• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Background

In 2013 games media gained a particularly unique, creative, and kinda strange new voice: a guy named Kyle Bosman. Rising to fame at the website GameTrailers for his show The Final Bosman, Kyle's work became well known for how distinct, weird, and unexpectedly endearing his take on the world of video games was. His show developed its own universe of personas, characters, lore, and running gags. For me I was drawn in by the mix of theatricality and earnest enthusiasm the Final Bosman had for video games. The show could go absolutely off the rails, but it had a lot of heart.

Skipping to 2018 GameTrailers had become defunt, and with it, The Final Bosman show. Much of the remaining GameTrailers staff including Bosman had started the new game coverage team the Easy Allies, but Kyle hadn't done anything akin to the outlandish and endearing sort of show that The Final Bosman had been. But in 2018 came a project from him that had nothing to do in the slightest with video games. Instead it was a fully original "animated" series following in the style of old shonen shows like Pokemon or Yugioh. About a kid trying to be the best at a game...

enter Box Peek

Overview

Box Peek has a visual style and presentation that even to this day remains all its own: the show uses all physical art for its characters and environments. Everyone is hand-drawn, puppeted in real time, using quick cuts to suddenly change expressions or poses. It gives the show a bit of the aesthetic that it popped out of some notebook doodles, all come to life.

The central conceit it that, like shows such as Pokemon or Yugioh, nearly the entire world is obsessed with a single game. It defines the culture, the people, and the dreams of almost everyone. The game is called Box Peek, and it boils down to basically two people in boxes, where you're either trying to peek at your opponent's box for several seconds, or catch your opponent peeking at your to win. From this simple base comes strategies of using specialized box-mods to lure, frighten, or even trap you opponent in their box.

In this context enter the show's main character, Jordy Defective (pronounced defectiv-ay), a kid who lives in Fairboat Island, the one place where Box Peek is outlawed, who has run away from home to try his hand at the #1 game in the world. Over the course of 10 episodes, each about 10 minutes long, the series charts Jordy's rise through the ranks to try to be the Box Peek world champion.

While the story begins as a straightforward and endearing anime-style adventure, in its second half it begins to unfurl into something more complex, unexpected, and utterly wild.

I won't go any further than that just yet in case you want to take a dive and watch the series for yourself without extra spoilers, it's not a long endeavor either, only about 100 minutes of content total:

So, now that I've given the show a bit of an introduction, I have to say, I really enjoyed it when it first came out. Kyle released the first five episodes in 2018 and then there was about a year break between those first five and what become Season 2, which is the second five episodes of the series. I had really enjoyed Kyle's earlier stuff like The Final Bosman and Box Peek was a real treat that showcased a lot of the quirky humor, heartwarming writing, and sheer bizarre creativity I'd liked about his earlier stuff, all with a really fun visual hook. It was a lot of fun and when it finished up in late 2019 I was super happy to have gone along the journey with a lot of other Easy Allies fans that had enjoyed it. I had a lot going on in my life at the time though and honestly after watching the finale it drifted from my mind pretty quickly.

Only recently have I come to rediscover the show, through some random recommendations on youtube. And the fact that it's such a quick watch made me give it another go. And this time I watched through Kyle's Q&As about the different episodes and thought more about the themes it's going for. It also reminded me that the show has a criminally low amount of views on youtube. Part of my interest in writing a lot of this up is just to hopefully introduce it to more people. It's a really great show, and knowing it took years to put together I'm kinda sad that the viewership of it is lower than I think it has warranted.

The fact of the matter is that Box Peek is utterly buck wild and kinda genius. And I wanna dive a bit into it.

Shonen, But Make it Hurt

Watch out, beyond this point are tons of spoilers, so be ready for them or please watch the show beforehand!

Initially the show is a fun and quirky but pretty straightforward adventure/battle show, with Jordy and his friends meeting new people and Jordy slowly getting better and better at Box Peek. There's some strange stuff like in The Final Bosman but mostly it goes the way you'd expect that kinda anime to go: Jordy's a prodigy at Box Peek and he basically can't stop winning, and his friends CD and Kazomi are nice but exist mostly to cheer him on and make random jokes in the intro. It's good easy fun.

NgIqFc3.png

Jordy goes up against some kooky and interesting opponents with crazy gadgets and box-mods, and yet he's able to out-wit them in clever ways. It's the exact kinda thing you'd expect from Yugi beating someone in a duel. It's simple but entertaining, and you get a nice sense of adventure as the trio of friends continues their travels. There's a bit of a subplot bubbling though as the first season carries on however. Like any good anime storyline, Jordy beats an overconfident and skilled Box Peek-er named Victor in the first episode as any cool prodigy protagonist would. But instead of Victor simply going off screen we keep on following his story. His defeat by Jordy begins a spiral of constant losses for Victory. It destroys his family life and eventually he loses his box and faces exile to a prison island, all stemming from that very first loss in episode one.

By the end of season one Jordy also meets Bronze Fang: a secret operative for the group that runs Box Peek who reveals that Jordy's box doesn't actually belong to him but in fact was meant to be destroyed because it doesn't work right. But Bronze Fang has come to respect Jordy too much after seeing him play, and promises to keeps Jordy's stolen box a secret. And with that we look towards Season 2, where Jordy's rise to glory along with his two best friends will surely continue!

Until season 2 arrives and everything changes.

In contrast to season one, where each episode focuses on a different Box Peek match Jordy has, none of Season 2's episodes outside of the finale actually have a single Box-Peek match in them aside from the finale. Instead, the show shifts perspective much more to the characters *around* Jordy's rise to fame, and the impact, both good and truly terrible, that Jordy's presence has on their fate.

Hilariously each episode is still named for the Box-Peek match we probably *should* have seen if this show were like a usual kids anime.

First in episode six we focus on Peek Ref 12, one of the hundreds of Peek Refs who are robots that referee Box Peek matches. While usually emotionless and calculating, we see in episode six that Peek Ref 12 - who is the Peek Ref who has handled all of Jordy's matches- is so inspired by his love of Box Peek that they are gaining sentience and emotion. After being captured by scrappers attempting to disassemble them, Peek Ref 12 escapes, while realizing they are becoming something more than their programming.

Then comes episode seven, my personal favorite, where the most insane revelation yet happens. Kazomi, Jordy's quiet but supportive friend, takes center stage when she has to miss one of Jordy's matches. And we realize that she originates from an alternate dimension. In her actual world Kazomi is one of five Power-Ranger-esque teenagers who have to command a giant robot to face ever-more dire monstrosities attacking her city. In becoming one of these warriors she gained a special power to hop dimensions and has been using it to escape the dismal reality of her home and instead have fun in Jordy's world and actually enjoy something for once. In episode seven she returns to help her comrades only to be berated by one for constantly going missing. In the end he tells Kazomi that she has to choose what she actually loves, and fight for it. And during a climactic battle when she's needed by her allies to form the robot that will save the city we finally realize Kazomi's choice: she chooses to leave her home forever, to be happy but in the process leaving her original friends to be destroyed without the critical part of the robot that Kazomi provides.

We end this episode watching one of her old friends literally burn to death shouting her name with no response.

tEc9lmq.png

Suddenly Jordy's journey has so many more stakes. His impact on those around him is literally giving some of them like Peek Ref 12 a reason to live and think for themselves. Jordy and his abilities at Box Peek bring Kazomi enough happiness that she chooses his friendship over the lives of her older friends and comrades. Victor arrives at his prison island and aspires to organize it into an open rebellion against the powers that be, all because Jordy beat him and sent him into an awful spiral. This kids paper-puppet battle show suddenly has become something a hell of a lot darker.

And it's not about to stop.

In episode eight we learn that Jordy's other friend CD, has been playing him from the very beginning. CD is the son of the woman who leads the Box Peek Organization, and his friendship with Jordy is a ploy so that Jordy's rise to greatness will enable CD's mother to push for Box Peek legalization in his homeland of Fairboat Island. Remember Bronze Fang, the operative for the Box Peek Organization who has been trying to protect Jordy for using a stolen box? Well he is discovered and to cover his tracks he has to strangle to death his fellow agent who has come looking for him and for Jordy's box.

AZ41Zl5.png

We begin to reach a logical conclusion of a society who's hopes, dreams, passions, and hatreds center entirely on children winning at a weird made-up game. It's all of the hyper-focus on a random game that Yugioh or Pokemon has, but suddenly with the stakes and terrible costs of the real world.

In Episode nine Peek Ref 12 is discovered to have become sentient. Seconds from being decommissioned they think over all the dreams and goals they had, and ponders an escape route. All their potential plans fall away as they realizes every avenue is hopeless. We learn that the entire world is being controlled by a group known as the "Observers" who will find Peek Ref 12 wherever they attempt to hide. They consider whether he could unite all the Peek Refs together, to unite them in rebellion. They dream happily of a day where they may one day play Jordy in a game of Box Peek.

In the end they realize there is no way out. And they self destruct, but not before sending a single final message, right before Jordy is set to face the world champion of Box Peek at last.

"Good Luck Jordy"

Then we have the finale.

AeXyuyI.png

Jordy faces Takia Chill, the Box Peek world champion, who we learn is champion because she can read a person's intent. And in a climactic final match Jordy bests here all the same! But soon we learn why... Jordy has no intent. In fact, by the time the match has even started, Jordy has simply lost interest in Box Peek, as twelve-year-olds sometimes do. As the host announces that Fairboat Island will allow Box Peek again and asks Jordy to return for the world tournament next year Jordy simply says -in an embarrassed voice- that he doesn't like Box Peek anymore. And then he leaves.

CD and Kazomi are stunned. Bronze Fang is finally found and pulled into oblivion by the Observers. Victor steals the airwaves to announce his open rebellion but almost instantly the signal is cut, as even his spiral into a grand rebel leader ends in a whimper.

CD and Kazomi see each other for one last time and Kazomi reflects sadly on the fact that the worst thing about loving something, or caring about someone, is that they can hurt you so badly if they choose to turn their back on you while you still care about them. The two of them agree that Box Peek simply isn't fun any more. And Kazomi disappears from the Box Peek dimension for good.

In a post-credits to the series we come to realize Box Peek is just one in a long series of distraction systems meant to pacify the populace. And now that Jordy has killed interest in it, they will simply create another.

What Now?

Returning to the show I've enjoyed it a lot again, but I've also had time to do what I didn't the first time around: think about it.

Box Peek is sort of designed as a show meant to crush your dreams as you watch it. And it does. In the Q&A for the last episode Kyle mentioned that his initial thinking for the series was just the thought experiment of if an anime protagonist who was the prodigy hero who got great at the game everyone loved just suddenly said it was dumb at the peak of his ability. It would crush most of the motivation characters through the whole show had built up. And that's exactly what happens in Box Peek. But when it's all over, and the audience is left feeling as empty as a bunch of the characters, there's sort of a question still lingering: why?

Why does this show end on one of the most truly nihilistic, downer notes I think I've ever seen in media? In part I think it's just sort of a thought experiment: it's a look at how much everything kinda crumbles if we let the facade fall away from the stuff we love. If you put everything into your hero, your favorite game, your fandom. If you pour all you heart and sacrifice into something, and if it crumbles you're gonna be left with nothing. So be careful the arbitrary things we pin our lives on. The dumb little things we decide to base our hopes and dreams upon. The other end of the love we put into those things is how much they can crush us when it becomes clear that they didn't really matter that much anyway.

But I don't fully believe that.

I don't know if Box Peek has a single driving message honestly. But I do get one thing that makes me think it's more than just "don't like dumb shallow things" because I think the show is *about* the value of loving dumb things sometimes. Yes, Peek Ref 12 died because of Box Peek and Jordy, but the only reason that they ever really felt happiness at all was learning to love the dumb little box game and the way this one kid played it. Yes, CD befriended Jordy initially to use him as a pawn for the Box Peek Organization. But in the final scene CD shows that he actually *truly* liked Jordy, and would miss him a lot. Even at the end, when the Observers are speaking to the AI/God called The Law that runs the world about getting rid of Box Peek to make way for a new method of pacifying the masses, The Law actually asks them to save some boxes, because even the actual god of this world likes this dumb little game.

Yes, a dumb little game may crush your dreams if you believe in it too much. But isn't believing in dumb little games sometimes the way we find a bit of adventure, happiness, and those wonderful little moments with friends? Even if they don't last forever. Even if it all fades eventually.

Kazomi almost never talks and basically never smiles in the whole series. But in episode seven, the most brutal and crazy of all the episodes, Giko, one of the other Magna Soldiers (Power Rangers) asks he why she keeps travelling to other dimensions. And for the first time in the series she smiles. Even though all her friends from her own dimension will soon die, and even her new friends will soon break apart, for a second, as she thinks about just playing Box Peek with Jordy, she smiles.

NdjkTrI.png

thanks for coming to my TED Talk about this weird deconstructionist puppet anime youtube series. Don't know why I wrote all this out but I hope it gets a few more people to check out what I think is a really fun and unique series! Cheers!

Last edited:

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
My reaction to the ending:
t3qkhrohrh321.jpg

Being a huge fan of Final Bosman I should have seen that ending coming from a mile away, the man just has a unique sense of humor.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
This series was a pleasant surprise. I love how effectively succinct it is. Tells exactly the story it needs to then stops.

Also, the art and craftsmanship is really impressive despite having a childish aesthetic.

Oh, and the theme song is amazing.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I'm such a fan of Kyle's. Box Peek was so good and surprising, this is how you subvert expectations.

Think I'm going to rewatch this.

Liyfda

Oct 27, 2017
Box Peek is truly a spectacular show, it was such a joy to watch! If you enjoy Bosman's style of story telling, don't forget to check out the Gameboy game he made too! Don't Call Me Mama, but Yes I Am Your Mama. It's like a 10 - 30 minute game.

Don't Call Me Mama But Yes I Am Your Mama is the ugly adventure of a Genomster engineer doing her best to create a strong creature for cool battles before her power gets shut off in five days.

coolasj19

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, Texas
I think everyone within a certain age range is just destined to like this show. It evokes and twists so many nostalgic tropes and then uses those expectations against you. In that way, it's perfectly paced. Everyone I've shown it grew grew to love the game of Box Peek first, the characters next, but then when the Box Peek falls away, they're already enraptured with the faint tittle tendrils of lore and character. My favorite part is the ending sometimes, I think. Yes, it's nihilistic and kinda sad but it's also wraps itself the whole way around and it's a little chewing to do by the end. To me, it's more melancholy than anything.

I love how it dares you to like it by the end. "Yeah, this whole thing was stupid. How does that make you feel?." And it makes me feel like I got played in the absolute best way possible. I laugh at the show, I laugh at myself, and I laugh at the friend I just showed who got their Season 2 expectations absolutely shorted. And then usually, they wanna show someone else and live it all over again. It's really fairly addictive and it's so genuine like it's just happy to exist at all.

I really really really love Box Peek. And I really hope it doesn't stay a cult classic forever. It's just gotta go viral within enough friend circles and get to the right places and it'll have it's moment. Yet, I firmly believe, that with enough comments, likes, and playlist adds, it'll eventually be blessed by the YouTube algorithm and one day I'll wake up and it'll have 15,000,000 views.

Also the credits music is always spot on.

False Witness

Oct 25, 2017
I just love how he explores the parts of the world that would normally just be skipped over. Huge fan of Victor as well.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
More people should watch this. Also I'm sad that we'll never get more, but I sympathize with Kyle and the workload.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
"At lunch yesterday, I kissed Simon"
"Cortney, Simon's a 10!"
"I know!"
"I'm so proud of my babies..."

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This show was bloody amazing and I loved the sheer ridiculousness of it all.

I miss Bosman :(

Frobert

Oct 28, 2017
Excellent and thoughtful write up OP.

I was a big fan of The Final Bosman back when it was still around, and was a little disappointed Kyle never produced a successor show for Easy Allies. Despite the lack of video game commentary, I think Box Peek ended up being that successor show, and really captures what I had missed about The Final Bosman. It has all the same quirkiness, weird lore, and sense of humor (and the bonus bits!)

I'd implore anyone to give it a watch. It really is something unique and special.

And Episode 7 is the best.

Nakenorm

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Amazing show. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I read this thread, gonna do a rewatch this weekend.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still waiting on the Japanese Dub so that can be translated into English so I can read subtitles when I watch.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
i mean, he streams 3 days a week still
Not everyone is into streaming.

I much prefer podcasts or edited videos and since Kyle has left it has made me drop off both groups. EA just feels different and doesn't engage me anymore and as I mentioned, streams just aren't my thing.

Unless it's Bosman Vs Wozniak, those were great.

May 30, 2018
Not everyone is into streaming.

I much prefer podcasts or edited videos and since Kyle has left it has made me drop off both groups. EA just feels different and doesn't engage me anymore and as I mentioned, streams just aren't my thing.

Unless it's Bosman Vs Wozniak, those were great.
that's fair. probably worth subbing to his youtube channel, he sometimes pulls out chunks that aren't just streaming but more discussion/deep dive-y on a topic

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
Box Peek is fine and I get why people want it to be successful, but releasing 5 episodes with 8-10 minutes each and taking a year to release another 5 episodes with similar length killed any chance for this being successful. It's not surprising that the viewership drop is so big going from Season 1 to Season 2.

i mean, he streams 3 days a week still
I assume people mean editorialized content because that's what I miss. He even stopped clipping out his rants from his streams to upload them separately. I guess you're still technically correct by pointing people to his streams but I'm not going to watch a 5-9 hour long video of a stranger sitting in a chair and being goofy while playing ancient or niche video games. And that's not a slight against Kyle because he should do what makes him happy and I know he loooves interacting with Chad, so good for him. He should definitely keep doing that. But when people say "I miss Kyle" they usually don't mean his streams. Kyle has a lot of thoughts on the industry and those are always fun to listen to and I wish he'd put them out in an accessible format. Heck, I'm still looking for something to replace the EZA Podcast with and there's nothing similar out there (news focused with good commentary).

OP
OP
MDSVeritas

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
"At lunch yesterday, I kissed Simon"
"Cortney, Simon's a 10!"
"I know!"
"I'm so proud of my babies..."
Yeah this scene is a great example of a sort of humor I think Bosman's work has nailed that almost no other media seems to quite do in the same way. It's a weird, over-earnest, but completely played-straight sort of thing that just ends up working so well.