daredevil series offered). Adding another 6 or 7 episodes dedicated to filling it out would have been a terrible idea. I'll take the Elektra arc over filler for that any day.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
The Punisher Arc was IMO perfect (and also the peak of what the Daredevil series offered).

I used to think that until Season 3 came along. The theme of abandonment, the emotional conflict that Matt Murdock faces with killing Wilson Fisk, the parallels between Jack and Agent Nadeem (who is also one of the best written characters in the series. An ERA user did an amazing thread on him), and the anxiety and tension with Wilson Fisk looming over every single character. This is by far the only season of television where I was legitimately concerned that someone was a dead man/woman walking.

I could not stop watching back in 2018, and did another rewatch because of how fucking amazing it was.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to start Season 3 now.

I was watching all of them in chronological order and it took me so long to get through Iron Fist season 2, Jessica Jones season 3 and Punisher season 2. Now I can enjoy my dessert.

I really wish these seasons hadn't been so needlessly long.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
Now on season 2, and frankly, the first 4 episodes are stellar.

I remember Daredevil-Punisher stood out as a better hero/anti-hero conversation than what we had in BvS at the same time in 2016.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
S1: A Tier
S2 Ep1-4: SSS Tier
S2 Ep5-13: D Tier
S3: A+ Tier

Awesome show and I hope they bring Charlie/D'Onofrio back.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I made a thread a few weeks ago about the future of Daredevil in the MCU and that was right after I rewatched the S3 finale. I hope they bring the actors back.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
It's a high of Marvel TV/movie production overall, it's a shame it gets left on the cutting floor of continuity.

Myze

Apr 5, 2018
I made a thread a few weeks ago about the future of Daredevil in the MCU and that was right after I rewatched the S3 finale. I hope they bring the actors back.
I've thought about this, too. The actors are great, but their characters, as is in the show, don't really fit in the MCU.

They would have to be reimagined. DD and Kingpen are both a little weak and grounded to fit into the MCU. Kingpen certainly wouldn't be close to a physical threat to Spider-man, his most famous rival. DD is weaker than the weakest MCU hero (Hawkeye?, Widow?). DD's most famous fight in the show was the hallway scene in S1. Black Widow would have done all that without getting touched. She basically did several times in the movies against far better trained people. A DD closer to the comics would be great, but just being a good martial artist who is blind isn't enough, especially considering the latest character released is so far beyond him in that very field (Shang-Chi). Obviously power levels aren't everything, and certainly aren't needed for a good story, but they would still want to make them fit with the whole.

As for the shows (on topic). I loved all seasons. Second half of season 2 was definitely the weakest part, but I still enjoyed it.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Love that show (well, the first half of S2). And Punisher. Really hoping they have a future in the MCU. Jessica Jones wasn't bad, but I don't have the same desire to see more. Luke Cage was too silly and we don't talk about the other kid here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017

The ninja stuff was done awful and I love ninja stuff.
There was no reason not to introduce kirigi as a big bad ninja instead of bringing back some random no Name ninja from season 1 as well.
And their motivation made no sense either... Magic ninjas want to... Sell drugs...

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Foggy is great.

Karen is just an absolutely terrible person who you only learn is more terrible than you initially thought.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
I've thought about this, too. The actors are great, but their characters, as is in the show, don't really fit in the MCU.

They would have to be reimagined. DD and Kingpen are both a little weak and grounded to fit into the MCU. Kingpen certainly wouldn't be close to a physical threat to Spider-man, his most famous rival. DD is weaker than the weakest MCU hero (Hawkeye?, Widow?). DD's most famous fight in the show was the hallway scene in S1. Black Widow would have done all that without getting touched. She basically did several times in the movies against far better trained people. A DD closer to the comics would be great, but just being a good martial artist who is blind isn't enough, especially considering the latest character released is so far beyond him in that very field (Shang-Chi). Obviously power levels aren't everything, and certainly aren't needed for a good story, but they would still want to make them fit with the whole.

As for the shows (on topic). I loved all seasons. Second half of season 2 was definitely the weakest part, but I still enjoyed it.
well keep in mind that the show was meant to be in the MCU to begin with. But I kind of agree, in that thread I said that the series should be soft-rebooted when reintroduced to the MCU. It's tough to scale how strong Daredevil is compared to the Avengers but the tone of the series is also much darker than the films, Daredevil is in grittier situations than Hawkeye or Widow find themselves in so I don't think he former is any weaker than them. As for Kingpin, we kind of see him do things in Daredevil that a peak human might not even withstand, like getting tased and cracking concrete by punching it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say the only blemish on the series is The Hand stuff from S2, but then again S2 also brought up Punisher.
Season 3 is just so fucking good. The classic case of 3 >= 1 > 2

S1: A Tier
S2 Ep1-4: SSS Tier
S2 Ep5-13: D Tier
S3: A+ Tier

Awesome show and I hope they bring Charlie/D'Onofrio back.
I wouldn't go as low as D tier, but a significant drop