• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Back in 2017 I never beat Zelda BotW. I seiged Hyrule Castle straight off the plateau and failed at beating him. Then I went and cleared the Rito and Zora dungeons and just started the Gerudo missions. After that I got distracted with life and forgot about the game. With my time playing, however, I had the fondest memories. Never have I felt the freedom and sheer scale of a world like I did with BotW.

Recently I watched the Matthewmatosis video essay about BotW and decided to dive back into it. I cleared Gerudo and hiked around the northern snow mountains and fell in love with the game again. I think I finally understand why this game is so special to me.

It's not only the Zelda formula fully realized to its true potential, it's the first game in which I have felt like the open world was a real place that didn't have meaninglessly sculpted terrain. Every mountain range and valley has a name, has specific wildlife, and characters that refer to it and its purpose in Hyrule. Adding that character to the gameplay loop of being able to do any combination of exploration activities (hunt unique flora and fauna, complete unique side quests, find unique shrines, find unique items) is an addicting loop that reinforces exploration as the PRIMARY reward of the game, not just an interruption for going from A to B.

I guess the shitty 4 dungeons are a big let down for me, but having just reached the Goron dungeon, I realized that I don't mind as much as I should. The journey to Death Mountain was immense in scale and meaning. For the first time, getting to Death Mountain FELT as grandiose and triumphant as the NPCs described it to be in previous games. For the first time, Goron City and the springs and mines come together into a fully realized, appropriately scaled community. This is true of all the regions and racers.

What Nintendo did here with the towns, characters, and regions is so beyond my expectations that it completely distracts and forgives the generic dungeons. It's only amplified by the elemental considerations (heat, cold, rain, etc) that make each region feel truly real and alive. For the first time, Hyrule feels like a giant kingdom where people traverse for days to get from one town to the next. And the locational calibration you get from looking around and immediately noticing all the landmarks proportionally jutting out in the distance helps you feel a sense of place.

I guess I'm just so impressed with the content, the fact that almost every modern Hyrulean race is represented, that there is so much detail and care packed into the shape, size, and content of every region and carved terrain, that I don't really care as much that weapons break or that the dungeons are lame.

I do wish that there was a final, ultimate challenge that makes the master sword unbreakable. That would give a satisfying reward for mastering the combat system with the weapon durability system. It's a small imbalance that this doesn't exist, but I'm willing to forgive it for what the game does right: a perfectly tuned gameplay loop for exploration and an endlessly interesting world. Between having more weapons than I can carry on hand at any given time and the master sword regenerating after 10 min and having infinite bombs, the game certainly doesn't interrupt my focus with its durability system, anyway. Besides, the options you have with the realistic physics and runes to approach any combat situation is the most flexibility and depth we've seen in Zelda I'd say, even though TP had more individual sword moves and SS had the Wii motion +.

For me, this is exactly what the Zelda formula needed. Not only that, it may arguably be the best game of all time to me for what it has accomplished that is unlike any other game.

I still haven't even gotten to the DLC! I must be over 100 hours in now and not even seen everything I wanted. I only just now filled in the Sheikah map!

I guess I should acknowledge that the plot is less than what we would like having played Wind Waker and Skyward Sword, but I will say that the cutscenes, NPC dialogue, and memories you relive flesh out Hyrule to being the most alive and interactive it's ever been.

Overall I think this is the greatest modern single player video game we have. It is just a textbook on how to craft a game with exquisite attention to every surface the player covers. There are flaws, but I think the game is best at overcoming them with its strengths.

I'm amazed that going back to it has been this rewarding. The game constantly rewards me for playing it.

Looking back, what do you think about BotW?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Looking back, what do you think about BotW?
It's still a dry game to me. The identity of that game lies almost entirely in the big open world. It has a nice art style, but there's not enough character when it comes to who you meet, the places you go and the things you do. It was too big and ambitious for it's own good and could have done with a smaller scale world with more unique and interesting places to go.

The music tho. That shit is ace.

PatMan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Boring open world, but great graphics. Preferred the traditional zeldas games personally. Wind waker is still goat in terms of the open world

pahlke1

Oct 28, 2017
Brisbane
I've casually picked up and played it over the course of a few months. I'm finding it one of the easiest games to get back into.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
It's still a dry game to me. The identity of that game lies almost entirely in the big open world. It has a nice art style, but there's not enough character when it comes to who you meet, the places you go and the things you do. It was too big and ambitious for it's own good and could have done with a smaller scale world with more unique and interesting places to go.

The music tho. That shit is ace.

The only Zelda game I'd argue has more character with places and people is Majora's Mask. Otherwise I can't agree. Each townsperson in BotW had their own schedule and interests, almost every character had multiple unique lines of dialogue, side quests that involved unique items and characters and regions, and every region had a history or purpose people referred to, if not its own korok seed puzzles, enemy encampments, unique mining and secret areas, unique ingredients and animals, and traveling townspeople going from region to region. With so many characters, it's hard to remember them all unlike MM where it's easy to distinctly grow fond and remember a few characters over the 3 days you play. Come to think of it Skyward Sword also had extremely memorable main characters. I guess Botw is a little generic compared to that. But there's just so much more modernization and meat here, and the Champions are great.

I've casually picked up and played it over the course of a few months. I'm finding it one of the easiest games to get back into.

The game does a great job of organizing what you were doing and what you have left to do. That combined with the marker/waypoint system and rewarding open exploration makes it one of the easiest open world games to enjoy in small exposures over time

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Yep I just came back to it too. Amazing game and still the very best in open worlds. Ive been playing it stoned lately.

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I liked it when I played it and beat most of the DLC (can't beat the master dungeon tho - I know I'm a scrub, thanks) and lately I've been thinking about replaying it but... I don't know if I actually want to or if just preserving the memory of the first time in my head is better.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
if it had good dungeons and a stable framerate it would be the GOAT. And to me, its less memorable than Ocarina, Majora or ALTTP.

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
I feel the magic flowing through my soul everytime I load up the world. Already completed all the stuff so there's not much to it other than that. Master mode ain't for me either

JohnDusk

Oct 24, 2018
Magical game. Before it I never thought it possible that I could invest more than 100 hours in a game. More than 20 and I pretty much always have lost interest. And then BOTW came into my life.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As big of a back log I'm trying to get through, damn if I don't want to replay it right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
It's still my least favorite Zelda game ever and not something I can play more than a few hours of without getting bored. I wanted to love it, I really did, but after trying I don't know 8 or so times I have come to the real conclusion the game just isn't for me.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
It's kind of silly to say that a game that's not even two years old has "aged like fine wine" :D. BotW is my favorite game ever but let's give it a decade or two before making these statements.

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
But you never finished it. I thought you were going to praise its replay value. Finding new things was the exciting part of the game

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Incredible game. After I revisit it and start completeling more of the content in my main save I might give the DLC a shot or just fire up a new game.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Every time I go back to it, I just feel like the inventory system bogs down the game.

I don't want to deal with switching/breaking weapons. I don't want to deal with cooking.

En-ou

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing will come close until another Zelda. Same thing like with OoT. I do believe FromSoftware or team Ico have the potential to create something that rivals it though. Boy would I love to see a Zelda game made by the above three.

Nickerous

Nov 2, 2017
Not ready to say it's my favorite game of all time....but it's top 3 right now. I haven't stopped playing since launch day

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I started replaying it recently and feel pretty similar to how I did at launch. I consistently have a very good time, but the highs never get close to my favorite gaming experiences, Zelda or otherwise.

I eagerly await what Nintendo does with the next one, using the lessons they've learned since BotW.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Still an amazing game, loved the first 20-30 hours in particular.

I think people say it's a dry game because especially at launch they all went for the 120 shrines but much like Odyssey's moons the game is not designed for completionists first and foremost, contents are there if you want to but you don't have to complete everything.

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
It makes me feel like a crazy person. I think the game is good but that's about it. While the world was pretty I found the game to be boring. The lack of story or dungeons and instead it was full of finding seeds and doing repetitive shrines which killed any motivation for exploration. The combat was neat but the weapon durability completely ruined it for me, spent most of the time avoiding combat.

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
You may have inspired me to dive back in. I stopped right after unlocking the motor cycle in my Master Mode play through. I still need to do the Trial of the Sword, though I don't know if I'm good enough to do it on Master Mode.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Aged like milk to me. Tried loading it up when the DLC came out and after about 10 minutes just quietly turned it off and never even considered turning it on again. I played a solid 50-60 hours of it around launch, but I can't see myself ever playing it again. Mid-range Zelda game at best, absolutely nothing new in it if you've been keeping up with open world titles over the last decade.

Evil Lucario

Feb 16, 2019
This is a game that with each successive playthrough, I grow more and more appreciation for this game.

Beat it once on Wii U, beat it again on Switch, then again on Master Mode. Each playthrough I discovered way more things in the game and to this day remains as my favorite open world game due to how approachable yet deep it is.

And proves that Monolith Soft can once again deliver a huge world filled with secrets and sights to behold. The GOAT developer as far as I'm concerned.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I prefer the traditional Zelda entries. BOTW didn't know what it wanted to be. It wasn't a real Zelda and it wasn't a great open world game either. Compared to other AAA games that try to be sandboxy it did okay, I have to admit, but if you look at some roguelikes and really interactive open worlds... it was nothing. The combat was dull and for exploration you were rewarded with some copy-paste shrines or a god damn Korok seed. "Hey, see that mountain over there? You can go there and climb it." ... but you probably have to do some 10 minutes of random shit because it starts to rain and you are just on the ledge beneath the summit. It's not like the character had fire bombs and arrows, which could have been incorporated in the game design to deal with wet surfaces instead of just ignite some grass patches like Far Cry did it a decade ago. Yawn. Characters and story? I don't remember any. And it's to static to do another playthrough. There is no replay value. But you can drop a fish on the ground at it gets cooked... holy shit, right. Right?

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I'm actually replaying it right now myself. It's still pretty amazing. I think it just needs to incorporate more elements and vibes from Majora's Mask. If the sequel manages to add some of that in then we'll have something absolutely magical.

Oct 27, 2017
Only thing they need to get rid of is slipping during rain. or make a suit that does it. Annoying as shit having to wait for it to end to go somewhere you need to be but can't because it started raining.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the traditional Zelda entries. BOTW didn't know what it wanted to be. It wasn't a real Zelda and it wasn't a great open world game either. Compared to other AAA games that try to be sandboxy it did okay, I have to admit, but if you look at some roguelikes and really interactive open worlds... it was nothing.

How so?

The combat was dull and for exploration you were rewarded with some copy-paste shrines or a god damn Korok seed.
Both of which are exceedingly valuable since they upgrade your health/stamina and inventory.

"Hey, see that mountain over there? You can go there and climb it." ... but you probably have to do some 10 minutes of random shit because it starts to rain and you are just on the ledge beneath the summit.

I always felt anecdotes like this are a little hyperbolic. In my last 30 hours, I've encountered two situations where a rainstorm stopped my climbing. In one I used Revali's Gale to overcome the situation easily, in the other I shrine warped.

It's not like the character had fire bombs and arrows, which could have been incorporated in the game design to deal with wet surfaces instead of just ignite some grass patches like Far Cry did it a decade ago.

Fair enough, but BotW uses environmental physics and tricks in ways Far Cry and others doesn't. It's quite involved. Like using octoballoons to lift things and stasis to mess with kinetic energy. So I don't feel the need to criticize one less way to physically interact with the environment when the game does it in dozens of other ways already.

Yawn. Characters and story? I don't remember any.

Admittedly, most of the story is optional and through text dialogue. I think they decided to lean more on the side of not forcing players to interact with its interesting characters as much as a linear Zelda does. But the interesting characters still exist, like the Champions, and Papaya. Arguably, there are forgettable NPCs with more dialogue options, personality, and ways to interact than "memorable" characters in the series past, which just supports my thoughts that the main thing that influences what people are remembering here is that the game doesn't force you to interact with its interesting stories and characters any more than you make yourself. We definitely don't have as much cinematic action and drama as we did with Ghirahim, though.

And it's to static to do another playthrough. There is no replay value. But you can drop a fish on the ground at it gets cooked... holy shit, right. Right?

Idk, arguably no game really has original replay value once you've done everything there is to do, unless it involves random permutations/generations of events like a Rockstar game. This game takes a LONG time to do everything there is to do. There is something unique about restarting the game and trying to beat it a different way than you originally did, like 3 heart runs, or straight off the plateau. I really value that.

It's a pretty young wine, to be honest.

Well in some sense, I feel like open world games are prone to backlash and ageing relatively quickly. I mean RDR2 had immense backlash as soon as people got past the prologue (me included). I'm surprised how vastly interesting of a concept and execution BotW remains to me even 2 years later.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting how some people use the so called "Belda" argument against BOTW, stating that it wouldn't be remarkable if it didn't have the word "Zelda" on the title, because this thread illustrates how most criticisms of BOTW involve direct comparisons to other Zelda games (ie. it's a good game, but not a good ZELDA game, etc.).

Imo, BOTW is a fantastic and immersive game when judged on its own merits, but has several shortcomings when being compared to other games in the Zelda series.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
It's one of my favorite games of all time, but I still hope we get more Ocarina of Time/Twilight Princess-styled 3D Zelda games in the future.

Breath of the Wild is just fun to explore. With most open world games, I feel like I'm going to objective markers. I have no real reason to go off the beaten path. With BOTW I wanted to explore. I wanted to see every corner. I wanted to see what enemies, people, towns, treasure, shrines, loot, etc., that I could find.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I found the opposite. I kept trying to come back to the game and it just didn't do it for me. The survival elements combined with the weapon breaking combined with a user interface that is just terrible, it spoils the magical moments (and there are those, absolutely!). And the lack of narrative drive, lack of characters, average combat, and all that, I got to the point where I was just done with Breath of the Wild.

Every time I go back to it, I just feel like the inventory system bogs down the game.

I don't want to deal with switching/breaking weapons. I don't want to deal with cooking.

The interface compounds the weapon and item system issues. It's really awkward. I wonder how Nintendo never picked up on the fact that this part of the game was not fun?

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fine wine? Dude the game's 2 years old, not 20. It takes way more than a couple of years for a game to show its age.

I'm not saying BotW won't age gracefully, but don't treat this game as if it's super old archeologists are digging it up.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boring open world, but great graphics. Preferred the traditional zeldas games personally. Wind waker is still goat in terms of the open world
There is such a thing as wrong opinions.

Pray tell, when you say this do you mean the sailing open world of the original WW is better than BotW's or only the WiiU's overhauled sailing is better?

I mean both answers are still clearly wrong but one is less wrong than the other because no one had fun sailing super slowly and having to play a song with a baton everytime you needed to change your boat's direction for more than 90 degrees.

saltybeagle

Banned
Jan 20, 2018
The only Zelda game I'd argue has more character with places and people is Majora's Mask. Otherwise I can't agree. Each townsperson in BotW had their own schedule and interests, almost every character had multiple unique lines of dialogue, side quests that involved unique items and characters and regions, and every region had a history or purpose people referred to...

Yeah, I can't say that I remember a single fact about a townsperson or region.

Kahoots

Feb 15, 2018
I've not played it but I wish the difficulty DLC was available from the beginning so I could have. The first 10-20 hours until player progress trivialised the difficulty was a real highlight in gaming.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I realize the weapons breaking are unavoidable but cooking is 100% optional what are you even complaining about here? You can go through the whole game without cooking.

shuno

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Maybe I was just unlucky. There were a lot of moments were the rain kept me from doing what I wanted to do. And yeah, you get health upgrades, but let's be honest... this is so boring. Like finding experience points in a hidden chest in a "regular" RPG. Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed my time with BOTW... but I don't see the greatness some posters and reviewers talk about. On the one side you have great action adventures, mostly topped by traditional Zeldas and on the other site you have games that aim for a living, interactive and dynamic world. BOTW can't climb either of those ladders. It's a bastard somewhere inbetween... doing many things but none of them particularly great.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, every six months give or take I'll go back to it and somehow lose another 20-40 hours. It's a sublime experience to me that is still revealing new things in its world.

abrack

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I've never felt a stronger disconnect with a poster (as far as video game discussions go) than when I see someone trashing on BotW. It's so damn good. Not to say anyone who doesn't like it is wrong or dumb or anything like that, I just... can't really wrap my head around thinking it's boring or the world sucks or anything like that. The game is pure magic to me.

OP
OP
Nothing Loud

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I can't say that I remember a single fact about a townsperson or region.

Maybe because it's so much and so optional while at the same time being very light on cutscene? There are a shit ton of towns and characters. Maybe for some people that's to its detriment. Other Zelda games had very few characters and regions in comparison.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Currently helping my senior citizen mother finish this game (she already has 180 hours haha), and, yes, I completely agree. The gameplay is so smooth, the world is fun and interactive, the puzzles are great, phenomenal sounds/music, and most of all the game is very fun and easy to play.

Definitely an easy GOAT contender.