• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SeanBoocock

Senior Engineer @ Epic Games
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Austin, Texas
That has to be one of the most emotionally intense moments I've ever experienced in a TV series.

Yeah that beat was the biggest gut punch and tearjerker in an episode full of them, at least for me.

BSG is my easily my favorite sci-fi series and competes with Lost (maybe Rome as well) for all time favorite regardless of genre. My favorite science fiction understands that the character drama is the important bit. In those stories the sci-fi setting exists as scaffolding to push characters in unique ways and explore aspects of the human condition that would be impossible otherwise.

Oct 26, 2017
It really could have used a story bible from day one that they stuck to.

"Lets make Chief is a Cylon. Crap he had a kid with Cally. We can't have two Human/Cylon hybrids. We'll have to make it so Cally cheated on him with *draws name from a hat* Hot dog? Meh whatever".

I also wish Gaius' nudging from god had a more clear impact getting them to the final destination. Like that one episode where Gaius was told to give the poor people food and his cult got mad at him. He said they would be rewarded. Somehow, giving the poor people food caused his cult to get a bunch of guns and they were like "wow, you were right. We were rewarded". How did the poor people getting fed and/or his cult having guns help get them to their destination?

I took it to be a test for Gaius personally - here you have everything your old self ever wanted - beautiful women hanging on your every word, respect and admiration, the safety and security of being surrounded by armed people who will die for you, being revered, having political and military power... or walk away from all of that and risk your life to save a child.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
The only thing I would change about the end is cut the epilogue. Just end it with that scene of Adama looking out over the plains.

That has to be one of the most emotionally intense moments I've ever experienced in a TV series.

It certainly softened me on Baltar a bit, but for the last episode, the gut punch was that goodbye scene with Adama, Lee and Kara.

Then again with Adama and Roslyn.

Oct 25, 2017
BSG was a great show and had a beautiful soundtrack. While the ending didn't sour me on the entire series, I haven't watched it since it aired.

I also watched DS9 after this and it was fun noticing all the similarities.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
BSG was a great show and had a beautiful soundtrack. While the ending didn't sour me on the entire series, I haven't watched it since it aired.

I also watched DS9 after this and it was fun noticing all the similarities.

Rewatch Voyager before you do your next rewatch. Imagining Ron Moore just noping the fuck out of Voyager and going to make his own Sci-Fi show about a ship stranded on it's own, but with blackjack and hookers, is so satisfying.

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatch Voyager before you do your next rewatch. Imagining Ron Moore just noping the fuck out of Voyager and going to make his own Sci-Fi show about a ship stranded on it's own, but with blackjack and hookers, is so satisfying.
Yeah, I'll probably try to finish Voyager before watching BSG again. Gods help me I'll finish that freaking show one day.

I have some issues with BSG, but boy did it execute its concept better. Never have I seen a show abandon its premise as fast as Voyager did.

Btmmayor

Jun 4, 2018
"Lets make Chief is a Cylon. Crap he had a kid with Cally. We can't have two Human/Cylon hybrids. We'll have to make it so Cally cheated on him with *draws name from a hat* Hot dog? Meh whatever".

Isnt it hinted very early on that the chief may be a cylon with his strange visions and the visit from priest Cavil?

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Isnt it hinted very early on that the chief may be a cylon with his strange visions and the visit from priest Cavil?

Not really. Cavil's just trying to sow doubt, and he banks on Tyrol's stress-induced nightmare.

In any case, the writers have been clear that they decided upon the Final Five only shortly before the reveal and only on the basis of what would make for the most interesting future stories. In fact, I believe either Eick or Moore explicitly mentioned in the aftershow podcast that they retroactively made Nicky Hot Dog's biological son simply because they realized Hera wouldn't otherwise be the only half-human half-Cylon.

The writers' strike really hurt the plotting of season four, but the writers were already winging it in season three. The series/story bible got them through New Caprica, but after that...

(To be fair, Black Market is the worst episode of the series, and it's from season 2.)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Just finished my rewatch a few nights ago. I swear that stretch between the rescue from New Caprica and the end of season 3 becomes better each time I watch it. I remember it dragging so much when I first watched it and now it's packed with great character stuff.

I'm curious what form the supposed film rereboot will take if they ever settle on a writer.